Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
A couple weeks ago, I was irked at something work related and got one of those LinkedIn "these companies near you are hiring" emails. I quickly browsed them, saw a company I'd be interested in working for, and fired off a resume through LinkedIn. I quickly forgot about it until they emailed me this afternoon wanting a phone interview. So.. now this is going to add about 15-20 minutes or more to my commute. What kind of commute are you willing to handle for a good job?

As far as the interview, I have no idea how to handle this. I agreed to the interview without really thinking, but then I realized that just before the interview is supposed to take place I'm getting maintenance at a dealership because of a recall, so I'll be at the dealership for about an hour and a half. My plan was to do the interview there unless you fine folks think that's a terrible idea. I'm assuming I can find a quiet spot, and I wouldn't do it at home anyway because the phone service at my house is atrocious, and I can't exactly handle it at work. Should I re-schedule the maintenance or the interview or just run with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

No Butt Stuff posted:

Follow-up.

Got in late, met the Director for dinner at 8. Ended up eating and speaking with him until 10:30, then getting to the office the next morning and interviewing with different teams about multiple other positions. I was told that compensation for all jobs have the same ranges, and all jobs are offered at regular or Senior levels. The relocation package is INSANE, and I think there's actually a chance to make an impact in their supply chain as an analyst, as much I loathe to say it. They spend $750M a year, but send all data out of house quarterly and wait for it to be loaded to an external dashboard. Savings are calculated based on estimates. Basically, the entire reporting structure needs to be rebuilt.

It was all but said I'll be getting an offer and the director started talking about start dates, showing me their data, and talking to me about signing bonus vs. Relocation package. (The relocation package is probably worth 40k after taxes, so I don't see them being willing to give me a 75k signing bonus to make it worth the headache of taking it, even though if they did I would just pack everything myself and save 10 grand on the move.)

I expect an offer next week, which will probably be at the normal level. I think that given what they're describing to me and asking of the position, I'll be asking for the Senior level and an increase. The thing I wonder is if most companies use the jr/sr level thing to give someone a decent salary boost after a year in role or whatever. I guess this should be in the negotiating thread when they actually offer, but this is rolling over in my head at the moment. Is it recommended to fire back and ask to be hired at the Sr level and the commensurate salary bump if you can back it up with good reasoning?
So the director loved your resume and wanted to make sure he got first crack at you.

In response the bolded part: You will never have a better opportunity to do so. So go for it. The director has already tipped his hand that he wants to hire you. If you want the job, you got it. You're in a position of strength here.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

New Leaf posted:

What kind of commute are you willing to handle for a good job?

Should I re-schedule the maintenance or the interview or just run with it?

Depends on where you live and what sort of commute I'd say. My commute is 55 miles one way and take about an hour, but it's 90% highway and there is never any traffic apart from the rare accident that ties up the highway so I don't really mind it. An hour in stop and go city traffic or rush hour traffic would be a whole different story. I also live to the east of where I work so I'm never driving into the sun. I do need to get monthly oil changes though.

You could ask the dealership if they have a spare office you could borrow. Depends on the dealership though.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Depends on where you live and what sort of commute I'd say. My commute is 55 miles one way and take about an hour, but it's 90% highway and there is never any traffic apart from the rare accident that ties up the highway so I don't really mind it. An hour in stop and go city traffic or rush hour traffic would be a whole different story. I also live to the east of where I work so I'm never driving into the sun. I do need to get monthly oil changes though.

You could ask the dealership if they have a spare office you could borrow. Depends on the dealership though.

Thanks- this would be a ~44 mile commute at around 45 minutes, primarily on a big 70mph highway. I wouldn't mind it either, I like chilling out on the road listening to music, and I drive a hybrid so maintenance and gas aren't really an issue.

