Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
this is what happens when you send a young man to film school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
VV does have a point, though. I just think expecting anything better out of a Middle Eastern nation is foolish. And expediting the deaths of prisoners already sentenced to death seems like the least controversial thing coming out of that region lately.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
In an ideal society yes, it matters. In a no loving poo poo monarchy in 2015 that has sand nazis next door this is such a nonsense and insignificant complaint that I can't help but think that the only reason it matters to you is that it was on Fox or whatever.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

Of course it does. A ruling entity should abide by it's own rules and timelines. If the State of Texas says you're going to be executed 5 years from now, but then executes you tomorrow because your brother gently caress's the Sherrif's wife, the state is only undermining it's own authority.

If you think Jordan isn't worthy of comparison to Texas, then that is fair.

To be fair to Jordan, we don't know whether these guys they executed were the closest mentally challenged individuals they found in the vicinity of the crime.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

holocaust bloopers posted:

VV does have a point, though. I just think expecting anything better out of a Middle Eastern nation is foolish. And expediting the deaths of prisoners already sentenced to death seems like the least controversial thing coming out of that region lately.

Isreal resents being held to a higher standard all the time and actively.works to discourage it.

Jordan is a bastion of reason and tolerance in a hell hole and I don't see anything unreasonable about their actions. And also, yes, those prisoners were a danger to others and the country. The only reason the women wasn't already dead is because her suicide vest failed to blow. She is getting what she wanted.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
do muslim women get 42 virgin dudes or whatever the number is

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suboptimal posted:

It's pretty much just this one dude in the Middle East thread.

Tangentially related, but this guy has such bad opinions on Magic: the Gathering that a bunch of nerds got together to do a tournament in his honor after he shamefully declined a duel in single Wizard combat that would determine if he could post in the Eternal thread or not anymore. So, I guess what I'm saying is that any time he types words on this forum, you can safely assume they're worthless

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

go3 posted:

do muslim women get 42 virgin dudes or whatever the number is

Pretty sure All*h restores their virtue and that's where the 42 virgins for men come from.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Pretty sure All*h restores their virtue and that's where the 42 virgins for men come from.

Also no crab lice, so that's good.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Justice delayed is justice denied after all. The US has a terrible death penalty system and should not be used as an example.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

lightpole posted:

Justice delayed is justice denied after all. The US has a terrible death penalty system and should not be used as an example.

What I meant was Jordan should follow the US example of interminable delay followed by lethal injection of unknown substances acquired from unknown sources because that's a great framework for the rule of law.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

AgentSythe posted:

Tangentially related, but this guy has such bad opinions on Magic: the Gathering that a bunch of nerds got together to do a tournament in his honor after he shamefully declined a duel in single Wizard combat that would determine if he could post in the Eternal thread or not anymore. So, I guess what I'm saying is that any time he types words on this forum, you can safely assume they're worthless

What the gently caress

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lightpole posted:

What I meant was Jordan should follow the US example of interminable delay followed by lethal injection of unknown substances acquired from unknown sources because that's a great framework for the rule of law.

Hey that's not our drat fault, blame Europe for that problem.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

gfanikf posted:

Curse you, John Locke!

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

AgentSythe posted:

youre a wizzard harry!

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

gfanikf posted:

There's a french invention from the goddamned 18th century that would do the job quicker and with less pain or whatever than any chemicals, but you refuse to use it because that would be too good for the people getting killed.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Syncopated posted:

There's a french invention from the goddamned 18th century that would do the job quicker and with less pain or whatever than any chemicals, but you refuse to use it because that would be too good for the people getting killed.

This is America we should just be shooting people.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

gfanikf posted:

This is America we should just be shooting people.

We do, but only black people.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Some serious goalpost-shifting from the retarded bleeding hearts in this thread.

I realise it's rather difficult to have a conflict of attrition with a nebulous NGO like ISIS, but what's a rough idea of the percentage of their forces that would need to be slaughtered in order to remove them as a threat?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

WarpedNaba posted:

Some serious goalpost-shifting from the retarded bleeding hearts in this thread.

I realise it's rather difficult to have a conflict of attrition with a nebulous NGO like ISIS, but what's a rough idea of the percentage of their forces that would need to be slaughtered in order to remove them as a threat?

