Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Arnie did an episode of the Nerdist podcast that was a really interesting listen, talking about his early days and how he made his plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MisterBibs posted:

One thing I've always heard said about Arnold is that unlike others like him, he was always cognizant of his limits as an actor. Sure, he sometimes screwed up and picked roles he shouldn't have, but generally knew what kind of roles he could pull off.

On the Terminator DVD special features (I assume on the blu-ray too), it's already known that initially Lance Henriksen was to be the Terminator and Arnold was going to be Kyle Reese. In one of the the interviews on the disk though, he doesn't say it outright, but he kinda sorta says that he actually signed on to play Kyle, then after going over the script more it was his own idea to be the Terminator instead. I found that really interesting for someone to step up and say that the villain role with much less surface complexity but lots of presence to it would be a better fit after he was already cast as the hero in Terminator and was just coming off Conan the Barbarian. Definitely a smart choice.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 3, 2015

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Wade Wilson posted:

He was surprisingly good in Sabotage, probably because he was the villain, but still.

I checked out of this movie at like ten minutes because it was so loving dumb, maybe I'll give it another go.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Arnold is a bad actor but he is fantastic as the Terminator anyway because he nailed everything the role required of him and he had an amazing presence in those movies. His performance was also probably enhanced a lot by the excellent director behind T1 and T2 since Arnie is not as good in T3

Also he has buttloads of natural charisma both on screen and in real life so people like to watch the guy anyway

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I checked out of this movie at like ten minutes because it was so loving dumb, maybe I'll give it another go.

Literally every other character being a meth addict made it a little bit painful, but the floundering Atlanta cops were hilarious.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Schwarzenegger is god and if you dont recognize this you'll be going straight to Lou Ferrigno's hell.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Zzulu posted:

His performance was also probably enhanced a lot by the excellent director behind T1 and T2 since Arnie is not as good in T3

T3 really does him a disservice. The script gives him a bunch of lines that his accent really mangles, and every shot he's in seems perfectly calibrated to make him look like he's a slightly more muscular average Joe.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Spakstik posted:

T3 really does him a disservice. The script gives him a bunch of lines that his accent really mangles

His :stare: expression in this bit kills me every time, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWePWdF0tXk

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Yeah, it suffers really badly from having a supporting cast of awful, awful characters that you desperately want to see bad things happen to.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeah, it suffers really badly from having a supporting cast of awful, awful characters that you desperately want to see bad things happen to.

Also I am tired of filmmakers assuming I give a poo poo about Sam Worthington

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Whoolighams posted:

I remember reading somewhere on the forums I think (hope it wasn't this thread) that Arnold is actually the most enjoyable part of Batman & Robin, because he is a veteran of action/campy/schlocky stuff. This meant he went all out on the cheesy acting while everyone else floundered. It's an interesting take and after seeing it again recently I actually agree. Pretending he's doing his lines to Adam West and Burt Ward makes it work.

I agree, but I still wonder what Patrick Stewart would have been like if he had gotten the role.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Zzulu posted:

Arnold is a bad actor but he is fantastic as the Terminator anyway because he nailed everything the role required of him and he had an amazing presence in those movies. His performance was also probably enhanced a lot by the excellent director behind T1 and T2 since Arnie is not as good in T3

Also he has buttloads of natural charisma both on screen and in real life so people like to watch the guy anyway

Yeah dogg, exactly. All the people upset that I said he's bad just, y'know, enjoy the guy. As do I.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Clipperton posted:

Did this guy just have like the best agent ever for a couple of years or what? He used to be everywhere. He was briefly up for Mad Max and it is to my utmost joy that he did not get it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Neo Rasa posted:

Did this guy just have like the best agent ever for a couple of years or what? He used to be everywhere. He was briefly up for Mad Max and it is to my utmost joy that he did not get it.

He was the second choice for Captain America if Evans didn't take the part.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sam Worthington just had the Colin Farrell effect where he was cast as the hunk protagonist in like 30 movies, most of them bad, in a five year period.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Why the hate for him? I kind of liked the guy.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

He's basically the generic white skinned brown haired video game protagonist made flesh. I don't remember him being particularly bad in anything, just... uninteresting.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Sam is not a great actor and always delivers some mediocre performances. Dude is just not very memorable

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

AlternateAccount posted:

I've got good news for you, if you watch the entire movie, then!

Clipperton posted:

The things that happen to him in this film more than make up for the bullshit we had to endure in his previous movies. gently caress anybody that thinks those stupid Greek hero movies he was in were any good because of him (they were only good for the Liam Neeson/Ralph Fiennes grudge matches and scenery chewing).

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Sam should change his name to Generico Mcwhitedude

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Hahaha thank you for making my point better than words ever could.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Funnily enough, IMO, Drake (uncharted) and Sheppard (mass effect), have more personality than Sam Worthington.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Vintersorg posted:

Funnily enough, IMO, Drake (uncharted) and Sheppard (mass effect), have more personality than Sam Worthington.

Shepard is interesting because he's I think the only VG character there modeled on a real person rather than created whole cloth to fit the White Dude Template

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FemShep was better anyway, Jennifer Hale supremacy forever.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't understand how people have strong feelings about Jennifer Hale, Nolan North, etc's work. They're just... competent, generic-sounding voice actors. They get a lot of work, but there's nothing remarkable about their performances.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

McSpanky posted:

FemShep was better anyway, Jennifer Hale supremacy forever.

