Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well.

She's not...wrong...

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

That's kind of a brutal way to get her to jump ship to Team ATOM.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Man, something about this season is just not landing with me at all. :shrug:

Paradise Lost
Feb 11, 2003

kill your enemy, drink his wine, and take his women
I'm still enjoying the character interactions, but yea the overall plot isn't really grabbing me

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Really? I thought the episode was pretty great.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

BrianWilly posted:

Really? I thought the episode was pretty great.

I thought it was great right up until Oliver showed up in Starling City. Something about his return just didn't feel as epic as it should've. Plus his little press conference felt weird,

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Everything to do with Olly's death and return has been handled terribly which is a pretty big thing to gently caress up. Embracing that it was a comic show is what got them over the hump the first season and turned Arrow into drat fine television. Why not take it all the way and dump his rear end in a Lazarus Pit or at least say that's where his tea water came from or something. I guess the door is left open for something still and I hope they take it.

Flash is full comics and I think it's probably the better show because of it.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
The one small detail I loved is if you squint REAL hard after the two factions charge each other on the street, you can see who is supposed to be Laurel/Canary being hoisted on a shoulder. Even from a distance, 'Sara Canary' remains the worst...

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Wow. Felicity telling off Oliver is about one of the only sensible things happening in this recent arc.
I really hope the show can sort of "reboot" itself next week and get a cleaner storyline happening because all these characters are over the place!
It's filled with moments that are good on their own, but how and when you get them is a mess and the show has always been way better
about this.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think people are getting way too hung up on something that has literally never been mentioned on the show.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
So Arrow returns to the city and Ollie makes it back home. I really hope Thea figures it the gently caress out.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
For a brief moment I was excited about Katana coming with Ollie and maybe suiting up. Then she didn't. :(

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

The "I was in jail" excuse is literally the worst. They don't have phones in jail? But I didn't really mind it 'cuz I feel like we're, like, an episode and a half away from Thea finding out the truth anyway.

I thought Malcolm's very slight redemption was actually interesting, and the fact that they're going for it like this kind of changes the direction for the show I'd had in my mind. I have a...really in-depth theory about what's going to happen by the end of this season, and I almost don't wanna throw it out there 'cuz I don't want to jinx it (also I am terrible at predicting shows), but Ollie and Malcolm actually being on the same side right now reinforces my feeling that (not actually a spoiler, just my own spec) Ra's is going to bring Tommy back to gently caress with them.

Of note: (actual spoilers here) episode 14 is called "The Return," which is supposedly about Slade Wilson's return, but which also features Colin Donnell as Tommy...supposedly in a flashback. Supposedly. :tinfoil:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

The synopsis for The Return is already out and it involves Island Oliver's return to Starling City under Waller's orders. It also deals with Thea and Oliver being stuck on the Island with Slade on the loose, as part of a Malcom Merlyn (TM) plan.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Right, that's what I'm referring to. If I was a sneaky TV writer and wanted to (again, spec not spoilers) bring back a dead character but not make it really obvious that's what I'm doing because the The Internet exists and episode summaries and guest stars are all over the web weeks in advance, I'd probably find a really innocuous, non-resurrection reason for the guest star to appear on the show that could be casually placed in the episode summaries and would seem like business as usual and not at all out of the ordinary, right? Riiiight?

'Course, I'm not a sneaky TV writer so hey what do I know?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Phylodox posted:

Is there anywhere in the world where the word "whore" isn't as a horrible, degrading, misogynistic put-down? Where he's from is immaterial, he's a douchebag worldwide.

Uh, actually, yes, there are a lot of places like that... Russia for instance. Much of Eastern Europe for another instance. The term is used as essentially the male equivalent of 'rear end in a top hat.' Given the cultural differences, the biggest transgression, IMO, wasn't him using the term in the first place, but standing by it in the face of the backlash it's received.

