Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Pakled posted:

No fall damage is a rather simple change, it turns out. Here you go.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9dsckbz8scltcu6/NoFallDamage.zip?dl=0

Oh man, you rock! Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Hey as long as we're on a mod showcase here's two I really want to point out:

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/enhanced-storage.2450/
Enhanced storage isn't new. It bumps the storage of existing containers up across the board, so chests are 64 slots, large containers like crates are 80, and huge containers like the ship locker reach 100. It sounded a little cheaty so I was hesitant but after trying it out I don't think I can ever go back.
Even more importantly than that however, it just updated recently with a new feature that lets you pick up chests with their contents intact. So if you have a big packed storage room and want to move it, reorganize it, whatever, you don't have to break each container and let poo poo spill out all over the floor, then place the containers and put the items back in one at a time. Just grab all the containers and put them down and voila, everything's exactly where you left it. The convenience is amazing, and if it wasn't for this I can't imagine how obnoxious it would have been to move all my storage planetside from my ship. It's so good it needs to be a vanilla mod. I can't describe how convenient it is. Seriously. Get it, get it, get it.

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/the-game-hunter-mounted-monsters.2546/
This one, by comparison, is just for fun. Craft a hunting rifle and collect hunting trophies of whatever you killed. They can be stuffed, mounted, and even posed dynamically. Good for Florans or anyone who wants a trophy room.

reignonyourparade posted:

Can't you just disguise it, give it the exact same description as normal prismatic world?
I could, but honestly all joking aside I just thought people would prefer to know ahead of time.

THE loving MOON posted:

Also those floating backslot robots? KEI I think it is? They're all sprite versions of mags from PSO, given different names. :shepface:
They could be floating animes for all I care, mine gives me a constant glow and increased walk speed. This rules.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

In addition to the abc tempo issue I posted about last page, the planet right next to my starter world is listed as Harmless but the spawn point was a camp with three dudes in hoodies with some kind of loving Space Uzis that killed me in about a second to their combined fire. I eventually killed them all by walling up in a little hole and plinking them four shots at a time with my literal BB-gun weapon. It took like fifteen minutes and was pretty much the complete antithesis of fun, but hey, I found coffee beans.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

They could be floating animes for all I care, mine gives me a constant glow and increased walk speed. This rules.

Hey, I ain't complaining. I loved PSO back in the day, I just thought it was really cool. Also yeah the exploration track mags KEIs own

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Ryoshi posted:

In addition to the abc tempo issue I posted about last page, the planet right next to my starter world is listed as Harmless but the spawn point was a camp with three dudes in hoodies with some kind of loving Space Uzis that killed me in about a second to their combined fire. I eventually killed them all by walling up in a little hole and plinking them four shots at a time with my literal BB-gun weapon. It took like fifteen minutes and was pretty much the complete antithesis of fun, but hey, I found coffee beans.

The Threat Level is just based on the Biome, it doesn't scan each randomly generate planet and compare every NPC to your current equipment or some poo poo like that.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Ryoshi posted:

The thing is, as soon as you craft some armor those guys will do somewhere around 0-2 damage to you. There is always the option of just using dirt to enclose them in a little space and then go on your way. Once you get the upgrade that lets you suck up liquids with your matter manipulator, it can be really satisfying to then fill said space with poison or lava.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

Hey as long as we're on a mod showcase here's two I really want to point out:

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/enhanced-storage.2450/
Enhanced storage isn't new. It bumps the storage of existing containers up across the board, so chests are 64 slots, large containers like crates are 80, and huge containers like the ship locker reach 100. It sounded a little cheaty so I was hesitant but after trying it out I don't think I can ever go back.
Even more importantly than that however, it just updated recently with a new feature that lets you pick up chests with their contents intact. So if you have a big packed storage room and want to move it, reorganize it, whatever, you don't have to break each container and let poo poo spill out all over the floor, then place the containers and put the items back in one at a time. Just grab all the containers and put them down and voila, everything's exactly where you left it. The convenience is amazing, and if it wasn't for this I can't imagine how obnoxious it would have been to move all my storage planetside from my ship. It's so good it needs to be a vanilla mod. I can't describe how convenient it is. Seriously. Get it, get it, get it.

I can't imagine something like that will ever be implemented by default because you effectively have anywhere from 9x-64x your inventory space thanks to it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

The Threat Level is just based on the Biome, it doesn't scan each randomly generate planet and compare every NPC to your current equipment or some poo poo like that.

