Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Funnypost Collabo posted:

I understand why I can't send level 3+ characters in to level 1 quests, but that restriction should be lifted for boss quests! :(

Yeah, for bosses it'd be nice if you could challenge them with a higher level party, and just have the boss mission difficulty bumped up to match the party.

Some bosses are probably specifically balanced for that level of heroes, though.

ZeusJupitar posted:

Question for those who've got that far - are the bosses distinct or are they palette swaps/buffed versions of each other? I was a bit dubious when I saw 'Apprentice Necromancer - Necromancer - Master Necromancer'.

There's plenty of bosses that have nothing to do with necromancers, so they're not all palette swaps.

I don't know if the later ones are palette swaps of the earlier ones, though. Haven't fought the necromancer proper yet. I bet he's different even if he uses the same sprite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Apple2o posted:

drat I just got my A-team wrecked by the swine prince. I thought he would stop enraged smashing everyone if I just finished off the little one really quick. He delivered 3 deathblows in one turn.

Well, if it helps, once you realize you should just let the little poo poo live until you've finished off the big guy himself, he's probably the easiest of them all.

ZeusJupitar posted:

Question for those who've got that far - are the bosses distinct or are they palette swaps/buffed versions of each other? I was a bit dubious when I saw 'Apprentice Necromancer - Necromancer - Master Necromancer'.

I've done the tier 1 and tier 2 versions of the three bosses in the game at the moment, and I didn't notice any difference other than them having more HP and doing more damage. I'm not even sure if they had any new abilities.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 5, 2015

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

victrix posted:

I sent a tweet about [prolonging combat against one enemy while a priest heals] to the devs, they said they're aware of it (stun destress/heal repeatedly), just waiting for all the release fallout to shake out before they start tinkering.
OH NO!

My sweet exploits.. :smith:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Well on balance I'd also appreciate them getting rid of bullshit aoe attacks critting on every target at the same time...

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I crafted two levels of the Steam badge and got the same background and emoticon twice. Even outside the game the RNG is loving me. :argh:

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I don't think that's as much cheese as having as hiring a throwaway party, entering a dungeon, then immediately retreating in order to get your dudes back from stress relief activities.

I get to about week 10, but then my money just tanks. I think I need to work on my provisions... sometimes I go really light, but the lack of torch and food makes it so everyone is super stressed out, other times I end up taking a bunch of poo poo I don't need. I also start piling up Quirks that limit their stress relief stuff, so it sucks that one guy will only drink but the stupid grandpa is in the bar at that time, or whatever.

This game really fatigues me, I can only play for so long before I feel exhausted from being on edge all the time.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
gently caress the hag. gently caress the hag forever.

There goes my A Team.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Firstborn posted:

This game really fatigues me, I can only play for so long before I feel exhausted from being on edge all the time.

Yeah kinda reminds me of Silent Hill 2. Not scary like SH2, but it does fatigue you from being super loving tense for every minute of gameplay, so you have to play in bursts.

The Crooked Warden posted:

gently caress the hag. gently caress the hag forever.

There goes my A Team.

Yeah she's really loving frustrating.

I'm so sorry :smith:

It does feel really loving good to kill her though :black101:

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
So my best Battlemage priest healer girl decided to go on a quest of enlightenment after praying in the Chapel.

Problem is she's now disappeared from my roster.

Please don't tell me shes gone forever was my most legendary character ?!

Does anyone know if this is a thing :negative:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Firstborn posted:

I got to week 10 not losing a man, but just steadily ran out of cash.

Haha, my Crusader turned Irrational when his stress peaked, and then when my Plague Doctor missed an attack he said in all caps, "I JUDGE THEE MENTALLY INCOMPETENT."

If you're running out of cash despite not failing missions, you're almost certainly over-provisioning. Buy less poo poo and you'll see bigger profit margins. The natural inclination is "Oh god I should bring like 20 torches and 12 bandages and 12 antivenoms and 6 shovels and and" but that poo poo cuts into your haul both by sucking up all your inventory slots and the fact that you're paying good money for all that stuff and any of it you don't use just poofs into the void with no returns.

