Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

Pegged Lamb posted:

I wanna hear some stories about what they do to lapsed joiners

As you can see, I didn't even have to reply. These modern American super-churches have had 30 years to work on the best way to create social pressure on their congregants to devote their whole lives to the "church community". As someone else mentioned, a lot of it is passive-aggressive poo poo, with some random congregant showing up for a surprise visit because they were SO CONCERNED when they didn't see you on Sunday. The loving Jehovah's Witnesses apparently call you in front of a council of elders, maybe IN FRONT of everyone else, to publicly shame you for failures to "completely accept Jesus into your life".

You may or may not know that some American churches REQUIRE that you send them a copy of your W-2 to confirm your income level, so they can confirm you're tithing "honestly" at 10%.

http://www.examiner.com/article/tithing-to-god-or-church

Churches leverage themselves as the ultimate place to make local business connections, friends, a safe haven for your kids, and the only place to find a morally fitting spouse. They can get really ugly with people who "took the benefits and ran".

DISCLAIMER: Obviously, not ALL churches.

Quidam Viator fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Zwabu posted:

Eh I always get the read that "zombie" is more a code word for "urban ferals" (i.e. BLACKS BLACKS BLACKS) than anything else.
Its used as a catchall for anyone they don't think of as human

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 4, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Intel&Sebastian posted:

This thread and others often go into detail on the very real and deliberate connection between zombie media and RW bullshit. The ones I always remember are stories of gun convention pamphlets that simply substitute the word "zombie" for UN Bluehat footsoldiers in their eerily detailed plans for guerilla warfare and an episode of some A&E Survivalist bunker show where a dad kept substituting the term "zombies" with a wink while he taught his kids how to shoot people coming out of the inner city for their sweet sweet cornflakes.

It's more extensive than that but it pretty much ruined everything zombie related for me.

I always love how they're convinced that they'll be one of the survivors, and that their group isn't going to implode to the point where going it alone might be safer. Guess living in a McMansion, leveraged to your eyeballs, with no idea how to eat beyond the super market or a restaurant are the true keys to becoming an alpha in the collapse of civilization. Zombies fear nothing if not the ability to properly file a report while bitching about how you should have got that promotion instead of that cocksucker Bill.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Shooting ranges switched from photos of Obama to zombies, or they just bust out the zombie photos when they're on camera.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Fulchrum posted:

Its used as a catchall for anyone they don't think of as human

Please don't empty quote

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Nonsense posted:

Shooting ranges switched from photos of Obama to zombies, or they just bust out the zombie photos when they're on camera.

the range near my house kicks people out if they have targets of living people that aren't photos taken to be range targets, and they have six or so Confederate Flags in the building

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

QwertyAsher posted:

the range near my house kicks people out if they have targets of living people that aren't photos taken to be range targets, and they have six or so Confederate Flags in the building

I'd sure hope so!

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Ooh! Ooh! I know this! Is it 'Desperate Paul makes pathetic attempt at Spin Control'?

Edit: Went and read the first link. Best bit

"I did not say vaccines caused disorders, just that they were temporally related".

How could anyone possibly read this...

“I have heard of many tragic cases of walking, talking normal children who wound up with profound mental disorders after vaccines.” ... and think he was implying causation. Shame on you MSM.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 4, 2015

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Quidam Viator posted:

If you haven't experienced Southern Christian Fundamentalism, you can't really get a deep understanding of how completely the churches infiltrate themselves into your life. Stockholm Syndrome sounds hyperbolic, but is probably the best psychological classification for a person who's grown up in a really seriously evangelical congregation. We imagine a normal, dutiful churchgoer as a person who attends mass every Sunday. Southern churches build an entire social life for their congregants, to the extent that our school couldn't plan any school activities on Wednesday, because all the churches had "fellowship" activities every Wednesday that weren't... mandatory, but certainly looked bad on you if you didn't attend.

They run multiple sports leagues, have a replacement Christian festival for EVERY holiday, especially Halloween, and for adults, and especially kids, it very effectively makes them part of an enclave, an in-group, a group of people you see ALLLL the time. Add in the "fear" that Christianity is under attack, and it's no surprise how often the pastors engage in extensive political sermons about our sin-cursed world, using abortion and gays as flaming, thunderous scapegoats.

These people, in my opinion, have little chance of thinking their way out of their prejudices, if they've been raised in it since youth. I firmly believe that Huckabee is genuinely uncomfortably with swearing, dancing, drinking, and a lot of other totally legal things that some 60% of America does, and in his heart, wishes everyone in America were as "moral" as he is. Huckabee isn't hosed up; he's Southern Baptist, and that is a respected classification for half of America.

Here's my experience with it, and I've stated this before: Southern Christian fundamentalism and actual Christianity are completely different. Different in how one should act versus how they do act, different in core values, just entirely different. Southern Christianity is basically a cultural lifestyle with totems that vaguely resemble Christianity to someone that isn't looking that closely.

That being said, I go to a big church in metro Detroit, and we have the same kind of conflict among where the leaders want to go (sincere Christianity) and a handful of people who want to go to a giant Southern-style church. Among pastors and some Christians, the Southern style is viewed as garbage. Among some Christians, especially those immersed in American/Southern Christian culture, anything other than the conservative family values stuff is Satan.

