Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

sauer kraut posted:

That's the first gameplay of WoWS I've seen yet, not even gonna bother until torps get removed.
How can they make the same arty mistake twice :smithcloud:

If I may, I think it would be a mistake for you not to try the game based on that gameplay footage. The game is very entertaining.
Torpedoes are most likely never going to be removed. Nerfed maybe, but not removed. Most destroyers past tier 3 or 4 use torpedoes as a main weapon. Plenty of cruisers also have torpedoes. They are in here to stay.

Arty in WoT and carriers in WoWS are not the same. The only thing that is similar is the top down view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Dalael posted:

If I may, I think it would be a mistake for you not to try the game based on that gameplay footage. The game is very entertaining.
Torpedoes are most likely never going to be removed. Nerfed maybe, but not removed. Most destroyers past tier 3 or 4 use torpedoes as a main weapon. Plenty of cruisers also have torpedoes. They are in here to stay.

Arty in WoT and carriers in WoWS are not the same. The only thing that is similar is the top down view.

I see, replace torp bobmers with very slow and vulnerable Stukas maybe?
That was ridiculous. Blam you're dead even tho half my stuff missed, 2 minute coffee break, blam next one.

poo poo is not gonna fly a second time. With Tanks they had a unique game and a captive audience that got reeled in before realizing how lame high tiers are.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Feb 5, 2015

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

sauer kraut posted:

That was ridiculous. Blam you're dead even tho half my stuff missed, 2 minute coffee break, blam next one.

It may seem like it, but you have to keep in mind a few things. This guy is a really good alpha player especially with carriers. The carriers he sunk with his torpedo bombers were Langley's, which are slow and un-maneuverable compared to other carriers. They also have almost no armor which means they are really easy to sink with a well aimed strike.

Also, most games do not go that easy. He was lucky in the sense that he found the carriers pretty easily, had only 1 squad of fighters try to intercept his bombers and he got a near perfect strike with his torpedoes. Bombers are slow things and if he had been intercepted, he would have lost most of them.

Your best bet is to try the game first, and then decide if you like it or not. Hopefully, like most of us, you will have a blast and will not even remember that you have the option to go play tanks.

sauer kraut posted:

poo poo is not gonna fly a second time. With Tanks they had a unique game and a captive audience that got reeled in before realizing how lame high tiers are.

Keep in mind, in WoWS, a properly played low tier is still very useful in a game.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Dustoph posted:

Is there a list of best tanks per tier? I haven't played in a long time, and the tree has grown so much, that I'm overwhelmed in figuring out which tanks to keep, get, or go for. Ideally I'd like to have 2 good tanks per tier on hand, and more if they are also tits. Like I remember the T4 Leopard being cool back when. I'm sure this would change a lot, but appreciate any advice.

Edit: Is the KV-1 with the big gun still hilariously fun?
Wall of text inc!

The Leopard light is still great fun. Use the new 3cm gun option on it. It's an autoloader that takes a while to reload, but then you'll spew out 12 shells in about 2sec, with 95pen and 30 damage (so 360 damage if all pens). Passive/active scout at beginning, then look for poo poo with 200ish hp, charge in and put a clip in their rear end and run off to reload. Also, light tank matchmaking is now only 1 tier higher than other tanks. And if you weren't even around for that they tightened the overall matchmaker to be +/- 2, so all tanks will only see tanks 2 tiers above themselves at most (except lights who get 3 tiers up).

The KV-1 you're talking about is probably the KV-1 with the barnturret and the 152mm derp. This option does no longer exist, as the it was split in the tier 5 KV-1 and tier 6 KV-2. They're both still good tanks, and with the MM changes the KV-2 (which has the old 152mm derp) will only see tier 8 at most, where the old KV-1 would get tier 9 battles. As for a tank writeup...could do a quick'n dirty one I suppose:

Japanese tanks are mostly all rubbish. The tier 8 STA-1 is a bit like a Pershing with better pen standard rounds. Will bounce less off its mantlet though, since it's smaller. I hear the tier 10 STB-1 is good at least, and I've seen them played well.

Chinese tanks you start off with sundry knockoffs of USSR tanks (and one US), which generally play like their USSR counterparts but with slightly less gun depression. The tier 6-8 light tanks are good fun tanks, though they've been slightly overshadowed by recently released new tanks. WZ-120 is good, WZ-111 1-4 is good as well, while both tier 10 tanks are a bit...meh. Not bad, just...not great either.

