Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006

Caitlin posted:

I really, really loving hate Pac Man Fever. And I extra hate that I have to hear it at nearly every retro gaming themed event I end up attending. I would punch Buckner & Garcia in the face.

Pac Man Fever is terrible but what about Chubby Checker's Dig Dug?

https://soundcloud.com/theozman/dig-dug-sung-by-cubby-checker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I like Pac-Man Fever but Goin' Berzerk is even better.

I THINK I'M GOIN' BERZERK! WOULD YOU LIKE TO COME TOO?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

On the topic of retro game music (as in music about retro games, not music from retro games, though it may use samples), I recently rediscovered this funky-rear end poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_Piivy8tik

I have no idea why the gently caress it exists, and no idea why it apparently was a Japan exclusive (would have figured it to be a NoA project), but it's pretty rad.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

MediumWellDone posted:

Hey Retro thread, do you have any purchases you regret?

Hmm, I'd have to say off the top of my head:

Wonderswan Color because I got it right when it came out and never bothered to import any games for it...

Sega 32X that I got for a decent price before I bothered to look at the library for it.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Caitlin posted:

I would punch Buckner & Garcia in the face.
Would you settle for one of the two?

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Saoshyant posted:

Can you follow up with a bit more info, please? Tried to search for "zif cable 32X fix" and just "zif cable sega 32X" and all I'm getting are hits about how unreliable and crappy the toaster NES was.

Looks like someone else elaborated (I was phone posting) but this site: http://sonic-cult.org/articles/32x/ helped me when I had issues with my 32x. It's been a while since I've had one, but reseating that cable/cables fixed things up.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Caitlin posted:

I really, really loving hate Pac Man Fever. And I extra hate that I have to hear it at nearly every retro gaming themed event I end up attending. I would punch Buckner & Garcia in the face.

That's just silly. You gotta have someone hold them down and kick'em in the groin. They'll remember it longer that way :toughguy:.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

As my time in Columbus crawls to an end, I just wanna thank Caitlin again for turning me on to Warp Zone. There's over a dozen game shops here, and its like exactly out of my way, but they have fair pricing, and really know their poo poo. It's a rarity to shop a game store where they know more than I do, and a treat to not have to google random poo poo that pops into my head when looking at games. I can just shout, "hey is this the best version of XXXXXXXX or was it the 3DO one I don't remember" and have a list of the pros v. cons spat back at me. makes me spend WAY more money.

Edit: Also I downloaded Tinder to find someone to go to 16-bit with. I don't think I'm using this app right.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Hopefully I don't mess the thread up too much by tossing this up in here, but I came across a drawer full of old game carts and what not from when I was a kid, including Earthbound. Nothing's anywhere near mint, but I figure that if there's any collectors out there they're welcome to take a look and see if I have anything they're interested in: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3699031

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

RodShaft posted:

Edit: Also I downloaded Tinder to find someone to go to 16-bit with. I don't think I'm using this app right.

Is that what the kids call it these days?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

RodShaft posted:

As my time in Columbus crawls to an end, I just wanna thank Caitlin again for turning me on to Warp Zone. There's over a dozen game shops here, and its like exactly out of my way, but they have fair pricing, and really know their poo poo. It's a rarity to shop a game store where they know more than I do, and a treat to not have to google random poo poo that pops into my head when looking at games. I can just shout, "hey is this the best version of XXXXXXXX or was it the 3DO one I don't remember" and have a list of the pros v. cons spat back at me. makes me spend WAY more money.

I live in Columbus and keep meaning to go to Warp Zone but I'm too lazy.

What stores did you hit up?

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
Rose Colored Gaming is making their own emulator handheld.
About the size of an original Game Boy, and has HDMI out. They're aiming for under $300. Could be cool, but I think I'll just stick with my CFW PSP. It may not emulate all of those systems as well, but at least it has PSP and PS1 games.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Tobaccrow posted:

About the size of an original Game Boy, and has HDMI out. They're aiming for under $300. Could be cool, but I think I'll just stick with my CFW PSP. It may not emulate all of those systems as well, but at least it has PSP and PS1 games.

I've got a GCW-Zero for my emulation handheld needs, and while some emulation is a bit spotty since the emulators haven't been developed that much yet, I'm not quite seeing what this thing has over the Zero, which came at a much nicer price point with ~150$. That, and shoulder buttons on the back sounds kind of icky.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tobaccrow posted:

I was wondering why it's so huge and it's because they're using a plain Raspberry Pi. Hopefully they wise up and move to the new Raspberry Pi 2 that's just coming out and has a quad core 900 mhz newer ARM processor instead of the 600 mhz single core processor in the original.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

There's one in the mall. Not great prices, but they have one of them dentist Atari Jaguar things. Also 3do games.

