Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

BIZORT posted:

I was reluctant to come to this bitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0PdlcSL23k

I don't know how I never saw this until now

JR Rider! Long time no see. Man, this NBA routine of interviewing dudes the second they leave the shower is really weird. Let a guy put on his pants first.

Did someon link this already? Grantland on Denver rookie Jusuf Nurkic:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/modern-goon-jusuf-nurkic-denver-nuggets/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Everyone is assuming the knicks will sign some B tier free agents, but I don't know, it might be more like C tier.

Lamarcus, Kawhi, Marc Gasol are probably not leaving their teams. Marc Gasol has been talked about, but he grew up in Memphis and his team is really good. People have talked about Greg Monroe, but Detroit did eat Josh Smith's salary on his behalf, and things look much brighter.

Their class will be more like Enes Kanter, Wesley Johnson/Matthews, Gary Neal, and Chase Budinger, rather than Gasol or Kawhi.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Jack's Flow posted:

JR Rider! Long time no see. Man, this NBA routine of interviewing dudes the second they leave the shower is really weird. Let a guy put on his pants first.

Battier always insisted on putting on a collared shirt so I think you have the option to put on clothes, maybe JR Rider just doesn't give a gently caress.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Bismack has been awesome, and a key reason why the Hornets won some games. He was awesome last year, but he fouled constantly so he couldn't play.

http://bballbreakdown.com/2015/02/04/how-bismack-biyombo-helped-turn-around-the-hornets-season/

quote:

The Hornets’ one stretch of real success this season came when starters Al Jefferson and Lance Stephenson were out with injuries. During Jefferson’s absence, the Hornets put up an 8-3 record, including wins against the Toronto Raptors and Miami Heat, all coming on the strength of their defense. The offense continued to struggle, putting up an Offensive Rating of 101.5 over those eleven games. The defense, however, improved dramatically, stifling opposing offense to the tune of a 95.2 Defensive Rating.

The biggest reason for the Hornets’ defensive success over that 11 game stretch was the increased minutes for Bismack Biyombo. While Jefferson has given up a terrible 55.2% field goal percentage to opposing players at the rim this year, Biyombo has held opponents to a 47.8% shooting percentage in the same system. And that difference in rim protection translates to the entire team’s efficiency. When Jefferson is on the court this year, the Hornets defensive rating is 103.9., but when Biyombo is on the court, the Hornets defensive rating plummets to 96.5.

Biyombo’s quickness allows him to affect shots that the slower-footed Jefferson simply cannot affect. Those shots come in all forms, including in transition.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I'm glad Bismack is an NBA quality player because his name is the best to say fake PA guy style.

BIIIIIIIIISMACK BIYOMBO

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

chunkles posted:

I'm glad Bismack is an NBA quality player because his name is the best to say fake PA guy style.

BIIIIIIIIISMACK BIYOMBO

An underrated fun name to say is DAM JAN RRUUUUUUUUUUUDEEZZZZZZZH

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Igor Strelkov posted:

Lamarcus, Kawhi, Marc Gasol are probably not leaving their teams.

You named everyone the Spurs are going to sign this offseason!

I can't wait to see all those built not bought idiots still cheer really hard for the Spurs.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Igor Strelkov posted:

Bismack has been awesome, and a key reason why the Hornets won some games. He was awesome last year, but he fouled constantly so he couldn't play.

http://bballbreakdown.com/2015/02/04/how-bismack-biyombo-helped-turn-around-the-hornets-season/

Biz learned to play team defense in the offseason, and it's been a real treat to see him put things together. They've been fine over the recent stretch with Al Jefferson, though — since he returned seven games ago the defense is actually better than that 95.2 mark. The biggest change has been playing a bunch of scrub teams since the new year and giving heavy minutes to the Gerald Henderson/Michael Kidd-Gilchrist combo, which has been great defensively.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Put it together or contract year?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

Put it together or contract year?

Effort has never been Biyombo's problem

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Igor Strelkov posted:

Everyone is assuming the knicks will sign some B tier free agents, but I don't know, it might be more like C tier.

Lamarcus, Kawhi, Marc Gasol are probably not leaving their teams. Marc Gasol has been talked about, but he grew up in Memphis and his team is really good. People have talked about Greg Monroe, but Detroit did eat Josh Smith's salary on his behalf, and things look much brighter.

Their class will be more like Enes Kanter, Wesley Johnson/Matthews, Gary Neal, and Chase Budinger, rather than Gasol or Kawhi.

Can Detroit afford to keep Monroe? I don't know how the Josh Smith contract affects the cap going forward but didn't they lose Monroe's bird rights by giving him the QO?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I THINK they still maintain his bird rights, they just have lost the ability to match any offers he gets.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Can Detroit afford to keep Monroe? I don't know how the Josh Smith contract affects the cap going forward but didn't they lose Monroe's bird rights by giving him the QO?