French tanks, forget about the TD line. They have kinda good guns but ridiculous aimtimes, and the front armour seems good at tier 7+ but it rarely stands up to anything. Heavy line the BDR G1B is surprisingly good now that it doesn't get shat on by matchmaker any more. Its top gun is easily one of the heaviest hitters in its tier, though its armor won't stand up to much and it's kinda huge. Tier 8+ are autoloaders and if you can use those they're all pretty good. Light/med line they're all more or less good from the ELC and up. 13 75 is the worst one for me, since it's a bit more mobile than the 12t but the gun is the same. Some people hate the Lorraine because it's such a deviation from the previous lights, but just remember that it's not the previous lights and you'll be fine. The tier 10 is still awesome. The french arty is the most accurate in the game, but also the lowest damage per shell. The tier 10 arty has an autoloader and is somewhat viable.

British tanks medium line is more or less good from tier 5 and up. Personally I didn't really take to the Centurions, but several people do. The tier 5-6 are pretty fast, then tier 8+ they're slower than the mediums of other nations. The tier 10 is kinda meh, but will be getting replaced at some point. The TD line ending in the FV215b 183 are all slow bricks from tier 5, that'll test your will to live. Tier 5-9 barely sees an increase in front armor, but you'll be facing bigger and bigger guns. Also huge weakspots. Did I mention they're slow? Imagine a whole line of tanks being like the US T28. The tier 10 deathstar is less relevant since they nerfed its HESH pen, but can still gently caress up anthing it shoots. The new TD line ending in the FV4005 is basically the medium tanks with slow turning turrets and TD guns. Paper armor. FV4005 is faster than the FV215b 183, gets the same gun. Can't really recommend any of the brit TD's as they are now. Heavy line's a bunch of Churchills with the tier 6 one being the turd. Barely an upgrade from the tier 5 (3 more pen and 5dmg per shot? all right!), the Black Prince is good but still pretty loving slow. Caern at tier 8 has high RoF but less damage per shot than any other heavy in tier (gets the same gun as the tier 8 med, really). Then the tier 9 is loving awesome due to its unaparalleled gun handling. Squishy as hell for a heavy, but man that gun handling! Tier 10 get rear turret but still squishy. Struggles to be better than the tier 9 since it gets higher matchmaking but no real advantages. Brit arty is painful and great. Bit of both. FV304 is the fastest arty in the game, with great arc, and 500m range. Yes, you actually have to be right at the edge of spotting to shoot poo poo, but the great arc means you can shoot people in places no other arty could hit. The higher tiers are more normal, but higher arc is a thing all the way. CGC at tier 10 is basically a T92 with higher arc to hit poo poo trying to hide.

USSR tanks, now have 3 tier 10 mediums to choose. They're all pretty good and similar. T-54 is better than ever with the new gun option. The new A-43 to Obj 430 line has some rear-turret mediums, with turrets that don't go all the way around. Still work pretty good, but really terrible gun depression. The tier 8, the pancake tank, basically gets the good gun of the T-54, and on-the-move camo comparable to some light tanks. And much better camo stationary. The heavy line has as you can see been split into two lines. The line ending in the IS-7 is the faster but less armored line, while the line ending in IS-4 is the slower brick tanks line. IS-7 is easily better than the IS-4 though. The old TD-line is still pretty awesome, with the BL-10 from tier 8 up. The new line has rearmounted guns with gently caress'all depression. Faster TD's with lower-alpha faster-firing guns. Usually doesn't work out as well as it sounds, partially due to the poo poo gun depression. But the tier 10 is great fun. New Object 268 coming on the heels of the 704 is more agile and faster, but the gun is practically the same, if not slightly worse after some nerfs. The arty line is big hitters in the higher tiers, with very narrow traverse. With the arty nerfs, this means an awful lot of aiming in. Tier 10 gets a slightly smaller gun than the tier 7-9 (which share the same gun), but much more accurate!

