Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

PrinceRandom posted:

I've been out of ck2 since Charlemagne came out, is ck2+ dead? Is it just HiP now?

CK2+ has kept up a fairly consistent update schedule since Charlemagne was announced (and in fact we released a new version yesterday that adds some new diplomatic interactions to the faction system, among other things).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nobody got shitbombed, I'm not buying that crap.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Come on, they're not even trying with the Ye Olde Englishe on the fake proverb.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
If I wanted to mod the converter now, what would I need to do? The files used to be in the common folder, and it was easy to replicate that, but now it looks like it's in the DLC folder all zipped up? Where do I put the files?

Edit: vv Yes, and lots of it.

catlord fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 4, 2015

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder if there's any official history leading up to the Lux Invicta starting point.

And if anyone else has obtained these mods without the PI forums.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

catlord posted:

If I wanted to mod the converter now, what would I need to do? The files used to be in the common folder, and it was easy to replicate that, but now it looks like it's in the DLC folder all zipped up? Where do I put the files?

That's... strange. I wonder why they moved it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

That's... strange. I wonder why they moved it.

For compatability reasons if I remember right, so you can drop in, say, the Converter Improvement Mod and convert over an ironman save. When it was in the common folder it, modding it changed the checksum.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
But then how do I edit the converter? Do I just have to download the converter mod just to mod it?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
My firstborn son with the lovely stats just asked me to allow him to become a monk, paving the way for his genius younger brother to inherit everything (primogeniture). Something will go terribly wrong, won't it? :ohdear:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I got fed up of the constant infighting between France, Middle Francia, Germany, Aquitaine and Burgundy. Mostly over France land, and mostly involving me being called in by my one-sided allies.
So I invaded France. The ruler was a woman, so I found some random bum in my court with a weak claim, gave him a county in Brittany and pressed his claim. Annoyingly, despite France being a complete pushover, the Queen was married to the King of Lombardy, who kept shipping troops in.

Still, the humanitarian mission is now over. The Kingdom of France is now a vassal of the Empire of Prydain.

Next is the Holy War the Umayyads called over some worthless counties one of my vassals owns, and then I can see about ending Middle Francia's ceaseless requests for aid. Permanently.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Torrannor posted:

My firstborn son with the lovely stats just asked me to allow him to become a monk, paving the way for his genius younger brother to inherit everything (primogeniture). Something will go terribly wrong, won't it? :ohdear:

So tell us about your third-in-line :allears:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Eric the Mauve posted:

So tell us about your third-in-line :allears:

I only have two sons, and my firstborn daughter is married in a normal marriage to the Karling emperor of Francia... I think I can see where this is going.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Torrannor posted:

I only have two sons, and my firstborn daughter is married in a normal marriage to the Karling emperor of Francia... I think I can see where this is going.

Hahahahahahaha gl;hf :cawg:

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Torrannor posted:

In my current game, for two generations now my carefully-groomed first born has died early (ish, my rulers seem to live well into their late 60s, even 70s lately), but not before having an heir himself, leaving me scrambling to groom that one before I kick the bucket, as well as having to rethink how I'm going to re-org my rapidly expanding holdings (thanks to nearly all of my neighbors being heretics - yay holy war!). So now I make sure to keep a closer on a couple more layers of heirnitude, there.

And speaking of genius, early on in this game while still a Count I had an imbecile courtier show up with straight up 0 in every stat. A few months later the Queen of Aquitaine comes knocking asking to marry the guy.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

And that's the story of why Ultimogeniture is better.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I've been using a mix of tanistry and feudal elective I'm just happy to have my titles go to the same heir.

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.

Eric the Mauve posted:

And that's the story of why Ultimogeniture is better.
Except when a child inherits and you get knocked down three Crown Authority levels with no say in the matter.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The AI should be more likely to accept surrender in a war.

I'm the Roman Empire and the Aztecs invaded. I'm like cool, whatever, I'm huge and can beat them in a war, but at least they'll shake poo poo up around here. Then they invaded France, and I realized that this was a good opportunity since France had recently been conquered by my vassal king of Italy (who pushed his own claim, what a dick) so I could let the Aztecs take it and weaken my annoyingly powerful superking vassal, then conquer it back for someone who isn't the King of Italy. I fought a few battles to grind down their event stacks but didn't try super hard, and so they started slowly sieging down French provinces. Warscore got up to about 80% in their favour, and they still won't accept a surrender (aka. "Give you what you want") because "Thing are certainly going my way". Like yeah, no poo poo they are, I'm letting you take as much of Fritaly as you want before I smack you around and take it back for vassal management reasons. Still, warscore is slowly ticking up as they siege more holdings so it's all good.