Capital Games. HUGE selection of nes games. Zero Genesis or 32x. Magic cards and random stuff you just don't see often. Neo geo pockets, bible adventures, exodus. No prices. They Google everything and knock a couple bucks off the average price.

Warp zone. Tons of imports. GREAT prices. Knowledgeable, like to chat about game stuff. Were watching Game Sack when I was in there last.

There's a few pawn shops and "games" stores next to check cashing places. I stopped at. All sports games or CRAZY overpriced. or both.

There was another one by target owned by the Capital Games guy. It had more cheapo games and strategy books. But about the same.

I'm working in Whitehall and staying in Gahanna. I got one more day if you have any suggestions. I haven't quite hit my game budget for the trip, but it's close.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

Hopefully they wise up

Its Rose Colored Gaming so no.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Only Shallow fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 26, 2015

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

:cawg:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

RodShaft posted:

There's one in the mall. Not great prices, but they have one of them dentist Atari Jaguar things. Also 3do games.

Capital Games. HUGE selection of nes games. Zero Genesis or 32x. Magic cards and random stuff you just don't see often. Neo geo pockets, bible adventures, exodus. No prices. They Google everything and knock a couple bucks off the average price.

Warp zone. Tons of imports. GREAT prices. Knowledgeable, like to chat about game stuff. Were watching Game Sack when I was in there last.

There's a few pawn shops and "games" stores next to check cashing places. I stopped at. All sports games or CRAZY overpriced. or both.

There was another one by target owned by the Capital Games guy. It had more cheapo games and strategy books. But about the same.

I'm working in Whitehall and staying in Gahanna. I got one more day if you have any suggestions. I haven't quite hit my game budget for the trip, but it's close.

All the game stores that I go to have closed so I can't add anything. Thanks for listing all of those though, I'll be sure to actually go to at least Warp Zone.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Tobaccrow posted:

Back when they first posted this on their facebook page, they claimed (edit: I just looked and it's still up there), that it would play all of the listed systems at full speed. Can the Pi-1 really do CPS1, NEO GEO, GBA and PC Engine at full speed? That's something I've been wondering about and wanting to ask, but whenever the owner gets any kind of dissenting opinion posted he either goes off on the person or just lets his frothing fans do it for him.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Agrias120 posted:

Back when they first posted this on their facebook page, they claimed (edit: I just looked and it's still up there), that it would play all of the listed systems at full speed. Can the Pi-1 really do CPS1, NEO GEO, GBA and PC Engine at full speed? That's something I've been wondering about and wanting to ask, but whenever the owner gets any kind of dissenting opinion posted he either goes off on the person or just lets his frothing fans do it for him.

It can almost do it with frame skip and overclocking.

That's where upgrading to the Pi 2 would really help.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Not buying from Rose Coloured Gaming would also help!

1CC shirt for February 2015: Natsume - Serious Fun! http://1cc.storenvy.com/collections/257547-all-products/products/11956104-natsume-serious-fun-1cc-shirt-of-the-month-21-february

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

vkeios posted:

Its Rose Colored Gaming so no.

dude Rasperry Pi is pretty cheap, they could make like... 7 of them

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Made a post in the Great Game Swap thread with a handful of games I'm looking to trade. Nothing terribly amazing but a few decent games that are not all Double Dribble.

Though Double Dribble loving rules and even if they were all Double Dribble carts you should trade for them anyway.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The Kins posted:

This is great! I made a couple of adjustments to mine based on stuff in yours that I missed (among other little corrections and tweaks)

This is really good and thank you for making it.

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

Quiet Feet posted:

Though Double Dribble Clutch loving rules and even if they were all Double Dribble Clutch carts you should trade for them anyway.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Good game! Next up is Dynastic Hero.

Couldn't find an easy, quick, or batch way to resize these without it doing the bilenear filter thing so small is fine.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Caitlin posted:

waaaaay better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5nX5BA2kAw

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Cloks posted:

All the game stores that I go to have closed so I can't add anything. Thanks for listing all of those though, I'll be sure to actually go to at least Warp Zone.

Do so, it's the best place I've been to since Slackers in the early oughts. If I lived here, I'd be broke. They also have a few candy cabs toward the back of the store.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Heran Bago posted:

Couldn't find an easy, quick, or batch way to resize these without it doing the bilenear filter thing so small is fine.

You want to use the "nearest neighbor" setting in Photoshop to avoid the blurry filters

It remembers this setting so make sure you don't forget and leave it set to this or when you're resizing actual photos you'll get some ugly jagged edges.

