Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

New Crobuzon?

I want to be able to build a city inside the remains of a dead, giant monster. I need this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

"You have struck false ribs...?!"

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Could you possibly do an advanced tutorial on how to thrive in various evil regions?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I did not know Captain Duck was registered here. Huh.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

GreyPowerVan posted:

I did not know Captain Duck was registered here. Huh.

I started my LP career right here on SA, way back in 2007, a couple of months after Slowbeef thought us the way of the VLP. The old LP's are even on the LParchive

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Captain_duck posted:

I started my LP career right here on SA, way back in 2007, a couple of months after Slowbeef thought us the way of the VLP. The old LP's are even on the LParchive

Wow, that's cool. I learned to play from DFVIVTUTS 2012 (I think it was 2012?)

Thanks for the content, without that I wouldn't be wasting literal days of my life on dwarf fortress now.

Saitorr
Dec 23, 2008

YES THE CARPET MATCHES THE DRAPES IN BOTH COLOR AND LENGTH

TildeATH posted:

They might be claimed by the hospital.

Wouldn't they get moved to the hospital then? I have plenty of thread being stored in there already, and my adamantine thread stockpile is purposefully far away from the hospital.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hospitals have been known to claim cloth and thread from merchants the instant they spawn on the map. Hospitals are weird.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Captain_duck posted:

Hey, what's a good way to send you a private message? I've pledged $1/mo to you through that website, but I don't want to be dwarfed by my real name in future videos!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I remember there being some interest in a Masterwork LP, I've been considering doing a Warlock LP. Would anyone care if I use a randomly genned world over the presets that Masterwork comes with?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

The standard world generator doesn't let you turn off things like the stock vampires, werecreatures and other evil poo poo. If MW has replaced any of those with its own versions, you'll be in a fix.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is there a dfhack or other trick to make the site finder filter on "has at least this much tree"?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Masterwork runs fine on worlds you gen vs the pregen worlds it comes with. It doesn't replace the stock curses it just adds new ones afaik.

scamtank posted:

The standard world generator doesn't let you turn off things like the stock vampires, werecreatures and other evil poo poo. If MW has replaced any of those with its own versions, you'll be in a fix.

What happens if you set the Vampire Curse Types and Werewolf Curse Types to 0 in advanced parameters? I know you can eliminate bogeymen by changing their types to 0.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 4, 2015

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Moridin920 posted:

What happens if you set the Vampire Curse Types and Werewolf Curse Types to 0 in advanced parameters? I know you can eliminate bogeymen by changing their types to 0.

No vampires or werewolves.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

necrotic posted:

Hey, what's a good way to send you a private message? I've pledged $1/mo to you through that website, but I don't want to be dwarfed by my real name in future videos!

Check out my Patreon Activity Page. If your logged in you should see the link to a google form where you can sign up for dwarfing. And otherwise i got twitter, facebook, twitch links on my patreon page.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Captain_duck posted:

Check out my Patreon Activity Page. If your logged in you should see the link to a google form where you can sign up for dwarfing. And otherwise i got twitter, facebook, twitch links on my patreon page.

Oh, sweet! I completely missed that part of the page.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it just me or are enemies smarter now? I have noticed that goblins no longer merrily march through a corridor full of weapon traps; instead, after the first one or two has been killed by traps they just stop and stand outside the corridor. Is anyone else noticing this, and if so then is there a workaround?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Maybe they're getting horrified at the gore and splatter and corpses in the trap corridor? Give it a cleansing rinse every so often?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Arrath posted:

Maybe they're getting horrified at the gore and splatter and corpses in the trap corridor? Give it a cleansing rinse every so often?

This'd be my guess. If you could but hear them, they'd probably be all "Death is all around us. Begone fear!"

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In my most recent two fortresses, this has occurred even with the first siege. I thought it was a pathing issue at first, so I widened the corridor. Even at 5 tiles wide, I will only get one goblin per trap in the first line of traps (so 5 goblins in the second fort) before the rest of them just decide to stand around doing nothing. Sending a single sacrificial militia dwarf into their line of sight gets them moving again, but I would prefer to not have to do that. I am presently working on making their approach a firing range for siege engines in the hope that being impaled by ballista arrows will motivate them to move (or die), but nothing like the trap corridor in Fogwall (or previous 1-tile wide designs I have used in the past) works for me.

To be fair, I, too, would be horrified if I was running along and all of a sudden the guy in front of me got ripped apart by a large, green glass serrated disc buzzsaw made of broken beer bottles.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I wish you could make traps that fire serrated discs in a direction. So instead of just having the goblins march through weapon traps, you have them march down a narrow corridor until one of them steps on the pressure plate and a barrage of *green glass large, serrated disc*s down the hallway, cutting through goblins and shattering to kill other goblins.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you left out the part where a random beekeeper gets their head lopped off by a stray glass shard

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

That's why you do it in an enclosed area obviously.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i forget, has toady implemented realistic ricochet physics yet

if not, why not

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i forget, has toady implemented realistic ricochet physics yet

if not, why not

I am not sure how realistic they are, but objects bouncing around are how the Coinstar variant of Danger Rooms works to train Armor User and Dodge.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Nietzschean posted:

Is it just me or are enemies smarter now? I have noticed that goblins no longer merrily march through a corridor full of weapon traps; instead, after the first one or two has been killed by traps they just stop and stand outside the corridor. Is anyone else noticing this, and if so then is there a workaround?

