Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Angry Grimace posted:

I'd think a black splash isn't actually that out of the question given you can just run 4 Bloodstained Mire, one swamp in place of Mountains.

The lightest of Mardu splashes should include 1 swamp, 1 Urborg, and 4 Mires. You really can't be running more than 4 or 5 cards of your splash color with that, though. So, a playset of Crackling Doom and maybe a Murderous Cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

If you aren't playing any BB spells then I don't really see the need to run an Urborg in a light black splash.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It gives you the ability to use fetches and Mana Confluence for colourless mana pain-free, and since you wouldn't need to be fetching a second swamp it's a definite upgrade over 4x Mire 2x Swamp.

If we're being honest even ten sources is probably insufficient, I'd consider also swapping a plains for a one-of Caves of Koilos. That might be too much pain though - you could even consider a second Urborg and just accepting the risk of a (mostly) dead card.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Jabor posted:

It gives you the ability to use fetches and Mana Confluence for colourless mana pain-free, and since you wouldn't need to be fetching a second swamp it's a definite upgrade over 4x Mire 2x Swamp.

But it also lets your opponent do that without paying life, which is bad for a creature deck.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
edit: realized this is more suited to the eternal thread

Tricerapowerbottom fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 3, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
This is a safe place for bizarre deck ideas, right? Because I started thinking about what sort of Tiny Leaders deck I could from my collection and I came up with this monstrosity-
Deck: Thassa, God of the Sea (Tiny Leaders WIP)

//Lands
1 Flooded Strand
1 Ghost Quarter
13 Island
1 Oboro, Palace in the Clouds
1 Polluted Delta
1 Shelldock Isle

//Spells
1 Brain Freeze
1 Brainstorm
1 Codex Shredder
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Dream Twist
1 Elixir of Immortality
1 Flash of Insight
1 Grindclock
1 Increasing Confusion
1 Jace's Erasure
1 Memory Erosion
1 Merchant Scroll
1 Mind Sculpt
1 Oblivion Stone
1 Ponder
1 Quiet Contemplation
1 Reminisce
1 Sanity Grinding
1 Shriekhorn
1 Temple Bell
1 Thought Scour
1 Tome Scour
1 Visions of Beyond

//Creatures
1 Ambassador Laquatus
1 Drift of Phantasms
1 Glacial Wall
1 Hedron Crab
1 Jace's Phantasm
1 Riddlekeeper
1 Thassa, God of the Sea
1 Wall of Air
1 Wall of Frost

//Sideboard
1 Counterspell
1 Echoing Truth
1 Hurkyl's Recall
1 Monastery Siege
1 Propaganda
1 Remand
1 Spell Pierce
1 Spellskite
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Trickbind

Display deck statistics

Someone talk me out of throwing down the $10 I'd need to pick up what I don't already have. Or barring that, tell me what 2-mana creatures I can include because that part of my curve seems a little lacking.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

C-Euro posted:

Someone talk me out of throwing down the $10 I'd need to pick up what I don't already have. Or barring that, tell me what 2-mana creatures I can include because that part of my curve seems a little lacking.

Tidebinder, Augur of Bolas, Gilded Drake, Looter il-Kor, Phantasmal Image, Wall of Tears, Fog Bank Snapcaster, Azure Mage, there's a Soulbond: Tap: mill 2 creature but I'm not sure if it's even legalbin Tiny Leaders, let alone 2 CMC.

Other good walls: Guard Gomazoa, Psychic Membrane, Hover Barrier.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Okay, we've gone Mardu:

Creatures

4 Plains
4 Mountain
4 Bloodstained Mire
1 Swamp
4 Battlefield Forge
4 Mana Confluence
1 Caves of Koilos

4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Soulfire Grand Master
4 Seeker of the Way
3 Goblin Rabblemaster

4 Lightning Strike
4 Wild Slash
2 War Flare
3 Chained to the Rocks
4 Hordeling Outburst
4 Stoke the Flames
2 Raise the Alarm

SB:

4 Crackling Doom
3 Murderous Cut
3 Erase
2 Mardu Charm
3 Mardu Ascendancy

I almost want to jam a Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury in here for more amusement. War Flare is just such a random card you get free blowouts with it on the grounds nobody expects a random 4 mana common to blow them out. Reversing the Grand Masters and the Raise the Alarm might make sense too.

