Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Classic Prince Valiant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

That is the tiniest goddamn table in Funky Winkerbean.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Green Intern posted:

That is the tiniest goddamn table in Funky Winkerbean.

Lisa's end was sawed off and cremated with her.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze...I have no idea.

Even when it makes sense, it's a ridiculous "joke".

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Kavak posted:

Are you guys speaking from personal experience or are there studies about these kinds of things?

Second hand experience, I didn't have the job but I was close with someone who did. The worst thing in some cases is what people were saying about rating the entire experience rather than an individual employee. I remember a story of a customer leaving a banker with a great experience, getting a terrible experience with a teller directly after, answering the survey with a comment specifically praising the banker for their awesome service but rating down for the teller, and the banker still got written up for not fixing the situation she was not even aware of.

Most survey systems like that seem little more than back patting on the part of the company.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

"It was on the wanted poster that the army put out when you went AWOL back in '44."

Pibgorn

If Pibgorn's bad breath is strong enough to melt steel, it should certainly work to remove that adenoid.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT

Kavak posted:

Are you guys speaking from personal experience or are there studies about these kinds of things?

Ours are 1-10. All 10s is a positive survey. There is no reward, but getting no surveys is bad. Any 9 or 8 answer is neutral. There is no write up but you and probably your team as well will not be able to recover from it and will miss your metrics for the month. 7 or less on any question is a negative survey. You get a writeup. Your team will most definitely miss their metrics.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Helicity posted:

Even when it makes sense, it's a ridiculous "joke".

I think it's a sign of how old I am that I just assumed that everyone knew who Tattoo was. :(

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
There is no correct answer on customer experience surveys. The numerical scales are calibrated to range from "you're fired" to "adequate," so, surprise, nothing you can say within the bounds of the survey results in a positive outcome for the workers. If an employee did a good job, tell the store manager in person.

Maldraedior posted:

Ours are 1-10. All 10s is a positive survey. There is no reward, but getting no surveys is bad. Any 9 or 8 answer is neutral. There is no write up but you and probably your team as well will not be able to recover from it and will miss your metrics for the month. 7 or less on any question is a negative survey. You get a writeup. Your team will most definitely miss their metrics.

This is self-evidently insane.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Aardmania posted:

Pibgorn

If Pibgorn's bad breath is strong enough to melt steel, it should certainly work to remove that adenoid.

Dude, run! She's going ram her ovipositor down your throat and lay eggs in your chest!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Your surveys are dumb and having the scores being arbitrarily interpreted in a different way than how a normal person would view them is even dumber. :colbert:/:smith:

Monty is a great comic.

Poil fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 5, 2015

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bullshit, Billy. You've seen every blizzard since 1960.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

What is surf and turf in your world?
Apparently this is an America/Australia thing? Every time I've had surf and turf it's been steak with mixed seafood, usually something like calamari, prawns, scallops and mussels. Never seen steak served with lobster.

Howard Beale posted:

It's best when you get customers who say things like "I never give a 5 rating because a 5 means perfection and there's always room for improvement."
We get the best version of this at the place I work, because if they give a score of 7 or 8 it follows up with "What could have happened differently to make you give a higher score?" and people will literally say "Nothing." If this was the best possible service you could have received, why the gently caress did you give 7/10!?

Maldraedior posted:

Yeah, that's how it is where I work too. People who take the survey often think that a score of 5/10 is neutral, "no problems, everything was fine" but the way it's interpreted is that 7 or 8 means something was wrong with the service and anything below 7 is a serious problem.

Frog Applause

Invisible Bread

Marvin

Does that mean that his office is an entire floor?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Apparently this is an America/Australia thing? Every time I've had surf and turf it's been steak with mixed seafood, usually something like calamari, prawns, scallops and mussels. Never seen steak served with lobster.

Have Lobsters evolved into land animals in Australia? :ohdear:

quote:

Frog Applause

I'm happy to see Frog Applause back again. :)

Motherfucker

I was going to ask what kind of gentleman Guther feels is right for his mother, but actually the answer to that one is kind of obvious.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Why do these Gunther strips exist anyway? The strip is called "Luann" ffs and the story with Luann and the art teacher is like a thousand times more interesting than Gunth Wants His Mommy.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Small blast from the past (thank you Google Newspapers)

The Dumbunnies 6/1/28

The Dumbunnies 6/2/28

The Dumbunnies 6/4/28

Take that Sudoku! (6/2/28)

Y'all, try Mr. Owl's Stuff.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
When did Marvin's dad get so doughy?

Also, more Dumbunnies please.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Four Eyes

Lost Side of Suburbia

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Deep Dark Fears

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Julet Esqu posted:

Have Lobsters evolved into land animals in Australia? :ohdear:
I wasn't saying that lobsters aren't seafood, they're just a type of seafood I've never seen served with steak.

Did you know that Guy Gilchrist used to work on the Muppets? This has been your monthly reminder.

Wanamingo posted:

OK, that's just bullshit. Why would a computer intended for the hotel guests to use be set up to prevent them from using it?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Tiggum posted:

Did you know that Guy Gilchrist used to work on the Muppets? This has been your monthly reminder.
Having had a collection of Muppets comic strips as a kid, I can confirm that they were just a hair better than his Nancy output. Stuff like "You are what you eat... Funny, I don't look like a peanut butter & jelly sandwich!" Dialogue swapping made fun and easy.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Tiggum posted:

I know I'm super mad at Guy Gilchrist.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Wanamingo posted:

Deep Dark Fears

Buy a clapper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny8-G8EoWOw

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Wanamingo posted:

You're sending a man to prison because he couldn't possibly know the hotel's administrative password and there's no way the computer had guest accounts that the hotel guests actually loving used. :psyboom:

Of all of the dumb Inspector Dangers, I think this may take the arsenic laced cake.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth is still in recap week.

