Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

bartlebyshop posted:

This is the thing I really don't get. I'm 23 and I sure as hell don't know enough to handle an estate. Maybe there are 23 year olds out there who could. Why would you ever put someone with very little life/financial experience in charge of something like this?

Parents probably don't consider the possibility that unexpected large sums of money might have a psychological impact. When I was sixteen my parents took me aside and told me that they had recently written up their will, and should anything happen to them they wanted me to look after my eight year old brother. As in, they had written something specifically into their will so that I could adequately look after myself and my brother should anything happen to them. This is despite the fact I have two other siblings who in all honesty are probably more responsible than me. I still have no idea what was going through their heads when they did that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm weirdly flattered, but had the worst happened and some time between then and now I was given the responsibility of looking after my kid brother, I'm not sure I would have been able to do it - eighteen year old me would probably have taken whatever money was inherited and done something stupid with it. I've mentioned this to my parents, and they brushed it off by saying they were confident I'd just step up to the plate and not screw up too much. You'd think this issue would go away since my younger brother will be turning eighteen in a year or so, but nope, they have specifically said this bizarre expectation of theirs will continue well into adulthood. :psyduck:

Anyways, here's one from Whirlpool:

quote:

Morning,

Thought I would have a bit of fun with this..

Have a friend of a family member I was speaking to the other day... They mentioned their accountant had set up an SMSF for them. I asked what they used the funds to invest into....

They withdrew the funds and paid off their personal mortgage.... No they have not met preservation age and thought this was ok as "You can use an SMSF to invest into property these days"....

Obviously I explained to them they cannot do that and will need to rectify it asap (they used over 90% of their balance to do this so there is no remote argument of thinking it could be done through 'in house asset' etc).

Come audit time what do we think the repercussions will be? They genuinely think they can plead ignorance and it will be fine...
For those who aren't Australian, basically this guys friends withdrew money from their retirement accounts to pay off their mortgage. They were able to do this because they were trustees of their own superannuation scheme. However, because of the way it's set up it's considered embezzlement because the funds aren't being used for investments intended to fund these peoples retirements. The penalties are actually pretty severe - fines and a 47% tax on the sum withdrawn.

The superannuation forum of whirlpool has a surprising number of questions that go along the lines of this:
OP: Can I created a self-managed super fund and buy myself a house to live in?
Chorus of posters: NO
OP: How about this investment that will directly benefit me now?
Chorus of posters NO.
OP: How about...
Chorus of posters: :fuckoff:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Back to the Jubilee thing - so if I convert to Judaism, strangers will pay off my debt?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

EugeneJ posted:

Back to the Jubilee thing - so if I convert to Judaism, strangers will pay off my debt?

Jubilee only applies when the Jewish people live in the land of Israel according to their tribes. So, uh, if you go back in time about 2600 years, sure

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
Yeah the Jews aren't just gonna up and forgive the debts of us goyim

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

froglet posted:

For those who aren't Australian, basically this guys friends withdrew money from their retirement accounts to pay off their mortgage. They were able to do this because they were trustees of their own superannuation scheme. However, because of the way it's set up it's considered embezzlement because the funds aren't being used for investments intended to fund these peoples retirements. The penalties are actually pretty severe - fines and a 47% tax on the sum withdrawn.

The superannuation forum of whirlpool has a surprising number of questions that go along the lines of this:
OP: Can I created a self-managed super fund and buy myself a house to live in?
Chorus of posters: NO
OP: How about this investment that will directly benefit me now?
Chorus of posters NO.
OP: How about...
Chorus of posters: :fuckoff:

It's the Australia/New Zealand dream to own your own home freehold. Of course the home doesn't produce any income and if you want to use it for retirement you'd need to reverse mortgage it or sell it. A shame that they will have hosed the exponential growth of their retirement savings to eliminate a mortgage they'll have to get again to pay the 47% tax and potential court fees or fines.

Scenty
Feb 8, 2008

This isn't quite a story, but evidence of a lot of the thinking that gets people into trouble.

