Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sprue
Feb 21, 2006

please send nudes :shittydog:
:petdog:

Carbon dioxide posted:

Now, if the game simply did this:
Catch a pokemon --> game either puts it in the party or if that's full into the box --> game checks whether the box is now full --> if so, it warns you and triggers a limited version of the pokecenter computer terminal --> terminal allows you to switch boxes and makes you save the game --> you can keep catching pokemon without having to run back to a pokecenter.

Why wouldn't that work?

I think for this specific example the problem is that there isn't enough room in the savefiles to save any but the very basic information of player name and various stats - it wouldn't work in the middle of a capture sequence. I remember being surprised as a kid when I played the first rpg to feature saving outside of limited save spots even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Sprue posted:

I think for this specific example the problem is that there isn't enough room in the savefiles to save any but the very basic information of player name and various stats - it wouldn't work in the middle of a capture sequence. I remember being surprised as a kid when I played the first rpg to feature saving outside of limited save spots even.

There was also an issue with the length of saving - if PC boxes were freely accessible, it would take much longer to save the game because the majority of a Pokemon save file is the species, move list, experience values, and individual values of each Pokemon the player owns. So it only saves specifics from the player's current PC box, and doesn't changes the data from other PC boxes. If the player starts a new game, any untouched PC boxes in the new game are simply marked as empty instead of actually erasing the data, similar to how Windows doesn't actually overwrite data with zeroes when you hit delete. Not only does a longer saving process slow the game down, there's also a vulnerability during the save - that TASbot video works by turning off the game while it's saving, which confuses the game as to what parts of the data are empty.

A long time ago, I was dicking around with an emulator wondering what would happen if I hard-reset Pokemon Red while saving. I figured out switching empty Pokemon slots around, and learned that I could use this behaviour to get a glitchy level 0 Pokemon with extremely high attack power. My first idea was to use this bug to get a powerful glitch Pokemon and win the game normally that way, then I posted about it on TASvideos, and some guys on there went to town on it. Now Pokemon is one of several games where the fastest route to the end involves figuring out the best way to execute arbitary code.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Chamale posted:

A long time ago, I was dicking around with an emulator wondering what would happen if I hard-reset Pokemon Red while saving. I figured out switching empty Pokemon slots around, and learned that I could use this behaviour to get a glitchy level 0 Pokemon with extremely high attack power. My first idea was to use this bug to get a powerful glitch Pokemon and win the game normally that way, then I posted about it on TASvideos, and some guys on there went to town on it. Now Pokemon is one of several games where the fastest route to the end involves figuring out the best way to execute arbitary code.

There was some trick to switching of the gameboy while saving that let you duplicate pokemon too. In Gold and Silver that extended to the items they were holding, so you could get a bunch of rare candies when you were sick of manually leveling up your pokemon.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Back when I got Pokémon Yellow I wanted to start with Charmander rather than wait to be given one later in the game. So I took advantage of the similar savestates of Red/Blue by starting a Red game, choosing Charmander, catching Pikachu in Viridian Forest, then dumping the save to a savegame backup cart I picked up at some gamestore, then loading that savegame into Yellow. The Pikachu would default to the one that follows you and I'd get to exit the forest with both Pikachu and Charmander. The only problem was upon first loading the save the gameworld would be corrupted until you transitioned screens, so you had to make sure you saved in front of an entrance.

Seems kind of stupid now, but back when I was a kid I was considered magic by the other kids for figuring out how to do that.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Esroc posted:

Seems kind of stupid now, but back when I was a kid I was considered magic by the other kids for figuring out how to do that.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clark

That's the funny thing about computers; if you have enough technical know how you can do all sorts of mind bending things with computers. It looks like sorcery to onlookers but those that know computers go "well you see..." The really great thing though is that it's still impressive no matter which side of that fence you happen to be on.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Esroc posted:

Back when I got Pokémon Yellow I wanted to start with Charmander rather than wait to be given one later in the game. So I took advantage of the similar savestates of Red/Blue by starting a Red game, choosing Charmander, catching Pikachu in Viridian Forest, then dumping the save to a savegame backup cart I picked up at some gamestore, then loading that savegame into Yellow. The Pikachu would default to the one that follows you and I'd get to exit the forest with both Pikachu and Charmander. The only problem was upon first loading the save the gameworld would be corrupted until you transitioned screens, so you had to make sure you saved in front of an entrance.