Rex Morgan MD

And in the second panel the writer has a character no one has seen before ask the question that tears apart the premise of this entire story arc. Why would she do that?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tiggum posted:

OK, that's just bullshit. Why would a computer intended for the hotel guests to use be set up to prevent them from using it?
Sounds like it's got a BIOS password or something to prevent them from loving with it too much?

Except this is Inspector Danger so that can't be right.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

As an IT technician here's step one of how I build common use machines: make it auto-login into a locked down profile that can't do anything but what the machine is intended for because I don't want to spend my morning walking around turning on machines and logging into them like a loving janitor, and nobody else does either.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I suspected the guy who has apparently been at the bar serving himself drinks all night with no employee present.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

My personal pick was the grown adult who was said they were scared of the dark because their mother used to lock them in a closet and their airtight alibi was that as soon as the lights went out they tried to make the experience even darker and more confining by pulling a sheet over themselves.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ghostlight posted:

As an IT technician here's step one of how I build common use machines: make it auto-login into a locked down profile that can't do anything but what the machine is intended for because I don't want to spend my morning walking around turning on machines and logging into them like a loving janitor, and nobody else does either.

while yeah that's probably the best way to do it normally, but at a hotel with only one computer I could pretty easy imagine a lovely set up where a password was needed to log on. Its actually one of the more reasonable solutions I've seen. As most of the solutions are batshit crazy that's not exactly saying much, but this ones actually feasible.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Manuel Calavera posted:

Mother Goose & Grimm

Pastis is a one trick pony, but at least his puns are amusing. This is a loving travesty.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Wasn't this exact same joke done before, and without a typo?

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Ghostlight posted:

My personal pick was the grown adult who was said they were scared of the dark because their mother used to lock them in a closet and their airtight alibi was that as soon as the lights went out they tried to make the experience even darker and more confining by pulling a sheet over themselves.

If you're under a sheet then monsters can't get you. Idiot. *high scratchy voice* Don't sign your posts! *in a normal voice* Be quiet MOTHER you're embarrassing me in front of my friends! I bet you wouldn't be so impolite to Mr. Gray!!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mandrake the Magician (August 16th, 23rd and 30th, 1942)

I don't understand why both sides are so determined to control this island. I went back and checked and no reason has actually been given, all we know is that the Americans are waiting for reinforcements and the Japanese are attacking in ever greater numbers. I feel like this story would be more engaging if we had some knowledge of why everyone cares so much about Pacifica. :iiam:

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Dustin

Is Steve Kelley just going to go for Pastis-style contrived puns now? Can one of the characters threaten to beat him with a baseball bat in the final panel?

Bleeker

Sounds like Bleeker has a pretty serious hardware failure and would cost too much to fix. What a great excuse for an upgrade!

On the Fastrack

Sleep mode has existed for a long time.

Safe Havens

Were they trying to kill her? Or just throw all the furniture out of the house?

RolandTower
Nov 19, 2003

Guns n' Roses n' Deus Ex Machina
Bleak Gremlin

Midnight Moth posted:

Safe Havens

Were they trying to kill her? Or just throw all the furniture out of the house?

So is Samantha supposed to have mild diabetes or did Holbrook just not look up normal blood glucose ranges in a healthy young person. Or did she just chug a liter of cola off-panel.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If you define one dodo as the amount of annoyance a single dodo causes, it stands to reason that any annoyance caused by the two dodos would, by definition, be at a level of exactly 2 dodos. Obviously they're capable of causing varying amounts of annoyance and obviously the dodo is therefore not a smartly chosen unit of measurement.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

Is Steve Kelley just going to go for Pastis-style contrived puns now? Can one of the characters threaten to beat him with a baseball bat in the final panel?

Honestly, that's an insult to Pastis. That's a Batiuk-level pun at best, and even Batiuk would have done it better. Basically what we have here is a Crankshaft strip with a bunch of unnecessary words. Look how much you can cut out without removing anything of value from the joke:

I'd even be tempted to remove the first panel entirely, but that would probably require slightly more rewriting than just removing words. Now just imagine it's Jeff and Pam talking to Crankshaft instead of Meg and Dustin talking to Ed and the transformation is complete.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Invisible Bread

Cyanide and Happiness?

Edit: If this is how WWII Mandrake portrays the Japanese, I can only imagine how the Nazis would be shown. Too bad Mandrake would just shoot Hitler instead of making him believe his hand was a butt or something.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Feb 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Julet Esqu posted:

Have Lobsters evolved into land animals in Australia? :ohdear

They probably did. And are probably venomous like every other creature there.

Personally, I've never had Surf and Turf. 1) because I can't stand lobster (unless it's in a bisque), and 2) could never afford it.

Jane's World

Why are there Polynesians in the Florida Keys?

Non Sequitur

I was going to say that 12VDC wouldn't do that, but maybe if you added enough salt to make it conductive just enough to heat up? It certainly won't do it based on the way he's got it hooked up.

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Kliban's Cats is Tuesday's.

9 Chickweed Lane 2/5/2004

So Brooke's Jewish today?

Zits

Thankfully, one more, and I'm finally done with that racket.

Kevin & Kell

Hilarious.

• Locked thread