German arty line is a bit like the USSR in the higher tiers. GW Panther gets great arc but then it's narrow with big guns. Tier 10 gets same size gun though, bit of a middle ground for accuracy and splash among arty. The two medium lines end in the fairly fast and heavily armored for a medium E-50M, and that line hasn't really changed much since you were last around I think. The new medium line ending in the Leopard 1 has a much faster and more agile tier 10, with absolutely no loving armor. Not for everyone, but I like it. The old TD-line is mostly unchanged, except for the availability of the JP2 at tier 8, which is basically a much faster but less armored option to the Ferdi. Same gun. JP E100 at the end, Jagdzilla, is built on the E-100 gun and pretty drat slow. Well armored, and a huge fuckoff gun. loving huge but can be good in the right hands. The new TD line is filled with awesome, except for the turd at tier 7 (which is ok once you get the top gun). The tier 8 is a turreted TD with some of the best goddamned camo in the game. And since you have a turret you don't break it by turning. The tier 9 gets a gun upgrade but is otherwise worse in every way. They could easily have switched the tier 8 and 9 and people would think it was better that way. Then the tier 10 is an E-100 hull with the biggest turret ever on top (gun shield really) that has no loving armor, but houses an autoloader selection of the JagdTiger's 128mm or the E-100's 150mm. Both will squeeze out about 3k damage in less than 10 seconds. This thing is apparently getting switched for something less retarded in the future. The heavy line ending in the Maus is considered the inferior line, mostly because the Maus' armor has kinda been reduced by gold rounds for credit, and the E-100 is just so much better. The Vk4502B just saw a buff though, and both the UFP and LFP are now 200mm. Tiger has had serious RoF buffs. Tiger II is still good but less reliable armor due to new tanks with higher pen and the whole gold rounds for credits. E-75 kicks all kinds of rear end. The light line kinda tapers off a bit with the Vk2801, since the 105mm derp lots its heat pen. And the AwfulPanther at tier 7 is a panther with no armor but a huge engine so its' fast. Also a tiny turret fitting the Konisch, which was great at tier 6 but kinda not so much when you're facing tier 10 tanks a lot. The tier 8 Ru 251 is loving fantastic though, and well worth the grind.

And finally US tanks. The new tier 9 arty, the M53/55 is basically better than the T92. At tier 9. Don't ask. The new Chaffee is a shadow of its former self, but the two tanks following it are pretty drat good. Then the tier 8 is a gimmick of being a fast light with the 152mm derp known from the KV-2. The light/medium/heavy line is autoloaders from tier 7 and up, and pretty solid, though the T69 requires some liberal goldspam to be good. T57 is great at tier 10, with a 4-clip autoloader pushing out 1600 damage in 6 seconds, and then reloading in 22-23sec. The TD line ending in the T110E4 is pretty drat great all the way, except for the T28 Proto which is a drag to drive due to how loving slow it is. And the T110E4 is a bit meh. The T110E3 line is also pretty good, but lacks turrets after the tier 6 one. T28 is also slow, and T95 even slower. T110E3 is a bit faster at least. Difference: E4 gets a turret and is faster, E3 gets armor and faster reload, slightly better accuracy and shorter aimtime. Medium line is pretty good from tier 5 up, though the Pattons at tier 9 and 10 feel a bit underwhelming in comparison to pretty much all the other mediums in the game. Not really bad, just...meh. Heavy line is still good, though the T110E5 is a bit less relevant since they buffed the IS-7 a bit. But still good tanks.

Aaaand that's it. Should give you something to work towards at least. Quick tier keeper breakdown:
Tier 5 - M4 Sherman/PzIV H (about the same with the derp), StuG III G, ELC AMX, KV-1 (I didn't keep my KV-1 though, ymmv).
Tier 6 - Hellcat, SU-100, T-34-85/Type 58.
Tier 7 - T29, T20, Comet, Tiger, possibly Panter, IS, IS-2 and KV-3.
Tier 8 - T32, Pershing, Rhoomba, AMX 50 100, AMX 13 90, ISU-152, Object 416, IS-3, WZ-132.
Tier 9 - T54E1, Conqueror, E-75, VK4502B, AMX 50 120, Object 704, T-54, WZ 111 1-4.
Tier 10, look at the stuff I've written above.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

sauer kraut posted:

Well, considering what Stukas did to UK destroyers and shipping in WW2 I wouldn't say that is bad thing.
It is not like Vindicators for instance were particularly fast, especially when loaded down with Torpedos.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
That's a lot of words to convey that the US tree still has everything for average pub players.