We've just had a big conflict up here over this jackass (http://www.crawfordbroadcasting.com/~wmuz/bob_dutko.htm) who basically has an afternoon radio show of the worst of the right-wing, couched in "I'm a Christian defending our faith". A lot of Christian music stations have started broadcasting around here, mainly because people want to listen to Christian music without the interruption of Tea Party conspiracy minutes.

(And yes, the broadcasting company does air crazy ramblings from their company president, in a format that's straight out of the Ron Paul Report. http://crawfordbroadcasting.com/thestand.htm)

I've wanted to post something on this for a while, and don't entirely know where to go. If anyone has any questions, let me know and I will answer.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Jeb is pulling the Kemp gambit and trying to be the Republican who talks about urban issues. And he's kicking it off with a video of him talking in front of a burned out building in Detroit.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
drat I love this freak show.
On the Democrat side of things, is anyone that should ostensibly be in Hillary's camp running? I wonder if she's cleverly stupid enough to put up the money for somebody weak to make a token run against her so she doesn't run unopposed. I hear a lot of silence from the Democrats (which is smart considering how Republicans are basically making fools of themselves daily), and I wonder how bad it would be for Hillary to run essentially unopposed. Honestly I think the long primary in 2008 helped the Democrats by giving them at least a basic federal-level organization in every state.
I'm definitely not a Democrat but I'll probably be volunteering to help with the ground game of the candidate wherever I am.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

Deptfordx posted:

Ooh! Ooh! I know this! Is it 'Desperate Paul makes pathetic attempt at Spin Control'?

"I did not say vaccines caused disorders, just that they were temporally related".

“I have heard of many tragic cases of walking, talking normal children who wound up with profound mental disorders after vaccines.” ... and think he was implying causation. Shame on you MSM.

I've heard of many tragic cases of living, breathing Kentucky voters who wound up dead after supporting Rand Paul.

...of course, they died of unrelated things like old age and car accidents, but I didn't say that voting for Rand Paul caused death, just that they were temporally related.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Bernie Sanders will probably be the token punching bag by the sounds of things. Wouldn't mind a semi serious push from someone else either...enough to work the talking points and get the campaign moving solidified.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Jim Webb and Bernie Sanders are the only ones who look like they are taking serious shots. Both of them are basically running messaging campaigns for white people.

Jim Webb: Non-interventionism and white working class people made the Democratic party great.
Bernie Sanders: The Billionaire class has hijacked our democracy and economy. We need to help the working poor and middle class. Focus on class issues, not race or demographic issues.

O'Malley and the other B-listers who were considering running seem to be ducking out or going quiet about their intentions.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

Jeb is pulling the Kemp gambit and trying to be the Republican who talks about urban issues. And he's kicking it off with a video of him talking in front of a burned out building in Detroit.
I mean, the only time I ever heard about Jeb back in the days was when he executed another prisoner.

Guess I'm not surprised.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Joementum posted:

Will he comment on Detroit's trees? I need to know where he stands.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Naet posted:

Will he comment on Detroit's trees? I need to know where he stands.

Probably finds them gaudy monstrocities, unlike the trees he knows from good ol' Florida. Now those are some palm trees that are just the right height.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

O'Malley and the other B-listers who were considering running seem to be ducking out or going quiet about their intentions.

O'Malley has two visits to Iowa planned in the next two months.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I'm still waiting for Romney to flip flop on his decision to leave the race and come back in with guns ablazin'.

To be honest, I'm both surprised and sad that the thread seems to have given up on his very nature.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Delta-Wye posted:

I'm still waiting for Romney to flip flop on his decision to leave the race and come back in with guns ablazin'.

To be honest, I'm both surprised and sad that the thread seems to have given up on his very nature.

If some disaster befalls J.E.B.'s campaign, I can see Romney magnanimously entering the waters to save the Republican party (and, by extension, America) from itself.

Based on the accounts from last time (that Romney didn't want to run, but changed his mind after he was persuaded that the country needed him) I think he doesn't have any interest in campaigning unless he can construct some sort of messianic narrative around it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

quote:

Rand Paul in 2009 said he was a member of a physicians’ association that has publicized bunk medical theories, including links between vaccines and autism as well as abortion and breast cancer. A 2003 conference sponsored by the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons even said that HIV did not cause AIDS. “I am not a newcomer to AAPS,” Paul told the group in 2009 while he was running for the U.S. Senate. Paul added that he’d been a member for more than two decades—and in the words of The New York Times—“relied on its research, statistics, and views about the role of government in medicine.” Paul told the Times on Tuesday he wasn’t anti-vaccination despite saying that he had heard from parents whose children had suffered “profound mental disorders” after being vaccinated. “That’s not what I said. I said I’ve heard of people who’ve had vaccines and they see a temporal association and they believe that.”

Rand Paul should seriously be stripped of his medical license.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Three Olives posted:

Rand Paul should seriously be stripped of his medical license.

