Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Lol but why is it a monthly bill

Probably easier than buying 365 pairs of underwear in bulk.

https://meundies.com/products/The-365-Pack

Must be nice to never wash underwear, ever. Wear it once and burn it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Rofl thats kind of weird but you know what, I appreciate the honesty

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Teeter posted:

Ahahahahaa holy poo poo

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Rofl thats kind of weird but you know what, I appreciate the honesty

its a nice way to get new underwear with fun prints on it. much better than wearing hanes or fruit of the loom all the time :shrug:

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
You could also mark all the income for February and bust your January budget. If you go overbudget you automatically lose the appropriate amount in the following month.

While exceeding your budget is a bad habit to get into, if you're on the cusp of having the money on hand to budget out all expenses on the first of the month, it's easier to blow one month's budget and then be on step 4 instead of wrangling split incomes that you readjust every time you spend money for the next 3 days.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Teeter posted:

SaltLick probably appreciates that. So much easier than having to remember to stuff them in her purse each morning

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013

Captain Magic posted:

So let's say I will have enough in my buffer at the end of February to pay for March's bills. But, at the same time that I have plenty of money in that buffer, I get a paycheck at the end of February which normally would go toward March. So, now, that paycheck goes toward the buffer for April. I get two paychecks from one job during March which go straight to the buffer for April. I have another paycheck at the end of March from my online business which also goes to the buffer--which conceivably would pay for...May?
There are a couple of ways you can handle it. What it sounds like to me is that you're currently having budget overflows every month and are budgeting several months ahead. That's fine if it works for you. You always know how far out you can live if income stops today.

Another way is to use income from February for March's budget, and anything you don't need throw into a long-term savings or emergency fund line-item. Every month you budget to zero. Then everything you earn in March gets budgeted for April, and excess goes to long-term savings.

Captain Magic posted:

As a related question--are you guys including money set aside for savings and spending money when you pay from last month's income (i.e. you've got enough for that in your buffer), or is just the mandatory stuff like rent/groceries etc?
Yes, I do that. Money earned in January is budgeted in all categories in February, and that includes savings and spending money. It's the same as living hand-to-mouth, except you get a lump sum at the beginning of every month, and don't have to worry about running out of cash before your next paycheck.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013

HonorableTB posted:

Okay I'm confused about how to do this. I got paid today, but January isn't over, and I still have expenses for January (last rent payment for Feb plus groceries and such). How do I categorize this income? Income for January or February? If I do it for February, will I have to fudge the transaction dates for everything I buy today to make it jive? I don't want to put another rent payment in February because I'm already going to have two of them that month to pay for March and it will throw my numbers off. Do I set it as income for January? But the problem with that is that I have bills that need to be paid *in February*, but are due before my next check comes in, so they need to be paid this pay period. But I've already paid those bills for January, and adding more money to the categories for January means my numbers for Feb will be off.

Goddamn I hate not being paid on the 15th and 30th/31st of the month like I used to. I get paid every second Friday now, no matter when that date falls, and it makes this a lot harder than it should be.
I think you may be making this more complicated for yourself. If you're not a month ahead, then just mark it as income for January, and budget the numbers for your bills that are due before your next paycheck. The budgeted values carry over month to month if you don't spend them. You'll budget in January, spend in February. Edit: or just let the money roll over in "available to budget", and put them in February if that feels better. I'm not sure what numbers are going to be "off". The reports track money spent, not money budgeted.

If I'm reading you right, you make multiple payments a month for rent? Is there a special reason for that, or are you just Australian?

I think you could benefit from getting to Step 4. Then there will be no more "I gotta pay this before my next paycheck" because everything will be available on the 1st of every month. It doesn't matter if you get paid January 1 or 31, because it always becomes available to budget on February 1. These days I sometimes forget when it's payday, because it doesn't matter anyway. It's a nice feeling.