T5 T67 (formerly T49)
T6 M6
T7 T29
T8 I hope you have a premium tank for this shitshow
T9 M103, M46 Patton, T54E1
TX T57 Hvy

all US tier 6 and 7 light tanks are very good, too (well the T71 will be after the patch)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

sauer kraut posted:

There are already dive bombers, they're just not as effective as torpedo bombers at sinking battleships, and he wasn't carrying any. Torpedoes can't hit destroyers and some cruisers for poo poo though, and if the torpedo bombers are being shot at by fighters or AA they spray their torpedoes everywhere rather than in deadly lines, plus they can be shot down. That's the other problem with his video, at low tiers most ships have between 0 and 1 AA gun, and the enemy carriers made a massive error by not having all their fighters together near the middle of the map, waiting for his planes to show up and use superior numb ers to swat them down. Shoot down all the planes and a carrier is toothless.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

coyo7e posted:

I was in a match earlier by myself when one of the people on my team just spontaneously EXPLODES in rage at someone who he accused of stealing his kill, and how it had obviously been "his kill" so the other guy oughtn't have shot at the enemy tank at all as it was his property or something. I asked the guy how to call tanks so I can make sure nobody stole my kills, and which tanks he'd callled so far so I could avoid them, and he just sort of fumed at muttered poo poo at me in response.

I then went on to cross the map in my sherman jumbo, find the dude, drive in front of him and then every tank I spotted, I'd holler "THAT ONE'S MINE! I GOT IT!" and then I'd proceed to one-shot the tank. I was faster than he was so I kept cutting him off every time we'd near a bump or a corner, and then since I got to the tanks first, I'd call them out loud.

By the end of the match our entire team was in stitches, and I had gone 7 kills and the guy who'd flipped out had 0. :catstare: Sometimes the griefing gods are on your side.

You are a wonderful soul and I wish to some day live up to your example. :unsmith:

demonR6 posted:

Remarkably there is only one name off the top of my head that stands out as a complete shitlord that everyone loathes from Alpha. For the most part the rest are chill dudes who enjoy testing and want to help. This one gently caress though starts every match barking orders and calling everyone 'Kid'.. right, go gently caress yourself.

I don't recall the dude's name but was it the one who kept using all kinds of slurs against carrier drivers? He was loving insufferable.

Boats talk: Amagi is a total dream and has somehow turned me from terribad into Battleship Jesus, with aim to match.

Hellsau posted:

So if there is a new Brazilian server, and it gives better ping for you, Rossmum, would you play on it?

No, I don't speak Portugese and you guys aren't there for me to harass.

NTRabbit posted:

gently caress YES, Tahirovic and I just got the 1k damage and 2k damage cap missions respectively by rushing valley on Lakeville in a 111 1-4 and Conqueror. loving finally!

I've been stuck on that garbage for ages. Stop giving me terrible (but probably effective) ideas.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

rossmum posted:

I've been stuck on that garbage for ages. Stop giving me terrible (but probably effective) ideas.

We started south, we had a bold enough IS-7 go with us, they only had a T28p and AT-15 in TD terms, their arty all went east and had few shots, both their E-100s went village, only an IS-8 and the T28p were in the valley and the AT-15 and an IS-3 on cap, our team in the village was competent enogh to not get rolled but not competent enough to totally roll them, it was just a whole bunch of things that all lined up at once.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
Also re: torps, they really aren't that bad. There will be times where you get poo poo on by long-range stealth torps or a really good CV player, but more often it's some shitler on your own team who fires at something three or four times further than his torps can actually reach and hits you instead. Just react when you see the incoming planes/destroyer, not when you see the torps themselves, and you'll be fine.

If you think some asshat is lining you up for a spread, make a slight turn and drop your speed to half ahead for a few seconds to make them gently caress their lead up. Also avoid taking big, slow targets into narrow channels or island clusters.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Skill tick over is really awesome, I got my second set of 25% in winter mode and it sent my crew first skill to 99%, 100%, 99%, 100%. Next battle took them all to 100%, but now they're at Commander 100% + 14%, Gunner 100% + 48%, Driver 100% + 4%, Loader + 54% and I want the numbers to be even :spergin:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

rossmum posted:

It's about time you face reality, most of these missions can't be done while playing well, you have to do retarded things for them. Like there's a heavy platoon mission, kill 2 or 3 tanks in the first 5mins of a battle, the secondary is to survive the battle. Guess who rushed ahead and almost got killed getting a kill and then spent the last 5 minutes in cover?

Yes I am playing like a retard pub, but I get missions done.

Also even the non platoon missions are easier to do in a platoon, take Ghost, 1 T92 shell and you got that spotting damage and can go drown.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Magres posted:

gently caress Artillery.