Fem Shep sounded to "serious" or straightforward, for a lack of better term. Male Shep made it a goofy Star Trek styled over the top entertaining joke romp (especially the second).

Also, you're never supposed to make a generic white guy Shep, the fun is in making him as ridiculous as possible (combined with that voice), like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPcU39Yzavw

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I don't understand how people have strong feelings about Jennifer Hale, Nolan North, etc's work. They're just... competent, generic-sounding voice actors. They get a lot of work, but there's nothing remarkable about their performances.

Look at the MGS thread whenever Hayter's voice comes up even though Kiefer is theoretically a huge improvement skill-wise. I think most people aren't feeling strong about those people per se, they are feeling strong about the characters they love that those people bring to life. It doesn't necessarily even matter if they're good. See also the reaction to re-recording SH2 or REmake's voice acting, despite the widely-decried original versions.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You forgot that Sam Worthington actually voiced a video game character in COD: Black Ops 1-2.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

CelticPredator posted:

You forgot that Sam Worthington actually voiced a video game character in COD: Black Ops 1-2.

It's easier to forget he was in Black Ops because Gary Oldman was there too.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

CelticPredator posted:

:vince: Oh my.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Electromax posted:

Look at the MGS thread whenever Hayter's voice comes up even though Kiefer is theoretically a huge improvement skill-wise.

The whole Hayter thing has a lot less to do with people thinking he's a better actor than Sutherland and more to do with how it was kind of dick that Hayter's first notification of being dropped from the role (that he's been doing for 15 years and is the role he's famous for, mind) was when he caught the announcement of MGS5 and heard another actor voicing his character.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

mr. stefan posted:

The whole Hayter thing has a lot less to do with people thinking he's a better actor than Sutherland and more to do with how it was kind of dick that Hayter's first notification of being dropped from the role (that he's been doing for 15 years and is the role he's famous for, mind) was when he caught the announcement of MGS5 and heard another actor voicing his character.

I'm still in the camp that Sutherland is in fact NOT Snake and it will be revealed in the next game.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

mr. stefan posted:

And, also, like I say about Mass Effect up there, people finding the "worse" voice acting funnier, and helping to compartmentalize the experience as more humorous than the "better" voice acting.

There's a disconnect with the type of experience different people pull from different games. There's a difference between the good voice acting (and motion capture) enhancing something like The Last of Us and the silly voice acting in a MGS or Mass Effect enhancing games where you get into dance contests before having sex with a succubus and dying just for the hell of it, or wandering around in a cardboard box shooting people with guns that make people jettison body fluids.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

poonchasta posted:

It's easier to forget he was in Black Ops because Gary Oldman was there too.

As well as Ed Harris.

I always thought Wentworth Miller looked computer-generated until Worthington came on the scene.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Young Freud posted:

As well as Ed Harris.

I always thought Wentworth Miller looked computer-generated until Worthington came on the scene.

Wentworth Miller is, like, the opposite of "generic white template man" since he's a gay half-black man. Edit: He's possibly one of the best examples of "let's mix everything up," if that's what you're referring to with computer generated :)

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The funny thing is, I was about to cite a similar Shatner-like over-embellished act from Hale if you go deep renegade style in ME1 (not sure about the others, I only played the first). She deliciously hams it up for many of the options that are supposedly only taking the hard-edged "sacrificing for the greater good" approach and not meant to descend into wanton villainy, it was a wonderful surprise.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Darko posted:

Wentworth Miller is, like, the opposite of "generic white template man" since he's a gay half-black man. Edit: He's possibly one of the best examples of "let's mix everything up," if that's what you're referring to with computer generated :)

Miller's light-skinned enough that I was taken back when I found out that he was mixed-race. I just thought he tanned well. Regardless, you got my point, because Miller literally is that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Electromax posted:

Look at the MGS thread whenever Hayter's voice comes up even though Kiefer is theoretically a huge improvement skill-wise. I think most people aren't feeling strong about those people per se, they are feeling strong about the characters they love that those people bring to life. It doesn't necessarily even matter if they're good. See also the reaction to re-recording SH2 or REmake's voice acting, despite the widely-decried original versions.

I just wish more games had voice acting on the level of Bastion or Gone Home and fewer games had voice acting on the level of a dubbed anime from 92.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I wish they would bury the Terminator franchise forever so that nobody can make more bad movies with it.

I think the first two Terminator movies were a product of their time. People were afraid of both the sudden emergence of computers everywhere and also the looming threat of nuclear war. I remember both having Sarah Connor-esque nightmares and also seeing the C64 at the house of a friend and being amazed at so many technical possibilities for so little money. It just hit close to home, something which might be hard to follow with a different mindset so many years later. The time Terminator 3 rolled around those fears weren't in the heads of the people anymore, everyone used computers day-to-day and the cold war was over for good. It just seemed so far away. That being said, I liked three even though it was not nearly as good as the other two. Also Schwarzenegger was seriously too old for the role of the T-800 in 2003 and I have no idea what business he has reprising it in 2015.

And Salvation? Hell, I must have seen it two times and I don't even remember the plot. That movie was just so .. I wanna say dumb, but no, that doesn't cut it. Just unmemorable. Just so mediocre across the entire board which makes it loving terrible because that future war setting was exactly what I wanted to see since Terminator 2 and I just can't imagine how you can make such a setting so boring without setting this as your goal. I assume Genisys (and yes Browser spell checker, underline that word - it is the right thing to do) will just be like so many other movies nowadays - great special effects, forgettable albeit consistent plot and completely soulless.

• Locked thread