And yeah, that was the plan. I've bought my last 2 cars from these guys, and they're a huge operation around here, so hopefully they'll help me out.

poopathy
Feb 6, 2015
Hey goons, I'm getting ready for an on site interview at a games company for a business intelligence/data analyst position (finally - after 4 phone interviews). Even though so far about half of the interview time has been technical/test stuff, I'm certain that the interview will consist mostly of cases. If anybody has any experience doing on site case interviews for this kind of position (or any other useful info) I would really appreciate it.

coop52
May 10, 2009

I applied to a job posting on Monster and got an email asking me to forward my resume and call. I sent them my resume and asked when would be a good time to call, but there's been no response. It's been 3 days since I asked for the time. Should I just go ahead and call or wait to see if they reply?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

coop52 posted:

I applied to a job posting on Monster and got an email asking me to forward my resume and call. I sent them my resume and asked when would be a good time to call, but there's been no response. It's been 3 days since I asked for the time. Should I just go ahead and call or wait to see if they reply?

I would just call. They would have listed a time in the job posting if they wanted you to call at a specific time.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
I'm not exactly sure how to ask this question, but what's an appropriate ratio of black-to-white on a resume? That is, how do you know how much text should there be? I always feel conflicted between trying to get evidence of all the qualifications and having everything squished together and hard to read.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I purchased the Resume To Interview Service, and my entire 1 page is full of text.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I've been reworking my resume recently and wanted to know if anyone had any feedback:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzIYR0HtbEqeZXlKTk4tLVBPUkU/view?usp=sharing

I'm applying mostly for Technical Program management positions and so most of my resume is focused around the current job. Let me know if you see anything missing.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
General question, hopefully DustingDuvet or somebody who has used Resumes to Interviews can comment. I'm waiting to hear back about a job, and if I hear that I didn't get it, I'm going to bite the bullet and have my resume professionally redone. Obviously I've read tons and tons of glowing reviews about R2I and generally speaking I like to support goon businesses. But $270 is kind of a lot, especially when I can go on Groupon and find resume rewriting services for 30 bucks. My sister recommended one to me that she used, and after they redid her resume she landed a dream job; that one is $99.

So, if I get my resume redone, how do I know which service to choose?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
I have a resume formatting question - what's the best practice for presenting work experience when you go from one organization to another and then back to the first? I worked for Organization A for about a year and half, quit and worked for Organization B for 8 months, and now I'm back at A with the same job title and responsibilities as I had before. They're sister organizations and the whole flip-flop back and forth was planned from the beginning - I'm just wondering how to present it. Ordinarily you put the most recent work at the top, which in this example would be A, but my work with B was higher profile and more challenging, so I'd prefer it not get buried. And then should I write it like:

Organization A - Jan 2013 - April 2014, Dec 2014 - present
Bullets
Organization B - April 2014 - Dec 2014
Bullets

Or what?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

timp posted:

General question, hopefully DustingDuvet or somebody who has used Resumes to Interviews can comment. I'm waiting to hear back about a job, and if I hear that I didn't get it, I'm going to bite the bullet and have my resume professionally redone. Obviously I've read tons and tons of glowing reviews about R2I and generally speaking I like to support goon businesses. But $270 is kind of a lot, especially when I can go on Groupon and find resume rewriting services for 30 bucks. My sister recommended one to me that she used, and after they redid her resume she landed a dream job; that one is $99.

Look at samples from each place and pick the one that inspires the most confidence in you :confused:

That's really the only way you're going to be able to decide. There's not some universal rule for good resumes. Most of the ones I've seen DD do in this thread are certainly better than they were going in, but I stand by my comment in the OP that you probably don't need to use a resume service if you can quantify your accomplishments and write a sales document.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I purchased the Resume To Interview Service, and my entire 1 page is full of text.

So you're against the left quarter of the page being a dates column that we see on some templates?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

KernelSlanders posted:

So you're against the left quarter of the page being a dates column that we see on some templates?

I don't know that you need to be that extreme but please have some whitespace and don't squish your resume into 1/8" margins while using 8 pt Bullshit Micro as your font.