EDIT: Seeing so much love for MWIV here makes me happy. This is one of the best games of the 16 bit generation hands down, imo

d0s fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Feb 5, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Monster Boy publishers put out a presskit: http://press.fdg-entertainment.com/sheet.php?p=monster_boy

Ex-Westone guy Nishizawa is listed as "Consulting Game Designer, Director" but I imagine he's probably just giving feedback and not really doing a whole lot.

Here he is, showing off the cool model they used in some of the promo art for Wonder Boy in Monster World:

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Old, occasional poster in this thread.
I hope nobody minds me cross posting from the art threads, I've been doing paintings of videogame stuff.

Would be cool to see if other people are doing videogame arts projects, I remember someone doing a German (if memory serves correct) Sonic cover thing ages ago that was pretty cool.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Here he is, showing off the cool model they used in some of the promo art for Wonder Boy in Monster World:

Holy poo poo! That's awesome. I've always loved those models for some reason.
More of that stuff here: http://thevideogameartarchive.tumblr.com/

the_lion fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Feb 5, 2015

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

^^^^^ Those are real neat. Post any more you make.

d0s posted:

You want to use the "nearest neighbor" setting in Photoshop to avoid the blurry filters

It remembers this setting so make sure you don't forget and leave it set to this or when you're resizing actual photos you'll get some ugly jagged edges.

I know about nearest neighbor scaling, but I can't get photoshop to use it when doing batch resizing with File>Scripts>Image Processor. I remember irfanview had a batch resize in there somewhere but I can't remember if it can do nearest neighbor.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 5, 2015

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It can. Just disable resampling.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

ChaosArgate posted:

It can. Just disable resampling.

How's that? I can't find the option to disable resampling anywhere other than Image>Image size, and that doesn't help me when I want to do a batch. Google isn't really helping here either.

I'm on Photoshop CS6 or version 13, so it could be an option that's too new or too old. The batch processing doesn't have many bells or whistles.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

i think we all know richard d. james wrote the definitive pacman song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjEDX-2M7Qk

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Heran Bago posted:

How's that? I can't find the option to disable resampling anywhere other than Image>Image size, and that doesn't help me when I want to do a batch. Google isn't really helping here either.

I'm on Photoshop CS6 or version 13, so it could be an option that's too new or too old. The batch processing doesn't have many bells or whistles.

Try following this guide.

http://salp.wikia.com/wiki/Getting_Screenshots_the_Easy_Way

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

Heran Bago posted:

^^^^^ Those are real neat. Post any more you make.

I know about nearest neighbor scaling, but I can't get photoshop to use it when doing batch resizing with File>Scripts>Image Processor. I remember irfanview had a batch resize in there somewhere but I can't remember if it can do nearest neighbor.

Don't mess with Scripts. Set up an action in the Actions palette, which retains every setting including resampling options. You can create a bunch for specific file sizes and put them all in a folder, so if you're working for different systems (with different resolutions) or targeting different mediums (web, print, whatever) you'll have a one-button action predefined for each situation. You can also set up batches and process an entire directory with a specific action.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

The Kins posted:

This is great! I made a couple of adjustments to mine based on stuff in yours that I missed (among other little corrections and tweaks)

That's excellent, though you misspelled "convoluted."

d0s posted:

EDIT: Seeing so much love for MWIV here makes me happy. This is one of the best games of the 16 bit generation hands down, imo

It really is. It's neck-and-neck with Terranigma for the finest 16-bit game never released in North America. At least Sega made it up to us eventually. Nintendo hasn't even put Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia on the Virtual Console, much less Terranigma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KracKiwi
Mar 29, 2002

:byodood: well excuse me, princess!
:retrogames: :homebrew: :retrogames:

Finally got a "good" deal on my most sought after console:

The Panasonic Q!

On the right is a transformer that steps down voltage from 120V to 100V. Not sure if this is necessary but I'd rather play it safe.

I also had to pick up a US -> Europe power plug adapter. For some reason this unit only outputs step down Japanese voltage through a European socket.

This is what finally pushed me to snap up the auction though:

A region switch pre-installed under the console! I probably could have done it myself, but this one works (already tested) and saves me the trouble of messing around inside and potentially breaking something.

The only negavite is that I can't attach the (rare and expensive) Panasonic Q Game Boy Player. Not an issue though. I plan on using the Q as the central hub for a setup like this: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3505758

I already have 4 GameCubes and 4 Game Boy Players... now I just need a bigger place to live. Priorities!

• Locked thread