Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It's worth pointing out that a lot of other RPGs out there have limited resources that refresh only after time but they don't link the refresh rates to a hard and fast measure of time, instead choosing to tie it to things like scenes, encounters, adventures, etc. D&D and its hardest core fans are super allergic to anything that smacks of "narrativism" but this is a problem that other games have solved (to varying degrees) by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

In 13th Age, which is basically a different evolution for D&D, what happens if you run out of stuff before a 'healup' is scheduled and need to pull back is you suffer a Campaign Loss, where something goes wrong. So if you needed to win a series of 4 encounters on one full set of resources over a narrative arc and you fail and have to retreat, Dark Lord Jeff gets the Cruller of Invulnerability or whatever and you'll have to deal with it in the next arc. This is entirely reasonable.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

AlphaDog posted:

This isn't directed at you, it's just a thing that comes up really often and I don't fully understand it.

The implication here is that if they need to take a rest and don't get to, the DM is being a dick. Which I agree with. But it means that you'd only ever give them a time constraint when it doesn't stop them from resting. Then why do you want rest-requiring mechanics at all?

Or more to the point, why do you want rest requiring mechanics that mean you have to take 8 hours (or even 1 hour) to refresh your poo poo? If it's balance then it shouldn't matter how long you rest, as long as everyone's taking the same minute (or week) to refresh. If it's realism, then that's super loving dumb.

In the "bandits stole my daughter come now!" scenario there are basically 3 options for the party:

1) Tell the bitch to gently caress off as you need a nap. I'm going to assume that the Bandits are long gone by the time you wake up, but saying that you could potentially track them to their bandit cave where they have already killed and raped the girl but you can still kill them.
2) Go "Don't worry m'lady, we'll save her!". You chase after the bandits, possibly catching them unaware if they don't know they were followed, and can maybe rescue the girl.
3) You can say "Woah chill your beans bitch" and spend an hour having something to eat, healing some wounds etc which counts as a short rest. I'd guess the girl may or may not be alive, but you can probably still track the bandits but they've probably got back to their cave and put people on guard duty and things.

If you spent 12 hours straight writing a scenario where the group fights some bandits and poo poo, what you don't do is spring it on them with a time constraint after they are already hosed. What you say instead is "They stole the daughter and they are taking her to the bandit camp, the bandit camp is 2 days walk away, so if you get there after 2 days she may already have been sold or killed". Then you get the group to be ambushed by some bandits as they track the original group, and then they are a little hurt and you're like "Well, if you take a long rest now the girl may be gone" and let the group decide what to do.

Ultimately the bandits could still kill the girl and they turn up to find her broken body. The group can still kill all the bandits and carry the girl's body back to her mum, at which point she shouts "WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU STOPPED FOR A SNOOZE?!?".

If you put the group in a position though where they choose between the entire party dying as they are already battered or avoiding content you've made you're asking for some arguments.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Kai Tave posted:

It's worth pointing out that a lot of other RPGs out there have limited resources that refresh only after time but they don't link the refresh rates to a hard and fast measure of time, instead choosing to tie it to things like scenes, encounters, adventures, etc. D&D and its hardest core fans are super allergic to anything that smacks of "narrativism" but this is a problem that other games have solved (to varying degrees) by now.

A "short rest" is "at least an hour" but there's nothing stopping the DM from saying "Yeah you guys are super pumped after that last fight and feel ready for anything, so I'm going to say you can rest for 30 minutes and it counts as a short rest".

I know that means the DM is basically retconning the rules, but if it's just like "Well I think the party needs a rest in order to not die, but I don't want them taking an hour about it" you can come up with something. Maybe there is a magical pool in the cave that refreshes them as if they had a short rest?

Maybe there's a guy who sells that water bottled up for them to take with them?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

IT BEGINS posted:

Healing word? The spell you can cast twice in six fights, that starts being completely ineffective as a heal at level 3? The one that takes up the slots you could be using to make actual interesting effects happen?