I guess since moving a save from one cart to another took third party hardware they never took steps to make sure that the save file it was loading wasn't from an older version of the game. It seems really weird that it would assume that pikachu you caught in blue was your starting pikachu though, since from what I recall pikachus traded from other games don't follow you around like the one you start with does. Presumably since no pikachus in red/blue actually have that flag it gets automatically set to true when it loads up the save? The only other method I can think of off hand to determine whether a pikachu is your starting pikachu is the same way it determined if a pokemon was a shiny in gold/silver/crystal, by having a specific set of IVs.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

RatHat posted:

Not so much a glitch as a weird quirk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S13kVzaDQYI

In GTA 5 when you get on a motorcycle you put on a helmet that comes from nowhere and when you get off your character takes it off and throws it in the ground. Well if you keep getting off and on a motorcycle you'll accumulate a pile of helmets and if you do it long enough you can even crash the game.

Note that this is the PS3/360 version of GTA 5 and it might not work on the PC and PS4/Xbone versions.

I recall managing something very similar with vice city and the pizza delivery mission - if you just stayed at the pickup point you could endlessly toss pizza boxes until they piled up under your moped and lifted it off the ground, jittering until the game could take no more and crashed.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Slime posted:

I guess since moving a save from one cart to another took third party hardware they never took steps to make sure that the save file it was loading wasn't from an older version of the game. It seems really weird that it would assume that pikachu you caught in blue was your starting pikachu though, since from what I recall pikachus traded from other games don't follow you around like the one you start with does. Presumably since no pikachus in red/blue actually have that flag it gets automatically set to true when it loads up the save? The only other method I can think of off hand to determine whether a pikachu is your starting pikachu is the same way it determined if a pokemon was a shiny in gold/silver/crystal, by having a specific set of IVs.

I don't know how it worked exactly. As a kid I always assumed it was just the "first" Pikachu you receive in the game would get the flag to mark it as the special Pikachu, and all subsequent Pikachu's wouldn't get it. So when you load up the save from Red/Blue with a single Pikachu the game assumes that's your first Pikachu and flags it.

EDIT: Actually, to make things more confusing I remember an instance where I lost my Pikachu in a cloning accident in Yellow, so I loaded that save into Red, ran to Viridian Forest and caught another one, then reloaded that save back into Yellow with the new Pikachu and it followed just like the starter. This makes me think that maybe since you can't catch a Pikachu in Yellow normally that any Pikachu that appears as "captured", which a given Pokémon such as a starter would as well, will register as the special Pikachu. Since all others legitimately obtained would be flagged as traded.

Esroc has a new favorite as of 15:14 on Feb 2, 2015

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I know it's basically worthless since it's Skyrim, but last night I was playing, had sided with the Imperials and was at the final quest of the Imperial questline. Things got hosed up real quick.

Spoilers for those who, like me, waited forever to try this game:

I was at the point where you are tasked with executing Ulfric. He was on the ground looking down and I was about to give him the killing blow when his head slowly rotated 180 degrees and looked straight up into my eyes. I looked back at him and his neck began to elongate and stretch. As I watched in horror, his pleading face slowly closed in on my own and then pushed me aside. His head, on an ever lengthening neck, began ascending to the ceiling of his throne room. As it reached its zenith, it pressed against the confines of the ceiling and jiggled around, looking much like the world's most hosed up sperm attempting to pierce its beloved egg. Once his head's prodding became too much for the physics engine to handle, his body began seizing all over the room. He flopped and rolled across the dining table, sending food and plates flying at the speed of sound in all directions. His neck was still impossibly long and continued soaring around the room until, in an instant, he stopped, somehow wedging his body in the geometry of a doorway. He just hung there in midair, his body contorted in an impossible way, his thirty foot neck hanging erect across the throne room, his face still pointing straight at me, begging me to put him out of his misery. I obliged, and his body snapped immediately back into proportion and flopped in typical ragdoll fashion in the doorway.