My husband and I got married in September, and we are planning our honeymoon for June. At the wedding when people asked, we tossed out that we were thinking of going to Disney for our honeymoon but hadn't decided yet. Well, for Christmas we got some considerable Disney gift cards that can be used towards park tickets, food, rooms at the hotels, etc. So we figure what the hell, lets go to Disney. We spent a few days researching options and came to the conclusion that staying at a Disney hotel was a complete and total ripoff. Who would pay $500+ a night when you can get a room at a hotel that has a view of the park for a fraction of the price? To drive this home, we can stay at a hotel with a view of the park that includes breakfast for 4 nights, fly there, AND take a VIP tour of universal studios (granted we get a discount through my husband's employer) all for LESS than just a 4 night stay at the Disney hotel. This is for Anaheim, CA location.

I went onto facebook thinking that maybe Disney's facebook page had some deals advertised or something (lol) and I noticed something rather twisted. Whenever people made a comment lamenting the high prices of a Disney hotel the responses were FULL of people saying things like, "you can't put a price on memories" "It's just all about priorities" and "Just use your tax return." How many of these people are going into assloads of debt to "make memories?" And why do the memories have to be of a certain hotel? Aren't the memories better made at the park itself? One person said they were using their taxes this year to take their kids to the Disney resort in Hawaii, now that they were old enough to appreciate it - their kids were 2 and 3 years old. You have to admit, Disney has some awesome marketing people if other parents will basically tell other parents that they must not love their children if they think a Disney hotel is too expensive.

Needless to say, we booked the reasonably priced hotel and will spend the gift cards on park tickets and food during the day.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Everything I hear about Disney makes me want to drop a nuke on the place because it's usually stories like that. That may just be me though. Some of my friends went recently with their 4 year old and had a kick rear end time.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I went to Disney for grad night and it was a complete nightmare. I would be happy if that place burned to the ground.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 4, 2015

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I genuinely don't loving understand the Disney thing. I was born in the mid-80s, I loved all those movies. I've never had a desire to go to Disneyland. I had to go for a school choir trip around age 14? And thought it was really lame and stupidly expensive. There aren't any cool exhibits and there aren't any decent rollercoasters/rides. It was a total waste.

My cousin who's probably pushing 40 and works as a diner waitress/manager for the last like, 20 years and is morbidly obese and lives with her mother with her ~13 year old kid go AT LEAST ONCE A YEAR to Disney world/land/cruise. And post about it constantly on Facebook. What the gently caress?!? It's so creepy. I'm sure I do and spend on all sorts of things that they find weird but WHAT APPEAL COULD IT POSSIBLY HAVE ON YOUR 30th visit? We live in Northern CA/Bay Area so it's not like it's far, but drat.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Also It's a Small World is really creepy.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
in my limited experience, Disney people are right up there with horse people as far as being beyond the realm of logic. I know of at least one family ( friend-of-a-friend ) that uprooted and moved to Florida in part because they loved going to Disneyworldlandtown so much.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Couldn't you sell the Disney gift cards on eBay or something

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 4, 2015

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I finally went to Disneyworld for the first time and basically spent like 6,000 as our vacation this year to make sure I didn't feel like I missed something or what ever. My husband loves Disney and grew up going to Disney land all the time.

Over all it was pretty meh. The food was mediocre, with the exception of Victoria and Alberts. All stuff we could get better on the west coast. The hotel view was nice. Got to watch fireworks every night and got to see the Mine Train catch on fire while we were there - lol.

Other people's children though. Jesus loving christ fat people on scooters and children that needed leashes everywhere. I couldn't imagine taking my own children there.

Basically it is in fact a gigantic loving rip off and if you live in a decent city - everything you can eat and do in that major city will be better than what Disney can offer. I'm glad to scratch it off my list and say done. never need to do it again.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I'd wanted to go to Disneyland from about 5 years old, got there when I was 13 (long ago). It was alright and enjoyed the day there. Of course Universal Studios and Knotts Berry Farm were pretty awesome with better rides. Go to Disneyland but go to all the other theme parks as well so you get your moneys worth.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Devian666 posted:

Of course Universal Studios and Knotts Berry Farm were pretty awesome with better rides. Go to Disneyland but go to all the other theme parks as well so you get your moneys worth.