Edit: Not saying cleric is poo poo or anything. I'm playing one in a campaign now. It's just lovely that I every time I want to cast shield of faith I have to weight it against keeping that slot open for cure wounds. That doesn't seem like a good game mechanic.

If it keeps the rogue in my party up long enough for him to shank the monster I'm okay with the bonus heal.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
On the subject of rest mechanics, has anyone played the video game Darkest Dungeon? It gives you the ability to rest based on particular resources(Firewood and food) and gives you a particular amount of respite points to use for rest moves that recover sanity and health, or buff yourself up. I feel like in D&D you just rest and recover your magic powers based on whether it's a short or long rest, but there's an opportunity to add something to do for a lot of classes, like the ranger scouting ahead, Bard composing a song, the fighter maintaining gear and practicing some techniques, or a druid doing a rain dance. There's a good opportunity for the game to add some mechanical benefits to many classes for resting and help with the pacing of an action-heavy narrative, but it's not really doing anything with the premise.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Kitchner posted:

A "short rest" is "at least an hour" but there's nothing stopping the DM from saying "Yeah you guys are super pumped after that last fight and feel ready for anything, so I'm going to say you can rest for 30 minutes and it counts as a short rest".

I know that means the DM is basically retconning the rules, but if it's just like "Well I think the party needs a rest in order to not die, but I don't want them taking an hour about it" you can come up with something. Maybe there is a magical pool in the cave that refreshes them as if they had a short rest?

Wait, a SHORT rest in 5e is an hour?! Are you making GBS threads me? What is a long rest, a week at a nice relaxing spa?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

gently caress knows.

The idea that everything must happen in a tearing hurry is problematic comes about solely because not happening in a tearing hurry means that the sole mechanic that is supposed to balance spellcasters (i.e. they only get their rocks off a limited number of times per day, but the mundanes keep going longer) fails when the spellcasters can get their rocks off, then kip and get them off again. If rests and recharges were better designed and balanced, it wouldn't MATTER whether you had 3 hours or 3 months between now and Certain Doom™, because you wouldn't have to worry that one or the other side was getting screwed over by the rush or lack thereof.

So, this was solved(ish) in 4e by making all the classes work on the same power/refresh framework as well as the same hp, ac, defense, level etc framework that they always have. I guess the perceived same-ness was a problem for a lot of people. But what if you went in the opposite direction to achieve the same result?

Like, a fighter gets hp, ac, etc like normal. the get cut, beat up, stabbed a bit, bruised, winded, and they generally recover pretty quick because they're tough. This works like it always has.

A wizard gets a stack of wizard poo poo instead, which refreshes at the same time the mundane hp and stuff does, but works differently. For example, a single sword thrust kills a wizard so they have to rely on defensive spells which maybe work out to "you can be hit X times" and damage isn't important. You don't need personal AC, but your defensive spell starts with an AC which degrades (or upgrades) as you get hit more. When it's down, an enemy in range can kill you.

Clerics aren't as tough as fighters or even rogues. It's just that blows that should have killed them always seem to sort of just miss, or at least hit a less-vulnerable or less-painful place. They're blessed, you see (they have resist X/round depending on level). This only works a certain amount each day (a resist pool), then they can't resist any more. They can bestow some of their resist pool on other characters (like heals).

Rogues get a Luck mechanics that works half way between hp and the wizards defense spells. Hell, maybe if you re-did rogues as JOAT type dudes, they get to choose.

These things all refresh at the same time. It could be per-fight. You could keep it per-day. You could make it "every X encounters".

Prison Warden posted:

Wait, a SHORT rest in 5e is an hour?! Are you making GBS threads me? What is a long rest, a week at a nice relaxing spa?

This is an invalid complaint about the rules written in the book, since clearly a rest is as long as your DM says it is :suicide:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Trast posted:

If it keeps the rogue in my party up long enough for him to shank the monster I'm okay with the bonus heal.

The cleric spamming healing word allows you to turn the game into whack-a-mole with your party constantly running around with 1 hp and just dropping, having the cleric heal them up from 0 and then dropping again.