It's a legitimate question to ask "why not Jeskai" since there's literally no use for the black splash in the main. The answer for now is that Flooded Strand doesn't fetch Mountains for Chained to the Rocks. Brutal Hordechief is an interesting idea but for the fact that he has to live to combat, whereas War Flare you get some kind of value outside of "Bile Blight and all your dudes are the same type."

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 4, 2015

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Came up with two deck ideas that look kind of fun, and would like some input. I don't have a sideboard yet for either.

First is a Selesnya Devotion that I think could be interesting.

Deck: Selesnya Devotion

//Creatures
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Warden of the First Tree
4 Fleecemane Lion
3 Dromoka, the Eternal
3 Polukranos, World Eater
3 High Sentinels of Arashin
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Courser of Kruphix

//Spells
1 Ajani, Mentor of Heroes
2 Ajani Steadfast
2 Chord of Calling
2 Shamanic Revelation

//Land
8 Forest
2 Plains
4 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
2 Blossoming Sands
4 Temple of Plenty
4 Windswept Heath

Display deck statistics

The second deck is more for shits and giggles than anything, since its my first attempt at a Sage of Hours deck. Probably won't work, but has the added benefit of being a regular green beat down deck if even if the combo doesn't go off. With Sage on the field as a 1/1, Dromoka swings and bolsters 2 onto Sage. Ajani then puts 3 more counters on with his +1, and I do it all again next turn.

Deck: Bant Infinite Turns

//Creatures
4 Elvish Mystic
3 Dromoka, the Eternal
2 Prophet of Kruphix
3 Genesis Hydra
2 Temur Sabertooth
2 Torrent Elemental
4 Courser of Kruphix
4 Sylvan Caryatid
3 Polukranos, World Eater
4 Sage of Hours

//Spells
3 Ajani, Mentor of Heroes
2 Chord of Calling

//Land
7 Forest
2 Island
2 Plains
3 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
4 Temple of Plenty
4 Yavimaya Coast
2 Flooded Strand

Display deck statistics

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>

Mef989 posted:

The second deck is more for shits and giggles than anything, since its my first attempt at a Sage of Hours deck. Probably won't work, but has the added benefit of being a regular green beat down deck if even if the combo doesn't go off. With Sage on the field as a 1/1, Dromoka swings and bolsters 2 onto Sage. Ajani then puts 3 more counters on with his +1, and I do it all again next turn.

Deck: Bant Infinite Turns

Display deck statistics

I dont even care that this looks janky as hell and would probably never work. I would want this to go off one way or another.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Man_alive posted:

I dont even care that this looks janky as hell and would probably never work. I would want this to go off one way or another.

I was considering a Sage deck that was more of a control shell with Citadel Siege and Ajani.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't get the warden. 7 cmc 3/3 lifelink trample? That's a huge investment for something that can get bile blighted off the board. 13 cmc (!!!) 8/8?

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I don't get the warden. 7 cmc 3/3 lifelink trample? That's a huge investment for something that can get bile blighted off the board. 13 cmc (!!!) 8/8?

What you're missing is that nothing forces you to make that investment. And even then saying 7 cmc or 13 cmc is both not true and misleading. Paying in pieces at your leisure makes all the difference.

It's a 3/3 that can attack on T2 with reasonable effort. You can stop there for a while, it's completely fine. Then late game, if it's still around, it can threaten to be the biggest beater.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

So it seems like every mono colored deck has been attempted since Khans except monowhite. Is it just that much worse or is it being overlooked? I feel like between Monastery Mentor, its siege, Valorous Stance, and Lightform it could potentially work. A Nykthos with Ajani's Presence could probably protect most of your board from a wipe which is the main weakness of weenie aggro decks. Having Elspeth at the high end also gives it some endgame. Anyone who is better at the game have any thoughts?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

mr. mephistopheles posted:

So it seems like every mono colored deck has been attempted since Khans except monowhite. Is it just that much worse or is it being overlooked? I feel like between Monastery Mentor, its siege, Valorous Stance, and Lightform it could potentially work. A Nykthos with Ajani's Presence could probably protect most of your board from a wipe which is the main weakness of weenie aggro decks. Having Elspeth at the high end also gives it some endgame. Anyone who is better at the game have any thoughts?

It was attempted last year, it just wasn't very good.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I could use some experts opinions on my Mardu deck. It's been slowly cobbled together over the past few months. I realize the mana-base is subpar, but it's what my budget can get me right now. I've got a 4th Crackling Doom coming in the mail -- what should I cut for it? Should I be mainboarding the other two Kolaghans and siding the Stormbreaths instead?
Any insight is welcome!