QFT. I also grew up in Southern California, and this is true. I plan on going to the 60th anniversary of Disneyland this summer, but I will also be staying in a reasonably priced hotel because screw paying Disney hotel prices.

quote:

"you can't put a price on memories"

:catstare: :smith:

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I've never had the slightest interest in a trip to a Disney park. Outside of rush hour traffic, off the top of my head the three most obvious things I hate to do are: (1) wait in line, (2) try to do anything in a shopping mall, (3) be corralled or herded while on vacation. From the outside, Disneyland seems like it combines all of those into one expensive package and tops it off with misbehaved children and fatties on scooters.

I have a similar opinion about cruise ships.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I don't know what y'all are talking about. Smoking grass and wandering downtown Disney is a great frugal way to kill time before a show. The Lego store owns.

Bad with money: I bought my dad the VW Beetle Lego set and we unboxed it and put it together. Turns out the unopened sets have tripled in value.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

MrKatharsis posted:

I don't know what y'all are talking about. Smoking grass and wandering downtown Disney is a great frugal way to kill time before a show. The Lego store owns.

I had edibles inside Disneyland with the wife a few years ago. We spent 2.5 hours in the Mexican cantina in Frontierland unable to move. Bad with money.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

MrKatharsis posted:

Bad with money: I bought my dad the VW Beetle Lego set and we unboxed it and put it together. Turns out the unopened sets have tripled in value.

Nah, it's ok. You can't put a price on memories...

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2urze6/i_am_12k_behind_on_rent_and_need_serious_help/

quote:

I am $12K behind on rent and need serious help.

[...]

We make combined $60K before taxes, bring home $44,650 (so $3722/month)

We live in a pretty low cost area and we have the fortune of having $500/month rent for a 2 bedroom house on 7 acres. We've lived here 8 years. Our landlords are family friends and clearly very understanding.

I knew we were behind pretty bad, but I didn't know how bad it was. I received a letter from our landlords yesterday saying that we are $11,500 in arrears. I stood in the kitchen and considered suicide for a moment. It just seemed so hopeless. I have $14 in my bank account right now.

Whoops didn't realize I haven't paid 2 years of rent! :confused:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

quote:

For gas I plan to buy Walmart gift cards and go ahead and fill up at the beginning of the week so we don't get screwed on gas. And buy cartons of cigarettes for my husband because it's cheaper and those are our "necessities".

Cost-saving plan: buy gift cards and cartons of cigarettes.

Stolennosferatu
Jun 22, 2012

MrKatharsis posted:

The lego store is great.

The theater is also the best for big movies on opening night. No giant lines because who the gently caress goes to Disneyland to watch a movie (me, that's who )?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

You forgot the best bits.

quote:

I am a long time redditor but posting from a throwaway because this is so embarrassing. I try to live pretty frugally but somehow my husband and I have found ourselves in this situation.

quote:

I've never had a budget before. When I've tried, I've been completely overwhelmed by all the templates that include investments and escrow and 401Ks and all that. I need a very very basic place to start.

quote:

I've (finally) gotten pretty good at paying bills before they are due. Currently I pay half our bills with my check, half our bills with my other paycheck, and rent with my husband's (when we pay rent).

I try to live frugally but have no idea why we're in debt, I've never had a budget before, $14 in my bank account and haven't paid rent for two years. Now finally they've gotten sort of good at paying bills before they are due, except for the ones that are overdue.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Sounds like the landlord isn't so hot with money either

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
Loving Disney can be very good with money if you do it right.

If I ever have kids, I'll be happy to take them to Disneyland once in a while. At this rate, the company will have paid for it, and then some.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

pig slut lisa posted:

Sounds like the landlord isn't so hot with money either

Uhh, yeah. If someone wasn't paying me for their half of a $10 Netflix account, I would have brought it up before two years elapsed.

Dillbag posted:

I had edibles inside Disneyland with the wife a few years ago. We spent 2.5 hours in the Mexican cantina in Frontierland unable to move. Bad with money.

Yeah but that's the only place in the park with free refills on sodas. Good with money!

