Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

mewse posted:

Drunk on his impeccable storytelling ability, maybe!!

Ok, you've had enough Mr. Mewse. Give me your keys and I'll call you a cab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Capn Beeb posted:

Towns like Harlan essentially are prisons.

Except plenty of people make it out alive since Harlan County's been losing population for decades.

Tide posted:

Not killing Boyd was more than simple plot armor.

Markham knew his father, knew him when he was a kid, and may see him as a potential tool later. That meeting was also a means for Avery to show his big swinging dick in from of Harlan's current bad guy and his woman. And truthfully, it served no purpose to kill Boyd when Boyd had no idea who he was ultimately stealing from.

I'm not sure it's that complex; it seemed more that he wanted to show who Boyd was the new heavy in town and scare him away from messing with his money, leaving it at that. Underestimating Boyd leading to his downfall and all that. They practically telegraphed that with Mary Steenburgen's character as well, though her fatal flaw will be trying to get one over on Avery.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Feb 5, 2015

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

comes along bort posted:

Except plenty of people make it out alive since Harlan County's been losing population for decades.

While this is true, there is still a huge amount of people in Harlan, hell, in all of Appalachia, who refuse to leave. In season 2, Mags says " 'Cause it ain't an easy life here. No, ma'am. To an outsider, it's probably hard to understand why we're all not just lining up and saying, "Where do we sign?" But we got our own kind of food, our own music. Our own liquor! We got our own way of courting, and raising children! And our own way of living and dying." And that is absolutely, positively the truth. There are people there that simply will not leave, because their ancestors helped that land become what it is, and they'll not see that work die out.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

androo posted:

I thought it was possible there was some further discussion between Ava and Avery, following how she had to be tougher than the men and be willing to do things they wouldn't. Otherwise why show that discussion and why wouldn't Avery have just talked to Boyd when they kidnapped him? I assumed they took Boyd away to get at Ava, and then had Boyd come back and look like an rear end in a top hat to just reinforce how powerful Avery is in front of her.

Yeah, that's what I thought to. And now Ava's a CI for Raylan AND Mustachless Sam Elliot.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

3Romeo posted:

The thing is, the show really peaked in season two. Three and four were really, really loving good, but season two did something that no other season has been able to pull off: through Mags, it showed a part of Appalachian life (the family matriarch) that really brought the culture (and the show) alive. And Margo Martindale owned the role. Except for Mags, the most Appalachian thing in all of Justified is the intro.

edit so that I don't sound like I'm talking out of my rear end: I live in southwest Virginia. The church and the guy in the flannel shirt? That's every exit off of 460 between here and Roanoke.

I live in NE TN, on the border of VA and NC, and I completely agree with you. The only thing in season 2 that I thought was somewhat questionable in how it portrayed the region was the way the citizens of Harlan and Bennett County made the coal company out to be the devil. From what I've seen, most people in the area would be welcoming the coal companies in with open arms. As right wing as this whole region is, if you talk bad about coal, you're a dirty liberal who hates jobs and freedom.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Dentyne Fire + Dentyne Ice = End of World?

empty baggie posted:

I live in NE TN, on the border of VA and NC, and I completely agree with you. The only thing in season 2 that I thought was somewhat questionable in how it portrayed the region was the way the citizens of Harlan and Bennett County made the coal company out to be the devil. From what I've seen, most people in the area would be welcoming the coal companies in with open arms. As right wing as this whole region is, if you talk bad about coal, you're a dirty liberal who hates jobs and freedom.

Coming from the SW PA region and having family that relied on coal for most of its existence, I have to agree that the people would easily welcome the coal companies. The only thing that they wouldn't like is the buying the land out from under them. That area seems fine with selling mineral rights off to the land, but not all of the land itself. A good example being all of the natural gas drilling in the area now. People are fine to sell off the rights to the minerals/gas reserves on their land and are more than happy to bring in a constant check as long as the companies are operating wells and running pipe over the land.

And the matriarch comments are 100% correct. For some reason it seems that in the Appalachian region the "homemaker" role is more of a "family glue" than it's traditional connotation. As far as I can remember all of the family events are often tied to going to the grandmother's place and when the matriarch passes away it never fails that the entire dynamic of a family can change drastically. Oddly, until I read that post here about it I never really stopped to think it if was something unique to the area or that big of a deal. Hindsight is pretty interesting like that.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

empty baggie posted:

I'm not from around but I think they are playing to older conflicts between miners & the mining companies in Harlan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iAIM02kv0g

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlan_County_War

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

comes along bort posted:

Deaths and incarcerations don't count.

SublimeDelusions posted:

And the matriarch comments are 100% correct. For some reason it seems that in the Appalachian region the "homemaker" role is more of a "family glue" than it's traditional connotation. As far as I can remember all of the family events are often tied to going to the grandmother's place and when the matriarch passes away it never fails that the entire dynamic of a family can change drastically. Oddly, until I read that post here about it I never really stopped to think it if was something unique to the area or that big of a deal. Hindsight is pretty interesting like that.

It helps the patriarch figure is often either 1) Dead. 2) A useless piece of broke down poo poo that refuses to help out. 3) Incarcerated.

For reference: I live here too.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I've started my re-watch of season 4. Goddamn, this show is great. I love the interaction between Boyd and Wynn.