Then they get involved in a couple more wars in Spain and Aquitaine, I think a rebellion broke out too, and they sent all their armies over there to fight what's going on there. They actually have very few armies left (I killed almost all their event troops) so purposely losing fights to them isn't really an option to make warscore decline further, and they're no longer sieging any of France so warscore is no longer increasing. They still won't accept peace, even though it would hand over France to them and leave them free to focus on their other wars. Fuckers are wise to my tricks.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

vyelkin posted:

I'm the Roman Empire and the Aztecs invaded. I'm like cool, whatever, I'm huge and can beat them in a war, but at least they'll shake poo poo up around here. Then they invaded France, and I realized that this was a good opportunity since France had recently been conquered by my vassal king of Italy (who pushed his own claim, what a dick) so I could let the Aztecs take it and weaken my annoyingly powerful superking vassal, then conquer it back for someone who isn't the King of Italy. I fought a few battles to grind down their event stacks but didn't try super hard, and so they started slowly sieging down French provinces. Warscore got up to about 80% in their favour, and they still won't accept a surrender (aka. "Give you what you want") because "Thing are certainly going my way". Like yeah, no poo poo they are, I'm letting you take as much of Fritaly as you want before I smack you around and take it back for vassal management reasons. Still, warscore is slowly ticking up as they siege more holdings so it's all good.

Then they get involved in a couple more wars in Spain and Aquitaine, I think a rebellion broke out too, and they sent all their armies over there to fight what's going on there. They actually have very few armies left (I killed almost all their event troops) so purposely losing fights to them isn't really an option to make warscore decline further, and they're no longer sieging any of France so warscore is no longer increasing. They still won't accept peace, even though it would hand over France to them and leave them free to focus on their other wars. Fuckers are wise to my tricks.

The idea is "I'm clearly winning, that means I can take even more if I just prolong the war", since it's an invasion and the occupied stuff counts. At least I think that's how the AI reasons.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

vyelkin posted:

For Invasion-style CBs specifically, the AI is annoyingly unlikely to accept surrenders early because it's going for the bonus prize of "getting to replace as many vassals as it can post-war", like a player usually will. It should probably have noticed all the other wars it was involved in, though. I wonder if tweaking the peace acceptance weights on that CB will change its behaviour noticably?

edit: beaten, but yeah, that's how they think. There's a section in the CB files that's called "ai_victory_weight" or something like that which somehow (it is not entirely clear) influences how the AI treats peace proposals for each CB.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I won the Holy War against Africa (who had the bizarre idea of fighting a war for Tunis by invading the British Isles) and then, while I was in the process of fighting the Umayyads, I managed to capture a surprise...
My Antichrist Genius half-brother who'd previously been banished for leading an army against me.

He's now locked in my dungeon while I decide what to do. Part of me wants to release him so he can go back to being a slightly incompetent villain. On the other hand, he did kill one of our brothers and I'm not sure I can let that stand.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Torrannor posted:

oh poo poo. :laffo:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Time to kill the in-laws again ...

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TheMcD posted:

The idea is "I'm clearly winning, that means I can take even more if I just prolong the war", since it's an invasion and the occupied stuff counts. At least I think that's how the AI reasons.

Yeah, I'm sure this is it, but they should probably recognize how much damage I've already done to their army and how much more damage I could do with the army ten times their size if I really wanted to, and accept the peace so that they can focus on their other wars.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Is there a way to tell when the various moral-authority-increasing events will expire (without manually keeping track of everything on a piece of paper or whatever)? I've been trying to reform the Zun for decades, but whenever I get MA close to 50% a few county-conquest or temple bonuses expire and I'm back down in the mid-low 40s. :mad:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Grouchio posted:

I wonder if there's any official history leading up to the Lux Invicta starting point.

And if anyone else has obtained these mods without the PI forums.

Per their wiki, its basically a set of alt-condition butterfly wings that lead to maximum diversity with a catalyst point of Constantine going MIA at Milvian Bridge:

quote:

-The worship of Sol Invictus became the official religion of the Roman Empire and remained so in the East - where Imperial authority remained strong initially. Christianity did not gain a lasting foothold in most Roman controlled Eastern Mediterranean. The Eastern Empire became very anti-Christian.

-Christianity did thrive in the West and was adopted by a variety of invading peoples. Arianism is alive and well. Crusading happened earlier than in our reality, with several holy war initiatives aimed at the Eastern Mediterranean area. Several crusader states exist, from island realms to Jerusalem itself.

-Muslim expansion was not as successful as in real life - the Sassanids managed to stop them and survive. They were stopped in Northern Syria by the Romans, but managed to conquer most of North Africa - a notable exception being the Vandal Kingdom of Carthage. They did manage to establish themselves in Southern Spain but did not manage to thoroughly defeat the Visigoths - they are alive and well.

-General fragmentation /successor state syndrome - (partly because I dislike starting big, partly because I like to have many interesting playable options available) The Roman Empire (Eastern) is in tatters following rebellions/various crises - and so is pretty much every other former power. You get to try to rebuild the bigger states, plus experience some very interesting (imho) smaller powers such as the Kingdom of Palmyra (a former long term vassal of the ERE) or the Exarchate of Ravenna.

-Alexander and company were more successful than in our reality. Hellenism was much more stubborn in its grip. The Diadokhoi managed to hold on to some areas and the world was changed forever.