:ninja: edit: there you go, eastern Europe

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Habibi posted:

Uh, actually, yes, there are a lot of places like that... Russia for instance. Much of Eastern Europe for another instance. The term is used as essentially the male equivalent of 'rear end in a top hat.' Given the cultural differences, the biggest transgression, IMO, wasn't him using the term in the first place, but standing by it in the face of the backlash it's received.

:ninja: edit: there you go, eastern Europe

yeah its weird how he didnt listen to the people who told him he was from a country of cavemen

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

gently caress, stop talking about where it's acceptable to use the word whore before Deadpool closes the loving thread again you retards.

E: vvv

greatn posted:

I like that 1994 Merlyn looked exactly like 90s douchebag villain, I think he had Travolta from Face/Off's haircut.
I was thinking Howard Saint from Punisher. Still a Travolta villain though! :v:

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 5, 2015

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They've had Felicity telling every member of the team they're wrong about every decision far too much in the last few episodes. The writers need to back off a little.

I like that 1994 Merlyn looked exactly like 90s douchebag villain, I think he had Travolta from Face/Off's haircut.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Preview clearly showed Ollie showing Thea the Arrow Cave.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Scyantific posted:

gently caress, stop talking about where it's acceptable to use the word whore before Deadpool closes the loving thread again you retards.

Yeah, sorry - posted that before I scrolled down far enough to see his comment.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

greatn posted:

They've had Felicity telling every member of the team they're wrong about every decision far too much in the last few episodes. The writers need to back off a little.

HAH he totally did

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah, Felicity's been kinda..........ill-tempered...lately and it's been noticeable. But it's easy to understand why she's acting that way, and Emily Bett Rickards is one of the few cast members that can actually sell the patented CW histrionic dialogue, so it hasn't been that bad.

I like how Sin figured out Laurel wasn't Sara 'cuz Laurel was getting sad over a guy (Ted) and Sin was like "Lol nah Sara would never do that"

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I have no idea what the gently caress to think about this episode. At all.

It may have been great, it may have been terrible, it may be both at once.

The idea of redeeming Merlyn, using Brickwell as a great nemesis in Oliver's absence, Roy and Laurel having to step in.... all of that should and did work to varying degrees.

But the farther we get in this season, the less sense the whole structure makes. This episode ends in almost the exact same place as a few episodes ago - Oliver is reacting to a future threat from the League. it makes him totally passive in a lovely way.

While I liked Oliver actually giving a speech to Starling City (hah, take that Barry!), what the hell was with Merlyn not even flinching when Oliver returned? I want to put on the tinfoil hat and fanwank some new theory, but that was BIZARRE.

Also, I couldn't care less if Oliver survived death with herbs or lazarus pits or handwavey bullshit obscure DC comics object #325.

But not telling us anything, at all? Just "mystical asian lady does ANCIENT CHINESE SECRET!"? That does not fly. At all.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah, Felicity's been kinda..........ill-tempered...lately and it's been noticeable. But it's easy to understand why she's acting that way, and Emily Bett Rickards is one of the few cast members that can actually sell the patented CW histrionic dialogue, so it hasn't been that bad.

I like how Sin figured out Laurel wasn't Sara 'cuz Laurel was getting sad over a guy (Ted) and Sin was like "Lol nah Sara would never do that"

It's really amusing how some characters notice the tiniest discrepancies like Sin or Barry's Dad but some remain in the dark like with Iris or Lance.

I dunno I kinda agree with the complaints that Ollie's death and return were lackluster. Sure I'm disappointed about the lack of Lazarus Pits but really I'm disappointed that the entire thing is handled as if Ra's really sucks at his job and nope just kidding you were ok and healed up by Katana. I can't tell if they're lampshading it with their penicillin tea or if it's supposed to be a hint that there's some funny business surrounding it (Omega, Mirakuru, Magic Herbs, Lazarus extracts or something).

I'm gonna be upset if Felicity ends up on Team Atom permanently instead of Team Arrow or Team Flash though.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Yannick_B posted:

Wow. Felicity telling off Oliver is about one of the only sensible things happening in this recent arc.

