Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
New chapter up at WSJ-I.

Feels very much like the end of an anime (which I'm sure they're going for) given that there's no real link given to whatever arc starts next week. I'm glad they didn't let Soma just beat everyone and its good they stopped the whole "going last equals victory" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
Ooh, does Erina get to be a character now?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I'm a bit amused Souma mentions one of the complaints this thread had about this resolution.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 3, 2015

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Last chapter gave me a bad taste in my mouth even if the reasons leading up to it were there, but at least in this chapter Soma and Ryou were so cute eating Hayama's dish after demanding it from him ::3:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Compendium posted:

Last chapter gave me a bad taste in my mouth even if the reasons leading up to it were there, but at least in this chapter Soma and Ryou were so cute eating Hayama's dish after demanding it from him ::3:

They really got that goofy power trio vibe going now. Too bad Takumi got shafted. :v:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

vibratingsheep posted:

Ooh, does Erina get to be a character now?

I'm pretty sure that's why Hishoko got put on a bus to nowhere. Erina isn't supposed to be the villain, she's a tsundere love interest.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm pretty sure that's why Hishoko got put on a bus to nowhere. Erina isn't supposed to be the villain, she's a tsundere love interest.

Her cooking has probably hit a wall based off what the dad is implying too. Clearly she'll get into her own power rivalry with Megumi.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Allarion posted:

Her cooking has probably hit a wall based off what the dad is implying too. Clearly she'll get into her own power rivalry with Megumi.

Please give me a Megumi, Alice, and Erina triple fight.

Erina is optional.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Megumi vs. Alice would actually be very interesting because their cooking styles are radically different. Erina's would just be good because she is good- she lacks any real defining characteristics.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

Megumi vs. Alice would actually be very interesting because their cooking styles are radically different. Erina's would just be good because she is good- she lacks any real defining characteristics.

That's why I'm excited about her showing up at the end of the chapter looking envious - once she's allowed to be a character and not just an object of worship, we could find some defining characteristics that make her interesting. She hasn't been allowed to do anything herself yet, though, so she's just sitting around while everyone else gets defined personalities and developed rivalries.

Feoffic
Feb 13, 2012

Erina's would just be good because she is good- she lacks any real defining characteristics.
She's basically a female Souma, except a better chef and tits.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

jrdbnta posted:

She's basically a female Souma, except a better chef and tits.

No, Soma is humble and a decent human being.

Feoffic
Feb 13, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

No, Soma is humble and a decent human being.

Hence the word "basically". ; ^ )

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
After 104 chapters, Erina might actually become a character!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

vibratingsheep posted:

That's why I'm excited about her showing up at the end of the chapter looking envious - once she's allowed to be a character and not just an object of worship, we could find some defining characteristics that make her interesting. She hasn't been allowed to do anything herself yet, though, so she's just sitting around while everyone else gets defined personalities and developed rivalries.

She'll probably end up stagnating or something and get all huffy and emotional when confronting Souma and then fall for him when she finds out who his father is. The whole "she's still the absolute greatest cook" is really starting to get annoying. Her cousin is a million times more interesting, if only because Alice will probably end up badgering Megumi for home-style cooking techniques so she's not completely dependent on all her fancy machines.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Eh, we'll have to see, that's all sort of reaching even for this manga which has proven that it can throw people for a loop. Not a big one per say, but enough of one.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

pentyne posted:

She'll probably end up stagnating or something and get all huffy and emotional when confronting Souma and then fall for him when she finds out who his father is. The whole "she's still the absolute greatest cook" is really starting to get annoying. Her cousin is a million times more interesting, if only because Alice will probably end up badgering Megumi for home-style cooking techniques so she's not completely dependent on all her fancy machines.

I think we've already hit her in a stagnating position, it just it hasn't been demonstrated in a match yet. Her rank has insulated her from actually confronting any of the other rising stars in her year which is why we haven't seen it. The next arc will probably be another examination style are where all of the students are tested and eliminated and ranked against each other with Erina unexempt and finding herself not in first.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I thought Erina's gimmick was her having some amazing sense of taste? I mean, still not that interesting, but it's not just "she's randomly the best cook."

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
My favourite bit from this chapter was Alice crying in her mother's lap because Ryou said something mean to her.

Also Hayama calling himself number one in the first years, with a chart behind him showing Erina getting pissed at being forgotten.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Begemot posted:

I mean, that's what the manga is. It's not going to turn into a romance manga all of a sudden. It's about cooking, the whole tournament was almost nonstop cooking. If you're not enjoying the cooking, I'd stop reading if I was you.

Actually, the implication is that Hayama won because he was hot for Shiomi and strove to making his cooking better for her, which is the same thing Jouchirou said at the beginning of the series. Now, that wasn't built up all that well within the context of this specific battle, but its' clearly leading to there.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm not really seeing Soma displaying any romantic interest in anyone, nevermind Erina. Unless she dressed up like a turkey or something.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Eej posted:

I'm not really seeing Soma displaying any romantic interest in anyone, nevermind Erina. Unless she dressed up like a turkey or something.