Boyd: Well you can trust me.
Wynn: But I don't even trust the way you just now said I could trust you.

loving fantastic.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

DarklyDreaming posted:

drat son you like to talk as much as I do

Loved this.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Shadow posted:

Loved this.

It was so perfect, just as I think to myself "Christ, he sounds like Boyd" Boyd drops that line.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

10 Beers posted:

I've started my re-watch of season 4. Goddamn, this show is great. I love the interaction between Boyd and Wynn.

loving fantastic.

Yeah i loved that too, especially the look on his face

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

10 Beers posted:

loving fantastic.

It's been said before but the amazing character writing of Season 4 can be summed up by Nicky Augustine telling Boyd he uses 40 words when 4 would do, and Boyd immediately coming back with "We dug coal together."

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Kibayasu posted:

It's been said before but the amazing character writing of Season 4 can be summed up by Nicky Augustine telling Boyd he uses 40 words when 4 would do, and Boyd immediately coming back with "We dug coal together."

That's after he has the poo poo beaten out of him, right? The exchange is a lot different when the rest of Nicky's dialogue is tacked on -

quote:

Nicky Augustine: Man, I love the way you talk... using 40 words where 4 will do. I'm curious. What would you say if I was about to put 40 bullets through that beautiful vest of yours?
Boyd Crowder: "What're you waiting for?"
Nicky Augustine: Oh, you're cool, huh?
Boyd Crowder: I tried to keep it to four words. You'll allow the contraction as one.

Edit: More awesome Nicky/Boyd -

quote:

Boyd Crowder: Mr. Augustine, seeing as how Drew Thompson's already in the Marshals' custody, why you're cutting off the tail of my cousin and offering him up is opaque to me.
Nicky Augustine: I'm going to need Google Translate on my phone if I'm going to keep talking to you.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Astroman posted:

Last season was a little weak, but Quarles was still great in Season 3, so I wouldn't entirely say it peaked with 2. poo poo, we also had Limehouse in there, and he was great.

And let's not forget the high points of 4: Boyd vs Snake Handler in the Preach Off, Colt vs Tim, Shelby/Drew Thompson, Ellen May, Raylan and Boyd go back to HS. That season started off a bit weak with the Macguffin storyline, but it was overall fantastic.

I think the perfectness of 2, combined with the weakness of 5, is causing a lot of people's memories to write off 3 and 4 unfairly.

Really wish Limehouse would makes more appearances.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Parachute posted:

That's after he has the poo poo beaten out of him, right? The exchange is a lot different when the rest of Nicky's dialogue is tacked on -

Edit: More awesome Nicky/Boyd -

Boyd is just the loving best, and I'm glad the series is going to end after this. I know he's going to die, and I can't imagine this show without him.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I just want to know - have we ever seen anyone in Boyd's bar who is there to buy a drink and to buy a drink alone, or is that establishment used exclusively for his gang making schemes and people walking in to threaten him?

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Jonny Angel posted:

I just want to know - have we ever seen anyone in Boyd's bar who is there to buy a drink and to buy a drink alone, or is that establishment used exclusively for his gang making schemes and people walking in to threaten him?

That's something I've actually been noticing more the last season or two. Boyd's bar is always empty, so are the streets, there's maybe a handful of people in any institution in the middle of the day. The Pizza Portal scene was one of the most crowded scenes I've noticed in a while. I hope it's intentional, because it's really driving home that feeling that Harlan is becoming a ghost town.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Now I'm just sad that we got robbed of the opportunity to watch Boyd run a failing Dairy Queen franchise.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jonny Angel posted:

Now I'm just sad that we got robbed of the opportunity to watch Boyd run a failing Dairy Queen franchise.

I laughed pretty hard when he was extorting those guys for more money. I mean I get why but it was still funny.

"..and a Dairy Queen franchise."

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Jonny Angel posted:

There seemed to be clientele at the start of season 4 but after that the staff seems to be getting hurt every other shift. Honestly, Audrey's seemed like the real hot spot.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Jonny Angel posted:

Or take revenge on Dairy Queen for cutting him off. I would be totally OK with most of those spin-offs, especially Tim getting along with the other PTA parents.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Jonny Angel posted:

I was really curious if that tasty burger Boyd was eating was bar fare that they offered or if his guy brought it from another establishment. It wasn't packed in takeout packaging and looked like it was freshly made

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
It did look like a good burger. I'mma go ahead and say that Carl is just a man of many talents.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
So, looks like the next episode of Justified has some echoes of the premiere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb0sm6D0jQE

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jonny Angel posted:

It seems like we only ever really see it during the off hours, like early in the morning or late at night.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Holy Raylan and Boyd teaming up again?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Ok that was seriously the creepiest loving thing ever :stare:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The explosives guy looks familiar...that's not Jake Busey, is it?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

CBJSprague24 posted:

The explosives guy looks familiar...that's not Jake Busey, is it?

It is!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

B- for effort, casting. Would've preferred Gary Busey the psycho pyro guy. :colbert:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I want Sigourney Weaver to choke me out with her thighs.

EDIT: Well there went Jake Busey

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 11, 2015

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Did that just happen :stare:

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
Lol what the poo poo

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

Holy poo poo.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?