And its also exactly what Katana said would happen. Beating Ra's will cost him whatever he holds most dear.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
Didn't Katana say something about rubbing ointment on his wounds twice a day? That could be lazarus oil....one can hope!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wah wah why isn't every one of your thoughts about my feelings?

Felicity should actually quit.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The truth is he never actually fought Ras Al Ghul, he was in an Oculus Rift the whole time.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
It was both that they didn't explain or even hint at how he was resurrected and also that they downplay the fact that he loving DIED and act like he was just mostly dead that bother me.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

It makes a weird sort of sense that Oliver loving dying doesn't make him less of a dick. But Felicity telling him off with a classic "What the hell hero?" speech would do it.

That's some decent storytelling.

But I really wish Sara had died for a better reason than this Rube Goldberg crazy convoluted plot schema they've got going.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

greatn posted:

I got more of a Swordfish or that mob boss he plays on that Punisher movie vibe from that haircut.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
We'll see if it sticks, at all, but I do like that just maybe, Felicity may be realizing how much she's putting Oliver up on a pedestal and how different the actual man is from the Super Justice Hero she fantasizes about. And that hoping that she'll Fix him is probably a really terrible idea. (although actually she's been doing a really good job of being a good influence and is probably one of the key reasons he decided to stop being a murderer IIRC. she shouldn't be his girlfriend, she should be his therapist)

Narcissus1916 posted:

But I really wish Sara had died for a better reason than this Rube Goldberg crazy convoluted plot schema they've got going.

I was thinking about the bad things Merlyn has done earlier tonight, and I honestly had to think for a minute to remember just why in the gently caress he even killed Sara in the first place. That was a pretty big fuckin' stretch.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also she's Japanese, not Chinese.

XboxPants posted:

We'll see if it sticks, at all, but I do like that just maybe, Felicity may be realizing how much she's putting Oliver up on a pedestal and how different the actual man is from the Super Justice Hero she fantasizes about. And that hoping that she'll Fix him is probably a really terrible idea. (although actually she's been doing a really good job of being a good influence and is probably one of the key reasons he decided to stop being a murderer IIRC. she shouldn't be his girlfriend, she should be his therapist)

It's probably just going to lead to some dumb triangle bullshit where she tries to mold Ray into that ideal.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 5, 2015

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

ded posted:

So Arrow returns to the city and Ollie makes it back home. I really hope Thea figures it the gently caress out.

:"...my god. LAUREL IS THE ARROW"

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Oroborus posted:

Didn't Katana say something about rubbing ointment on his wounds twice a day? That could be lazarus oil....one can hope!

"Hey woah I wasn't stabbed down ther- :stare: ...or was I..."

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

twistedmentat posted:

Preview clearly showed Ollie showing Thea the Arrow Cave.

This happened in the CTV preview that's up on spoilertv, but *not* the CW preview.

So go to spoilertv if you want to see an interesting subplot happening next week.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Aphrodite posted:

Also she's Japanese, not Chinese.

That makes it even worse, even more stereotype-y writing.

I'm watching the chronological Lost cut right now, and it's really funny seeing the Korean couple's backstory, where the wife is this Ultra-Rich daughter of a hotel magnate. But then when you get to the island - when the start of the show happens, and the flashbacks haven't developed her character yet, and the writers haven't decided on her backstory yet - suddenly she morphs into this hilarious Ancient Chinese Secret pastiche who's passing out Herbal Wisdom about using all the native plants to heal wounds and cure asthma and poo poo. When actually, she's loving Korean Paris Hilton and has no goddamn reason to have any idea about any of that other than "Is Asian".

Point is, to mainstream writers, every single Asian knows all the Ancient Lost Secrets of the herbal medicinal arts and they're lucky if their country of origin is even differentiated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Okay yeah sure, let's make the thing we were just complaining isn't even being explained into a racial thing with details we made up.

• Locked thread