He hasn't, but the manga began with him being told to find someone to cook for and then her being the first female character introduced who also refused to acknowledge his cooking so

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Eej posted:

That's the point - they're implying Hayama won because his dish had an additional intangible quality that Soma's did not due to his feelings for Shiomi. Its the exact same thing Jouchirou said in the first chapter and again in this chapter.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

That's the point - they're implying Hayama won because his dish had an additional intangible quality that Soma's did not due to his feelings for Shiomi. Its the exact same thing Jouchirou said in the first chapter and again in this chapter.

So, I assume Souma's mother is dead, but there's no reason to make the face hidden unless the writer planned some big reveal down the line.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Speculation: the big reveal will be that Souma's mom is a Nakiri.

Also, since Erina recognized Souma's dad, it's not too far-fetched to think that she saw him in old photos with her mom. Maybe Souma's dad and his wife split, and she kept Erina, so Erina's been searching for her dad. Who is Souma's dad.

Hence Erina and Souma are siblings.

(Or it will be a hilarious misunderstanding.)

Mikl fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 4, 2015

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

That would be boring as heck and kind of ruin the whole "Souma is just a dude from a lil restaurant" thing.

Buuuuuut this is a shonen, so.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
On the other hand, it would neatly sidestep any risk of yet another paint-by-numbers tsundere relationship.

Hell, until Erina actually says or does something interesting, I'd rather Souma end up with Alice. At least she has a personality. Albeit weird.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

kidcoelacanth posted:

That would be boring as heck and kind of ruin the whole "Souma is just a dude from a lil restaurant" thing.

Buuuuuut this is a shonen, so.
Isn't that already invalidated by his dad being the black sheep superstar of the previous generation at the school?

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Paracelsus posted:

Isn't that already invalidated by his dad being the black sheep superstar of the previous generation at the school?

Soma's dad specifically refuted that in his most recent appearance, saying that he never taught Soma anything more than what was necessary to work at a little diner in a little town.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
He didn't want Soma to be some crazy superstar either, the kid was just inspired by his dad and did his best anyways.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Mikl posted:

Also, since Erina recognized Souma's dad, it's not too far-fetched to think that she saw him in old photos with her mom. Maybe Souma's dad and his wife split, and she kept Erina, so Erina's been searching for her dad. Who is Souma's dad.

I sincerely doubt that plot is going anywhere other than Erina makes blush faces at Soma for the next 300 chapters. And I think his mom being a Nakiri is super implausible given how insanely rich the family is - Soma lived in a random neighborhood working at the special-of-the-day greasy spoon. I tend to doubt his dad was just hiding insane riches somewhere - not to mention his dad is an incredibly well-regarded, high level chef even at Totsuki. It seems implausible that the Nakiri family would just leave him or whoever the mother is alone.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 5, 2015

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Blhue posted:

He hasn't, but the manga began with him being told to find someone to cook for and then her being the first female character introduced who also refused to acknowledge his cooking so

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm just saying if Soma decides he's going to make Erina his cooking waifu there's going to be a lot of chapters spent on developing this relationship considering there has been nothing there for 104 chapters.

Also it's shounen so obviously he's going to try to figure out this "cooking for someone" thing by going through every girl he knows nearby first and they'll all give him the sex eyes or w/e and he'll be oblivious and be like THIS CAN BE BETTER

doyle-san
Feb 25, 2001

"This changes nothing."

Mikl posted:

Yeah but this would lead to them bonding via a high stakes Erina-Souma vs Italian Bros battle.

THE FATED SIBLINGS BATTLE
DYNASTY ON THE LINE
BURNING BLOODLINES ON A KNIFE EDGE

Then the next issue his dad calls and says they aren't related but their respect has grown, easy romance points.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Mikl posted:

The big reveal will be that Erina travels back in time at some point in the future and is actually Souma's mom.

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡

Cynic Jester posted:

The big reveal will be that Erina travels back in time at some point in the future and is actually Souma's mom.

So Yakitate Japan all over again?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
This soup was BOILED SO loving GOOD it sends you back in time when you eat it!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Looking back the "cooking for a treasured person" is just the latest special skill of undefinable quality. From what I can remember

- Erica's "God Tongue" (though given that she's never cooked in the manga just having the greatest palette in the world is kind of lame)
- Megumi's "Hospitality"
- Crazy guy's "Chef Tracing"

and of all of them the only one I expect to "level-up" is Megumi.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
For actually working as a cook Megumi probably has the best talent.

What is with all of the fabulously wealthy chef families, though?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Erina has cooked in the manga, she was in a Shokugeki early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

For actually working as a cook Megumi probably has the best talent.

What is with all of the fabulously wealthy chef families, though?

it's a school for heirs to fabulously wealthy chef families.