100%

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

WarpedNaba posted:

99.999(repeating, of course)%

e: damnit vas :argh:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Actually probably like 110% because there's bound to be a few accidental weddings, funerals or goat loving sessions that we accidentally bomb.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I'm sorry to say this but the Commies did this best. No publicity, no fuss, middle of the night two guys suddenly drag you out your bunk and haul you into a soundproofed room and blow your brains out through your face into a thick wooden beam in a corner to catch the bullet, body quietly disposed of. The Hallmark movie that is American capital justice is a sloppy, bored titjob that both parties just want to get over with in comparison.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

WarpedNaba posted:

I don't know. Whatever level is necessary for the survivors to give up on calling themselves ISIS and go back to wherever to get married and have kids that they tell to leave that jihad poo poo alone because it just leads to Americans splattering you across hot rocks out in the middle of nowhere.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

Of course it does. A ruling entity should abide by it's own rules and timelines. If the State of Texas says you're going to be executed 5 years from now, but then executes you tomorrow because your brother gently caress's the Sherrif's wife, the state is only undermining it's own authority.

Is that what happened, or did you insert an arbitrary variable to avoid looking retarded?

Godholio fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 4, 2015

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
I like this thread again.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

youre a wizzard harry!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm0iCIfF-Vs

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Zeris posted:

I like this thread again.

Still not enough nukes, but that's just the story of my life.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Godholio posted:

Is that what happened, or did you insert an arbitrary variable to avoid looking retarded?

Were they not executed, when they were executed, because a Jordanian pilot was horrifically murdered by being set on fire? I think there's a direct correlation there.

People justifiably want to do horrible things to people in the name of vengeance/justice, but ideally the rule of law holds against the tide of public opinion when your enemy knows no law but that which is written by the prophet or whatever the gently caress they use to justify sawing peoples heads off.

ISIL doing their gruesome lovely thing should be an opportunity to rally the salvageable parts of the middle east around rule of law (and in turn, gently caress you Jordan et al) representative democracy. ISIL's shittiness could do what our 10+ years of pussy-footed shittiness could not.

The alternative seems to be that everyone gradually slides down to ISIL's level until Uncle Sam inevitably puts boots on the ground in the name of DEFEATING EVIL. Of course it won't just be ISIL at that point, it will be whatever butt loving lovely mess is present once the whole neighborhood gets sucked into the cycle of vengeance and offspring conflicts.

Richard Bong posted:

In an ideal society yes, it matters. In a no loving poo poo monarchy in 2015 that has sand nazis next door this is such a nonsense and insignificant complaint that I can't help but think that the only reason it matters to you is that it was on Fox or whatever.

Yeah it's almost like I've seen a nation of retards, devastated by tragedy, fast-track RIGHTEOUS AND DECISIVE ACTION and then pay the price for the next 10+ years. And not a goddamn thing to show for it.

But this is different because, unlike Saddam's regime, or the Taliban, ISIL is "evil", right? NO BUT LIKE ACTUALLY EVIL. SERIOUS BRUH. And everyone knows the last 10+ years of misadventures only failed because.. we weren't fighting ACTUAL EVIL.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Zeroisanumber posted:

I don't know. Whatever level is necessary for the survivors to give up on calling themselves ISIS and go back to wherever to get married and have kids that they tell to leave that jihad poo poo alone because it just leads to Americans splattering you across hot rocks out in the middle of nowhere.

These are some of the same people who have been fighting and getting killed since like 2004. ISIS is literally AQI + time + Syrian civil war. We killed them for a while, the Iraqis killed them for a while, the Syrians killed them for a while, and even the local loving al-Qaeda franchise kills them when it gets the chance and they're still the energizer bunnies of transnational terror. So yeah, we're going to need to kill literally every last one before we call it good.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

Yeah it's almost like I've seen a nation of retards, devastated by tragedy, fast-track RIGHTEOUS AND DECISIVE ACTION and then pay the price for the next 10+ years. And not a goddamn thing to show for it.