Use 12-point TNR/Calibri/Helvetica and provide enough visual breaks that I can browse and glance -- if you're not doing this, you're probably not getting read. Learn to be concise.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

timp posted:

I had this same situation. I bit the bullet and purchase resume to interview service. The TLDR is that I'm both happy with the final product but also feel hustled because yeah, that's a lot of money. The problem is I haven't tried any other services, so I don't know if they are as good or not. Also it's really nebulous has much value the service adds. With that said, I think the back and forth dialogue with the editor is very useful both for the resume and for interviews. I'd also consider the fact that if you want to get the resume done in less than two weeks, the faster turnaround service is pretty much required. Given that R2I would have to be like, 3.5x as much value as the other option, I'd try the $99 dollar one and see where that goes. But to be honest it seems like the most important part of resumes is stating your accomplishments in aggressive, past-tense bullet points. (See Below)

Shadowhand00 posted:

I've been reworking my resume recently and wanted to know if anyone had any feedback:

I'm applying mostly for Technical Program management positions and so most of my resume is focused around the current job. Let me know if you see anything missing.

My final product from Resume to Interview has a lot of differences from this resume, but the bones are fairly identical.

KernelSlanders posted:

The resume I received from R2I did not have that isolated date column. Pretty much everything is left aligned with a few indentations for bullet point stuff.

Bisty Q. posted:

That's really the only way you're going to be able to decide. There's not some universal rule for good resumes. Most of the ones I've seen DD do in this thread are certainly better than they were going in, but I stand by my comment in the OP that you probably don't need to use a resume service if you can quantify your accomplishments and write a sales document.

I'm agreeing with the general thrust of this post.

edit: and pretty much everything Bisty Q. is saying.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 10, 2015

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Is it ok/good/bad to add how much you would like to return to a region onto a cover letter? Something like "I was raised in [region x], I went to [college in region x], and I worked in [region x]. I am eager to return to [region x]" ?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

My final product from Resume to Interview has a lot of differences from this resume, but the bones are fairly identical.

What do you mean the bones?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
What's the thought on how to show company awards with meaningless names on your resume? For example I received a [Sillyname] Award for my role in solving a particular technical problem with a customer. Should I enter: "Received [Sillyname] Award for role in solving [technical problem]" or just say "Received award for role in solving [technical problem]"?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Is it normal for a company to expect me to pay for my own hotel and rental car and then re-imburse me for an interview? They even stated their "preferred car provider."

I'm not sure I'm okay with this, since I can see them denying some charge if I don't get booked in the right type of room or something.

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

No Butt Stuff posted:

Is it normal for a company to expect me to pay for my own hotel and rental car and then re-imburse me for an interview? They even stated their "preferred car provider."

I'm not sure I'm okay with this, since I can see them denying some charge if I don't get booked in the right type of room or something.

Sounds standard to me. When I flew up to Boston, they paid for my flight ahead of time, and booked my hotel/car but I paid for those and was reimbursed. If you have to book it yourself, ask if there is a limit/not to exceed amount that you are covered for.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Shadowhand00 posted:

What do you mean the bones?

The majority of your resume is experience, with short bullet points that communicate what do you did.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

No Butt Stuff posted:

Depends on the size of the company and their budget. I interviewed with a huge national company and they paid everything including giving me an expense report to bill them for my meals and gas since a couple hundred bucks was nothing to their bottom line. I've also interviewed with a small 15-20 person company and they paid for nothing.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Depends on the size of the company and their budget. I interviewed with a huge national company and they paid everything including giving me an expense report to bill them for my meals and gas since a couple hundred bucks was nothing to their bottom line. I've also interviewed with a small 15-20 person company and they paid for nothing.

It's Ingersoll. They're pretty large. I'm just worried about red tape costing me money.

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

No Butt Stuff posted:

It's Ingersoll. They're pretty large. I'm just worried about red tape costing me money.