It also doesn't check to make sure your spawn point on a given planet isn't surrounded by three hostile NPCs, which seems pretty dumb and easy to avoid.

ZypherIM posted:

The thing is, as soon as you craft some armor those guys will do somewhere around 0-2 damage to you. There is always the option of just using dirt to enclose them in a little space and then go on your way. Once you get the upgrade that lets you suck up liquids with your matter manipulator, it can be really satisfying to then fill said space with poison or lava.

Oh man, I have the liquid upgrade and didn't even think about that. drat.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Alaan posted:

I can't imagine something like that will ever be implemented by default because you effectively have anywhere from 9x-64x your inventory space thanks to it.

But giving your character a tremendous amount of inventory space isn't always bad. It's just that doing so carelessly is. The reason games limit your inventory (besides technical reasons) is just so that your inventory isn't a giant loving unnavigable mess. If your inventory was just an unsorted 100x100 grid of items it'd be massively unmanageable. You wouldn't be able to find anything, unless you put in an unreasonable effort keeping it all neatly arranged.

But the flipside of that is, it would be fine to have a 10,000 slot inventory if there was some sort of sorting as part of the interface. Which the chests would provide. So that would be fine.

God knows if Chucklefish realizes any of this though.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
What are the back slot robots (mags) that were being talked about? Are those something in the base game I just haven't seen or are they a mod?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

AndroidHub posted:

What are the back slot robots (mags) that were being talked about? Are those something in the base game I just haven't seen or are they a mod?

It's this mod:

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/your-starbound-crew.948/

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I'd be perfectly happy with JUST the ability to move boxes without having all their contents vomit out, even if you could only hold one stuffed box inside your inventory at a time. It would at least make rearranging or expanding your ship or planet side bases a lot easier. Four small wooden crates (or any such thing)or small chests right now is the same storage capacity as your ship vault after all.

EDIT: vvv Part of why I've never touched minecraft is that A: viddy game goals to strive to between the building is in Terraria and Starbound. B: I am the loving WORST at building things. I take ages to make a rectangle log cabin in 2D, my attempts at 3D building would just be the saddest thing to watch.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 5, 2015

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Section Z posted:

I'd be perfectly happy with JUST the ability to move boxes without having all their contents vomit out, even if you could only hold one stuffed box inside your inventory at a time. It would at least make rearranging or expanding your ship or planet side bases a lot easier. Four small wooden crates (or any such thing)or small chests right now is the same storage capacity as your ship vault after all.
Alternately, there was a Minecraft mod that let you transport whole boxes at once, and you could carry as many as you want, but you'd be massively slowed while carrying them, so you couldn't just bring them with you on adventures. It seemed like a pretty good way of moving stuff without exploiting it for pure inventory space.

Shevmo
Jan 19, 2015

Vib Rib posted:

Alternately, there was a Minecraft mod that let you transport whole boxes at once, and you could carry as many as you want, but you'd be massively slowed while carrying them, so you couldn't just bring them with you on adventures. It seemed like a pretty good way of moving stuff without exploiting it for pure inventory space.

Holy crap baskets this sounds relevant to my interests. In the groups I play I tend to be the only one really concerned with organization and major building. In Terraria I was the one who stayed at and built the base. I imagine it will be the same when the crew really gets into Starbound again. I would love to have the ability to move around chests according to how we need to expand storage!

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Having to organize poo poo has got to be one of the most frustrating things in the game, having to move your cargo hold after getting a ship upgrade is a pain in the rear end. There are just so many different types of blocks to manage. I think I might add that mod tomorrow.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I'm sort of surprised that there aren't some storage size upgrades for your MM or ship box. Seems like it would fit with the more steamlined feel they put in with S.A.I.L.

Thank's I'll take a look at this, might just use it for the mags alone, unless it just really clutters up the game. And I'm assuming since vibrib was talking about them it meshes alright with the prismatic stars right?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

AndroidHub posted:

I'm sort of surprised that there aren't some storage size upgrades for your MM or ship box

Thank's I'll take a look at this, might just use it for the mags alone, unless it just really clutters up the game. And I'm assuming since vibrib was talking about them it meshes alright with the prismatic stars right?

