  • Post
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Those were WORKING vacations unlike Obama who is chilling it poolside in Hawaii.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

muscles like this? posted:

Its part of this long running thing where they constantly disparage Obama for any kind of time off doing anything, ignoring that Bush spent something like half his presidency at his ranch in Texas.

:golf:

Keep in mind to that a big part of the cost is due to the infrastructure he requires in security, etc as President.

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.

Boywhiz88 posted:

:golf:

Keep in mind to that a big part of the cost is due to the infrastructure he requires in security, etc as President.

I hate that smiley. Bush didn't play golf much after 9/11. He said he shouldn't do it because it would look bad if I remember it correctly. Sure he made a gaffe but so has literally everyone else. The point should be: what does it matter if Obama plays golf to unwind? Not: BUT BUSH DID IT TOO!

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012
I thought basically every president of the last 120 years or so played golf, except FDR(for obvious reasons)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'd pay good money to watch some old video of FDR trying to golf and just getting progressively more pissed off.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pong Daddy posted:

I thought basically every president of the last 120 years or so played golf, except FDR(for obvious reasons)

A quick google suggests even he did it:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Flaskraven posted:

I hate that smiley. Bush didn't play golf much after 9/11. He said he shouldn't do it because it would look bad if I remember it correctly. Sure he made a gaffe but so has literally everyone else. The point should be: what does it matter if Obama plays golf to unwind? Not: BUT BUSH DID IT TOO!

The smiley is about all the lovely comics about Obama playing golf, and pointing out that the people making the argument that he golfs too much had no problem with Bush taking leisure time are hypocrites is as nuanced of a point as any sane person is going to make about something as utterly meaningless as the President's leisure time activities of all loving things. It's a distraction from any sort of meaningful political discussion, one that deserves all of two seconds of your focus to recognize and dismiss it as such. Hence the smiley.

In retrospect I probably should've made and bought an "ANY DAY NOW" smiley though. Iran Nuke comics aren't ever going to go away.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 4, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's a good smiley. Pointing out the selective criticism of Obama for doing the same thing every loving President does (but he's black! And on a golf course! And not as a caddy!) is way faster than some ridiculous debate about how much golf is "disrespectful of America" or whatever.

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.

VitalSigns posted:

It's a good smiley. Pointing out the selective criticism of Obama for doing the same thing every loving President does (but he's black! And on a golf course! And not as a caddy!) is way faster than some ridiculous debate about how much golf is "disrespectful of America" or whatever.

But the obvious response would be that Bush didn't even play that much golf. That's my problem with the smiley.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Flaskraven posted:

But the obvious response would be that Bush didn't even play that much golf. That's my problem with the smiley.

Obama doesn't play "that much" golf either, it's drastically overblown. The point is not "loving Bush played too much golf" it's that "presidents are permitted their leisure time, don't be a dick about it".

Bush took more vacation time than Obama did, though granted that's not a fair comparison because the President is still "at work" even when he's away, the point is Obama gets poo poo for it when Bush didn't, when neither should.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

gradenko_2000 posted:

A quick google suggests even he did it:

I could imagine him falling over afterwards like Uncle Joe getting out of bed for the first time in decades.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Obama doesn't play "that much" golf either, it's drastically overblown. The point is not "loving Bush played too much golf" it's that "presidents are permitted their leisure time, don't be a dick about it".

Bush took more vacation time than Obama did, though granted that's not a fair comparison because the President is still "at work" even when he's away, the point is Obama gets poo poo for it when Bush didn't, when neither should.

Also, I don't think Obama has been recorded by the media as being relatively flippant about the quagmire we were in in Iraq and then proceeded to tell them to "watch this drive." There's a lot about that quote that demonstrates a difference between those guys.

Edit: I'll note I just watched some Frontline episodes on Iraq and post-9/11 era stuff, and a lot of the Bush administration just pisses me off with how little they seemed to care about their actions or how they were perceived

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 4, 2015

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Flaskraven posted:

I hate that smiley. Bush didn't play golf much after 9/11. He said he shouldn't do it because it would look bad if I remember it correctly. Sure he made a gaffe but so has literally everyone else. The point should be: what does it matter if Obama plays golf to unwind? Not: BUT BUSH DID IT TOO!

That IS the point. It's "Bush did it too, and you assholes didn't give a poo poo. We know what it matters; it's because Obama isn't your guy and/or is black."

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Flaskraven posted:

But the obvious response would be that Bush didn't even play that much golf. That's my problem with the smiley.