My favorite way to go is with a military hookup. Current or former get deals on tickets. I go with my wife's sister's hookup every few years. Last time, it was $100/person for a 3 day pass and the baby was small enough to be free.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

MrKatharsis posted:

That's not you being bad with money; it's the spergs paying that kind of money for MINT CONDITION LEGO(r) BLOCKS(tm) being bad at life.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
I dated a girl who worked at Disneyland, surrounded by all those children all day every day for eternity.

I had to break it off because the PTSD-style staring off into the distance and the constant wishing for death was just too much.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

My partner and I combined make maybe 2-300 more a month than they do, and pay $700 more a month in rent. Which is paid religiously on the 1st of the month.

If our rent dropped to $500 a month, we could double our monthly savings and finance a brand new car for one of us. gently caress, they could have the easiest financial life ever and they don't know it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

pathetic little tramp posted:

I dated a girl who worked at Disneyland, surrounded by all those children all day every day for eternity.

I had to break it off because the PTSD-style staring off into the distance and the constant wishing for death was just too much.

I went out with a girl who worked at the small world ride and claimed she still loved the song, I kind of purged that thought from my memory at the time but *shudder*.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Tigntink posted:

I finally went to Disneyworld for the first time and basically spent like 6,000 as our vacation this year to make sure I didn't feel like I missed something or what ever. My husband loves Disney and grew up going to Disney land all the time.

Over all it was pretty meh. The food was mediocre, with the exception of Victoria and Alberts. All stuff we could get better on the west coast. The hotel view was nice. Got to watch fireworks every night and got to see the Mine Train catch on fire while we were there - lol.

Other people's children though. Jesus loving christ fat people on scooters and children that needed leashes everywhere. I couldn't imagine taking my own children there.

Basically it is in fact a gigantic loving rip off and if you live in a decent city - everything you can eat and do in that major city will be better than what Disney can offer. I'm glad to scratch it off my list and say done. never need to do it again.
Wait, you went to Disneyworld with your husband and and no children?

Jesus, why? Go to a beach in Cozumel or something for $2,000.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
How the gently caress do you accrue 12k in back rent at $500 a month? Seriously, how the gently caress is this possible?

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

pathetic little tramp posted:

Cost-saving plan: buy gift cards and cartons of cigarettes.

I don't know about the States, but here in Australia we have a very serious tobacco excise. $AU 20+ for a packet of Marlboro Reds is not uncommon. And its fixed to continue going up into 2016.

So how friends of mine, living paycheck to paycheck, can justify smoking is beyond me. Smoking in Australia is Bad With Money.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

How the gently caress do you accrue 12k in back rent at $500 a month? Seriously, how the gently caress is this possible?

I'm going to guess they missed a month's rent here and there every year since they moved in and when they began paying rent again, they didn't pay off the balance. So if you miss every fourth payment...

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Hocus Pocus posted:

I don't know about the States, but here in Australia we have a very serious tobacco excise. $AU 20+ for a packet of Marlboro Reds is not uncommon. And its fixed to continue going up into 2016.

Per pack? Like, pack of 20 cigarettes? Holy poo poo. No, a pack of fancy smokes is about half that where I live.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

FrozenVent posted:

How did their landlord not bring eviction notices against them yet?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

slap me silly posted:

Per pack? Like, pack of 20 cigarettes? Holy poo poo. No, a pack of fancy smokes is about half that where I live.

It's to stop people smoking more than anything, plus the whole arguments of paying for their healthcare since we have UHC.

There's a bunch of other regulation around them too like they can't be advertised and they can't be visible in the shop, and I can't remeber if it went through or now, but they were all supposed to have plain grey packaging (with minimal regulated amounts of branding) covered in graphic anti smoking pictures.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Yep it went through. No branding allowed.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

Dillbag posted:

When I was 22, I spent 3 days there with my g/f and 2 of her stripper friends, all of whom were on MDMA the first two days and drunk the entire time. I was sober.

It was, in fact, the Happiest Place on Earth.

Good with money.

Feral Bueller fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

slap me silly posted:

One of my favourite things at a Canadian corner store was when Americans would balk at our $15+ per pack of cigarettes. "Well I'll go down the street to the other corner store. You're obviously ripping me off!" "Sir they're $2 more a pack there." We'll see about THAT!"

*comes back 10 minutes later*

• Locked thread