:agreed: Effortpost incoming.

I normally abhor the idea of second-guessing a developer's choice of game design, as there is a lot more that goes into designing a game than most people realize, but artillery in WoT will forever be the exception to that. I mean, I understand why artillery was created the way it was: when Wargaming made their tank-on-tank combat game they wanted to include self-propelled guns, and they weren't sure how to implement them. They had, at best, some half-finished and untested design documents, and maybe some pre-Alpha gameplay testing to go off of, and so artillery was designed and implemented in a really lovely way, and it just got worse as the game went on. The absurd part is that artillery has changed so little since then, despite all the money, feedback, and resources WG has acquired over the years.

Right now artillery serves a similar role as Snipers in most other games: they shoot from far away, and deal large amounts of damage. The problem is that snipers are complete anti-fun in just about every game they're included in, from shooters to RTSs. I seriously can't think of a single game that actually benefits from the inclusion of snipers; in terms of either game design, or even just overall fun factor, and WoT is certainly no exception. I think artillery would be better served as an area denial weapon, a crowd control tool, or as a general debuffer to enemy vehicles, but certainly not as the damage-dealer it is now.

The fact that artillery has remained so broken and unfun for so long is completely amateurish on Wargaming's part, and the fact that arty's gameplay aesthetic has started to bleed into non-SPG vehicle design (most notably in the Waffentrager TDs) is seriously upsetting. I hate to be all "I could do a better job than Wargaming," and I know nobody gives a poo poo about my opinion on this, but here we go: Start by increasing arty's splash area of effect, lowering it's HP damage, increasing its module damage, and further decreasing its accuracy. Suddenly arty is less reliant on waiting 10+ seconds to perfectly aim its shots, is less likely to one-shot enemy vehicles, is less likely to score direct hits, is still rewarded for near-hits, and is better able to help the team by causing module/crew damage (ie shearing off equipment and stunning the crew). In any given match, arty should play a similar role as a KV-2 does in a tier 8 match: to damage enemy modules and chip off HP, while the brawlers and front line fighter do most of the actual heavy lifting. On the other side of things, non-SPGs would be less likely to get directly hit by arty, less likely to get one-shot by arty, less afraid to expose themselves to indirect fire, and overall less upset when actually hit/damaged by artillery. Increase arty's rate of fire, and include Battle Assistant by default, to make arty slightly less god awful and boring to play. Include a whistling noise to incoming indirect fire (some sound mods do this already) by default, so players know when they should take cover, and when it's safe to move up. Then hard cap arty to a max of 2 per team. This all might not perfectly solve the problem, but it's drat sure way better than what we have now.

Now someone please list all the reasons Wargaming will never change arty in any meaningful way. :eng99:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Illegal Carrot posted:

Now someone please list all the reasons Wargaming will never change arty in any meaningful way. :eng99:

Because SERB loves player's tears, and you are helping to fill up the pool he plans to swim in.

Seriously, this subject comes back waaaay too often in any WoT thread on any forum. Many solutions have been proposed so far, none seems to have been listened to.

I personally don't mind getting hit by arty once in a while but I can understand why purple players hate it, since they are more likely to be a target if an arty player has the proper mod. However, I still think that artillery is not nearly as big a problem as most people say. Getting shot is part of the game. Being shot by an invisible TD that you can't spot is no better than being shot at by an arty who will most likely not get to shoot again for another 30 to 40 second depending on his crew skill/modules. Most maps have plenty of cover and when used properly, will make artillery look for an easier target.

*braces for the incoming hate*

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

sauer kraut posted:

That's the first gameplay of WoWS I've seen yet, not even gonna bother until torps get removed.

This is a dumb thing to say. Bombers are much better than arty because you can see them coming and both shoot them down and take steps to dodge them actively rather than just trying to drive evasively when you're spotted. There are also Escorts on your team and Fighters from your own CVs which may help you in shooting them down - and being shot at can disrupt the torpedo launch even if it doesn't kill many/all of the bombers.

The only thing I think that might need changed is to add a short "arming range" so you can't manually drop torps right on top of enemy ships.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Illegal Carrot posted:

:agreed: Effortpost incoming.
Abloo bloo bloo

Or you could just except that it's a lovely mechanic you personally don't like but then recognise it's a lovely mechanic in a game you still play. Yes there are times when you get shat on and curse the sky cancer, and then there's the other times you are about to be face raped by someone when BOOM they disappear in a fine mist and all is well with the world. My only gripe would be maybe hard cap at 3 per side.