The smiley is about Bush's cavalierly hilarious mixing of Iraq war failure denialism, chickenhawk rhetoric that killed thousands of people for no appreciable gain, and golf. It has nothing to do with presidential leisure time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCm9788Tb5g

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The White House team is like a mobile command center. They can more or less move with the president to wherever he's at. Be it at the White House itself, Bush's ranch in Texas, or Obama's vacation house in Hawaii - it doesn't really matter. Also, here's the real reason why everyone hates Obama golfing:

Reagan did it better :911:

Anyways, more content! Being facebook friends with my aunt has made me find out how racist she really is.

Britain First posted:

WESTERN LIBERAL WOMEN: PAY ATTENTION..PLEASE!

Muslim girls being lead off in chains to meet their new husbands. The leading experts in Islamic Law met recently at the 191st meeting of the Council of Islamic Ideology and declared as un-Islamic any laws attempting to establish a minimum age for girls to be married.

At the 192nd meeting the Council of Islamic Ideology went further and declared that women are un-Islamic and that their mere existence contradicted Sharia and the will of Allah. "Women by existing defied the laws of nature, and to protect Islam and the Sharia women should be forced to stop existing as soon as possible." Women who express their own will (most especially non-Muslim women) will be the first targeted for extermination.

http://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/2014/03/15/comment/coucil-of-islamic-ideology-declares-womens-existence-anti-islamic

PLEASE SHARE THIS FAR AND WIDE!

As far as I can tell, that website they linked is the only source on it besides right wing bloggers reblogging it. I can't find a snopes article on it (they only have the debunking of the "mass child weddings" in my search) but considering who posted it (Britain First), I can safely assume it's garbage. It's also terrifying to know that England has a group that at first glance, looks worse than the tea party. My mom replied to the comment with this: http://www.channel4.com/news/britain-first-far-right-anti-muslim-extremists-mosques she touches the poop better than I ever will :unsmith:

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

There's been a disturbing trend among Saudi Salafist imams about supporting slavery, but yeah women being declared "un-Islamic" is ten kind of horseshit.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

It definitely had nothing to do with his being a gazillion years old and basically dying from the second he took office!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Mellow Seas posted:

It definitely had nothing to do with his being a gazillion years old and basically dying from the second he took office!

Saint Reagan was and is a perpetual idol of ideal virility, built of twisted steel and sex appeal.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Mellow Seas posted:

It definitely had nothing to do with his being a gazillion years old and basically dying from the second he took office!

Is there any reading material that gives an insider view of the Reagan White House? I've always been curious about how much of Saint Ronald of Raygun's Presidency was actually him doing things and how much of it was Reagan's handlers manipulating a near-senile old B-movie celebrity like a marionette.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Pong Daddy posted:

I thought basically every president of the last 120 years or so played golf, except FDR(for obvious reasons)

Jimmy Carter didn't.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Jimmy Carter did however go into a nuclear reactor during a partial meltdown to help shut it down.

Carter - 1
Other Presidents - 0

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012

QwertyAsher posted:

Jimmy Carter didn't.

Huh, you're right. According to this golfing website only three presidents since Taft have not played golf: Herbert Hoover, Harry S. Truman, Jimmy Carter

Also interesting is the related link, which contains George W. Bush saying Obama needs to play golf

quote:

“I see our president criticized for playing golf, I don’t, I think he ought to play golf. I know what it’s like to be in the bubble and I know the pressures of the job. To be able to get outside and play golf with some of your pals is important for the president.
“It does give you an outlet. I think it is [a good release] and I think it’s good for the president to be out playing golf.”

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Pong Daddy posted:

I thought basically every president of the last 120 years or so played golf, except FDR(for obvious reasons)

https://screen.yahoo.com/tv-funhouse-x-presidents-osama-000000826.html

That was actually the joke behind the classic "Saturday TV Funhouse" cartoon "The X-Presidents".

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Popular Thug Drink posted:

The smiley is about Bush's cavalierly hilarious mixing of Iraq war failure denialism, chickenhawk rhetoric that killed thousands of people for no appreciable gain, and golf. It has nothing to do with presidential leisure time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCm9788Tb5g

For me it helps emphasize the "n-no YOU" attitude the Right has had ever since Obama came to their attention
"Boy that Bush make a lot of gaffes!" = "Teleprompters!!"
"Watch this drive" = "Obama golfs!!"
"So much time at his 'ranch'" = "Billions spent per second on vacations!"
"Look at the drunk Bush daughters" = "Look at Obama's daughter dressed like she's waiting for a spot at the bar!"
"Katrina!" = "OBAMA'S KATRINA!!"
"Iraq war" = "Iraq war"

They are so desperate to make mocking Bush impossible BECAUSE OBAMA DID IT.