I wish I had thought to grab a screenshot, but I was sort of in shock at what had just happened.

What should have been a pretty poignant and powerful scene was rendered completely impotent by Bethesda Physics™.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

larchesdanrew posted:

I know it's basically worthless since it's Skyrim, but last night I was playing, had sided with the Imperials and was at the final quest of the Imperial questline. Things got hosed up real quick.

Spoilers for those who, like me, waited forever to try this game:

I was at the point where you are tasked with executing Ulfric. He was on the ground looking down and I was about to give him the killing blow when his head slowly rotated 180 degrees and looked straight up into my eyes. I looked back at him and his neck began to elongate and stretch. As I watched in horror, his pleading face slowly closed in on my own and then pushed me aside. His head, on an ever lengthening neck, began ascending to the ceiling of his throne room. As it reached its zenith, it pressed against the confines of the ceiling and jiggled around, looking much like the world's most hosed up sperm attempting to pierce its beloved egg. Once his head's prodding became too much for the physics engine to handle, his body began seizing all over the room. He flopped and rolled across the dining table, sending food and plates flying at the speed of sound in all directions. His neck was still impossibly long and continued soaring around the room until, in an instant, he stopped, somehow wedging his body in the geometry of a doorway. He just hung there in midair, his body contorted in an impossible way, his thirty foot neck hanging erect across the throne room, his face still pointing straight at me, begging me to put him out of his misery. I obliged, and his body snapped immediately back into proportion and flopped in typical ragdoll fashion in the doorway.

I wish I had thought to grab a screenshot, but I was sort of in shock at what had just happened.

What should have been a pretty poignant and powerful scene was rendered completely impotent by Bethesda Physics™.

Clearly Ulfric's rebellion is some kind of daedric plot. :stare:

But really it'll lose even more impact since Ulfric and Galmar's bodies pretty much always fail to despawn. So if you looted them completely, you're just going to have these two dead naked dudes laying around Windhelm's throne room forever. I usually get tired of looking at them eventually and carry them into a side room or something.

It's also kind of funny that he's basically the "final boss" of that quest line, but since he locks to the level you were when you first met him (which was level 1 of course) Ulfric is actually incredibly weak unless he manages to pop off a shout before you kill him in one hit. Not so much a glitch as a dumb quirk of the game's level-scaling.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Slime posted:

It seems really weird that it would assume that pikachu you caught in blue was your starting pikachu though, since from what I recall pikachus traded from other games don't follow you around like the one you start with does. Presumably since no pikachus in red/blue actually have that flag it gets automatically set to true when it loads up the save? The only other method I can think of off hand to determine whether a pikachu is your starting pikachu is the same way it determined if a pokemon was a shiny in gold/silver/crystal, by having a specific set of IVs.

It's much simpler than that, since you can't catch wild Pikachus in yellow, if you have any Pikachu in your party with original trainer IDs and name that match yours, it's treated as the starter Pikachu. (Also since you're only expected to have one Pikachu ever, the happiness stat is stored separately from the usual pokemon stats.)

First gen pokemon games really didn't have a lot of space for sanity checking on their saves.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I've been watching a Skyrim LP recently, and upon googling a quest the guy was doing out of curiosity, I found this:

quote:

I've got the best bug. Ir has been a long time since I did this quests, but I just noticed I still had nettlebane in my inventory. When I drop Nettlebane it turns into a blood dragon. If I do this outside it flies around and can be killed like any other dragon. If I put nettlebane in a weaponrack it turns into a blood dragon mounted vertically to the wall that clips through the ceiling and floor. If I drop it inside it falls through the floor and everyone around draws weapons and stares down. Unless I drop it on something elevated like a table, and then it appears in the room, and again can be slain like normal.