Why can't you just ask if they only cover up to a certain amount? Obv I wouldn't expect them to cover a first-class plane ticket or a fancy hotel room, but (as someone who works in billing travel for a huge gov't contractor) I'd say they'll pretty much just cover it. Unless it's government in which case there is usually a strict "not to exceed." When I interviewed for Raytheon I just sent them receipts and they sent me back a check.

Monkey Knife Fight
Sep 1, 2008

Future #1 Forums Superstar
Transitioning out of the military in a a year and change, really got my eye on going back to school for my graduate degree, but I've been working on my resume now for the past year. This is a baseline resume to tailor for whatever job I'm looking for, so it's not targeted at anything in particular. I've tried to keep my resume skills focused as opposed to I don't know "combat focused" or whatever. No one is going to care if I got into firefights or dropped bombs or whatever. I've also learned from going online and working with resume companies that every single person has a different opinion on how they should look and be formatted, so I'm really interested in any constructive feedback on content as opposed to my margins and poo poo.

For what it's worth, this is the end result of three months of back and forth working with Resumestointerviews.com. If anyone's interested I can go into what my experience with them was. Not bad, not amazing either. I felt like they wanted me to write it and they would basically format it. My impression of their service was that they would guide me through the process and kind of "translate" what I have done into a resume, since I've been military all my life and have absolutely no experience with the job market and expectations in the civilian sector. I felt like I would write these long paragraphs explaining my job and stuff I've done and what I want to communicate and they wouldn't coach me on what was and wasn't important, how I should sell those things on a resume, areas I should expand on and areas that I shouldn't go into detail on. I expected with their service that they would sit down with me, find out about my last 10 years of work experience, and would construct my resume from that. I don't know if what they did was the standard or what, again, I have no experience. It was just different than I thought it would be. At the end of the day I felt like they could have provided me a format and I could have filled in the blanks. Also, I paid for the LinkedIn profile. Granted it was only 5 bucks or whatever but they literally just copy pasted my resume into LinkedIn. Plus they didn't even get all the job titles right. No kind of personalization or tailoring for the site or anything. Very disappointed in that aspect of the service. I could have done what they did in about five minutes. Honestly I just reached a point with them after a few months where I was like gently caress it, sure, it's good, thanks. I guess I just poo poo on them a little bit in this rant, but honestly just getting to the point where I have what I have was very helpful since I was starting from nothing, so it was worth it for that at least. I feel like I definitely have something to build off of. Just wasn't the resume mentorship experience I expected. Like they'd ask me a few simple questions about my work experience and what I thought was important enough to go on the resume and I'd think "dude, I don't know, you're the resume expert. I just wrote you an essay on what I did for the last 3 years, YOU TELL ME what should go on the resume, I'm paying you for YOUR expertise in this area."

Here ya go:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0iIULph6aiVdHZBU1o0SmdqN1E/view?usp=sharing

[edit] Hey potential employers who would pull up this resume and realize HOLY gently caress I WANT TO HIRE THIS RANDOM DUDE ON THE INTERNET: I'm an idiot that can't read the first post that says don't post your resume asking for feedback. Let it hereby be known that this post is solely here for the purpose of telling people my experience with resumetointerviews.com and showing the end product of one person's experience with them. My bad.

Monkey Knife Fight fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 10, 2015

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Your link doesn't work.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
edit

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Dec 17, 2017

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
I have a phone interview tomorrow with the CEO and VP of a startup. gently caress.

Monkey Knife Fight
Sep 1, 2008

Future #1 Forums Superstar

No Butt Stuff posted:

Your link doesn't work.

Sorry, google drive is weird. I think it should work now. Thanks for the heads up.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Shadowhand00 posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on the content? Too wordy? Not enough info?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

I also used Resume to Interviews and this was also my general reaction. I expected some business insight or experience, and instead it was mainly just copy pasting my answers into a format. Also they didn't put my work experience at the top.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Shadowhand00 posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on the content? Too wordy? Not enough info?