Prison Warden posted:

Yes, this is why people mock the system.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

kingcom posted:

The cleric spamming healing word allows you to turn the game into whack-a-mole with your party constantly running around with 1 hp and just dropping, having the cleric heal them up from 0 and then dropping again.

Yes, this is why people mock the system.

I don't spam my heals. I've only had to heal back to back on particularly bad situations and rolls.

Also I think people mock the system because they are incredibly groggy and not just for any flaws that may or may not exist in a game.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Prison Warden posted:

Yeah, short rest time is one of the things I've seen houseruled down pretty commonly. It sucks really hard. Long rest is still 8 hours.

AlphaDog posted:

Clerics aren't as tough as fighters or even rogues. It's just that blows that should have killed them always seem to sort of just miss, or at least hit a less-vulnerable or less-painful place. They're blessed, you see (they have resist X/round depending on level). This only works a certain amount each day (a resist pool), then they can't resist any more. They can bestow some of their resist pool on other characters (like heals).

Isn't this basically what Abjuration wizards do in 5e?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Kitchner posted:

A level 3 fighter can do all this poo poo though, it's just a pain because you have to get to level 3 to do it and apparently people don't like the idea that he can only use the abilities 4 times without stopping for an hour.

I think the problem is that to be an EK or a "Warlord" (by using Inspiring Leader), your Fighter becomes more susceptible to M.A.D.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Trast posted:

Also I think people mock the system because they are incredibly groggy and not just for any flaws that may or may not exist in a game.

:allears: Tell me more :allears:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's supposed to be part of the balance, to stop every five minute break as you walk between rooms being a short rest that recovers abilities. In practice the ones it punishes are the martial classes that need more help.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kitchner posted:

Sure but there's nothing stopping the DM from saying whatever they want. Like, that's not new DMing technology that was just invented, that's been around for a while now. What's actually in the game, the default that the game intends your GM to use, is clunky and has to constantly be worked around and finagled to serve its intended purpose which is to patch the power disparity between casters and noncasters. Which is what happens when you purposefully design an imbalanced game and then try to paper it over with something like this in the first place.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

AlphaDog posted:

:allears: Tell me more :allears:

I'm just trying to learn how to play 5e. I'm not looking for people to rail on the system or promote other games or anything else like that.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
There's currently not a lot to learn, and the game requires (invites?) houserules in so many areas that it's hard to give advice about any of it.

Even when we argue about arguing about it, the common thread is that everyone is playing some degree of a different game.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

Trast posted:

I'm just trying to learn how to play 5e. I'm not looking for people to rail on the system or promote other games or anything else like that.

We are trying to help people learn 5e, most pointedly by explaining it's significant flaws.

You'll find that many people here have not only followed Next through its long playtest period, but have also been playing it since release. There's a link to 6 finished adventures in the Game Room, with 4 more that are semi-active. They're not just looking into the PHB and declaring 'yep, it's poo poo!'.

If you believe that some of these complains are invalid or in bad faith, you have every right to point out how and why.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Trast posted:

By not caring if things are good, and not wanting to know about other games, you're pretty much set.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

homullus posted:

Wait, what? I think you're either wrong about "unoptimized" or "8 levels above us." At level 10 you're looking at, what, +15 to hit AC? And MM3 monster AC is level +14, so a monster 8 levels above you is AC 32. Your fairly unoptimized party is consistently handling encounters where you need to roll a 17+ to hit AC?

It's not that hard when your dm is a firm believer in 2 really hard fights over a normal adventuring day instead of 4 barely there ones.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

kingcom posted:

This is exactly how our christmas 10-hour session went. Two clerics and two paladins in a party meant that it was never worth healing past 1hp when you could just minor-action get people back up and fighting.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
I've thought about making a Warlord as a Eldritch Knight with Cleric spells, then I remembered the EKs are terrible.