I don't think you get that the King of Jordan's job is to keep a bunch of tribes from clawing each other's throats out. That whole region absolutely functions like a ridiculous holdover from medieval times with a window dressing of AK-47s and Toyotas, and while it's amazing that Jordan compares so well to everyone else in terms of modern societal values it's still a very long way from becoming anything like a sane, modern nation.

Generally, I think it's real hosed up to execute prisoners. I don't agree with the death penalty. In this case, though, the King absolutely made a wise call icing those two fuckers when he was looking down the barrel of a tribal insurrection if he didn't act, and they had already been on death row. If you call that sinking down to ISIL's level then great, so's pretty much the rest of the world and I might as well start chopping necks and keeping sex slaves then.

Hell, the US's actions after 9/11 were probably way more reactionary and far less justified in practical terms if you want to put it that way. Nobody was going to start slaughtering the royal presidential family in 2001 if we hadn't gone to war. All hail King Abdullah.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 5, 2015

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

I don't think you get that the King of Jordan's job is to keep a bunch of tribes from clawing each other's throats out.

In this case, though, the King absolutely made a wise call icing those two fuckers when he was looking down the barrel of a tribal insurrection if he didn't act, and they had already been on death row. If you call that sinking down to ISIL's level then great, so's pretty much the rest of the world and I might as well start chopping necks and keeping sex slaves then.

I think Vermis' complaint is rooted in philosophical ideas of power and authority.

You're looking at it from the a realpolitik/'well Jordan didn't really have a choice because that dead dude's bros would have been unhappy'.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
I know next to nothing about Jordan other than the QT from there who goes to my school.

My beef is entirely with Americans enthusiastically supporting the executions as if they accomplished anything at all in defeating ISIL.

edit: I'll give you that Jordan staying stable despite it's faults could be considered a "win", low as the bar has been set in the region.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

I think Vermis' complaint is rooted in philosophical ideas of power and authority.

You're looking at it from the a realpolitik/'well Jordan didn't really have a choice because that dead dude's bros would have been unhappy'.

I guess I can see that. I look at things more like "here are the compromises you have to make on the road to some ideal", and I'm not likely to condemn leadership in absolute terms if I can picture the context they're acting in and have some confidence that they're moving in the right direction.

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

I know next to nothing about Jordan other than the QT from there who goes to my school.

My beef is entirely with Americans enthusiastically supporting the executions as if they accomplished anything at all in defeating ISIL.

edit: I'll give you that Jordan staying stable despite it's faults could be considered a "win", low as the bar has been set in the region.

Oh yeah I agree that Americans cheerleading this as some major blow probably isn't too wise. The executions aren't going to affect ISIL for poo poo, it's the barrage of airstrikes and support for the Kurds that will.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

I don't think you get that the King of Jordan's job is to keep a bunch of tribes from clawing each other's throats out. That whole region absolutely functions like a ridiculous holdover from medieval times with a window dressing of AK-47s and Toyotas, and while it's amazing that Jordan compares so well to everyone else in terms of modern societal values it's still a very long way from becoming anything like a sane, modern nation.

Generally, I think it's real hosed up to execute prisoners. I don't agree with the death penalty. In this case, though, the King absolutely made a wise call icing those two fuckers when he was looking down the barrel of a tribal insurrection if he didn't act, and they had already been on death row. If you call that sinking down to ISIL's level then great, so's pretty much the rest of the world and I might as well start chopping necks and keeping sex slaves then.

Hell, the US's actions after 9/11 were probably way more reactionary and far less justified in practical terms if you want to put it that way. Nobody was going to start slaughtering the royal presidential family in 2001 if we hadn't gone to war. All hail King Abdullah.

I like to think that's got a lot to do with the King being a god damned Trekkie. They're even building a $1.5b Star Trek theme park.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Accretionist posted:

I like to think that's got a lot to do with the King being a god damned Trekkie. They're even building a $1.5b Star Trek theme park.

In his next act he'll abolish the concept of scarcity

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.
I just like dead assholes. Doesn't really matter to me how they die.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

USMC503 posted:

I just like dead assholes. Doesn't really matter to me how they die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Invoking the "Sanctity of Law" argument falls apart when the prisoners were lawfully sentenced to execution, one of which was caught wearing the vest. It further falls apart when the Law in question is Pilot Hot Stuff's uncle and his literal King buddy.

• Locked thread