Looks pretty good to me, but I don't hire TPMs. If you can talk about something specific that YOU did to help make the team more efficient beyond the initial bullet point, I think that would go a long way. Something like "Introduced kanban boards and reduced mean ticket age from 90 days to 45", if that is applicable, of course.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Bisty Q. posted:

Looks pretty good to me, but I don't hire TPMs. If you can talk about something specific that YOU did to help make the team more efficient beyond the initial bullet point, I think that would go a long way. Something like "Introduced kanban boards and reduced mean ticket age from 90 days to 45", if that is applicable, of course.

Appreciate the feedback.

I've added something along these lines:

• Identified key process inefficiencies. As a solution, proposed and helped adopt Scrum and Agile Framework into the client team. Adoption reduced overall project cycle from a one month to a two week sprint.

I was actually having a really hard time adding stuff about forming teams really quickly and leading them to becoming high performing. I just feel anyone can write that. The only metric I could come up with was velocity and that's just bullshit unless you see the actual business value being delivered anyway.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
So I have a friend who is applying for work. He pursued a masters in education after having a very successful undergrad as a biology student, but after earning his degree it turned out that teaching high school is not something he actively wants to pursue. So he's been applying to jobs that make use of his biology degree. Should he be leaving his master's off his resume when he applies or does the gap in employment look worse than being overqualified/irrelevant masters for the jobs hes applying to?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Is it ok/good/bad to add how much you would like to return to a region onto a cover letter? Something like "I was raised in [region x], I went to [college in region x], and I worked in [region x]. I am eager to return to [region x]" ?

Thoughts?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

^^^ I'd save that for the interview, and I'd use it as support for another reason you've "chosen" the company.

I got a quick e-mail to call the director who wanted me. He got the go ahead to post the position externally, and told me I needed to formally apply for it. He went on to say that it had to stay open for 2 weeks, and I should look for him to call about a week after that. He told me it would be at the Senior level, and he could fly me out for a "second interview" if I wanted for a day or two, just so I could see the city and what not.

So I guess I'm playing the waiting game and convincing my wife not to count our chickens before they hatch. Glassdoor tells me that I should be looking for the 90k range, which would be a significant boost to what I'm making now, with way better benefits and a much better raise. He said there may be budget issues with the relocation package that HR showed me, but honestly, I don't care, as long as I'm not paying the commission on my house, or paying for my own move. The other incentives are whatever, and I can probably negotiate a small signing bonus on top of a reduced moving package if I felt I needed the additional compensation.

That said, I'm pretty happy, and now I can slog through my days at work with a light at the end of the tunnel. The downside is I have a couple other companies who want me to fly out and speak to them in other regions, and I'm not sure it's wise to turn any of them down yet, even if I'm not all that excited about the opportunities.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

No Butt Stuff posted:

That said, I'm pretty happy, and now I can slog through my days at work with a light at the end of the tunnel. The downside is I have a couple other companies who want me to fly out and speak to them in other regions, and I'm not sure it's wise to turn any of them down yet, even if I'm not all that excited about the opportunities.

Take the interviews. It sounds like you don't have the job you want in writing yet, so you effectively have nothing.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I am. Looks like there are a few more plane rides in store for me in the next couple weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I'm applying for an engineering job through a company's career website and I have to generate an online profile with them. There's a box for minimum salary requested... They don't list the salary range in the job description on the company website but I did find the job posting on Monster (the company name was kept anonymous listing but the text was almost identical so it wasn't hard to sleuth that one out) and they listed a range of $X-$Y.

I'm thinking about putting down the average of the $X and $Y numbers I saw on Monster. Also considering the upper range, idk. I hate having to give the first number since it hurts future negotiations especially since there's so much more than just salary that goes into compensation.

What would you goons do?