Also, technically every slot can be Healing Word/Cure Wounds! Don't you dare cast anything but inefficient heals! Which aren't worth using! Seriously it annoys me how Mearls doesn't understand Healing Surges and how they helped so many issues: Made healing in combat viable, made a good stamina system for rests, and it gave Leaders/Healers a fixed number of heal spells per encounter(which are always something you can do on top of an attack, instead of the apparent 'trap' design of Cure Wounds.

xiw posted:

This is exactly how our christmas 10-hour session went. Two clerics and two paladins in a party meant that it was never worth healing past 1hp when you could just minor-action get people back up and fighting.

This was extra fun in the playtest since 'Spare the Dying' was a bonus action cantrip that gave 1 HP to the unconscious. Eternal Whack-a-mole.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Night10194 posted:

In 13th Age, which is basically a different evolution for D&D, what happens if you run out of stuff before a 'healup' is scheduled and need to pull back is you suffer a Campaign Loss, where something goes wrong. So if you needed to win a series of 4 encounters on one full set of resources over a narrative arc and you fail and have to retreat, Dark Lord Jeff gets the Cruller of Invulnerability or whatever and you'll have to deal with it in the next arc. This is entirely reasonable.

That's basically what happened - the party had to retreat to fantasy British isles, a few of them died and rerolled to meet there, and the rest of the campaign involved the knowledge that fantasy europe was basically a giant undead kingdom and going there was pretty much impossible. We ended up losing the campaign anyways because of a combination of players being stupid (including me) and then the DM ending up actually mega dicking us over at which point our characters pretty much suicided due to a RP/OOC disconnect.

But then again campaign loss isn't a huge deal for us, it's something that happens and while frustrating, makes campaign victories much much sweeter. Another campaign loss of 'stop the evil plague' failed and oops, the plague has now wiped out an entire country, which resulted in the next campaign's characters starting their adventuring as people fleeing from the plague.

The real point though is that all d&d "balance" regarding vancian spellcasting was predicated on time pressure. If your DM removes time pressure, your casters are going to be massively, massively better than your martials. If there's a ton of time pressure, the martials are going to have situations where it's just them killing off the enemy while the spellcasters are in large part useless.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 5, 2015

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

IT BEGINS posted:

We are trying to help people learn 5e, most pointedly by explaining it's significant flaws.

You'll find that many people here have not only followed Next through its long playtest period, but have also been playing it since release. There's a link to 6 finished adventures in the Game Room, with 4 more that are semi-active. They're not just looking into the PHB and declaring 'yep, it's poo poo!'.

If you believe that some of these complains are invalid or in bad faith, you have every right to point out how and why.

Reading finished official campaigns isn't an option since our DM would prefer we not read something that could be coming up. If there are custom 5e campaigns though that would be a good option for me to read through if they are pointed out.

I'm not saying that the complaints are invalid. It's just that some of you guys come off as really cranky about it. So far our group has had a lot of fun with the game and the DM is keeping things lively.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Kitchner posted:

I think the biggest problem is just that you can do all that at level 3 and then there's no more "ally boosting" abilities to get.

Well thats one of the problem, the other is that you cant do that stuff regularly enough for it to matter too much given how they are pretty weak abilities that don't scale in any remotely reasonable way.

Level + CHA bonus hp is pretty worthless and its not even something you can do in combat. Taking 10 minutes every day to add a pretty minor amount of hp sounds tempting early on but that quickly becomes completely irrelevant when enemies are thing that are bigger than kobolds or goblins and are clobbering you for 20+ damage an attack.

Sacrificing your reaction to give disadvantage to an opponent seems like a terrible trade off for your attack of op and a good fighting style but at least this remains as useful when you get it through higher levels.

Commanders Strike sucks, you have to sacrifice one of your attacks for someone else to attack so essentially all your doing is to throwing away your turn for someone else to get a +d8 on an attack roll.

Manoeuvring Strike is handy because it lets you throw in an extra d8 for your damage and your not losing anything from your turn plus someone else might get something out of it (given the ignore attacks of op only ever matters on the target your attacking this really only helps if your playing a character who is constantly running in the backfield to protect fragile characters). The movement itself is so insanely circumstantial though it doesnt really matter.

Rally gives you a lovely level 1 cure wounds: d8+(1 to 5), at least it doesn't eat your turn up so it can get used the same way healing word will be (actually do temp hp get people on 0 hp up?)