Deck: Babby's First Mardu

//Lands
1 Bloodfell Caves
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Caves of Koilos
5 Mountain
3 Nomad Outpost
3 Plains
1 Scoured Barrens
3 Swamp
1 Temple of Malice
1 Temple of Silence
2 Temple of Triumph
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Wind-Scarred Crag

//Spells
2 Chained to the Rocks
3 Crackling Doom
3 Hordeling Outburst
3 Lightning Strike
2 Murderous Cut
1 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
3 Stoke the Flames
2 Valorous Stance

//Creatures
2 Brutal Hordechief
3 Butcher of the Horde
1 Flamewake Phoenix
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
1 Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury
3 Seeker of the Way
2 Stormbreath Dragon
1 Wingmate Roc

//Sideboard
3 Anger of the Gods
1 Banishing Light
1 End Hostilities
1 Erase
2 Glare of Heresy
2 Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury
2 Read the Bones
2 Suspension Field
1 Valorous Stance

Display deck statistics

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 5, 2015

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

It was attempted last year, it just wasn't very good.

Which is why I specifically mentioned a bunch of new cards that just came out a month ago and asked if they had the potential to change things.

E: I hope this doesn't have a dickish tone.

EE: And I get its probably still the same answer, but I can't even find people attempting a casual brew and I can find that for every other color since Fate.

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 5, 2015

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Which is why I specifically mentioned a bunch of new cards that just came out a month ago and asked if they had the potential to change things.

E: I hope this doesn't have a dickish tone.

EE: And I get its probably still the same answer, but I can't even find people attempting a casual brew and I can find that for every other color since Fate.

Yeah, I didn't mean to just say "well it was a bad deck before so it clearly is now too," though I do think the answer is the same. I guess the question is, how are you winning? And what are you doing in the early game? Mono-white basically has Spear, Brimaz, Heliod, Elspeth, and a bunch of stuff like Valorous Stance. Lightform is a 2/2 flying lifelinker for 3, which is pretty underwhelming if you don't hit a creature. Your only real mana sink is Heliod, who is a really good mana sink, but compared to something like Genesis Hydra is still pretty underwhelming.

Keep in mind I say this having not played a game of standard since M15 game day, so I'm not exactly an expert.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I can imagine a prowess/heroic build working like basically a worse version of UW heroic. That would probably be at least casually viable.

I played against a guy with a fairly decent monowhite warriors build before FRF too, so maybe that could work. Admittedly I think he was mainly picking up wins by crushing aggro with his maindeck Brimaz and copious lifegain.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

That Mono White deck from a couple months ago on SCG was pretty fun. You could try making one like that, but I preferred to add some G for Fleecemane Lion and Ajani.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The problem is that outside of certain archetypal decks (read: heroic), there aren't many quality mono-W cards. It really does just boil down to Brimaz, monastery Mentor, Valorous Stance, and Elspeth. Seeker is great, if you have the spells to support it, but with no card draw, you can't squeeze much out of it. And too many of the better white cards all sit at the 3-drop slot, so your curve fluctuates wildly in power. At least in the last standard, mono-W had Precinct Captain and Brave the Elements.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Here's what I'll be trying this friday: https://deckbox.org/sets/878022

I brought mono black aggro back out the week the new set released because I'd been playing control and wanted to switch up and I actually had really good results. I took some cues from that deck while throwing this one together so I'm excited to try it. Might try a second erebos in the side, that card was a blowout last week against abzan decks that had rhino, courser and wingmate roc. I don't like the temples in there but they're better than the alternative. I notice in your list you have windswept heaths to grab plains, but I don't think its a very good idea. It's primarily a black deck but you'll want to make sure you have access to both colors by the first couple turns so more duals are better.

Athreos is also a mixed results card. Late game everyone will just give you back your tiny guys while they play out rhinos. I tried it out in a deck before khans dropped and it just doesn't give the value I'd hoped it would in aggro decks. If you try it though let me know if you get better results than I did!

How do you feel about a singleton Rally the Ancestors? If you've got a Mogis Marauder and 3-4 creatures in your graveyard it''s easy to take 5 mana to bring them all back with haste and intimidate for a turn.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

How do you feel about a singleton Rally the Ancestors? If you've got a Mogis Marauder and 3-4 creatures in your graveyard it''s easy to take 5 mana to bring them all back with haste and intimidate for a turn.