Unfortunately though as of last week the latest Lux Invicta build crashes to desktop when you start a new game.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

I've just been reading a Dwarf Fortress LP, and I'm wondering if anyone's done a CK2 succession LP. I would imagine it'd be kind of fun, but I've never seen a succession game for CK2 on these forums. I assume you'd set some minimum times for play length since changing every ruler might lead to extremely short turns for some of the players, but is there anything that makes it a bad idea?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Coward posted:

I've just been reading a Dwarf Fortress LP, and I'm wondering if anyone's done a CK2 succession LP. I would imagine it'd be kind of fun, but I've never seen a succession game for CK2 on these forums. I assume you'd set some minimum times for play length since changing every ruler might lead to extremely short turns for some of the players, but is there anything that makes it a bad idea?

Huzzah!

Things seem to have been going fairly well, though there are the typical delays that come with being on a waiting list for ages and suddenly being told that your turn is up and you're not ready because you've got other poo poo to do.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
After having their event troops smashed, the Aztecs married a bunch of Indian women, whose children then promptly went Jewish. Now they're slowly holy-warring the rest of Africa under the Aztec banner. I think they're heading for Jerusalem. I have no idea how any of that happened. I don't think it should even be possible in the game mechanics, but I wish them the best of luck. Godspeed you history-breaking weirdos.

The Golden Horde and the Ilkhanate wasted all their time fighting each other, and lost all their event troops before they could do anything useful. It's just those two and the Seljuks having a great big slapfight out on the Steppes now, but nobody has the manpower required to actually get anything done.

First time I've played a game and actually got around to the hordes arriving, and they kind of sucked. Here's hoping the Timurids can make more of an impression.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So this isn't exactly a CK2 question, but do you guys have any good books you'd like to recommend about this time period? I am getting into the whole Carolingian Renaissance deal, and I'd like to read more about it! Also any good books about medieval Europe / the church in general would be nice too!

Thanks!

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So this isn't exactly a CK2 question, but do you guys have any good books you'd like to recommend about this time period? I am getting into the whole Carolingian Renaissance deal, and I'd like to read more about it! Also any good books about medieval Europe / the church in general would be nice too!

Thanks!

A World Lit Only By Fire is a good idea of where society is probably heading at the end of the game, and talks a lot about the power of the Church and the... proclivities of some of Europe's monarchs (it turns out they played the game about how most of us do) but its subject is very much the Renaissance as opposed to the Middle Ages.

So I guess I'd appreciate any good recommendations on the period(s) the game covers too! American education has left more gaps than not.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Thanks!

The Fourth Crusade and the Sack of Constantinople by Jonathan Phillips is a pretty good read, although it deals more with the politics of the era rather than the church (which is fitting, since the Crusades themselves were nearly 100% politically motivated anyway)

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

TheMcD posted:

Huzzah!

Things seem to have been going fairly well, though there are the typical delays that come with being on a waiting list for ages and suddenly being told that your turn is up and you're not ready because you've got other poo poo to do.

Thanks for that! Huh, have no idea how I missed that.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
Try The Inheritance of Rome by Chris Wickham, it's all about how different regions reacted to the 'Dark Ages'

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I'm playing as the Rurikids in the Old Gods start, and I had a pretty awesome firstborn heir, attractive, quick, great stats and traits, 23 loving Martial score, who loving got his stupid rear end killed in battle literally three months after he assumed the throne, in a completely routine subjugation war against an unimportant minor independent county in Finland. His replacement is his lovely brother, titled 'the Lewd', who is attractive, lustful, gregarious, a master of seduction with a trail of bastard children and spurned lovers throughout Holmgardr...and dumb as a loving post, with no Martial, Stewardship, Intrigue, or Learning to speak of and just enough Diplomacy to get by.

The worst part is that the awesome king's wife was, like, five months pregnant with a son, so King Useless Party Animal Manwhore takes the throne, and then a few months later, a Genius baby is born who would have been the heir, if his dad had lasted a bit longer. :negative:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Thanks!

Millennium: The End of the World and the Forging of Christendom is really good. It covers post-Carolingan Europe in a pretty general fashion, running up to around the Norman invasion of England. The sections talking about how fractious the French dukes and counts were under the Capets is especially relevant.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

I liked the Tom Holland book "In the shadow of the sword" covers the collapse of the Sassanids and Ere and rise Islam including the collpase of the Umyads (sp). So the lead up to the cm start date. Really interesting time.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

I liked the Tom Holland book "In the shadow of the sword" covers the collapse of the Sassanids and Ere and rise Islam including the collpase of the Umyads (sp). So the lead up to the cm start date. Really interesting time.

That one's a mixed bag among folks.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

How so? I know its not exactly deep scholarship but I thought it was nice for a narrative history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
ive played a combied 3000 hours of fps games on steam

hey lets try that ck2 game

what in the fuuuuuuuuuck this game owns

Shions of Qud

• Locked thread