If you're really struggling for cash, hire four random shlubs and send them on a level 1 mission with no provisions at all. They'll almost certainly die and/or end up insane but anything you get out of them is pure profit.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

VoLaTiLe posted:

So my best Battlemage priest healer girl decided to go on a quest of enlightenment after praying in the Chapel.

Don't worry, she'll likely be back in a week or two. Just keep an open spot in your roster for her.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Don't worry, she'll likely be back in a week or two. Just keep an open spot in your roster for her.
Don't even need to keep a spot open - you can exceed your max roster when this happens.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Just downloaded a 1.4MB patch. Hopefully/likely a bugfix.

VoLaTiLe posted:

Welcome to Darkest Dungeon :)

Don't worry

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

• -disablevideo command-line option as potential workaround for PC Players (See this thread http://steamcommunity.com/app/262060/discussions/1/612823460250609966/)
  • Can no longer open Options dialog when confirmation dialog is up
  • Save games disappearing fix
  • You can now back out of obstacles
  • Stress bars now round down to the nearest 10
  • Hellion's Barbaric Yawp no longer buffs twice
  • Various stability fixes
  • Brigand Fusiliers are not quite as fiendishly deadly as before
  • Brigand Bloodletters are still hulking and menacing, but die a tiny bit more quickly

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Ugh, think I got a broken quest. Had to purify 3 alter things, but can only find two. I've been in every room of the dungeon. A map I found earlier labeled the 3 altars for me, but one of the rooms it marked was empty. I can't figure out what to do, unless the altar is in a hallway but that seems odd. Plus I'm wary about blundering around since I know there's at least one battle in that hall and my Graverobber has turned into masochistic idiotic, courtesy of rear end in a top hat goblet skeleton.

gently caress you :argh:

Wegee
Jul 26, 2006
So what makes the Jester good? He's the only character I look at and just don't see it.

Edit: More I look at it, the more I'm thinking it's because of the base stats. Highdodge and crit seems nice.

Wegee fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 5, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Wegee posted:

So what makes the Jester good? He's the only character I look at and just don't see it.

Great buffer, insane crit and dodge at higher levels.

Edit: Also, remember that his buffs stack.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Ugh, think I got a broken quest. Had to purify 3 alter things, but can only find two. I've been in every room of the dungeon. A map I found earlier labeled the 3 altars for me, but one of the rooms it marked was empty. I can't figure out what to do, unless the altar is in a hallway but that seems odd. Plus I'm wary about blundering around since I know there's at least one battle in that hall and my Graverobber has turned into masochistic idiotic, courtesy of rear end in a top hat goblet skeleton.

Sometimes the quest objectives are in hallways.

Wegee posted:

He has the highest base crit chance (Grave Robber is higher with crit bonuses on skills, though), high dodge, a great party crit/speed/accuracy buff, and a movement attack.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I dunno man. I look at Jester and Leper and just don't see the appeal.

E: oh it's a higher level thing?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Internet Kraken posted:

I had the same thing happen. Really frustrating.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Jackard posted:

I dunno man. I look at Jester and Leper and just don't see the appeal.

E: oh it's a higher level thing?

The Jester, Highwayman, and Grave Robber are all kind of weak at rank 0-2, but once they hit 3+ they really take off due to the fact that their crit and dodge are finally high enough to rely on and they're not doing like 4-6 damage with their un-upgraded weapons anymore. They also all have great movesets, but they can't take advantage of them until their damage catches up.

e: The Leper is similar in that he gets a lot better as he levels up and gains more accuracy. His base damage is crazy, but I think crits and dodge give the three 'light' classes an advantage.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I would gladly trade some of the Leper's abilities for more versatile skills. Like, if they had a move that was literally a Paladin's Cover skill from Final Fantasy, they'd probably be in my party all the time just to soak hits for more fragile and important characters. I do like the Knockback/- Acc attack, though. That's useful against some big things that need to not be in the front row anymore or need a debuff.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Didn't notice this thread until now. This game is tons of fun. It's super rare nowadays to have games that are designed for you to be beat to poo poo and trudge on, as opposed to avoiding being beat to poo poo in the first place.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
It's really bullshit that if you attack multiple enemies and one dodges it they all dodge.

