Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Im on a big nonfiction kick. Im very much interested in the Soviet Union which I realize is a vast subject but was hoping people could recommend some good books about it... Overviews or specific topics/periods/events would all be fine.

Never read any on this subject much outside of history classes in school which in America dont really focus a ton on necessarily so dont hesitate to recommend something you feel is obvious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

thathonkey posted:

Im on a big nonfiction kick. Im very much interested in the Soviet Union which I realize is a vast subject but was hoping people could recommend some good books about it... Overviews or specific topics/periods/events would all be fine.

Never read any on this subject much outside of history classes in school which in America dont really focus a ton on necessarily so dont hesitate to recommend something you feel is obvious

I read 3 books that I loved which may interest you:

The Rasputin File by Edvard Radzinsky.

quote:

In 1995, Mstislav Rostropovich bought at a Sotheby's auction the long-lost file of the investigation into the court of Nicholas II conducted by the provisional government immediately after the Romanov dynasty's overthrow, and he gave it to the playwright and historian Edvard Radzinsky. It contained the often intimate testimony of grand dames, court officials, monks, and fellow mystics, not to mention police. From this and other recently discovered documentation, Radzinsky retells the endlessly fascinating story of Rasputin's rise to power, his special hold over Nicholas and Alexandra, and his brutal demise. More than a well-retold tale enhanced by a dramatist's sense of character and tension, Radzinsky's account adds valuable new detail and makes Rasputin a far less unfathomable, although no less excessive, figure. Rarely is an artist given a canvas like this, and Radzinsky makes the most of it.

Peter the Great: His Life and World by Robert Massie

quote:

The author guides the reader not only through Peter I's vivid, complex life and personality, but -- as the subtitle appropriately states -- also through the world he was born into and lived in. The reader is introduced to a number of other historical figures such as Louis XIV of France, and Charles XII of Sweden, Peter's great nemesis. The book is also something of a travelogue, as the reader is swept into Peter's Great Embassy to Europe, onto the high seas, up and into the Great Northern War, and into the swampy site upon which Peter built the jewel in his crown, the City of St. Petersburg. Finally, Massie addresses Peter's legacy and the impact his life had on Russia and Western Europe. The author's emphasis throughout is the significance and force of Peter's personality, and how his indomitable will changed Russia forever. The writing of such an expansive, historically significant biography must be a daunting task. Massie chose to approach his broad subject in a readable, narrative form. Upon the mighty framework that makes up the basic facts of Peter's life and reign, the author has woven endless threads and colors, creating tapestry-like images that are understandable -- and vivid -- to readers who possess a background in Russian history and also to those who have none at all. The use of anecdotes and humor are designed to draw in both the expert and the novice.

The Sword and the Shield: The Mitrokhin Archive and the Secret History of the KGB by Christopher Andrew

quote:

In early 1992, a low-level clerk from the KGB's foreign intelligence directorate walked into the British Embassy in Riga, Latvia, and asked to speak with someone in authority. Over tea, he passed several small folders containing typed notes that revealed the existence of a vast personal archive of KGB material he began collecting in 1972. Eight months later, the clerk, Vasili Mitrokhin, and his family were "exfiltrated" to Great Britain with the archive, considered to be "the most complete and extensive intelligence ever received from one source" in the history of espionage.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

thathonkey posted:

Two essentials:

A People's Tragedy by Orlando Figes. It tells the story of the Russian revolution, from the late 19th century to Lenin's death. IT will give you the cultural and political context of how the Soviet Union came to be. It's also arguably one of the best written history books ever.

Gulag by Anne Applebaum. A comprehensive description of the infamous prison camp system.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

thathonkey posted:

Tangential, but I cannot pass up an opportunity to recommend John Vallaint's The Tiger, which is about tigers and manly men doing manly things, yes, but it also talks a great deal about Russian history and the post-Soviet economy.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Got two recommendations to ask: 1) history of Cuban military during the Cold War, and 2) 80s sci-fi with time travel.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Beyond sane knolls posted:

Got two recommendations to ask: 1) history of Cuban military during the Cold War, and 2) 80s sci-fi with time travel.
2) Forever War by Haldeman is from 1974. It has a cool relativistic version of time travel that's pretty sweet, even though it's military sci fi and generally sub-par in my opinion.