I won't say it's perfect or enhances game-play, and if they removed it altogether I wouldn't be unhappy, but it's pretty livable as it is.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Dalael posted:

Being shot by an invisible TD that you can't spot is no better than being shot at by an arty who will most likely not get to shoot again for another 30 to 40 second depending on his crew skill/modules. Most maps have plenty of cover and when used properly, will make artillery look for an easier target.
Exactly. But it's at least possible to have fun playing as/against a TD, and there's a fair bit of counterplay involved. When an arty hits, the player that gets hit get upset that they took some bullshit damage from across the map. When an arty misses, the arty players get upset because the shot they just spent 2 minutes setting up whiffed. No one is having any fun on either side of the equation, and arty contributes absolutely nothing meaningful to the game. I'm just wondering if there's any official stance or statement on the matter (even a "We'll deal with it eventually"), or if it'll just be forever ignored since it's not an issue on the Russian servers, because literally anything would be better than what we currently have.

literally this big fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Feb 5, 2015

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Also, in botes, cruisers make outstanding escorts for BBs, especially against torpedo bombers.

OP, thanks so much for those translated history posts about the tanks. It's been fun reading. I laughed my rear end off at how the Tiger family needed to remove the turret to get at the gearbox. The Germans don't change. My BMW motorcycle requires me to remove the gas tank to get at the battery.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Tank history question: Does anyone have any quotes of a WWII German general, or even a tank commander, saying the Panther is a good tank and they are glad to have it over the PzIV?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Darkrenown posted:

Tank history question: Does anyone have any quotes of a WWII German general, or even a tank commander, saying the Panther is a good tank and they are glad to have it over the PzIV?

Hasso von Manteuffel, commander of the 7th Panzer Division, was interviewed by Basil Liddell Hart after the war for his book The Other Side of the Hill (1948).

"Tanks must be fast. That, I would say, is the most important lesson of the war in regard to tank design. The Panther was on the right lines, as a prototype." "...Fire-power, armour protection, speed and cross-country performance are the essentials, and the best type of tank is that which combines these conflicting requirements with most success. In my opinion the German Panzer V, the 'Panther', was the most satisfactory of all, and would have been dose to the ideal had it been possible to design with a lower silhouette."

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Illegal Carrot posted:

The absurd part is that artillery has changed so little since then, despite all the money, feedback, and resources WG has acquired over the years.

What about the massive accuracy, bloom, and travel time nerf? I can't remember the exact patch but I want to say 0.8.0 or late 0.7.x? It's a valid view to hold that arty was and is broken, but it has definitely changed a good deal since being the absolute game-breaking terror it used to be.

quote:

I know nobody gives a poo poo about my opinion on this, but here we go: Start by increasing arty's splash area of effect, lowering it's HP damage, increasing its module damage, and further decreasing its accuracy. Suddenly arty is less reliant on waiting 10+ seconds to perfectly aim its shots, is less likely to one-shot enemy vehicles, is less likely to score direct hits, is still rewarded for near-hits, and is better able to help the team by causing module/crew damage (ie shearing off equipment and stunning the crew). In any given match, arty should play a similar role as a KV-2 does in a tier 8 match: to damage enemy modules and chip off HP, while the brawlers and front line fighter do most of the actual heavy lifting. On the other side of things, non-SPGs would be less likely to get directly hit by arty, less likely to get one-shot by arty, less afraid to expose themselves to indirect fire, and overall less upset when actually hit/damaged by artillery. Increase arty's rate of fire, and include Battle Assistant by default, to make arty slightly less god awful and boring to play. Include a whistling noise to incoming indirect fire (some sound mods do this already) by default, so players know when they should take cover, and when it's safe to move up. Then hard cap arty to a max of 2 per team. This all might not perfectly solve the problem, but it's drat sure way better than what we have now.

Interesting, but too RNG-dependent for me. Arty already requires much less skill than regular tanks, but these changes would drop the skill ceiling a lot more and I'm not sure I like that.

Dalael posted:

*braces for the incoming hate*

Don't do this. It's the worst sort of cringey 'self-aware' reddit poo poo and it makes it much harder to take your post seriously.

I agree with your points, though.

