Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

The cinematography in this episode is really interesting as well. Dunno what the style is but it's definitely not the normal fare.

I think this is supposed to be the episode with a really long single take shot where everything goes wrong around Charlie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Very impressive for a set that doesn't really exist.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Why would you offer him a turkey burger?

e: yeah this is amazing.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

I'M PAINTING A SHIRT

e: You move the dumpster, you goddamn bitch!

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

Charlie Day is a god.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

You move the goddamn dumpster, you bitch :smuggo:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Alright, alright, alright!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Someone please gif sweaty, insane Dennis

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

There are no words. Incredible.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Oh my loving god. Perfection.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

That... might have been my favorite episode ever? :3:

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug

Brock Samson posted:

There are no words. Incredible.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That might even be a really great episode for introducing new folks to the show. 10 Seasons in and still loving gold. Never leave us, Sunny.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's hard to know where to begin with an episode like that, but for now I'll just say that I completely lost it when it cut to Frank playing the flute while covered in black paint.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Watching this week's episode now on DVR, this episode is loving fantastic. I love how Charlie, the guy who can't read, has somehow become the competent one in the gang.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
It felt like this episode was really influenced by the movie Birdman. Same kind of long take style. All we needed was Charlie imagining himself as some kind of super king of the rats.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

It felt like this episode was really influenced by the movie Birdman. Same kind of long take style. All we needed was Charlie imagining himself as some kind of super king of the rats.

Yup, definitely. The drum music in the background sealed it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Peacebone posted:

Yup, definitely. The drum music in the background sealed it.

poo poo, I wasn't even listening that close to the soundtrack with all the rapid-fire jokes. That seals it, then.

Derv1sh
May 24, 2005

Oh, come on, don’t leave your Uncle Teabag hanging
That was a brilliant 20 minutes of television. Best episode in years, maybe ever.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yup, I think that's a series high. Which is funny, because last week's was one of my least favorite. Also really enjoyed the stool payoff with Dee.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick
Okay, Sunny's back, bitches. I was a bit unimpressed by the first three episodes this season, especially compared to last season. But this... was a masterwork. This had literally everything that makes this show great.

I can't help but wonder if this episode was some kind of homage to, or at least somewhat inspired by, True Detective. Specifically, the last six minutes of the episode "Who Goes There." Obviously, this episode wasn't filmed in one long, unbroken tracking shot, but the similarities are there. Plus, Dennis kept repeating "Alright, alright, alright", clearly referencing Matthew McConaughey.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Exploder posted:

Okay, Sunny's back, bitches. I was a bit unimpressed by the first three episodes this season, especially compared to last season. But this... was a masterwork. This had literally everything that makes this show great.

I can't help but wonder if this episode was some kind of homage to, or at least somewhat inspired by, True Detective. Specifically, the last six minutes of the episode "Who Goes There." Obviously, this episode wasn't filmed in one long, unbroken tracking shot, but the similarities are there. Plus, Dennis kept repeating "Alright, alright, alright", clearly referencing Matthew McConaughey.

Naw, it was deffo a Birdman homage. Even had the jazz drums as the soundtrack.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Holy loving poo poo.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

So all you Birdman people can calm down http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/how-its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-made-its-unintended-birdman-homage

only room for one bird person in this thread

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Well I'll be damned.

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011
Oh my god, yes. This is my favorite episode. I feel like I am going to puke from laughing so hard.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I cannot loving believe ten years down the line Always Sunny has made one of its best episodes yet. This show could last for 20 years.

There's a reason Charlie Day is the one getting movie Hollywood movie roles, and this show could be his demo reel.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 5, 2015

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Baron von Eevl posted:

Well I'll be damned.

Honestly, after reading that I'm even more impressed. Looking like a great movie like that by coincidence isn't luck, it's skill.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

God daaaaaamn. That was the best extended tracking shot since True Detective.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Exploder posted:

I'm honestly surprised they're not calling out a True Detective homage. I swear I remember reviewers saying this episode "put True Detective to shame" before Birdman's style became widely known.

Also this episode was great. I went into it thinking it felt a little "off" after last week, and I had a ~worried about the show~ moment, but drat did it deliver.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Norwegian Rudo posted:

I took it as a joke/commentary about the state of mental health care, like the taxes conversation. If you don't know, shipping patients out to save money and basically make them somebody else's problem is something that really happens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuQzkt5a2EU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Amazing episode. But what the hell was happening with Dennis towards the end of the inspection?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

PittTheElder posted:

Amazing episode. But what the hell was happening with Dennis towards the end of the inspection?

I didn't get this, either. I am guessing he is sweating from running all over the place.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I suppose he is in terrible shape.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

I suppose he is in terrible shape.

been doing a lot of humming birds today

Not that it wasn't retroactively attributed but https://twitter.com/GlennHowerton/status/563212459977109504

BCBUDDHA
Jul 19, 2014
does anybody miss borderline retarded charlie??? this season he's pretty much the smartest one in the gang

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

BCBUDDHA posted:

does anybody miss borderline retarded charlie??? this season he's pretty much the smartest one in the gang

Yes. I prefer that one, to be honest.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

BCBUDDHA posted:

He's always been shockingly competent in certain contexts. This episode was entirely from his perspective and showed us he's the glue but the gang dismisses him completely, it makes you wonder how many other jams he's gotten them out of in the past when we weren't focusing on him.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BCBUDDHA posted:

To be fair, once the fragile mask the others wear that makes them seem sane has vanished Charlie is practically the most normal.

Frank: completely insane, has tons of guns, great businessman but hugely cruel
Dee: Consumed by her identity as a great actress/comedian, goes bugfuck crazy when she snaps
Dennis: Borderline personality disorder, sociopath, "tools! tools! I need my tools!"
Mac: Gay and super religious, completely obsessed with being a karate master

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCBUDDHA
Jul 19, 2014

robot roll call posted:

He's always been shockingly competent in certain contexts. This episode was entirely from his perspective and showed us he's the glue but the gang dismisses him completely, it makes you wonder how many other jams he's gotten them out of in the past when we weren't focusing on him.

i dont mind him being the glue, i just want him sniffing it too