Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

IRQ posted:

Or scrap keep it 100, which continues to be a total waste of time.

The thread title was chosen before the Nightly Show started airing right? So it just turned out to be incredibly prescient...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think I've said it already but I keep getting more and more convinced that TNS needs to ditch the fourth comedy guest. They rarely add anything to the panel and they frequently bring the conversation wildly off topic or into just pointless silliness. I assume that's their purpose so that Wilmore can go to them to lighten up a panel that is getting too heavy or dry (I think you can see that in like the sniper episode) but I don't think it's worth it. It's an 8 minute segment so it doesn't really need to be saved. And Wilmore seems capable of doing it himself but then you see an episode like last night where Wilmore just had no control over his comedian.

So ditch the comedian. No more distractions and more time for the other three to talk. I think that would go a long way.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm not familiar with Bill Maher's show, but is that just one long panel or what? Because at this point they have four guests on the show, why not just cut the opening comedy bits and make the panel the whole show, that seems like a better use of everyone's time.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm not familiar with Bill Maher's show, but is that just one long panel or what? Because at this point they have four guests on the show, why not just cut the opening comedy bits and make the panel the whole show, that seems like a better use of everyone's time.

Nah, it's more "opening monologue for five minutes, satellite interview for five minutes, panel discussion for a half hour, new rules/closing monologue for five to ten minutes, credits and HBO commercials for the rest of it." I'd like the show to mostly be the panel too, but I also like having a bit of a monologue just to get into the mindset of the topic they're discussing. Also, his fake apologies from yesterday were awesome.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Wait, did Huckabee sleep with another man's slave?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

jerichojx posted:

Wait, did Huckabee sleep with another man's slave?

Not to my knowledge, but I think Jon's point was the Old Testament's pretty pro-slave.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Hakkesshu posted:

It's roughly the same format, just that Bill Maher's attempts at "jokes" are far, far worse.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
We check in with the state of Alabama, and since it isn't football season, you KNOW it isn't good!

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I don't think I've ever liked Lance Bass...until now.

Ibsen
Jun 20, 2006
I am Not.
This show is quickly making the mistake (which I think one of Jon Oliver's shows covered) of elevating both positions to equal ones in these public opinion arguments

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Ibsen posted:

This show is quickly making the mistake (which I think one of Jon Oliver's shows covered) of elevating both positions to equal ones in these public opinion arguments

Well, it is four-to-one. Also, if they didn't have anyone on who supported the opposing side it'd just be five people agreeing with each other.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I wouldn't say it elevated both positions to equal, I'd say it started them at an equal point. After that, the anti-gay guy was perfectly willing and capable of totally undermining himself.

Ibsen
Jun 20, 2006
I am Not.

graynull posted:

Well, it is four-to-one. Also, if they didn't have anyone on who supported the opposing side it'd just be five people agreeing with each other.

True, true

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ibsen posted:

True, true

Plus, let's face the facts: Larry knows his audience. I doubt there are many people watching the show who are all that sympathetic to the anti-marriage equality argument.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I thought tonight's Keeping It 100 was pretty enjoyable.

I thought the reverend's defense of anti-gay attitudes was the same tired lines we've been hearing for a decade about why some things in the bible are okay to discard and others are sacrosanct and I'm just about ready to go and gay marry someone just to hasten the End Times.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I feel like the keep it 100 panel segment had some use this episode. We got to learn that if god his-freaking-self came down and told the reverend that the primary figure of his religion was gay; that reverend would complain about the misleading instruction manual he had been left with.

That was a great moment that we would basically never be able to get otherwise.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, it generally goes with five minutes for the opening monologue, 5-10 minutes for the first 'sit down' interview, 15 minutes for the three-person panel, five minutes for the transition gag (which almost always sucks), another five minutes for Bill to suck up to and help the walk-on guest shill their new 'thing,' then 10 (sometimes 15) minutes for "New Rules," with five minutes wasted at the end for HBO to cram a preview into. So once the transition gag is done, the 'panel plus one' gets 15-20 minutes to talk amongst themselves (even though the latter half of the show is usually slanted towards the walk-on guest's agenda/specialty). Even on bad days, the panel gets around half an hour on its own, when they can distract Bill from his Index Cards of Doom.

Another thing that's killing TNS is it seems Comedy Central is addicted to three commercial breaks per thirty minute slot (which run long sometimes and annoyingly ends up cutting off during the "Moment of Zen" segment from TDS if you don't record TNS). If by some miracle they could lose the break between the end of "Keep it 100" and Larry's question, they'd gain precious time. I'm not advocating for keeping the segment, because it's terrible, but the show desperately needs more time. I don't see CC compromising the show's already questionable ad profits so soon, though.

The other slightly bothersome thing is it seems that the comedians are mostly local NYC talent (with the exception of Shannon DeVido, who's from Philly), which makes you wonder if Larry brings them on simply so they'll get national exposure and something to put on their resumes. He should be trying to hook viewers in the first season, not try to give friends of his hook ups.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 4, 2015

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

which makes you wonder if Larry brings them on simply so they'll get national exposure and something to put on their resumes.

That's pretty clearly what it is.

They dob't add anything to the show either, usually just bad one-liners in the panel.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I didn't mind having the "token reprehensible position panelist" last night because everyone else was dog piling on him for being wrong.