Commanders Strike at least gets better once you can multi attack (level 5) every turn since your not just dumping your turn for it and your doing a warlord thing but your still dropping one of your own attacks to perform a limited resource action which seems crazy. Manoeuvring Strike is just a damage boost that never really scales (the die increase never goes to multiple dice and instead is just insanely swingy but still not particularly useful. Rally suffers from all non-'Heal' healing in that its pretty useless but hey it lets you do the same thing a cleric does and help your party wack-a-mole in a fight so its probably the best option.

EDIT: If this stuff scaled properly like spells did then it wouldn't be a problem but your mostly capped at level 3 and you never really get any better.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 5, 2015

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Trast posted:

I'm not saying that the complaints are invalid. It's just that some of you guys come off as really cranky about it. So far our group has had a lot of fun with the game and the DM is keeping things lively.

Congrats! What other editions did you play?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

goatface posted:

Has someone done an analysis of how enemy HP scales with expected damage output from a party?

I did a rudimentary analysis:

What this tells us is that it'll take a character something like 13-14 rounds to kill an same-CR target all by itself, with the following caveats:

* the use of abilities and tactics should take this down further
* using actual monster design should take this down further by reducing the AC/HP of an enemy if you're not just using the raw numbers straight off the DMG"s Quick Monster Stats table
* a single same CR monster is supposed to be a challenge for four same level characters. Simply dividing 14 rounds by 4 gives us 3.5 rounds to kill, which is more reasonable

If you're looking for a more specific point I can try chewing on it, but on the surface it does seem like there's some method to the madness, it's just that like a lot of things in 5E it's a significant step backwards: monsters are big ol' sacks of HP, they won't be if you go through the monster creation steps but then the monster creation steps are maddeningly difficult, monster CR isn't a 1:1 relationship with adventurer level/party size which adds a bunch of steps to calculating encounter size/difficulty

ProfessorCirno posted:

RE: Warlords, you'll have to make one yourself. Mearls flat out hated the warlord. It was the only base class not to re-appear in his Essentials materials, and during the playtest he openly poo poo-talked about it. You are not going to see it in 5e.

To be fair there was an Essentials-ized Warlord called the Marshal in Dragon 397. It's just that the "Class Compendium" book for 4E was cancelled.

kingcom posted:

Commanders Strike sucks, you have to sacrifice one of your attacks for someone else to attack so essentially all your doing is to throwing away your turn for someone else to get a +d8 on an attack roll.

Manoeuvring Strike is handy because it lets you throw in an extra d8 for your damage and your not losing anything from your turn plus someone else might get something out of it (given the ignore attacks of op only ever matters on the target your attacking this really only helps if your playing a character who is constantly running in the backfield to protect fragile characters). The movement itself is so insanely circumstantial though it doesnt really matter.

Rally gives you a lovely level 1 cure wounds: d8+(1 to 5), at least it doesn't eat your turn up so it can get used the same way healing word will be (actually do temp hp get people on 0 hp up?)

Commanders Strike at least gets better once you can multi attack (level 5) every turn since your not just dumping your turn for it and your doing a warlord thing but your still dropping one of your own attacks to perform a limited resource action which seems crazy. Manoeuvring Strike is just a damage boost that never really scales (the die increase never goes to multiple dice and instead is just insanely swingy but still not particularly useful. Rally suffers from all non-'Heal' healing in that its pretty useless but hey it lets you do the same thing a cleric does and help your party wack-a-mole in a fight so its probably the best option.

EDIT: If this stuff scaled properly like spells did then it wouldn't be a problem but your mostly capped at level 3 and you never really get any better.

What is now the Battle Master's Commander's Strike was a Warlord's At-Will. It was still +stat modifier to the damage roll (INT instead of CHA in this case), but my god the Warlord could do that all day long.

Distracting Strike was another Warlord At-Will - Furious Smash, except it'd add the Warlord's CHA modifier to both the attack AND damage rolls of an ally that tried to attack the same target you just hit.