Rally alone would cost 4-5 since you'd want to hit at least 2 cmc probably, plus 3 more for the marauder. Way too much mana for a 2 card nonbo. Rally is a completely dead card in hand without marauder too. If rally had haste attached it would be a sick card but as it stands it sucks.

I updated that list a few days ago after testing it a lot. I went 4-0 with it last FNM, then I went 2-2 the following sunday. Most of the games on sunday were close but I couldn't close a few out. Shadowspear was the most underperforming card, so a couple of those got cut. Woe-Reaper was one of the more surprising useful cards. T2 battle brawler into t3 chief of the edge is as good as it seems. I also didn't originally run 4 brutal hordechief and that was wrong. 90% of the time hordechief either drew a removal spell, or the opponent died the following turn. I'm also testing mardu strike leader for a bit- not a huge fan of that card but he's had a few uses and is pretty good against control. Usually though he doesn't do enough and dies too easy, he'd be a very good card if he had 3 health.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Rally alone would cost 4-5 since you'd want to hit at least 2 cmc probably, plus 3 more for the marauder. Way too much mana for a 2 card nonbo. Rally is a completely dead card in hand without marauder too. If rally had haste attached it would be a sick card but as it stands it sucks.

I updated that list a few days ago after testing it a lot. I went 4-0 with it last FNM, then I went 2-2 the following sunday. Most of the games on sunday were close but I couldn't close a few out. Shadowspear was the most underperforming card, so a couple of those got cut. Woe-Reaper was one of the more surprising useful cards. T2 battle brawler into t3 chief of the edge is as good as it seems. I also didn't originally run 4 brutal hordechief and that was wrong. 90% of the time hordechief either drew a removal spell, or the opponent died the following turn. I'm also testing mardu strike leader for a bit- not a huge fan of that card but he's had a few uses and is pretty good against control. Usually though he doesn't do enough and dies too easy, he'd be a very good card if he had 3 health.

I see.

What's your list look like now? I put a couple Shadowspears in mine because I noticed them in yours and wondered if I was missing something because they seemed like not starting at 2 power wasn't worth the ping since you'll be lucky to get one turn off of it in most cases before they get blocked by literally anything. Not surprised by Woe-reaper doing well. Still down on Athreos? I feel like he's solid wipe insurance if you get him out by turn 4-5. If you're at a point where they can shrug off the 3 life and let you have your creatures back then you're probably dead anyway.

I really feel like Strike Leader isn't fast enough for its cost/stats. I guess it could eat removal the turn before you cast Hordechief but I don't know if that's worth it.

Have you seen that Japanese player's deck that runs four Raiders' Spoils? (he also runs 4 Chief of the Scale, which I agree is terrible) How do you feel about that card? I feel like it's too expensive to run 4 of but if you cast it turn 4 it's an easy 2-3 extra damage and if even a single creature hits I think it's worth it.

Still running Sorin main? Is it really worth it?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

I see.

What's your list look like now? I put a couple Shadowspears in mine because I noticed them in yours and wondered if I was missing something because they seemed like not starting at 2 power wasn't worth the ping since you'll be lucky to get one turn off of it in most cases before they get blocked by literally anything. Not surprised by Woe-reaper doing well. Still down on Athreos? I feel like he's solid wipe insurance if you get him out by turn 4-5. If you're at a point where they can shrug off the 3 life and let you have your creatures back then you're probably dead anyway.

I really feel like Strike Leader isn't fast enough for its cost/stats. I guess it could eat removal the turn before you cast Hordechief but I don't know if that's worth it.

Have you seen that Japanese player's deck that runs four Raiders' Spoils? (he also runs 4 Chief of the Scale, which I agree is terrible) How do you feel about that card? I feel like it's too expensive to run 4 of but if you cast it turn 4 it's an easy 2-3 extra damage and if even a single creature hits I think it's worth it.

Still running Sorin main? Is it really worth it?

My list now is what's linked, I was trying 4 shadowspears and some other numbers before I adjusted it. If I cut anything else then the rest of the shadowspears will be the first thing to go, I just didn't want to cut off too much of my low end. I also agree about strike leader, that was my initial impression. I've never seen him stick around and leave more than one token behind, though a if he doesn't die and you drop a marauder the next turn you'll probably get more. I'm going to try it as a 1-of for a few games and if it does nothing then I won't bother. I also though the Sorin's did ok, I was never sad to see them but that's just because it's a good card all by itself.