No, whatever team that trades for him loses his bird rights. That's what gives Monroe power in negotiations until the offseason.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

38ish on the books, with stretch provisioned Smith, even with probable deals for Jerebko and Kyle Singler they have enough to give him the huge deal he wants. To his credit he's been a much more complete player this year. Not a max player, but they're sort of stuck paying him like that.

They have his bird rights, like Rick said, they just lost their restricted free agent powers. He's an unrestricted free agent this offseason.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Huh, the Pels signed Toney Douglas to a 10 day contract.

This also means they gave up on Nate Wolters.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Between summer league and watching him destroy the worst team in the history of Iowa basketball in person I will forever have an irrationally high opinion of Nate Wolters no matter how many times he gets cut in favor of garbage.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I have an NBA history question. How good was Danny Manning?

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy

Igor Strelkov posted:

Pre-Injury he was like Perry Jones those few weeks he was putting up 28 points per game while Durant was out.

Won a Championship for Larry Brown, got drafted by the Clippers, then he got injured.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Igor Strelkov posted:

Pretty good. Not amazing, not in the conversation for "tragically had his career cut short by injury could've been an all time great curse the basketball gods" but pretty good.

College career definitely outweighs pro potential

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Had he pulled the move when drafted against anyone other than the Clippers he probably would've been branded a malcontent and could have been possibly blackballed (especially back then when it was a lot easier to do that sort of thing), but, I think people actually had sympathy for him because Sterling's rep was already well established by then.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He was hurt immediately back when an ACL tear was a bigger deal than it is now (and eventually needed surgery on the other knee too), so it's hard to say, but he had a couple solid offensive seasons before he started getting hurt again. A couple of those All Star teams were a result of him being a big name from his college days but he was a good player for a bit. He had a few nice seasons off the bench for the Suns later too. Not as good as he could have been, but not a career he should be ashamed of or anything. Seems like he's going to be a good college coach too.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 5, 2015

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Kibner posted:

I thought all stem cell treatments and such were banned in the US, but I guess I'm so incredibly out of the loop on what the current policy for that kind of stuff is.

There are two main kinds: Embryonic and adult. The vast majority of people don't care about adult stem cells or believe that manipulation is tantamount to murder. Craig Sager had treatments a few months ago and got a bone marrow transplant (stem cells) from his son. More people are having autologous treatment (ones own cells) for health issues/cancers as well. It's only going to grow in importance and significance as more realize the benefits.

However, embryonic stem cell research/use is the one that freaks many people out. Some think doing things with a 4-5 day old embryo is murderous. That's why it's felonious to do research in some areas of the US. :cripes:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

:laffo:

Adam Silver commissioner for life :allears:

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010

Dexo posted:

That loving owns.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Dexo posted:

The NBA continues to be the most fun pro league

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
This is actually a long con from the league, now they can just give best Executive to the Entire Front office of the Hawks rather than giving it to the African hating Danny Ferry.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Not that I think much of the sanctity of the KIA conference player of the month award, but that's really stupid.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Not that I think much of the sanctity of the KIA conference player of the month award, but that's really stupid.

yeah I know fun sucks amirite

hot salad
Jun 25, 2005

Did you just say
the word 'scoff'?

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Is it? All of these awards are totally meaningless because there's no actual criteria for winning them (and also no one gives a poo poo about them anyway), why not throw in something interesting/different once in a while?

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

It's all fun and games until Jeff Teague gets into the hall of fame on the back of being 1/5 of a player of the month

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Plus, we all know the Hawks usually dominate the spotlight compared to the other teams in the league.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Have a dunk
https://vine.co/v/OFXQMYU1wTJ

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MV I have a present for you.

(click for big and alternate :swoon: angle)

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

IcePhoenix posted:

MV I have a present for you.

(click for big and alternate :swoon: angle)

I actually said "whoa!" out loud when I saw this.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

cool then cool then cool then hilarious

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Have another dunk. (RIP Beal)

https://vine.co/v/OFXL2pe6rD2

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
the raptors officially are bad now

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I was going to write an entire rant about how much I hate Casey and how fraudulent/underachieving this Raptor team is/will prove to be but then I realized no one really cared. It's times like these that I wish wish there weren't so many bad coaches and teams in the league so my bitching about my team's lovely rear end coach was relevant.

Maybe if I get bored/inspired/angry tomorrow I'll write up a detailed breakdown on why they suck.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I'd appreciate it. Helps me vent.

@Bennet dunk. I love Bennet dunks. The dude has so much mass, watching him dunk on someone is like watching a dude have an anvil thrown at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I just checked the standings and Toronto seems pretty ok

• Locked thread