Maneuvering Attack was yet another Warlord At-Will - Wolf Pack Tactics.

Rally used to be Inspiring Word to let someone spend an entire Healing Surge plus a small bonus that topped out at +6d6 HP

I guess my point is that it's goddamn depressing that something that a character used to be able to do all the live long day was downgraded to 4/5/6 times a day.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 5, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

To be fair there was an Essentials-ized Warlord called the Marshal in Dragon 397. It's just that the "Class Compendium" book for 4E was cancelled.

That "Essentialized" Warlord was nothing but the PHB Warlord done up in Essentials trade dress though. Like, same powers, same class features, the only thing that was really any different was the layout. Compare this to the Fighter that got two new subclasses with different power structure, or the Skald which was a Bard with different sets of abilities and features including a brand new method for doling out HP recovery.

The Warlord conspicuously received no such attention at any point. It's maybe the class the exemplifies 4E the most, it was extremely popular in polls and frequently held up by fans of the game as one of the best classes and best new additions to D&D on the whole, and it's not exactly a huge leap of conclusions that its omission from Essentials, which was Mike Mearls' attempt at a quasi 4E rebranding, was in large part because Mearls dislikes them.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There was also the actual 3.5 Marshal, which was hot garbage even if the most fun I ever had playing D&D I had playing as a Marshal.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Oh man, remember Opening Shove? I miss Warlords so much.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Reminder that the actual official reason a "short rest" was changed to a full hour (it was 5 minutes at one point) was because "fighters were taking their abilities for granted."

They didn't try to claim anything else. Just flat out "fighters are enjoying their powers too often."

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

I guess my point is that it's goddamn depressing that something that a character used to be able to do all the live long day was downgraded to 4/5/6 times a day.

Well look at it this way; at least the houserule to fix it will be succinct.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Reminder that the actual official reason a "short rest" was changed to a full hour (it was 5 minutes at one point) was because "fighters were taking their abilities for granted."

They didn't try to claim anything else. Just flat out "fighters are enjoying their powers too often."

See, and I bet all the people who thought this was just fine didn't respond to surveys saying, "5 minute rests are just fine!"
Squeaky wheel gets the oil, and all that..

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 5, 2015

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Trast posted:

Reading finished official campaigns isn't an option since our DM would prefer we not read something that could be coming up. If there are custom 5e campaigns though that would be a good option for me to read through if they are pointed out.

The official campaigns suck sweaty kobold rear end, hope that helps.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

kingcom posted:

It's worse than that, because it does nothing on a miss and takes your bonus action, an attack, and an ally's Reaction; the bonus is to the ally's damage roll. And basically you should only ever grant it to a Rogue (if they can get Sneak Attack out of it), and you should only take this maneuver after you have 5 levels of Fighter, for the Extra Attack. Oh but wait, you gain additional Maneuvers at level 7, so 7 levels of Fighter.

Seems fair. :downsbravo:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ProfessorCirno posted:

Good lord, seriously? There just seems to be more and more stuff about Next that makes me regret running it out of principle.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
Capcom presents our finest game yet, Super Street Fighter: Next Edition. After an extensive beta, we're proud to announce the latest changes that we feel will make this game the best Street Fighter yet!

• Ryu, Chun-li, Guile, and E-Honda have been reworked. Their current moves are: Light Punch, Heavy Punch, and Forward. After lots of player feedback, we found that these characters had unrealistic, confusing moves. These have been removed in favor of a much simplified approach that rewards clever meta-play.
  • Sagat and M-Bison have been reworked. We have reintroduced their extended 15-move combos, as well as several insta-kills. After many player surveys, we found that these moves 'felt the most like Street Fighter', so we are happy to announce their return.
  • We've removed Ken, who was introduced in Street Fighter Tactics.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Trast posted:

I'm not saying that the complaints are invalid. It's just that some of you guys come off as really cranky about it.