They've been doing this to me ever since I started playing, way back in 40d

Did they not do this to everyone else?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe it's me that's the oddity then? :shobon: In the past, goblins have always just merrily marched through trapped hallways to be captured or killed with no regard to the guys in front of them.

Quantum Milkman
Jun 18, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

They've been doing this to me ever since I started playing, way back in 40d

Did they not do this to everyone else?

I'm not sure about as far back as 40d, but I definitely remember that they did this in the 0.34 versions, and possibly even back in 0.31.

I recall from discussion at the time that it was because goblins now make note of where traps are, and aren't willing to knowingly walk headlong to their death/incarceration any more. Effectively, after they've seen a trap go off on a tile, they treat that tile as non-pathable. This means that it is still possible to trap enemies if the traps don't totally block the way into your fort, as the random wandering of individual members of a squad will cause them to deviate from the safe path.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I guess either there was something that by default disabled that in the version of the DF2012 LNP that I used to play, or that I just had some bugs in my favour. Oh well!

So a hallway with a zigzag path of trap-free tiles ought to get goblins to inadvertently trigger the majority of the traps through pathing variation?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
For me invaders have always stopped after seeing a few of the ones in front get slaughtered by traps. I always figured it was due to the 'invaders stop moving or doing anything after the squad leader dies' bug, since the squad leader is out in front. Would be cool to know that they do in fact take traps into account after seeing others get killed.

If it is the only accessible way in, eventually they'll charge the traps though (in my experience).

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

quote:

Enemies vs Traps

Yes I'm pretty sure the behaviour is consistent with goblins becoming 'aware' of traps they see activated, and no longer pathing through that square as a means to get into the fort. It's probably more complex than that - after all an activated cage trap is no longer a threat, but maybe it makes thm aware of traps on adjacent tiles too? Or maybe they just refuse to path over their caged buddy fearing there's some smaller cage waiting to jump out at them.

In any case, they don't seem to communicate this information to friendlies who didn't see it happen, as during my turn running Fogwall the goblins that made it in through other routes happily marched one by one back out of the fort via the trap hallway, getting caged one after the other.

Zereth posted:

I wish you could make traps that fire serrated discs in a direction. So instead of just having the goblins march through weapon traps, you have them march down a narrow corridor until one of them steps on the pressure plate and a barrage of *green glass large, serrated disc*s down the hallway, cutting through goblins and shattering to kill other goblins.

It would be (relatively) trivial to set up a simplified Shotgun Trap Consisting of a single minecart, roller, and exploit-y ramp accelerator barrel one Z-level below your hallway, with the roller hooked up to a pressure plate at the start of the kill-zone.

Shotguns are a lot of fun even if it requires the head-explodeyness of learning minecart tracks and the like. You can even fire Goblin POWs at their comrades, which while not as effective as being shredded by glass disks or steel spikes, is absolutely hilarious.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

I always figured it was due to the 'invaders stop moving or doing anything after the squad leader dies' bug, since the squad leader is out in front.

This is my understanding.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Can you stick AMMO: tags on trap components? I can't think of any reason you couldn't.

Then, all you need is an appropriate launcher.

Quantum Milkman
Jun 18, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

I always figured it was due to the 'invaders stop moving or doing anything after the squad leader dies' bug, since the squad leader is out in front.

Oh, yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Maybe I was just misinformed/misremembering then. It was only a vague half-memory from years ago.

On the other hand, I definitely remember that in 40d if you pissed off the humans, their siegers would never storm your fort if the entrance was totally blocked by traps, as their earlier caravans informed them of the location of the traps. But they would still be unaware of any traps that you had built since the last human caravan.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zereth posted:

You can do this with upright spear traps. Have 100 of the things all linked to one pressure plate or lever. Pressure plates are better for getting the timing perfect, but levers let you trigger the trap every few seconds. You can make menacing spikes out of glass, just like serrated discs.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Quantum Milkman posted:

On the other hand, I definitely remember that in 40d if you pissed off the humans, their siegers would never storm your fort if the entrance was totally blocked by traps, as their earlier caravans informed them of the location of the traps. But they would still be unaware of any traps that you had built since the last human caravan.

Traps still totally have the "observed_by_civs" table. I can see a few in Fogwall that have been indeed spotted by entity 228, a human civilization.

I couldn't tell you what makes humans specifically have that reputation, though, or if others do that at all. If anyone has a save with goblins shying away from traps, I could easily check.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Can you make trapdoors that open when enemy units step on them yet? Or cover a hole with twigs? I always wanted to use holes with spikes as regular traps and not lever activated poo poo but I could never make it work. I want to drop goblins into an underground horror zoo filled with monsters and their impaled kin.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I finally broke down and made my first quantum stockpile today.

Holy poo poo! This changes everything about fortress design.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Demiurge4 posted:

Can you make trapdoors that open when enemy units step on them yet? Or cover a hole with twigs? I always wanted to use holes with spikes as regular traps and not lever activated poo poo but I could never make it work. I want to drop goblins into an underground horror zoo filled with monsters and their impaled kin.

Only thing I can think of that's close is a platform held up by a single support linked to a pressure plate on the platform itself, the platform being accessible diagonally (creatures will path on to it but it will not be supported by diagonally adjacent tiles)from the surface. The falling earth would destroy any spikes at the bottom I think, but cave-ins are usually fatal enough anyway, and the spikes or whatever will get thrown around the dust cloud like a blender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I wonder if you could script a trap to teleport a guy one Z-level down. Position coordinates are pretty easily accessed.