Also bullshit is an enemy attacking multiple heroes and if one attack crits they all crit.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What are you supposed to do if someone gets two traits that require specific stress relief? One of my priests is Flagellant and God Fearing. If I try to have her pray she wants the whips, if I try to get her to repent she wants the booth. Do you have no choice but to put them in the sanitarium to remove one?

applebane
Jun 5, 2011

Red Mundus posted:

It's really bullshit that if you attack multiple enemies and one dodges it they all dodge.

Also bullshit is an enemy attacking multiple heroes and if one attack crits they all crit.

eh, I've had one enemy dodge and the other 2 still get hit from the hellions thrust attack fairly often, and I have also had one character take a crit when others take normal hit or dodge from enemy aoe also; I just think its rng like most stuff in game.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Red Mundus posted:

Amusingly enough that's not accurate, the dodge bit at least. It looks like it in groups with the same Dodge rating, but I've definitely seen Hellions connect one for three on a group of two veteran wolves (28% Dodge) and one other mob with less. I think it's just rolled with one to-hit roll, and dodge is deducted individually and compared to accuracy.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
...I had a game crash and I'm pretty sure all my adventurers just went down to level 0, 0 stress, no trinkets... and my starting crusader doesn't have kleptomania anymore? What on earth is happening.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Oh, and also:

What fun!

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Maybe the kleptomaniac just stole EVERYTHING? :v:

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I always take my trinkets off of people I'm benching, just in case. I don't want my compulsive gambler pawning off my only blue trinket or something. I wish there was a little ring or something next to the character's portrait in your roster, just so you can easily tell who's got extra gear you might want to move around.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

What are you supposed to do if someone gets two traits that require specific stress relief? One of my priests is Flagellant and God Fearing. If I try to have her pray she wants the whips, if I try to get her to repent she wants the booth. Do you have no choice but to put them in the sanitarium to remove one?
You can kick them out of your party and get someone less crazy.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's really weird because it seems like my roster is full of all the same characters as before... they've just been booted down to level 0 and seemingly randomized. They all have different quirks from before and most of them have different skills. Everything's borked

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Is there ever any actual reason to discard a trinket?

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Waffle! posted:

I always take my trinkets off of people I'm benching, just in case. I don't want my compulsive gambler pawning off my only blue trinket or something. I wish there was a little ring or something next to the character's portrait in your roster, just so you can easily tell who's got extra gear you might want to move around.

In general the inventory management could be better. I would settle for a 'remove everything from all guys'-button.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is there ever any actual reason to discard a trinket?

Out of trinket space?

Does anyone know what happens when your trinket box is full and you get one from finishing a quest? Does it give you a "discard" screen akin to being overburdened in a dungeon? Or does it automatically overwrite like it does with quirks?

tidiox
Jul 22, 2007
The game really needs to do a better job of indicating where debuffs originate. I've got a 3 different characters who're sitting in my roster, freshly de-stressed , but for some reason they've all got -25% DMG and -5 SPD from "Other." Does Meditating give a debuff even the log shows no negative effect? (I doubt that's it, since I don't think they all meditated for de-stressing.) Could they have gotten it from something in a dungeon that doesn't show up on their character sheet? If it's a permanent debuff then I might as well toss them, but I have no idea what's causing it.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I have definitely seen some stats not update properly (buying armor), so somehow the game might have not removed debuffs from stress?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I like the plague doctor quite a bit but dang she could use a buff. Flashbang is awesome for shutting up the obnoxious fuckers that are always in the back 2 ranks, and incision can wreck face, but I'm sort of underwhelmed by her buffs and other bomb attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
The blight/bleed cure is useful if you're not rolling with tons of bandages & antivenoms, also.

I agree that a buff is in order.