The Hyperion Cantos series by Simmons has some time travel stuff throughout, and the first book is outstanding. From 1989. One of the best science fiction novels I've read, and I'm a junky for this stuff.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
The Saga of Pliocene Exile by Julian May is as '80s as sci-fi gets, entertaining as hell and full of what-the-gently caress. They aren't great literature, but you asked for '80s sci-fi, so I assume you know what you're getting.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Thanks for the suggestions! These all sound great.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Time Cowboy posted:

The Saga of Pliocene Exile by Julian May is as '80s as sci-fi gets, entertaining as hell and full of what-the-gently caress. They aren't great literature, but you asked for '80s sci-fi, so I assume you know what you're getting.

Is there a trope or something in 80s sci fi I don't know about? I thought it was a great decade for the genre. There are the two I mentioned, and Ender's Game, Neuromancer, The Handmaid's Tale, The Postman. Unless you're saying that most 80s sci fi is pap, but that's true of any decade. Look at the whole 21st century. It's like all terrible sexist YA post-apocalyptic garbage.

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Illegal Hen
I'm after some good sci-fi about a crew of people travelling around on a spaceship (a la Firefly/Cowboy Bebop, that sort of thing). Any recommendations?

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

The Gap Cycle by Stephen Donaldson might fit the bill and if that doesn't suit maybe check out The Expanse series from James S. A. Corey.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

tuyop posted:

Is there a trope or something in 80s sci fi I don't know about? I thought it was a great decade for the genre. There are the two I mentioned, and Ender's Game, Neuromancer, The Handmaid's Tale, The Postman. Unless you're saying that most 80s sci fi is pap, but that's true of any decade. Look at the whole 21st century. It's like all terrible sexist YA post-apocalyptic garbage.

Edit: There was a stupid derail here. It was stupid.

By "trope," do you mean "Is there a stereotype about '80s sci-fi?"

I love '80s sci-fi. To my mind it's a decade of cheesy, pulpy fun, big ideas building on the experimentation of the New Wave authors, taking the genre's newfound ambition and repackaging it into appealing and entertaining books with lurid pulp covers. It doesn't have quite the attention to character and literary tone that a lot of current fantasy has, but that isn't necessarily a mark against it. But read the work of Julian May, A.A. Attanasio (the Radix tetrad), early Sheri S. Tepper, early Connie Willis, late period Gordon R. Dickson, even '80s Robert Silverberg (Majipoor), and you'll see the decade has an inescapable flavor, which is what I was referring to.

Time Cowboy fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 5, 2015

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?
I'm really interested in the red scare and Joseph McCarthy. Anyone have recommendations for this?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

shirunei posted:

The Gap Cycle by Stephen Donaldson might fit the bill and if that doesn't suit maybe check out The Expanse series from James S. A. Corey.

I would note that the Gap Cycle is really loving dark and depressing. I mean the first couple of books make the Thomas Covenant series look like Terry Pratchett.

Anyway, it's airship rather than spaceship, but Chris Wooding's Ketty Jay books might scratch the same itch for you.

Heliotropic
Mar 16, 2005

earthbound

thathonkey posted:

check out lenin's tomb

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
Anyone know any good female horror authors? Especially ones that write about women main characters. I just realized all the horror authors I enjoy are men and I know there's gotta be some good women authors out there I'm overlooking. Preferably contemporary.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Troposphere posted:

Anyone know any good female horror authors? Especially ones that write about women main characters. I just realized all the horror authors I enjoy are men and I know there's gotta be some good women authors out there I'm overlooking. Preferably contemporary.

Charlee Jacob, Sarah Pinborough, Sandy DeLuca, Mary SanGiovanni, Caitlin Kiernan, Sarah Langan, Lisa Morton, Kelli Owen, Cherie Priest, Gina Ranalli

That should get you started :).