I haven't seen the raiders spoils deck, link please. That card seems way too slow and not as powerful as Sorin which I would think occupies the same spot. I could be wrong though, it's harder to remove than Sorin and the deck lacks any card draw effects so it might actually be somewhat effective.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
What I'm tooling around with now:

Deck: Crater Temur Devotion

//Main
2 Elvish Mystic
3 Genesis Hydra
2 Hornet Queen
4 Sylvan Caryatid
3 Courser of Kruphix
4 Eidolon of Blossoms
3 Temur Ascendancy
2 Karametra's Acolyte
2 Heroes' Bane
2 Arbor Colossus
4 Frontier Bivouac
4 Yavimaya Coast
4 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
10 Forest
3 Temur Sabertooth
4 Voyaging Satyr
4 Crater's Claws

//Sideboard
3 Mistcutter Hydra
2 Aqueous Form
3 Chord of Calling

Display deck statistics

Even without temur'/crater hitting, can do fun stuff like cycle in/out a bunch of hornet queens, recast eidolons for draws, etc.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

My list now is what's linked, I was trying 4 shadowspears and some other numbers before I adjusted it. If I cut anything else then the rest of the shadowspears will be the first thing to go, I just didn't want to cut off too much of my low end. I also agree about strike leader, that was my initial impression. I've never seen him stick around and leave more than one token behind, though a if he doesn't die and you drop a marauder the next turn you'll probably get more. I'm going to try it as a 1-of for a few games and if it does nothing then I won't bother. I also though the Sorin's did ok, I was never sad to see them but that's just because it's a good card all by itself.

I haven't seen the raiders spoils deck, link please. That card seems way too slow and not as powerful as Sorin which I would think occupies the same spot. I could be wrong though, it's harder to remove than Sorin and the deck lacks any card draw effects so it might actually be somewhat effective.

Here's that Japanese deck.

http://www.mtgdecks.net/decks/view/173371

No idea what that event it placed first in was but it tied in points with a mono-red deck, Temur aggro and Jeskai tokens tied for second, and two green devotion decks and an Abzan midrange were considered "top 4" so it was playing in an actual competitive meta at least.

E: Another suggestion I just saw elsewhere - what do you think of maybe a Pain Seer or two to give the deck some draw power? The deck is really empty in the 2 spot and there are a lot worse plays than a turn 2 Seer into a turn 3 Mogis. Useful even if it gets chumped and no cards in the deck more than 4CMC.

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 6, 2015

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I have an ongoing Skype sealed(ish) tournament going with some friends, we started with 6 packs of Khans for the first round and just added 5 packs of Fate Reforged for the second round.

I'm rebuilding my Mardu deck I built (mostly because I pulled a Sorin) and was hoping to get some advice about what looked weak that I could improve.

My plan was to drop the two Ponyback Brigades and Alabaster Kirin to make room for some of the following: Alesha, Who Smiles at Death, Archfiend of Depravity, Citadel Siege, Mardu Shadowspear, Monastery Swiftspear, or maybe some Aven Skirmishers just to get some flyers into the mix. Also thinking I'd add another Bloodfell Caves and a Wind-Scarred Crag to get some more mana fix.

Deck: Khans & Reforged sealed Mardu

//Main
1 Defiant Strike
2 Disowned Ancestor
1 Ruthless Ripper
1 Bloodsoaked Champion
1 Mardu Hateblade
1 Debilitating Injury
1 Master of Pearls
1 Feat of Resistance
1 Chief of the Edge
2 Chief of the Scale
1 Deflecting Palm
1 Jeering Instigator
2 Mardu Hordechief
1 Mardu Charm
1 Zurgo Helmsmasher
1 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
1 Mardu Banner
1 Alabaster Kirin
2 Ponyback Brigade
6 Plains
7 Swamp
3 Mountain
1 Bloodfell Caves

Display deck statistics

Baldrash
Oct 26, 2005
I've been wanting to play something in Standard that's a little offbeat and weird, and ended up thinking about a RW Tokens/Heroic build based around Anax and Cymede.