Saint Celestine posted:

Hasso von Manteuffel, commander of the 7th Panzer Division, was interviewed by Basil Liddell Hart after the war for his book The Other Side of the Hill (1948).

"Tanks must be fast. That, I would say, is the most important lesson of the war in regard to tank design. The Panther was on the right lines, as a prototype." "...Fire-power, armour protection, speed and cross-country performance are the essentials, and the best type of tank is that which combines these conflicting requirements with most success. In my opinion the German Panzer V, the 'Panther', was the most satisfactory of all, and would have been dose to the ideal had it been possible to design with a lower silhouette."

Wasn't the Panther transmission pretty terrible, though? I seem to remember a goon making a large effortpost on the Panther in the official forums that mentioned this, like it was so bad that you couldn't downshift without serious risk, or something like that. Or is that what von Manteuffel meant by 'as a prototype'?

rockopete fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Feb 5, 2015

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

argh doublepost

rockopete fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Feb 5, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Surprised Manteuffel was so happy with the Panther after he got wrecked at Arracourt, with the 4s doing most of the work for him.

sauer kraut posted:

If they don't use any of the many lines of defense available to them they probably deserve torps. Artillery lands before the target knows it, torps don't.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

xthetenth posted:

If they don't use any of the many lines of defense available to them they probably deserve torps. Artillery lands before the target knows it, torps don't.

Ok, so are there ships that specialize in AA?
Something cheap and not slow that makes a carrier players life miserable.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

rockopete posted:

Wasn't the Panther transmission pretty terrible, though? I seem to remember a goon making a large effortpost on the Panther in the official forums that mentioned this, like it was so bad that you couldn't downshift without serious risk, or something like that. Or is that what von Manteuffel meant by 'as a prototype'?

Yes, also the engine. The later ones, after the kinks were ironed out and power dialed back, were still only as reliable as MS-1 engines from the 1920s.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

sauer kraut posted:

Cruisers. And if a fast cruiser gets behind the lines, it can make mincemeat of both the carrier and her aircraft.

One interesting thing for me playing tanks is learning how the German tanks weren't really that great. They had their strengths, but so many glaring weaknesses as well.

Keksen
Oct 9, 2012

MoraleHazard posted:

Cruisers. And if a fast cruiser gets behind the lines, it can make mincemeat of both the carrier and her aircraft.

One interesting thing for me playing tanks is learning how the German tanks weren't really that great. They had their strengths, but so many glaring weaknesses as well.

I mean you're right, but I wouldn't go around drawing conclusions about real tanks from playing an arcade game that happens to use 3D models of those tanks.

Except in the case of the Churchill 3, which was the best tank of the war because it went slow but shot fast.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

sauer kraut posted:

One thing I realized is that you can't really go send bombers (torp or dive) against a group of BBs. At least with higher tier ships your planes get shredded if there's a group of ships with good AA.
This is actually one of the reasons I am looking forward to the Montana, it should have a silly amount of AA guns on it.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Ensign Expendable posted:

Yes, also the engine. The later ones, after the kinks were ironed out and power dialed back, were still only as reliable as MS-1 engines from the 1920s.

Right, and I'm reading something linked from your site that the final drive was so inadequate that the tank couldn't even turn while reversing. Yow.
http://tanksandafv.blogspot.ca/2014/02/panther-reliability.html

Also here's the WoT forums post I was thinking of, it was rossmum. Good post.

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/327199-our-problem-child-a-teardown-of-pzkpfw-v-panther/

rockopete fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 5, 2015

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

sauer kraut posted:

US cruisers (avoid the Cleveland and up like the plague), other carriers with the fighter loadout, massed midtier and up battleships.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

sarmhan posted:

The only thing more entertaining than Space Battleship Yamato is what happened to the real Yamato.

Speaking of WoWS testers and terrible people:

Hey now I have three rather large monitors and no anime hanging everywhere. I do however have a 55 gallon aquarium in my office, but that does not lump me in with Higgle.. he's another of my 'not favorites' along with biogrip and Barnacle Bill.

MoraleHazard posted:

Send your DE's and a cruiser into their backfield asap. Use the smoke screen to your advantage while the bigger ships are busy evading or trying to kill the DE's then appear from the smoke guns blazing. That has worked well for us so far. If they have multiple carriers it can get twisty but still effective.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 5, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

demonR6 posted:

Send your DE's and a cruiser into their backfield asap. Use the smoke screen to your advantage while the bigger ships are busy evading or trying to kill the DE's then appear from the smoke guns blazing. That has worked well for us so far. If they have multiple carriers it can get twisty but still effective.