Old Fart fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 31, 2015

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Old Fart posted:

I think you may be making this more complicated for yourself. If you're not a month ahead, then just mark it as income for January, and budget the numbers for your bills that are due before your next paycheck. The budgeted values carry over month to month if you don't spend them. You'll budget in January, spend in February. Edit: or just let the money roll over in "available to budget", and put them in February if that feels better. I'm not sure what numbers are going to be "off". The reports track money spent, not money budgeted.

If I'm reading you right, you make multiple payments a month for rent? Is there a special reason for that, or are you just Australian?

I think you could benefit from getting to Step 4. Then there will be no more "I gotta pay this before my next paycheck" because everything will be available on the 1st of every month. It doesn't matter if you get paid January 1 or 31, because it always becomes available to budget on February 1. These days I sometimes forget when it's payday, because it doesn't matter anyway. It's a nice feeling.

I do multiple payments for rent because it's just easier for me to pay it as I get paid rather than letting the whole amount sit in my checking account for the entire month. There have been some tangible benefits to this in the past, where I was on vacation and my first paycheck was delayed due to the company putting in the wrong routing number for my direct deposit, leading me to not being paid on time. I was able to draw $707.50 out of my buffer and pay it, whereas at the time, I didn't have enough in my buffer/emergency fund to be able to cover the entire charge.

Thankfully, my buffer is now almost $2000 and when I get my tax return on Wednesday, I will be able to get myself 4/5 of the way towards being fully buffered, which will be something I can really be proud of. It's taken me a long time and a lot of hard work to correct my financial situation, but I'm almost to step 4! My monthly expenses are $3000-$3400, so being fully buffered has taken a lot of time, mostly because I'm supporting myself + two other people right now.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
You'll be a lot less stressed when you're there. Imagine, just letting money pile up in your checking account and not even thinking about it.

You also don't need a full month's expenses to do it. Take, for example, this bill that due in a week. You're using January's income to do it. That bill is already a month ahead. Rent is something else. If your rent is due on the 1st, then you're already budgeting that a month ahead, too.

It's probably closer to reality than you think.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Old Fart posted:

You'll be a lot less stressed when you're there. Imagine, just letting money pile up in your checking account and not even thinking about it.

You also don't need a full month's expenses to do it. Take, for example, this bill that due in a week. You're using January's income to do it. That bill is already a month ahead. Rent is something else. If your rent is due on the 1st, then you're already budgeting that a month ahead, too.

It's probably closer to reality than you think.

I've already noticed a big difference in my stress levels. Before starting YNAB, I was compulsively checking my bank account balance every day to see if any surprise charges were there. I'd know down to the cent where everything was going and whether or not I'd be able to have enough in a paycheck to cover everything. Since I've got an emergency fund/buffer, I don't even think about this stuff anymore. I mistakenly forgot to cancel an Amazon Prime membership (signed up for a free trial for free shipping on some Christmas gifts) and I didn't even notice the $99 coming out of my account. I was able to cancel it and get a refund, but it didn't impact me in the slightest. Before I started YNAB, there is a 100% chance that would have resulted in an overdraft + fees, and I would've been absolutely hosed.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
That's pretty awesome. It's saved us in similar ways, so many times. For example, my debit card was compromised and had about $800 in fraudulent charges. Got it reversed, no problem, and learned to use only credit cards online. But my wife's coworkers were all, "OMG, I hope it wasn't a problem getting all the overdraft charges reversed!" Yeeeeah...

But years ago, I would have multiple overdrafts just due to my own stupidity. So stressful, and certainty didn't help my overall mood.

Good luck, you're almost there!

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I realized today that I hide my Student Loan category.