Here's the rough outline I came up with:

Deck: RW Heroic Tokens

//Lands
4 Battlefield Forge
5 Mountain
7 Plains
4 Temple of Triumph
2 Wind-Scarred Crag

//Spells
3 Ajani's Presence
2 Coordinated Assault
4 Defiant Strike
4 Gods Willing
2 Hammer of Purphoros
4 Hordeling Outburst
2 Launch the Fleet
4 Raise the Alarm

//Creatures
2 Akroan Hoplite
4 Anax and Cymede
1 Monastery Mentor
3 Monastery Swiftspear
3 Seeker of the Way

Display deck statistics

I guess I could just play UW Heroic (I need to get Strands anyway), but I've been trying to brew something myself. Assuming I'm going to go through with it, are there any suggestions you guys would make?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Went 4-1 with Boss Sligh last night, and here is the updated version; I didn't see many Token decks, and despite running into some Mantis Riders I feel like the most common toughness I see is 2, so I'm going to try 4 x Wild Slash in the main, but keeping 3x Lightning Strike to 2x Scouring Sands in the sideboard.

I also swapped back to the maindeck Rabblemaster singleton after not seeing much of the Shaman the week before, though he'll go into the 'board with one less Break Through the Line.

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
I really want to make a UW Heroic deck (I currently use a W/R Heroic) but I am scared on how slow it will be compared to my W/R deck. Does anyone have any tips? To me it looks like the U/W Deck has more sustainability compared to the raw damage a W/R Heroic can do (Titan Strength anyone?).

I was currently looking at something similar to this but I am not sure.

1 Stubborn Denial
2 Seeker of the Way
4 Defiant Strike
2 Tranquil Cove
2 Feat of Resistance
4 Heliod's Pilgrim
1 Mana Confluence
4 Temple of Enlightenment
4 Hero Of Iroas
2 Ordeal of Heliod
4 Gods Willing
4 Ordeal of Thassa
4 Battlewise Hoplite
2 Aqueous Form
1 Triton Tactics
4 Favored Hoplite
4 Flooded Strand
9 Plains
2 Island

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

GoutPatrol posted:

Please post this in the deckbuilding thread because that sounds awesome.

Quoting from the main thread. So, the Mardu version of my Jeskai Legends deck. I haven't tested it at all, so this is still in development.

1 Tyramet, the Murder King
3 Anax and Cymede
4 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
1 King Macar, the Gold-Cursed
2 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
4 Zurgo Helmsmasher

3 Temur Battle Rage
4 Valorous Stance
4 Lightning Strike
4 Crackling Doom
1 Murderous Cut

4 Hero's Blade

3 Battlefield Forge
4 Bloodsoaked Mire
2 Mountain
1 Mana Confluence
4 Nomad Outpost
2 Temple of Silence
2 Temple of Triumph
3 Swamp
3 Caves of Koilos

Same basic concept, except you don't have the lifelink afforded to you by Jeskai Charm, the additional double strike capabilities of Shu Yun, or access to Dig Through Time. But, you get your trump out a turn earlier, and he swings immediately. If you get to untap with Zurgo, you win with a Temur Battle Rage. For longer games, being able to swing with a 5/5 King Macar can be pretty scary for your opponent if they don't have any immediate removal (or you have mana up for Valorous Stance). Kolaghan is a nice 8 damage out of nowhere if they don't have fliers. I'm tooling with putting a second one in just for how often you seem to be able to stall out with your opponent at <=7.

For a sideboard, my initial thoughts are "all the sweepers" since Zurgo cares not for your own puny boardwipes. (Note: End Hostilities would still destroy the sword attached to him, though.) Something to think about in super grindy matches since a Crux of Fate with Zurgo and/or Kolaghan out is a one-sided nuke.

I really need to work out the mana base, though. It is a little harder to get Brimaz out when your fetches don't get his mana source.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 8, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

bhsman posted:

Went 4-1 with Boss Sligh last night, and here is the updated version; I didn't see many Token decks, and despite running into some Mantis Riders I feel like the most common toughness I see is 2, so I'm going to try 4 x Wild Slash in the main, but keeping 3x Lightning Strike to 2x Scouring Sands in the sideboard.

I also swapped back to the maindeck Rabblemaster singleton after not seeing much of the Shaman the week before, though he'll go into the 'board with one less Break Through the Line.

How are you liking Rabblemaster, even as a singleton? I lucked my way into a trio of them before they got really valuable but currently they're sitting in a Modern deck not doing much. However I think a 3 mana creature that swings for 1 when you first play it is too slow.

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
This is strictly a work in progress and I have no idea how it might potentially preform. I currently run a W/R Heroic deck and I have a itch to try a U/W one. Any help on this would be great!

Also I know the main board doesn't have 60 cards yet, I have some listed in the Maybeboard that can be swapped in.