Bethesda :allears:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

m2pt5 posted:

original trainer IDs and name that match yours

Aren't trainer IDs generated randomly when you start a new game? The circumstance where someone trades you a pikachu with the same ID and trainer name, seems like a one-in-a-million chance that it's totally a reasonable sanity check.

Also, not really a glitch, but the talk of IDs reminds me of Phantasy Star Online, where you had a 'section ID' that determined what sorts of rare drops you saw - this wasn't exactly random, but based off your character name. I don't remember exactly how it worked, but there were sites where you could plug in names to see what section ID you would get.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Tracula posted:

I feel linking the LP of Lets horribly break Pokemon Blue is somewhat obligatory right now.

Sadly, the videos linked to on there are all gone. I was really excited to see Mew evolve a dozen times into random Pokemon. :derp:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

Aren't trainer IDs generated randomly when you start a new game? The circumstance where someone trades you a pikachu with the same ID and trainer name, seems like a one-in-a-million chance that it's totally a reasonable sanity check.

Also, not really a glitch, but the talk of IDs reminds me of Phantasy Star Online, where you had a 'section ID' that determined what sorts of rare drops you saw - this wasn't exactly random, but based off your character name. I don't remember exactly how it worked, but there were sites where you could plug in names to see what section ID you would get.

Yeah. It's a 5 digit number. There's also a second, hidden trainer ID, which is also a 5 digit number. Only if both IDs are the same, a pokemon is considered not traded. To be fair, I'm not sure if the hidden ID existed back in Pokemon Red.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The second secret ID number was added starting with the GBA games.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Sentient Data posted:

And to answer an earlier question that was kind of touched on but not really clearly, the total control type of glitch actually does exist in post-16-bit, they just don't use it to play games. Any time you see a console can be soft modded, it's using the same kind of takeover from software on that console. Wii uses a bug in the message board, PSP used a bug in the image viewer or games like Lumines, Xbox had a few games like Splinter Cell, and I'm sure ones were found for 360 and ps3 but I don't remember specifics. In those instances, the bugs are triggered using specifically-corrupted save data to trick the games into doing whatever, rather than relying on f direct player inputs

The Wii actually had one of these pretty much at launch, there was a bug in Twilight Princess that involved doing some convoluted poo poo in the tutorial area that let you execute arbitrary code on the console.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

President Ark posted:

The Wii actually had one of these pretty much at launch, there was a bug in Twilight Princess that involved doing some convoluted poo poo in the tutorial area that let you execute arbitrary code on the console.

Didn't it basically involve loading a save file with an absurdly long character name?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Lizard Wizard posted:

Didn't it basically involve loading a save file with an absurdly long character name?

Yes.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Oxyclean posted:

Yes, but the original post in the discussion was talking about starting a game in Blue, getting to where you could catch a Pikachu, then transferring the save to Yellow. Since it's the same save, it would have the same trainer ID, and it would read the caught Pikachu as "not traded", and thus the same as the starter. (Keeping track of where pokemon were first met wasn't added until gen 3, I think, and the secret ID wasn't added until then either. IVs and EVs have been around since the first games, though.)

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

m2pt5 posted:

It's much simpler than that, since you can't catch wild Pikachus in yellow, if you have any Pikachu in your party with original trainer IDs and name that match yours, it's treated as the starter Pikachu. (Also since you're only expected to have one Pikachu ever, the happiness stat is stored separately from the usual pokemon stats.)

First gen pokemon games really didn't have a lot of space for sanity checking on their saves.