Wait, who the gently caress are these AAPS guys? That's a new one on me. HIV denialists are the scum of the earth.

Man, I cannot wait for this primary season. Rand Paul is a ticking bomb of bullshit.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Pinterest Mom posted:

O'Malley has two visits to Iowa planned in the next two months.

He just took a teaching job at Johns Hopkins that has at least a one year commitment. He probably isn't going to be launching a Presidential Campaign in early 2016. He'd have to get in the race in the next 6 months or so. He still could, it just seems less likely than before.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He just took a teaching job at Johns Hopkins that has at least a one year commitment. He probably isn't going to be launching a Presidential Campaign in early 2016. He'd have to get in the race in the next 6 months or so. He still could, it just seems less likely than before.

In football, we call that "hearing the footsteps".

Now I've hopefully just given you a mental image of Hillary Clinton in shoulder pads and eyeblack, blowing up a receiver across the middle. You're welcome.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Not pictured: Bernie Sanders' copse twitching in a pool of blood.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

PupsOfWar posted:

If some disaster befalls J.E.B.'s campaign, I can see Romney magnanimously entering the waters to save the Republican party (and, by extension, America) from itself.

Based on the accounts from last time (that Romney didn't want to run, but changed his mind after he was persuaded that the country needed him) I think he doesn't have any interest in campaigning unless he can construct some sort of messianic narrative around it.

Or Anne feels like America needs Mitt. If you're implying Mitt's sense of political drama is motivated by White Horse, his (and his father's) statements disagree. That doesn't mean that Mitt isn't motivated by secular noble obligation, of course.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Horse_Prophecy

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Big fan of Jeb Bush coming out for vaccines.

I mean that unironically because way too many are coming out as pro-"freedom".

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

messagemode1 posted:

Big fan of Jeb Bush coming out for vaccines.

I mean that unironically because way too many are coming out as pro-"freedom".

Well, he finessed it a bit. He stated that parents should get their kids vaccinated, which is fine as far as it goes, but he declined to comment on whether the government should require vaccinations. If pressed on the issue, I suspect he would come down on the "freedom" side as well.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Jeb gives fella who shined his shoes the url of his PAC.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

If that was all he gave him in return for the shine, it would be wonderful Koch fanfic.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Deptfordx posted:

The best part of this is when you actually think about his argument for two seconds. So wait, you weren't implying causation, you were just saying that one happened before the other. So why the gently caress even say that? His statement is literally meaningless unless he is implying that their is causation, which of course he was.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
If you told me last week that anti-vax would become an actual issue during the primaries I would've assumed you were lying. It's pretty hilarious, though probably less so when some lovely southern state has a huge outbreak because some dumb gently caress refused to aid in Obama's anti-measles agenda.

Also loving the mountain of poo poo sweeping up Rand Paul. Like, I know the whole self-certification thing is old hat here, but seeing it, the anti-vax and now this HIV thing all get lumped together against him and derailing his campaign plans is a real treat. gently caress you Rand :)

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

shadow puppet of a posted:

If that was all he gave him in return for the shine, it would be wonderful Koch fanfic.

Nah. Make it "a copy of Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged" and then we'll talk.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

If you told me last week that anti-vax would become an actual issue during the primaries I would've assumed you were lying. It's pretty hilarious, though probably less so when some lovely southern state has a huge outbreak because some dumb gently caress refused to aid in Obama's anti-measles agenda.

Also loving the mountain of poo poo sweeping up Rand Paul. Like, I know the whole self-certification thing is old hat here, but seeing it, the anti-vax and now this HIV thing all get lumped together against him and derailing his campaign plans is a real treat. gently caress you Rand :)

I just wish this had all waited a bit. He still hasn't made the decision to run that will ultimately put him out of a job when he fails, and I'd prefer not to spook him before that time.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Also I've read about how Jeb is posturing as a moderate and getting painted as such by the media despite having enacted very conservative policies, much like his brother 15 years ago.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Also noticed the person giving him the shot was black and I remember that Paul has been trying to capture a bigger part of the black vote.

It's clear as a doctor that he is for vaccines but as a libertarian his underlying thing is that it's a personal issue. I think it's a bit of an extreme view and I was hoping the obvious medical/societal benefits should work warrant it but I guess his basic thought/hope is that people are smart enough to do it.

Not sure? This makes my head hurt. Help

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Enigma89 posted:

Also noticed the person giving him the shot was black and I remember that Paul has been trying to capture a bigger part of the black vote.

It's clear as a doctor that he is for vaccines but as a libertarian his underlying thing is that it's a personal issue. I think it's a bit of an extreme view and I was hoping the obvious medical/societal benefits should work warrant it but I guess his basic thought/hope is that people are smart enough to do it.

Not sure? This makes my head hurt. Help

The obvious medical/social benefits should convince him of a lot of things, but don't.

fantastic in plastic
Jun 15, 2007

The Socialist Workers Party's newspaper proved to be a tough sell to downtown businessmen.
I think your head's hurting because you're trying to reconcile "libertarian" and "obvious societal benefits".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
The right (read: Drudge) is getting up in arms about Jeb's stance on immigration. :unsmigghh:

• Locked thread