Electric Sugar
May 24, 2004

over in the burnt yellow tent by the frozen tractor

I received a good one today about net neutrality. Fun with "grassroots", for sure.

Putin, Obama, "when the Government takes control", Government bureaucrats, Executive branch over-reach, "same type of people" responsible for VA hospitals/healthcare.gov/IRS, preserve the internet for our kids and grandkids, chilling censorship potential, give us money, BINGO!!

long rear end email posted:

Recipient,

I wanted to make sure you saw this note that Senator Ben Sasse (R-NE) just sent out on our behalf. It really highlights just how much the international community is affected by what we do in the US. We cannot lose the moral authority in the cause of freedom.

Thank you again for signing our petition. Would you be willing to help out more? Forwarding this email to a friend and asking them to sign the petition is a huge help. If you want to make a donation to help fund our efforts, we would greatly appreciate that as well.

Ethan Eilon
Protect Internet Freedom

From: Senator Ben Sasse
Date: Tues, Feb 3, 2015
Subject: Putin and Obama in charge of the Internet
Protect Internet Freedom

Dear Conservative,

"We now have a court order. We'll eradicate Twitter. I don't care what the international community says. Everyone will witness the power of the Turkish Republic," Prime Minister of Turkey, Tayyip Erdogan.

Turkey isn't alone. During the "Green Revolution" in 2009, Iran implemented a widespread crackdown on the Internet. China has censored information for years. And Russia made Facebook take down content that was critical of Putin last year.

These are just a few examples of what can happen when Government takes total control of the Internet. That's why I'm writing today. I need your help to keep the Internet open and free.

On November 10th, 2014, President Obama called on the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to re-classify the Internet as a public utility. He proposed dusting off a law that's nearly 80 years old (and about unrelated technology) and using it to give the Federal Government power to police the Internet.

I know many people do not love the big Internet providers (count me as one of them) and just want to make sure that consumers are not stuck with slow access speeds and bad service. That's a good goal.

But the solution is not to get Government in this space with expanded powers to police the Internet. Internet freedom is just too precious to hand Washington new regulatory powers over the Internet without oversight.

You see, if President Obama gets his wish, instead of the "light touch" approach that has allowed the Internet to flourish for years, Government bureaucrats would be put in charge of a new heavy-handed regulatory scheme.

Worst of all, Americans do not fully understand the implications of how far this could go because it's all happening so fast. Instead of Congress having a public debate out in the open where the American people can listen and Congress is held accountable, the Executive Branch is rushing to pre-empt Congress and jam this new regulation through while the American people are not really paying attention. (If this reminds you of Nancy Pelosi's "We have to pass the bill to find out what's in it" statement about ObamaCare a couple years ago, it should.)

Americans should be deeply concerned about the chilling effect a Government controlled Internet could have on speech. Recent actions taken by foreign governments should make every American nervous when thinking about a Government controlled Internet.

That's because the Internet is not just a more efficient way of engaging in commerce; it's the greatest threat to tyrannical Governments in the world today. Autocrats like Putin do not want a free and open Internet. They want a "small I" Internet that runs more like their own personal intranet that they can control. America must remain a global leader for a free and open Internet and continue to tell countries like Iran, Russia, and China "No" on regulating the Internet access of their people, and their right to free speech.

Both Republicans and Democrats agree that maintaining a free and open Internet is the goal. But more Government intervention will not help us reach that outcome. It will restrict the dynamism that has fueled the greatest revolution since Henry Ford invented the Model T, and choke political speech.

I believe this truly is a slippery slope scenario where years in the future, another Administration could use power over the Internet to censor speech and intimidate political opponents.

I know there will be those who try to dismiss this concern out of hand…But after the way our Government has operated over the last six years, does anyone really think we should just give Washington control over something as precious as the Internet?

Do we really want the same type of people who brought us the IRS scandal--where they targeted political opponents of the Administration--making decisions about political speech online?

Should the same type of people who were responsible for the utter failure of the Veterans Administration be in a decision-making position on the future of the Internet? Can the same group of "tech experts" responsible for the roll out of Healthcare.gov really be entrusted with maintaining transparency and access online?

It's up to us to preserve the Internet for our kids and grand kids as the one of the greatest forces for freedom the world has ever known. A Government-controlled Internet is not the right choice.

The FCC votes on February 26th. They need to hear from you today.

Please, join me today in calling on the Obama Administration and the FCC to keep the Internet open and free.