I don't know if it works with prismatic stars or not, it adds it's own new star types. I haven't really looked at them yet though

Bob Locke
Dec 31, 2007

Ryoshi posted:

Found a banjo. Decided to try to whip up an ABC song to test custom creation. It plays fine in the player, but Starbound itself completely ignores the tempo notation and plays it assgratingly slowly.

Someone on the CF forums posted some kind of ABC editor to get things working (which is pretty stupid since tempo is part of the abc notation specs and why would it not respect that?) but it hasn't been updated for Upbeat Giraffe so none of the instruments show up.

What the hell.

Assuming you're talking about Starbound Composer, it got a hotfix in this thread (look toward the bottom) that fixed the no instrument issue. Try importing a midi of some song and clicking the yellow pencil button next to a track, it'll show you the .abc for that track. Might help narrow down your problem.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

THE loving MOON posted:

Having to organize poo poo has got to be one of the most frustrating things in the game, having to move your cargo hold after getting a ship upgrade is a pain in the rear end. There are just so many different types of blocks to manage. I think I might add that mod tomorrow.
It's absolutely worth it. I'd also like to triple-recommend the hyper storage mod: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/item-broadcaster-hyper-storage.1745/
Craft and place one sender and one receiver and your whole storage room can now be automated. You still have to set up the storage boxes in the first place (which that enhanced storage mod is great to help with), but once that's done, you're set.
There is nothing as rewarding as just being able to warp home with a full inventory, dump everything into one chest, and have the system automatically put every object away where you want it to be. Saves so much time.

AndroidHub posted:

Yep. Prismatic Stars are standalone, so they work fine with any other mod, even ones that add new biomes, stars, planets, etc. I've got Mysterious Stars, Unstable Stars (from Your Starbound Crew), and Prismatic Stars all helping populate my universe.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
My friend Syrup and I put the two mods I've been working on onto the official Starbound mod site:

Prismatic Stars
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/prismatic-stars.2551/

Plant Matters
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/plant-matters.2552/

So now they've got a home and a place to be updated. Thanks to everyone for your encouragement on these. I'm glad you enjoyed them. Please remember to rate comment and subscribe. :bigtran:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

It's absolutely worth it. I'd also like to triple-recommend the hyper storage mod: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/item-broadcaster-hyper-storage.1745/
Craft and place one sender and one receiver and your whole storage room can now be automated. You still have to set up the storage boxes in the first place (which that enhanced storage mod is great to help with), but once that's done, you're set.
There is nothing as rewarding as just being able to warp home with a full inventory, dump everything into one chest, and have the system automatically put every object away where you want it to be. Saves so much time.

Oh holy poo poo, this is my jam. I had no idea there was a mod that does this.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Dumb question. Currently the largest Vanilla container capacity outside of your ship locker is 24, right? I'm eyeballing these recently linked storage mods and it looks like the hyper storage beacon one is the most friendly with vanilla containers.

Hopefully any further official changes to containers makes more expensive/fancy ones hold MORE regardless of size (Lunar lockers Vs wooden crates, for example.), not make anything else hold less just to make them look better by comparison..

I still need to unlock wiring stations anyways. I did cheat myself enough titanium and uranium for the first Ship upgrade and first area upgrade to the MM, so I got a wiring tool at least.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Afraid of Audio posted:

Give it a little longer, I can feel the walls beginning to give.

The walls are being rebuilt out of tears and flesh. They will hold far longer than you think. As long as your thinking less than a week. ... :(

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

There are some pretty big ones, the primitive chest is 36 I think? I know there is an apex one that is pretty big too. Avian tombs hold something like 24 and stack pretty easily. I can really easily have way more space than I really ever use.

Also don't worry, the optimism will fade and you will be able to resume standard thread performance soon.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ZypherIM posted:

There are some pretty big ones, the primitive chest is 36 I think? I know there is an apex one that is pretty big too. Avian tombs hold something like 24 and stack pretty easily. I can really easily have way more space than I really ever use.
Thanks. Sounds like 24 is the current tops for the vanilla stackable ones then.

quote:

Also don't worry, the optimism will fade and you will be able to resume standard thread performance soon.

That's not true at all. I can't RESUME bitching about combat/survival because I never stopped :downs:

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
I like you Section Z, I don't think I've ever said that before but you're pretty alright.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Afraid of Audio posted:

I like you Section Z, I don't think I've ever said that before but you're pretty alright.

