Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

R+L=J 99.999% confirmed

I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
There were no dragons. Hahahaha.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Interesting that Sansa was always useless and wasn't considered one of the Big Five. I wonder how the hardcore Sansa fans will react to her always being a traitor, even if in the final version it's dialed down.

Also, drat what is up with the proto-Arya that everyone is hot for her.

I hope this leak makes GRRM really mad.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Well duh, Phyllis hadn't butted her head in yet

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

It's funny how he worded it, talks about them being in agony over brother sister loving until Jon finds out the truth, when it's only first cousin loving?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I spent way too long trying to figure out who the fifth character in the Big Five was before remembering Bran. He's just so forgettable guys

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

In It For The Tank posted:

Interesting that Sansa was always useless and wasn't considered one of the Big Five. I wonder how the hardcore Sansa fans will react to her always being a traitor, even if in the final version it's dialed down.

Also, drat what is up with the proto-Arya that everyone is hot for her.

I hope this leak makes GRRM really mad.

GRRM originally said how Sansa was going to be a side character at first. She's certainly as big as Bran at least and the traitor plot got toned down to her trusting Cersei with Ned's plans, something that's so minor it isn't even in the show.

Also there was going to be no Cersei, this is the biggest crime of all.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Here are the images for posterity:

I reckon that the censored portion could be deciphered with enough effort. Maybe not the whole thing, but if you match the font it's just a matter of process of elimination to match letters with the partially uncovered bits. I expect this to really bite GRRM in the rear end.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Anonymous Zebra posted:

There were no dragons. Hahahaha.

Um, there were.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

In It For The Tank posted:

Here are the images for posterity:

I reckon that the censored portion could be deciphered with enough effort. Maybe not the whole thing, but if you match the font it's just a matter of process of elimination to match letters with the partially uncovered bits. I expect this to really bite GRRM in the rear end.

his last paragraph explicitly states that those pages can be shared with anyone who is interested.....so......he can go gently caress himself in his fat loving rear end.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
There's not a whole lot of plot points that remained in the final drafts, so what's with the redacting?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

There's not a whole lot of plot points that remained in the final drafts, so what's with the redacting?

I assume that's the only part that we don't already know for a fact isn't happening, which means it could very well still be a spoiler

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

??

Most of those either came to pass already, or happened in different ways, or never happened. So redacting them was unnecessary.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I suppose what I really mean is, who did the redacting? Someone who actually knows that ending's legit?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

I suppose what I really mean is, who did the redacting? Someone who actually knows that ending's legit?

Well, I think that's the point: they didn't know whether it was legit or not.

And even if it isn't legit, if you look at the rest of the manuscript, many of the plot points did come to pass, even if in different ways. For example, Bran does travel north of the wall, except with Hodor instead of with Catelyn. And Robb is killed, except during his wedding instead of in battle. So there's a good chance that the redacted ending will have important information that would hurt both the books and the show if it came out.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Also, Arya's death has been foreshadowed to poo poo, so either she isn't one of the central characters anymore or he's changed his mind about the 5 characters surviving to the end.

King Jaime would loving rule though, only good thing from this whole leak.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

BillBear posted:

King Jaime would loving rule though, only good thing from this whole leak.

That was pretty heavily foreshadowed at the beginning of the series too -- remember Ned coming into the Red Keep immediately post-Kingslaying to find Jaime sitting on the Iron Throne -- but I'm personally happier with the Jaime we ended up with. Complex characters are always better.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

enraged_camel posted:

Um, there were.

I missed the mention of the dragons below the glare on the glass. You would think he would mention dragons in the first paragraph where he describes the invasion.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

BillBear posted:

Also, Arya's death has been foreshadowed to poo poo

Has it? If she dies I'll be very sad.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

enraged_camel posted:

Biggest thing I recall is a passage early on about her lovely sewing and how Jon joked she would be found dead at the end of winter in the spring thaw with a needle in her hand

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I won't

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

Jon says they would find her frozen corpse with Needle in her hand, Ned says the Wolf Blood in the Starks sends them to early graves and the Frey who was meant to be married to Arya is deeply upset at hearing he won't get to, due to Robb ruining his relation with Walder, Arya basically responds by saying " I hope your princess dies!". Death is also a huge thing in her story so it seems fitting for it to end with her own.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
grrm has said on several occasions that he wont kill her.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Ballz posted:

Biggest thing I recall is a passage early on about her lovely sewing and how Jon joked she would be found dead at the end of winter in the spring thaw with a needle in her hand

I remember that too, but I thought that was included as a way to symbolize Arya's character progression, i.e. her stubborn desire to become a fighter instead of a proper lady like Sansa.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah I'm p sure his wife has forbidden him to kill Arya because she has correctly assessed that Arya is the best character

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

TommyGun85 posted:

Creep Armor, the only thing more powerful than plot armor

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Professor Shark posted:

Creep Armor, the only thing more powerful than plot armor

im afraid he has worse things in store for her than death.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

TommyGun85 posted:

He said this because his wife told him not to, he later said he was joking around and that no one is safe.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
GRRM saying constantly that his wife forbids him to kill Arya is the biggest sign to me that she will bite it at some point. If it was actually true, he wouldn't be telling everyone.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Ballz posted:

um. isn't her sword named Needle, as well? that could go a few ways.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don't expect any Stark except Sansa and Rickon make it to the end. The whole purpose of the Rickon chatacter is to preserve the blood line of the Starks.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I keep reading those pages, but cannot really gather any information on what can happen in the next couple books :shrug:

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I missed the mention of the dragons below the glare on the glass. You would think he would mention dragons in the first paragraph where he describes the invasion.

It's never mentioned that Tyrion is a dwarf. I wonder when he got the idea to make him one?

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
The original 3-part Stark vs. Lannister/Dragon Invasion/Others Invasion plan was pretty structurally solid. I kind of wish we got that.

Maybe, maybe, Dany being with the Dothraki again means she will in fact invade Westeros with them as originally planned?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I always envisioned Dany coming to Westeros in tattered clothes, giggling to herself, biting her own fingers in her madness along with her massive dragons. I never thought of her as having a proper invasion with an army, assumed that everything that could go wrong for her would, and it would just her alone and seeking revenge on a continent of faceless matchstick people.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Arya is gonna be hired by Euron Greyjoy to kill Sansa.

It is known.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

the escape goat posted:

um. isn't her sword named Needle, as well? that could go a few ways.

That's the point. First time you read, you just see it as a harmless joke about her being forced to do stitchwork. On re-read it becomes much more ominous as you visualize it being her sword in hand instead.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal
Can't you argue that she did die by becoming a Faceless Man? She doesn't even get chapters called "Arya" anymore. They are named after the identities that she assumes.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Yes, but so do a lot of others, such as Sansa and Theon.

It's a theme; like poetry or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

"GRRM won't kill Arya, his wife made him promise not to!" is one of the biggest fanon wanks in the fandom. He has never said that. He once said that Parris doesn't want Arya to die, but that's it. He's never said anything about promising not to kill her.

(Not to mention that the foreshadowing for Arya's death is really on-the-nose)

• Locked thread