Deck: U/W Heroic (WIP)

//Main
4 Battlewise Hoplite
4 Favored Hoplite
4 Hero of Iroas
4 Ordeal of Thassa
4 Defiant Strike
4 Gods Willing
2 Feat of Resistance
4 Temple of Enlightenment
2 Tranquil Cove
4 Flooded Strand
2 Ordeal of Heliod
2 Aqueous Form
2 Stubborn Denial
7 Plains
3 Island
2 Triton Tactics
2 Ajani's Presence

//Sideboard
2 Ordeal of Heliod
2 Aqueous Form
4 Glare of Heresy
2 Erase
2 Mortal's Ardor
2 Valorous Stance
1 Disdainful Stroke

//Maybeboard
4 Monastery Mentor
1 Shu Yun, the Silent Tempest
4 Akroan Skyguard
2 Seeker of the Way
2 Treasure Cruise

Display deck statistics

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

AlternateNu posted:

Quoting from the main thread. So, the Mardu version of my Jeskai Legends deck. I haven't tested it at all, so this is still in development.

1 Tyramet, the Murder King
3 Anax and Cymede
4 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
1 King Macar, the Gold-Cursed
2 Tasigur, the Golden Fang
4 Zurgo Helmsmasher

3 Temur Battle Rage
4 Valorous Stance
4 Lightning Strike
4 Crackling Doom
1 Murderous Cut

4 Hero's Blade

3 Battlefield Forge
4 Bloodsoaked Mire
2 Mountain
1 Mana Confluence
4 Nomad Outpost
2 Temple of Silence
2 Temple of Triumph
3 Swamp
3 Caves of Koilos

Same basic concept, except you don't have the lifelink afforded to you by Jeskai Charm, the additional double strike capabilities of Shu Yun, or access to Dig Through Time. But, you get your trump out a turn earlier, and he swings immediately. If you get to untap with Zurgo, you win with a Temur Battle Rage. For longer games, being able to swing with a 5/5 King Macar can be pretty scary for your opponent if they don't have any immediate removal (or you have mana up for Valorous Stance). Kolaghan is a nice 8 damage out of nowhere if they don't have fliers. I'm tooling with putting a second one in just for how often you seem to be able to stall out with your opponent at <=7.

For a sideboard, my initial thoughts are "all the sweepers" since Zurgo cares not for your own puny boardwipes. (Note: End Hostilities would still destroy the sword attached to him, though.) Something to think about in super grindy matches since a Crux of Fate with Zurgo and/or Kolaghan out is a one-sided nuke.

I really need to work out the mana base, though. It is a little harder to get Brimaz out when your fetches don't get his mana source.

This is something I learned the hard way the other night, but you'll want to sideboard in Feat of Resistance or Gods Willing against Abzan on account of Utter End/Abzan Charm/Banishing Light. As for other suggestions, possibly run more Mountains in place of RW duals mainboard and then sideboard Chained to the Rocks (an idea shamelessly cribbed from a Mardu Midrange deck), and against control, I found Utter End and Palace Siege (to recur your legendaries, Zombie Zurgo go! or just durdle as all of a sudden the control player is on a clock with upside for you) Also, Zurgo can still get Bile Blighted in response to the Hero's Blade trigger, as well as Utter Ended any old time. Kolaghan, while not nearly as much of a bomb, is probably strictly better in most cases, so if you still have room, maybe enough of his dragon butt to swap out against Zurgo hate (and there WILL be Zurgo haters).

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

C-Euro posted:

How are you liking Rabblemaster, even as a singleton? I lucked my way into a trio of them before they got really valuable but currently they're sitting in a Modern deck not doing much. However I think a 3 mana creature that swings for 1 when you first play it is too slow.

I went 5-0 with him two weeks ago, though whenever I cast him I either had topdecked a Hammerhand that turn or held them together, casting them together on turn 4. Shaman was meant to fulfil a similar goal of aiding the 'go wide' strategy, while tacking on some haste himself (also he doesn't force creatures to attack that I don't want to attack). I may switch Shaman and Rabblemaster back and forth before next Friday to see how often I'm hitting 4 mana with Shaman.

As for Rabblemaster himself, I think he's fine as a one-of. The deck as I've built it no longer runs Frenzied Goblin so potentially losing them to a blocker on Turn 3 in exchange for Rabblemaster, and being able to drop him consistently on turn 3 may edge out Shaman's benefits. Like I said, I'll probably go back and forth on who gets the start and who warms the bench come Friday.

Lionguild
Sep 5, 2013
Only really played Kitchen Table previously but a LGS is hosting a gameday Standard Tournament next weekend that I want to take part in. So here I am trying to put together a standard deck. The idea is to put out strong efficient creatures that synergize with +1/+1 counters.