AoA: Best poster 2015.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Updated Prismatic Stars in the OP. If anyone has any problems with mods in the OP, let me know and I'll remove them or whatever.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 5, 2015

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah my problem is you hosed up the link. :smug:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

My problem is you hosed up your life, owned nerd

I'm sorry we're still friends ill fix it

E: okay done, I need to not copy/paste while tired

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

grimcreaper posted:

x: 84510553 y: -66927251 Gamma Fribbilus Xax 056, IV, the big Ice ball planet.

The avian tomb

Are you running any mods? Cause no matter if I connect to the server of a friend, or start up my singleplayer (with the 64 bit client), I end up with it pointing at 'Gamma Delta-01 Lyr 09, which is a radioactive star with the 4th planet dominated by a big poison ocean. I thought those coords were seeds so they should come out same for everyone unless some mods are involved. I'd be happy for any avian tomb though, as I'm drowning in Apex labs, get the occasional USMC penal colony or USMC outpost but can't find an avian tomb to save my life.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Feindfeuer posted:

Are you running any mods? Cause no matter if I connect to the server of a friend, or start up my singleplayer (with the 64 bit client), I end up with it pointing at 'Gamma Delta-01 Lyr 09, which is a radioactive star with the 4th planet dominated by a big poison ocean. I thought those coords were seeds so they should come out same for everyone unless some mods are involved. I'd be happy for any avian tomb though, as I'm drowning in Apex labs, get the occasional USMC penal colony or USMC outpost but can't find an avian tomb to save my life.

The planets you get from co-ords are different based on your OS I believe. If he's running Windows 7 and you're on Windows 8, for example, you'll get different planets.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Azzents posted:

The planets you get from co-ords are different based on your OS I believe. If he's running Windows 7 and you're on Windows 8, for example, you'll get different planets.

That's.... weird, but I guess that explains why I can't find the right system.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Babe Magnet posted:

My problem is you hosed up your life
That's true but only tangentially related to the current situation.
Thanks for the OP link, Babe Magnet.

Also I've been looking into it and I can't find solarium or uranium in any of my Prismatic planets of any type or any difficulty. Others show up (including aegisalt, rubium, and violium) but not these two "catalyst" ores. They should be showing up on planets of the appropriate difficulty regardless of biome -- and either way I've tried planets that are randomly of the appropriate biome -- but I'm starting to suspect there's another catch or safety check somewhere. If that's the case, it would mean these ores are limited specifically, and won't show up in prismatic star systems regardless of planet.
I could just say "prismatic planets are for endgame exploration and cool poo poo anyway" but this is going to really bug me, now. If anyone who's dabbled in the files knows anything about this I'd appreciate any help I could get.

Or maybe I'm just mixed up somewhere, and the ores do spawn, in which case I just hosed something up. If anyone manages to find either ore in a prismatic world let me know.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 5, 2015

Vitreous Rumor
Oct 21, 2004

Azzents posted:

rofl at System.Random being the RNG of choice for a procedural universe game. "We tested it on three different macs and everything was the same!"

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

EvilDrWong posted:

rofl at System.Random being the RNG of choice for a procedural universe game. "We tested it on three different macs and everything was the same!"

If it doesn't produce the same results for everyone barring mods, what's the loving point of having seeds you can share? The whole point behind having a seeded universe is that by entering a seed you can go visit the same planet someone else shared with you.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Are any specific biomes more or less likely to have NPC settlements?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this new thread is really a something awful games thread success story

im glad we are all civil to each other

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Eonwe posted:

this new thread is really a something awful games thread success story

im glad we are all civil to each other

Things have been looking up, yeah-

Afraid of Audio posted:

gently caress. This is basically the kiss of death to a thread. You're good Audio, real good. :ocelot:

EDIT: More signs I am kind of terrible at building even the most basic of efficient or aesthetically pleasing things. Both using Lunar base crates because the look cooler than wooden boxes which take up less space, and then spacing them out so only 12 of them are in a ship room that could easily hold 15 because I liked how it looked with them facing away from the support beams :downs:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I've been keeping an eye on this, it sounds like the worst issues are still janky combat/armor balance and (moddable) annoyances with mining/delving, anything else major?

Is there still a good chance they're going to cause a full character/planet/base/universe wipe with future patches? None of my friends who played this last year want to touch it again for that reason right now.

• Locked thread