So far our group has had a lot of fun with the game and the DM is keeping things lively.
Why we are cranky:

We are heavily invested in roleplaying games and D&D. Its one of our favorite modes of gaming, and we play it a lot. In short we care too much about our dumb elf nerdgames. But we care. So when its not as good as it can be, or when its worse than it used to be, we care.

A good group makes pretty much any game better; the same goes for a good DM. Even the best system won't work if the group is dysfunctional.

However, you are not having as much fun as you could be having. The game has flaws which mean that behind the scenes, either the players or the DM have to do extra work to make things fun and lively. Generally, its the DM who has to.

The reason the game has flaws is because conscious design decisions were taken to re-introduce systemic problems into a game that had been moving away from those problems. Here are three major examples:

How encounters are built.
How monsters/traps/challenges are built.
How skills work, specifically, binary pass/fail and no concrete skill mechanisms.

All three things above are hard to design. Instead of working on designing them, the D&D Next team led by lead designer Mike Mearls choose to move the hardest parts of the design into the hands of the DM.

What does that mean? It means the DM has to do more work. It means things are harder. Further, instructions on how to DM, how to make the calls, what implications different calls would have, was handwaved to "Just make your call to make it your D&D." Lazy. Lazy lazy lazy.

This game has a significant problem with reaching out to new players. Huge numbers of nerds have gotten into board games and RPGs. Yet D&D has steadily increased; it has not grown by the influx of new players. Why? Because Wizards relies on the previous generation of DMs to teach new DMs. Because the D&D Next products just don't do a good job of teaching DMs how to run the game. Because the D&D Next rules are really lazy, and instead of providing guidance or rules, instead entirely relies upon "an experienced DM making rulings."

So as players, we look at the game and say "How does X work?" and the answer is "Ask your DM."
So as DMs, we look at the game and say "How do I make X work?" and the answer is "Make it up yourself." Barely any guidance on how to make rulings is provided.

These are not good answers given that this is supposed to be the biggest and most professional RPG on the market.

Solid Jake
Oct 18, 2012

IT BEGINS posted:

Capcom presents our finest game yet, Super Street Fighter: Next Edition. After an extensive beta, we're proud to announce the latest changes that we feel will make this game the best Street Fighter yet!

• Ryu, Chun-li, Guile, and E-Honda have been reworked. Their current moves are: Light Punch, Heavy Punch, and Forward. After lots of player feedback, we found that these characters had unrealistic, confusing moves. These have been removed in favor of a much simplified approach that rewards clever meta-play.
  • Sagat and M-Bison have been reworked. We have reintroduced their extended 15-move combos, as well as several insta-kills. After many player surveys, we found that these moves 'felt the most like Street Fighter', so we are happy to announce their return.
  • We've removed Ken, who was introduced in Street Fighter Tactics.

Heavy Punch should really use meter. You can't just go around Heavy Punching all day.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Let's say we have a level 7 Battlemaster and a level 7 Wood Elf Rogue, both using longbows.

The Battlemaster hits with one attack; this allows him to use Distracting Strike:
    When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can [...] add [one] superiority die to the attack's damage roll. The next attack against the target by an attacker other than you has advantage[...]
So that's one die down. But wait! This can trigger Commander's Strike!
    When you take the Attack action on your turn, you can forego one of your attacks and use a bonus action [...] and expend one superiority die. [A friendly] creature can immediately use its reaction to make one weapon attack, adding the superiority die to the attack's damage roll.

Another die down. You've expended 2 dice, dealt 2d8+4 damage, and granted your Rogue friend an attack with Advantage™, triggering his Sneak Attack; if he hits, that's another 2d8+4d6+4 damage... To one target. Oh, and this assumes the Fighter hit with his first attack of the Attack action, otherwise this is all shot to hell.

At level 7, you'll have 5 superiority dice. This means on a hit, you can attempt this twice per rest.

Then, there's a level 7 wizard who decides to cast fireball. :allears:
3 times per day, he deals 8d6 fiery 20-foot-radius sphere AoE damage, DEX save for half.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

It's weird though, because some classes like Monk and Warlock seem like they were built around short rests being rarer. I wonder sometimes how much communication there was between the 5e designers.