I'm completely open to any and all constructive criticism. Just looking to more or less keep the theme and colours. As for budget, I don't think there are any standard G or W cards that are out of my price range so feel free to suggest anything.

Deck List: Standard GW

//Land
12 Forest
12 Plains

//Creatures
4 Warden of the First Tree
4 Fleecemane Lion
2 Ainok Bond-Kin
2 Abzan Battle Priest
2 Tuskguard Captain
3 Sunblade Elf
2 Abzan Beastmaster

//Instants
3 Gods Willing
3 Devouring Light
3 Ranger's Guile

//Other
2 Brave the Sands
2 Spear of Heliod
2 Ajani, Mentor of Heroes
2 Citadel Siege

//Sideboard
4 Mistcutter Hydra
4 Reclamation Sage
4 Glare of Heresy
1 Devouring Light
1 Gods Willing
1 Ranger's Guile

Lionguild fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 9, 2015

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

MMD3 posted:

I have an ongoing Skype sealed(ish) tournament going with some friends, we started with 6 packs of Khans for the first round and just added 5 packs of Fate Reforged for the second round.

I'm rebuilding my Mardu deck I built (mostly because I pulled a Sorin) and was hoping to get some advice about what looked weak that I could improve.

My plan was to drop the two Ponyback Brigades and Alabaster Kirin to make room for some of the following: Alesha, Who Smiles at Death, Archfiend of Depravity, Citadel Siege, Mardu Shadowspear, Monastery Swiftspear, or maybe some Aven Skirmishers just to get some flyers into the mix. Also thinking I'd add another Bloodfell Caves and a Wind-Scarred Crag to get some more mana fix.

Deck: Khans & Reforged sealed Mardu

//Main
1 Defiant Strike
2 Disowned Ancestor
1 Ruthless Ripper
1 Bloodsoaked Champion
1 Mardu Hateblade
1 Debilitating Injury
1 Master of Pearls
1 Feat of Resistance
1 Chief of the Edge
2 Chief of the Scale
1 Deflecting Palm
1 Jeering Instigator
2 Mardu Hordechief
1 Mardu Charm
1 Zurgo Helmsmasher
1 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
1 Mardu Banner
1 Alabaster Kirin
2 Ponyback Brigade
6 Plains
7 Swamp
3 Mountain
1 Bloodfell Caves

Display deck statistics

Any opinions on this guys?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Alesha would be great in this deck, and so would Citadel Siege. I'm not very keen on the Shadowspear or the Aven Skirmisher: the former dies too easily, and the latter requires some real help to be good. Aven Skirmisher is best in a deck with a lot of +1/+1 counters.
Archfiend of Depravity is really up to you. I think its bark is worse than its bite, because your opponent still gets to keep their two best creatures, and the 3 toughness is easily dealt with.
And go nuts with those dual lands.

Ponyback Brigade is excellent with Alesha, so I would keep both. Alabaster Kirin is also pretty solid in Limited, and recastable via Alesha. My suggestion is to drop both Disowned Ancestors, as they're really more of a late game threat and an early blocker, and that's the opposite of what your deck is doing. Also drop the Mardu Banner -- you've probably got enough fixing for your deck, and banners are really just poor-man's fixing and very occasionally for 5-color morph decks.

So:
-2 Disowned Ancestor
-1 Mardu Banner

+1 Alesha, Who Smiles at Death
+1 Citadel Siege
+1 Monastery Swiftspear -OR- Archfiend of Depravity (to taste)

Dungeon Ecology fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I did more playtesting of the temur ascendency deck yesterday. Notes:

*general:
I've dropped two Voyaging Satyr from the list, and replaced them with Karametra's Acolyte. An acolyte replaces both a nyx and a satyr in one go, and given that Nyx is the only part of the combo that I can't find with Genesis Hydra, I think the tradeoff is worth it.

* U/W heroic:
this is an okay matchup for me. I'm now running two sideboard Kiora; if I can resolve one of those, or an Ugin, that's pretty much game over.

* U/B control:
as has been mentioned, this is a bad matchup for me, perhaps one of the worst. That said, I did manage to pull off a win in the only game I played... the temur deck plays an absolute assload of creatures, they can't all be countered, reclamation sage takes care of perilous vault, and getting a single one of my 4-5 power dudes to stick will generally win unless I lose the race to Ashiok.

• Locked thread