DD :mil101:

DE was Destroyer Escort, and there aren't any of those in the current Destroyer tree to my best recollection

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Cleveland was my goal ship for the weekend, and sweet Allah it ripped through planes.

Keksen posted:

I mean you're right, but I wouldn't go around drawing conclusions about real tanks from playing an arcade game that happens to use 3D models of those tanks.

Except in the case of the Churchill 3, which was the best tank of the war because it went slow but shot fast.

I don't draw conclusions from the game, just reading the real-world history of the tanks in the game.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

So whats the best artillery tech tree to complete the missions? I haven't played artillery since beta because clickers are subhuman scum.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
It depends on the missions, if it's a kill or assist mission with low numbers the LeFH is really good. I personally favor my T92 for other missions even tough it gets outplayed by the M55 these days, I've used my BC and O261 for some of them as well. I guess just pick the arty you're most familiar with.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

NTRabbit posted:

DD :mil101:

DE was Destroyer Escort, and there aren't any of those in the current Destroyer tree to my best recollection

You are right.. DD's, I keep thinking DE's because of an active discussion in the Alpha forums about adding/not adding them. :D

MoraleHazard posted:

Cleveland was my goal ship for the weekend, and sweet Allah it ripped through planes.

Plus you get to troll people after you kill them with "You just got a Cleveland Steamer.."

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Animal posted:

So whats the best artillery tech tree to complete the missions? I haven't played artillery since beta because clickers are subhuman scum.

The tier VII GW Panther in the German line is handy for this, with a massive (60 degree?) traverse thanks to its semi-turret, 0.7 accuracy which is among the best at that tier and above, and the full variety of ammo--3m radius HE, HEAT, and 5m radius HE. As artillery goes, it's one of the least painful to play. The IX and X French have .02 better accuracy but crap splash and the same alpha as the GW but 2-3 tiers higher, and the tier X Soviet Obj 261 has .06 better accuracy but a tiny traverse and a very low arc.
Downside is that it doesn't quite have the alpha for some of the T-55 and Obj260 missions, and rest of the German line is only so-so.

e: also, SPG mission 6 for the 260 requires your arty to do damage to vehicles 2 tiers higher than yours, so even if you wanted to do everything in a tier X, you wouldn't be able to. There may not be a single tree that works best for these missions...

rockopete fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 5, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Seriously, is there anyone more butthurt than goons who are forced to have their delicate senses violated by anything anime? :allears:
Sure there are some really pathetic people who are into it too much, but considering the thread we're in goons do not really have any moral high ground beyond "tanks are less creepy than cartoon highschool girls". :shrug:

Anyway I'm really looking forward to the closed beta when I can begin boteing again. Hopefully it won't be too long.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

rockopete posted:

The tier VII GW Panther in the German line is handy for this, with a massive (60 degree?) traverse thanks to its semi-turret, 0.7 accuracy which is among the best at that tier and above, and the full variety of ammo--3m radius HE, HEAT, and 5m radius HE. As artillery goes, it's one of the least painful to play. The IX and X French have .02 better accuracy but crap splash and the same alpha as the GW but 2-3 tiers higher, and the tier X Soviet Obj 261 has .06 better accuracy but a tiny traverse and a very low arc.
Downside is that it doesn't quite have the alpha for some of the T-55 and Obj260 missions, and rest of the German line is only so-so.

e: also, SPG mission 6 for the 260 requires your arty to do damage to vehicles 2 tiers higher than yours, so even if you wanted to do everything in a tier X, you wouldn't be able to. There may not be a single tree that works best for these missions...

I'd be willing to wager that the M53/55 is the answer to every artillery mission bar a few niche circumstance, ie no such thing as tier 11 to shoot at

demonR6 posted:

You are right.. DD's, I keep thinking DE's because of an active discussion in the Alpha forums about adding/not adding them. :D

While there were some iconic ships that were DEs, and they would be a cool other branch to have - post-war the USN renamed the class to Frigate - their primary and almost solitary purpose was ASW, which isn't in game. Still say they'd work as lower tier destroyers leading to the proper ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
Hmm, that amx 30 is starting to look better

DPM buffed from 2392,4 to 2741,9
Accuracy: 0,288
Aimtime: 2,01s