For Internet Freedom,

Sen. Ben Sasse
Republican--Nebraska

P.S. We don't have much time left to tell the FCC "NO" on taking over the Internet. You need to make your voice heard today if you want to keep the Internet open and free.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Haha, man I really am surprised on how they are able to spin it. "Keep the internet free by not regulating it as free!"

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

seiferguy posted:

As far as I can tell, that website they linked is the only source on it besides right wing bloggers reblogging it. I can't find a snopes article on it (they only have the debunking of the "mass child weddings" in my search) but considering who posted it (Britain First), I can safely assume it's garbage. It's also terrifying to know that England has a group that at first glance, looks worse than the tea party. My mom replied to the comment with this: http://www.channel4.com/news/britain-first-far-right-anti-muslim-extremists-mosques she touches the poop better than I ever will :unsmith:

The article linked there is from Khabaristan Today which is a satirical website. So yeah, it's bullshit.

Faustian Bargain

He proposed dusting off a law that's nearly 80 years old (and about unrelated technology)
Something something over 200 year old 2nd amendment justifies open carry of AR15 at Chipotle.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Two from the page of some hick "comedian." First was posted by someone on his page, and he replied with the second(a screenshot of one of his own posts?) for some reason.

Not even really sure what the point he was trying to make in the second one was other than "SHUT UP N!GGER!"

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

bango skank posted:

Two from the page of some hick "comedian." First was posted by someone on his page, and he replied with the second(a screenshot of one of his own posts?) for some reason.

Not even really sure what the point he was trying to make in the second one was other than "SHUT UP N!GGER!"

Good thing he didn't spell out the word; that might have been racist.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

bango skank posted:

Two from the page of some hick "comedian." First was posted by someone on his page, and he replied with the second(a screenshot of one of his own posts?) for some reason.

Not even really sure what the point he was trying to make in the second one was other than "SHUT UP N!GGER!"

Yes, can't trust them darkies with anything, they'll just stab each other in the back for a piece o' fried chicken.

7 white guys work together and one of them cheats the others? Just business
7 black guys work together and one of them cheats the others? It's their racial nature.

Maeks u tink.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
"Your son doesn't have ADD, he's just a bad kid." I heard this one from my father, who drives a schoolbus for a living. He also dropped "where were these disorders when I was growing up?" :psyduck:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Rick_Hunter posted:

Yes, can't trust them darkies with anything, they'll just stab each other in the back for a piece o' fried chicken.

7 white guys work together and one of them cheats the others? Just business
7 black guys work together and one of them cheats the others? It's their racial nature.

Maeks u tink.

Oh my god my dad literally said this the other day in all seriousness. Like the second line, without the first.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
How can anyone with critical thinking ability be fooled by this BS? Obama Blamed for US Medical Genocide

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Chimera-gui posted:

How can anyone with critical thinking ability be fooled by this BS? Obama Blamed for US Medical Genocide

Anyone who had that wouldn't bother with wnd as a news-source.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Vargatron posted:

Oh my god my dad literally said this the other day in all seriousness. Like the second line, without the first.

So are Ben Carson and Allen West some of the 'good' ones? No offense but I hope your dad dies cold and alone.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Saw this on my Facebook, not really crazy in the sense this thread usually sees, but...

http://theweek.com/speedreads/537386/sen-thom-tillis-employees-shouldnt-have-wash-hands-after-using-bathroom

quote:

Sen. Thom Tillis (R-N.C.) has identified a surprising place where he believes government regulation has gone too far: the bathroom.

On Monday, the freshman lawmaker related a conversation he had while in the state legislature about his attitude toward regulations requiring food service employees to wash their hands after using the bathroom.

"I don't have any problem with Starbucks if they choose to opt out of this policy as long as they post a sign that says 'we don't require our employees to wash their hands after they use the restroom,'" Tillis said. "The market will take care of that."

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Yup, nobody's posted that yet.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

ErIog posted:

Yup, nobody's posted that yet.

hosed up if tru tho.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Twelve by Pies posted:

Saw this on my Facebook, not really crazy in the sense this thread usually sees, but...

http://theweek.com/speedreads/537386/sen-thom-tillis-employees-shouldnt-have-wash-hands-after-using-bathroom

So instead of a government mandate to have employees wash their hands after using the bathroom, you'll instead have a ... government mandate for a business to up signs indicating whether or not their employees are obliged to wash their hands after using the bathroom?

Well no, of course not, that's still government overreach, so instead the layman will just have to figure it out for their themselves whether any given establishment they're walking into practices safe food preparation :psyduck: I suppose he'll be able to figure it out via cultural osmosis.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4