I'm going to guess this only works for one Pikachu, so you can't end up with a 6-Pikachu trail following you everywhere.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Correct. The game only ever accounts for one owned pikachu being present.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Lizard Wizard posted:

The save file was edited so your horse's name was something to the tune of 500 characters long instead of 8. The game loads with you standing in front of someone who talks about your horse by name and it causes your Wii to poo poo itself.

There was another one that starts your game with the post man running toward you and into a chasm, falling endlessly until the game just pukes and runs the homebrew installer.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
That can be used to run the installer? Ha, I saw that in some random video a long time ago and didn't think it had any use beyond entertainment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urF4YtHfD90&t=241s

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Not really a glitch, or maybe it is, I was playing gta5 today, story mode. I switched from Franklin to Michael, he was in his house, while I was watching the cut scene, there was an explosion outside the house and there was a jumbo jet on top of the house across the street. I couldn't stop laughing. I took a picture but the SA app says it's too big :(

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

anotherblownsave posted:

I took a picture but the SA app says it's too big :(

Upload it to somewhere like Imgur and use the [timg] tag to include it? Unless it's a 50-meg GIF or something, anyway.

(Also, most people don't actually use the attachment system for images anymore.)

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Edit: linked instead
http://imgur.com/0wxLmyv

anotherblownsave has a new favorite as of 05:20 on Feb 3, 2015

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

[timg] dude, [timg]!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Way back on page 4, someone posted some screenshots of the Sims 2(?) going horribly wrong with pet generation:

This reminded me of a Sims 2 glitchfest/Let's Play I read years ago, in which the main character gets a cat that makes the renderer poo poo itself ("Clippy the Self-Intersecting Cat"). It features a line something like "and then, he wept into the rain, while behind him his cat turned inside-out".

Anyone else (a) remember reading this and (b) have any idea where it is? I've been looking for it without success.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

ToxicFrog posted:

Way back on page 4, someone posted some screenshots of the Sims 2(?) going horribly wrong with pet generation:

This reminded me of a Sims 2 glitchfest/Let's Play I read years ago, in which the main character gets a cat that makes the renderer poo poo itself ("Clippy the Self-Intersecting Cat"). It features a line something like "and then, he wept into the rain, while behind him his cat turned inside-out".

Anyone else (a) remember reading this and (b) have any idea where it is? I've been looking for it without success.

If it was on these forums, you're probably thinking of one of the LPs by Volcano Style. They fell into archives and weren't archived on baldurk's site, but it's probably one of these links.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2920217
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3157524

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

ToxicFrog posted:

I don't have the thread at hand but I know this video came from it though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04AMOpkc5qc

I also had made this too because it fit insanely well to me: http://www.youdubber.com/index.php?video=04AMOpkc5qc&video_start=0&audio=_r-LXpBp1jA&audio_start=0

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Sentient Data posted:

That can be used to run the installer? Ha, I saw that in some random video a long time ago and didn't think it had any use beyond entertainment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urF4YtHfD90&t=241s

Well, at least he died doing what he loved.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vaM1fcPrys

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Someone's copy of Smash is having some WEIRD problems.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQEOvZ3V3Bo

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I bet someone is willing to pay good money for Tomato Smash Bros. Dude needs to hype it up and ebay it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Unfortunately it's not as harmless as it looks since it makes pokeballs and assist trophies crash the game.

EDIT: It works fine in other 3DS' so it looks like it's not the game causing the problem.

RatHat has a new favorite as of 02:37 on Feb 5, 2015

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lizard Wizard posted:

gently caress the copy of Smash, what the hell is going on with that guy's camera?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Stuntman posted:

gently caress the copy of Smash, what the hell is going on with that guy's camera?

It's Youtube's anti-shake thing.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Fuckin' lost it when he picked up the tanuki leaf and it gave his character a tomato hat and tail. Oh my god :allears:

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Ratspeaker posted:

Fuckin' lost it when he picked up the tanuki leaf and it gave his character a tomato hat and tail. Oh my god :allears:

No the best part is when he has a tomato gun that shoots tiny tomato bullets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?