Now that I have the tax form, I never have to log into that website again.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

SaltLick posted:

https://meundies.com/

they are the most comfortable underwear in the god drat world. step up your underwear game

I just dropped $20 on a pair so you better come through.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

You need a Buttget

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

You need a Buttget

If you are taking to me I have a good budget, it will come out of my $400 blow money, no worries. (Was ~$5600 in the black last month, so I think all is well)

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

spwrozek posted:

I just dropped $20 on a pair so you better come through.

drat I should have linked the referral and given 20% off

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Do you guys split cash and other accounts? I do, but yesterday I was doing a transfer (because I did a withdrawal) and then entered my expenses in my budget. Then I thought: why? Why does it matter where my money comes from? If I pay cash, use my card, as long as I use my budget, it doesn't matter. Right? Or am I missing something here?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

It makes it easier to reconcile if you split up the accounts. I only do the cash every few months but I got all my cards on lock.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.
I have a "Cash" account, which I'll just transfer into from my chequing. I do track cash spending (groceries, household goods, alcohol, etc.) because I'm anal like that.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
CCs and checking accounts are easy to reconcile and see if they are matching statements. Cash accounts aren't. Having a cash account lets you see that you are logging your cash transactions correctly.

One slight modification that helps me enter things easily, I round up to the nearest dollar when paying with cash, and just throw change into a jar. Whenever I cash that jar out it is marked as income. This way I only need to remember that I spent $2 on a soda instead $1.83 or whatever.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Grouco posted:

I have a "Cash" account, which I'll just transfer into from my chequing. I do track cash spending (groceries, household goods, alcohol, etc.) because I'm anal like that.
I don't have a cash account because I don't carry cash. If they accept credit they get credit, if they don't accept credit they get debit, and if they don't accept debit either they get to watch me walk back out.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

beedeebee posted:

Do you guys split cash and other accounts? I do, but yesterday I was doing a transfer (because I did a withdrawal) and then entered my expenses in my budget. Then I thought: why? Why does it matter where my money comes from? If I pay cash, use my card, as long as I use my budget, it doesn't matter. Right? Or am I missing something here?

My cash account is probably unnecessary because 95% of the transactions listed are for buying weed or adjustments in YNAB because cash mysteriously disappears when I've been drinking. Still, I keep it around because it's nice to stick to YNAB's mantra of "follow where the money goes." It keeps my checking account balance accurate and makes reconciling a bit easier when all transactions match up perfectly with my various account statements.

ilkhan posted:

I don't have a cash account because I don't carry cash. If they accept credit they get credit, if they don't accept credit they get debit, and if they don't accept debit either they get to watch me walk back out.

I'm the same way, though I tend to keep $20 on me at all times because it's not uncommon that I need to pay for parking or something. I round up for cash transactions like Chin Strap does as well, but that's partly because it's easier to enter in YNAB and partly because I'd rather throw 17 cents to the curb or leave it in whatever tip/charity jar is near the register than carry it around.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
YNAB just posted on their blog that they have been working on a web app. Does this mean the next iteration of YNAB is going to be subscription based? I hope not.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
I just don't track cash. I just have a cash category that I use for ATM withdrawls. If I'm getting cash for the farmer's market I'll split the ATM transaction to be groceries for what I spent at the farmer's market and the rest just goes into a cash category. I only put like $60 a month in there and I don't mind missing that part of my budget compared to the ease of tracking (I don't track).

lmao zebong
Nov 25, 2006

NBA All-Injury First Team
I'm pretty sure the founder of YNAB did an AMA on reddit recently and already said that the web app is going to be subscription based. Not a fan.

http://www.reddit.com/r/ynab/comments/2fh07v/hi_im_jesse_mecham_founder_of_ynab_ama/ck93tbc

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I track cash because it's mostly a large stack of cash every month that I give to my uncle for rent. I'll keep like 30 bucks on me usually cause there are a couple restaurants I go to now and then around here that are cash only. Change goes the ashtray in my car and I just round up.

I also just steal 5 bucks here and there from other categories as I'm spending and keep a wad of bills in my car for "emergencies" that I don't track.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Chin Strap posted:

One slight modification that helps me enter things easily, I round up to the nearest dollar when paying with cash, and just throw change into a jar. Whenever I cash that jar out it is marked as income. This way I only need to remember that I spent $2 on a soda instead $1.83 or whatever.