I bashed Bill Maher a lot in this thread; and the problem with his show isn't the format; it's Bill Maher himself. He's pretty much the kind of liberal that's unambiguously okay to dislike. He's an anti-vaxxer who made Bill Frist the voice of reason. He's a reddit atheist who's fixated on Muslims. He defended SOPA because Hollywood. He often takes the "Political Correctness Gone Mad" position whenever someone says something stupid. (Expected because of his history, but it's still loving annoying.) And his Sorkin-esque misogyny permeates his comedy and his political rants.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 4, 2015

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006
He's not just anti-vaxxer either. He's pro-alternative medicine in general.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I Am A Robot posted:

He's not just anti-vaxxer either. He's pro-alternative medicine in general.

Also a PETA board member and an anti-GMO nutbar who just weeks ago tried to get an actual doctor to admit the flu shot is bullshit because this year it was only 70% effective. The flu shot is based on what the medical community thinks will be the major strains that year, Maher knew this and continually tried to make it sound like the shot is based on voodoo or the president of science throwing darts at a board..

Bill Maher is an idiot. His show can be decent when he's on topics I agree with him about.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Wow, that Pastor got a little crazy near the end.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Echo Chamber posted:

He's an anti-vaxxer who made Bill Frist the voice of reason.

Well, gently caress Bill Maher forever.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Echo Chamber posted:

I didn't mind having the "token reprehensible position panelist" last night because everyone else was dog piling on him for being wrong.

I bashed Bill Maher a lot in this thread; and the problem with his show isn't the format; it's Bill Maher himself. He's pretty much the kind of liberal that's unambiguously okay to dislike. He's an anti-vaxxer who made Bill Frist the voice of reason. He's a reddit atheist who's fixated on Muslims. He defended SOPA because Hollywood. He often takes the "Political Correctness Gone Mad" position whenever someone says something stupid. (Expected because of his history, but it's still loving annoying.) And his Sorkin-esque misogyny permeates his comedy and his political rants.

All you really have to say about Bill Maher is that he dedicated an entire movie to religion-bashing, and the best he could come up with to conclude with was :godwin:

The worst part is that he tries really hard to be funny but he is not whatsoever.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

He also laughs at his own jokes. Like every single one.

Roughly 40% of which are HEY GUYS GUESS WHO LIKES WEED!?

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

raditts posted:

All you really have to say about Bill Maher is that he dedicated an entire movie to religion-bashing, and the best he could come up with to conclude with was :godwin:

The worst part is that he tries really hard to be funny but he is not whatsoever.

I like Maher's show and yeah, Maher is easily the worst part. I know a dude who loving LOVES Bill Maher, religilous, dick dorkins, I'm sure Chris hitchens, and now he's a gamergater so p lol people that actually like him. I liked when Bill Burr was one and Maher wanted to bitch about PC gone mad and Burr just shut that down.

And I like Keep it 100 I just really hate when I feel like some gives a disingenuous answer and Larry lets them get away with it. Bullshit you would rather stay fat, bullshit if literally God told you Jesus was gay you wouldn't change your mind because "the bible". (e: yeah, that second one he didn't get away with it, but still I feel that same disingenuous poo poo)

Je suis fatigue fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 4, 2015

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Toona the Cat posted:

I don't think I've ever liked Lance Bass...until now.

Did he actually say anything? I couldn't stop staring at his ridiculous pupils.

:cocaine:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
He actually had several of the most on point and relevant while still being snappy responses of the show.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Strobe posted:

He actually had several of the most on point and relevant while still being snappy responses of the show.

Yeah, I used to hate everybody from N'Sync on principle (I have two younger sisters who were young teens in the late 90's, after all), but I've only been impressed with Lance Bass whenever I've heard him speak over the last several years.

jerichojx posted:

Wow, that Pastor got a little crazy near the end.

A bit sulky too.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

IRQ posted:

Also a PETA board member and an anti-GMO nutbar who just weeks ago tried to get an actual doctor to admit the flu shot is bullshit because this year it was only 70% effective. The flu shot is based on what the medical community thinks will be the major strains that year, Maher knew this and continually tried to make it sound like the shot is based on voodoo or the president of science throwing darts at a board..

Bill Maher is an idiot. His show can be decent when he's on topics I agree with him about.

It wasn't anywhere near 70%, last I read was like 23% I think? But your reasons for that are right (They messed up on what strains would be around this year). I have nothing against the flu shot, I'm 31, never got a flu shot, never had the flu but unlike people like Maher I understand everyone's circumstances are different. I view anti-flu shotters the same as anti-vaxxers, total nutcases.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Ignore

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 5, 2015

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Alcee Hastings :stare:

Jax-Guy1
Apr 25, 2011
This Hastings guy is awesome, lol.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Holy poo poo this Florida guy serving out burns like it's his job.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Kristen Stewart being on the cover of No Fucks Monthly is about the most on point thing this show has done.

Jax-Guy1
Apr 25, 2011
As someone who lives in Florida, any time a comedy show rags on the state I feel a little bad. But most of the time I have to concede that it is a pretty crazy state where a seeming plurality of crazy stories seem to originate.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

JohnSherman posted:

Kristen Stewart being on the cover of No Fucks Monthly is about the most on point thing this show has done.

Yeah that was a good detail.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
...The Last Of Us is an actual preview of what's coming, isn't it?

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!
So here you go, a TNS where he goes right in to the panel. You think this is a test or just a topic he really wants to talk about? Both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I'd be interested to also hear some womens' opinions on this issue, though I understand why they are only talking to men.

• Locked thread