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Ornamented Death posted:

Charlee Jacob, Sarah Pinborough, Sandy DeLuca, Mary SanGiovanni, Caitlin Kiernan, Sarah Langan, Lisa Morton, Kelli Owen, Cherie Priest, Gina Ranalli

That should get you started :).

Awesome thanks! Any favorites that stand out to you in particular?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Troposphere posted:

Awesome thanks! Any favorites that stand out to you in particular?

Cherie Priest is probably the most approachable; I recommend Maplecroft and Those Who Went Remain There Still.

Beyond that, just poke around and find free samples of all the others then go with whoever catches your fancy.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Hello! I am looking for something that I'd call Haunted Spaceship sci-fi - not explicitly ghosts or horror set in space, but material that's heavily dependent on creating a moody and haunted atmosphere in a sci-fi context. The gigantic, dark, quasi-abandoned spaceship in Alien, or the creepy and haunted-feeling Villa Straylight space cryo-crypt in the end of Neuromancer. The abandoned spaceships floating quietly above the planet Pern in the dragonriders series. That vibe is what I'm after.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Hello! I am looking for something that I'd call Haunted Spaceship sci-fi - not explicitly ghosts or horror set in space, but material that's heavily dependent on creating a moody and haunted atmosphere in a sci-fi context. The gigantic, dark, quasi-abandoned spaceship in Alien, or the creepy and haunted-feeling Villa Straylight space cryo-crypt in the end of Neuromancer. The abandoned spaceships floating quietly above the planet Pern in the dragonriders series. That vibe is what I'm after.

Blindsight or Broken Angels would fit, I think.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Solaris.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
There's some pretty great haunted spaceship stuff in the Revelation Space series by Alastair Reynolds. It's not all there is to it but they're really good books that definitely hit the creepy space vibe.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
I like funky fresh hip modern literature like David Mitchell and Margaret Atwood - stuff that's well written and challenging, but also likeable and light on its feet.

Lately I read and really super-loved A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki. Anything like that would be appreciated.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

Troposphere posted:

I really, really enjoyed The Daylight Gate by Jeanette Winterson (the Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit author).

Rhodry
Mar 4, 2001

Excuse me. Did somebody say they were lookin' for the baaadest detective in town?
I'm interested in books on manned space travel. Specifically the Apollo missions to the moon, and books discussing (in a realistic way) concepts of moon bases, or manned expeditions to Mars.

Non-fiction. So basically what we've done, and what we could do.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

There's some pretty great haunted spaceship stuff in the Revelation Space series by Alastair Reynolds. It's not all there is to it but they're really good books that definitely hit the creepy space vibe.

Yeah, especially Chasm City. It has my favorite creepy, scary space journey ever and can be read as a stand-alone too.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Troposphere posted:

Shirley Jackson

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

tuyop posted:

Solaris.
This is a great book, read this one.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Rusty posted:

This is a great book, read this one.

I know, right? Such an awesome depiction of inconceivable alien ontology and the horror of interacting with that. I love that book.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Is the Sharpe's Rifles series good? Do I need to start with the first? I have been reading a bunch of Hornblower and want to find some similar stuff. Not necessarily Nautical fiction, but persistent characters in a military career. Like Aubrey or Gaunt's Ghosts or whatever.

Edit: Also there was a book that inspired Metro 2033 I can't remember.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Roadside Picnic?

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

SquadronROE posted:

Edit: Also there was a book that inspired Metro 2033 I can't remember.

edit: nevermind, thought you were referring to the game.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Roadside Picnic?

Not Roadside Picnic. That was good but inspired Stalker.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

The book your looking for is called Metro 2033

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

There were even adds for the book in game :wooper:

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

HE means that the book of MEtro 2033 was based on another book, and that is the book he wishes to find.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Actually he might not mean that.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

CestMoi posted:

HE means that the book of MEtro 2033 was based on another book, and that is the book he wishes to find.

In that case its going to be several books like Roadside Picnic, the ice company series, snowpeircer comic, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Who cares anyway the MEtro 2033 book is bad to read.