This is a great method that I use as well. Hooray passive savings!

ilkhan posted:

Considering how easy it is to carry a few bills if you're already carrying cards, I never get this. Why not just use a simple and ubiquitous tool? I always have cash on me, and it makes my life so much easier.

Credit card machine down? Cash. Sharing a bill with a friend? Cash. Non-restaurant tipping? Cash. Forgot your EZPass on the highway? Cash. It's a backup, and hard to see how useful it is until you make a habit of carrying it so it's there when you need it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Teeter posted:

I'm the same way, though I tend to keep $20 on me at all times because it's not uncommon that I need to pay for parking or something. I round up for cash transactions like Chin Strap does as well, but that's partly because it's easier to enter in YNAB and partly because I'd rather throw 17 cents to the curb or leave it in whatever tip/charity jar is near the register than carry it around.

LogisticEarth posted:

Considering how easy it is to carry a few bills if you're already carrying cards, I never get this. Why not just use a simple and ubiquitous tool? I always have cash on me, and it makes my life so much easier.

Credit card machine down? Cash. Sharing a bill with a friend? Cash. Non-restaurant tipping? Cash. Forgot your EZPass on the highway? Cash. It's a backup, and hard to see how useful it is until you make a habit of carrying it so it's there when you need it.
I've had a single $5 bill in my wallet for the last 3 months. :shrug:
Splitting a bill gets sent through paypal, I hardly ever need to tip, my area doesn't have toll roads...
If I lived in that kind of area I would carry some, but I like my wallet being just ID, insurance cards (health/auto), 1 debit card, 1 credit card, and 1 piece of cash. Its nice and thin.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
Credit card rewards are real, too. Miles, points, cash back, whatever.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Should pay off my old credit card at the end of this month and cashed in my worthless reward points. $43.17 check comin' my way. :toot:

Really look forward to a citi double cash card once my score is up a bit

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I don't like the idea of the web app for YNAB 5. The best part of YNAB 4 is that I don't need a web browser to track things; I can just open up my phone and immediately put it into the app, and I do my biweekly budgeting on the desktop app. I don't want to have to be tethered to a webpage in order to do these things.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
I'm not a fan of it, either, but I don't think YNAB 4 is going to disappear from my computer. It works fine, I don't really need any additional tools or software support.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Old Fart posted:

I'm not a fan of it, either, but I don't think YNAB 4 is going to disappear from my computer. It works fine, I don't really need any additional tools or software support.

Jesse said that he planned on sunsetting the desktop app so it really sounds like they're going to start trying to nudge, then force, people onto using YNAB 5 and the web app. I'll see how it goes, but man, I hope they still offer the standalone mobile/desktop apps. The web app would be nice but only as long as I can keep the mobile and desktop clients. If not, I'm not sure what to do because there aren't any real competitors to this product.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
How would they do that? Reach over the interwow and delete my software?

lmao zebong
Nov 25, 2006

NBA All-Injury First Team
They recently updated the iOS app and I believe hired part-time iOS and Android developers, I would bet that they are going to keep the mobile apps intact but have the desktop/actual budget creation happen inside the web client when they make the change.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Apparently they're talking about keeping it cheap - perhaps $3 a month or so. Like the same price if you upgraded for $60 every 18-24 months like normal (although many bought it on Steam sale, me included). Who knows it could be a real improvement though, and they might add lots of new features with ongoing revenue and make it more accessible in the process.

But I'll probably just keep YNAB 4. It works well enough and I don't see a reason to need anything else.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
Have they been releasing a new version every 1.5-2 years? I've just recently started using it on version 4 and am also not very happy about a subscription model.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

$3 a month indefinitely is too much for a drat spreadsheet. I was fine paying $15 for YNAB, and I'd have been just as fine periodically paying for new versions, but a subscription based model just feels like gouging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
They've explicitly said that YNAB 4 will not go away in any form no matter what YNAB 5 is. So I wouldn't worry too much about it. You can still stick with YNAB 4 if you want.