Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

thespaceinvader posted:

It wasn't that they were useless, ever, it was that they were useless, now. I got two 'do X for a worker' cards after I had all my workers, when my opponent got 'pay 9 money for 3 points'. Does the expansion fix this?

We're probably playing at least some of the expansion tomorrow so I guess I'll find out!

Yes, sorry, I meant "useless then". The "get a new worker" cards have as options "make wine tokens", "get 1 VP for each opponent with 6 workers", "get 2 VP if you have all 6 workers".

And a space on the board upgrade lets you exchange 2 cards for 1 VP or 3 coins or a 1-grape token, interchangeably, so even when cards are situationally useless they're not absolutely useless.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Sounds good to me.

Will definitely advocate for the expansion, but I suspect we'd be better doing at least one more base game to get our heads properly round it.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
Long shot, but are there any decent games that'd hold up and not struggle to be played on a 4 hour bus trip?

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Coup and Love Letter will work fine (I've played them while standing on a train), but won't fill 4 hours.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

demota posted:

Long shot, but are there any decent games that'd hold up and not struggle to be played on a 4 hour bus trip?

Play Through the Ages online. I assume you all have smartphones, it's free and relatively data-light. http://boardgaming-online.com/

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

The first couple games I played with this, I made the mistake of leaving out the Separatist since I thought it might simplify things a bit. DO NOT DO THIS. The threat of the Separatist is essential for game balance, since otherwise people would be toeing the line of revolution and may just choose not to fulfill crises. It definitely changes the dynamics of the game when there exists a possibility that your selfishness is helping to further someone's end game.

You can omit the Separatist if you keep goals face-down. Tanking the game only makes sense if you're fairly certain you're losing (especially unlikely with new players). Using the Benefactor trend cards helps too.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So what is a good number of players for Samurai Spirit? Playing with just 2 didn't really seem to click that well (didnt help we were expecting just Ghost Stories but with Samurai and not MATH)

Also the rules themselves seem pretty simple, but in regards to when you add in the new cards (the 5s and 6s) do you use the exact same cards you played the last round with or do you draw a whole new set and then add in the new ones?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PerniciousKnid posted:

You can omit the Separatist if you keep goals face-down.

You may want to reread the rules. It is explicitly stated that objectives are the most secret piece of information in the game and must never be revealed to another player unless the objective is achieved.

nonatomic retain
May 25, 2003
[[title alloc] init];
title.value = @"Title";
[title show:(GLKView*) view];
[title dealloc];
title = nil;
Had an opportunity to play Deus tonight. I'm not sure I see what everyone else sees in it - it just seemed like a card churner with a fair amount of luck of the draw. Anyone else have experience with it?

I have to say, I'm normally a medium-to-heavy Euro player, and this year's Essen games haven't been particularly inspiring. Orleans is pretty good, The Golden Ages is decent - most of the other stuff I've tried has been mediocre at best, including Feld's two new games, which was a huge disappointment. Hoping to get The Staufer Dynasty played soon to see how that is.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Jedit posted:

You may want to reread the rules. It is explicitly stated that objectives are the most secret piece of information in the game and must never be revealed to another player unless the objective is achieved.

I was responding to someone responding to someone suggesting that the teaching game of Archipelago be played with face-up objectives as a variant, or at least that's how I interpreted their post. That's why I specified face-down objectives.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Can you elaborate on what you liked and didn't like about Orleans? I backed the kickstarter recently based on good, vague word of moth.

I played Deus recently and while I liked it, it's not something I would buy without additional purchases. Discarding cards for resources seems good but it is still possible to get screwed by the deck, I think.

SolitarySolidarity
Dec 29, 2012

Evolve. Control. Combine.
The Merchants & Marauders expansion looks pretty cool. Some of the elements remind me of Sid Meier's Pirates!

Did M&M get trashed in this thread? I'm tempted to get it. I don't mind having some dice rolling and random elements once in a while.

nonatomic retain
May 25, 2003
[[title alloc] init];
title.value = @"Title";
[title show:(GLKView*) view];
[title dealloc];
title = nil;

Impermanent posted:

Can you elaborate on what you liked and didn't like about Orleans? I backed the kickstarter recently based on good, vague word of moth.

Orleans is a solid bag-builder with a lot of good ideas - a little area control, a little racing, and several different paths to victory. I'm not a huge fan of the way all the buildings are on offer every game - seems like that makes it too easy to get in a rut strategy-wise. Apart from that, it's easy to teach, easy to understand, but with enough play space to explore for at least a few trips to the table. Stockhausen has already said that there are expansions in the works, which will hopefully keep it from getting too repetitive.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

nonatomic retain posted:

Orleans is a solid bag-builder with a lot of good ideas - a little area control, a little racing, and several different paths to victory. I'm not a huge fan of the way all the buildings are on offer every game - seems like that makes it too easy to get in a rut strategy-wise. Apart from that, it's easy to teach, easy to understand, but with enough play space to explore for at least a few trips to the table. Stockhausen has already said that there are expansions in the works, which will hopefully keep it from getting too repetitive.

This description makes me glad I backed, to be honest.
I think the bit of randomness without mega dice is a good step up for my friends...and there is enough that I'll have fun figuring out different strategies.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So what is a good number of players for Samurai Spirit? Playing with just 2 didn't really seem to click that well (didnt help we were expecting just Ghost Stories but with Samurai and not MATH)

Also the rules themselves seem pretty simple, but in regards to when you add in the new cards (the 5s and 6s) do you use the exact same cards you played the last round with or do you draw a whole new set and then add in the new ones?
I feel like it's best with 4-5 players. 6-7 works but can take too long unless you really stress that people should take their turns and keep moving without a lot of groupthink. With 2-3 players you don't have enough Samurai powers to be an effective team.

The raider deck stays static from round to round. You just add in the 5's and 6's to the existing deck of cards. This is actually good, because you can pay attention to the number of each defense icon on the first day, and then plan for any of them that seem to be rare.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Double-posting, but who cares.

I got to play Xcom: The Board Game with a 4-player group tonight.

I had a lot of fun, but you really need players who won't freak out when under a time constraint. One of my players kept locking up because he wouldn't look at his board setup until it was time for him to take an action, which really screwed us over. He then complained that he didn't like being stressed by a board game (so no Space Alert for him, I guess). The other players seemed down with the game.

Xcom is legit hard. It hits you with threats from all sides, and it really doesn't let up. Our Commander was freaking out when we drew five threat cards all in the same round. Seriously, that was brutal.

We lost horribly due to a combination of not dealing with UFO's early, and having absolutely horrific die rolls the first few turns. We had to spend a turn ignoring research and missions just so we'd have money to rebuild our Interceptor force. I think we could have won with better early planning, but the game is really dice-y, and there's only so much mitigation you can do if the dice aren't going your way.

I hope to play again this weekend. I'll probably review it for MeepleTown, so I can post here if anyone's interested in reading it.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

SolitarySolidarity posted:

The Merchants & Marauders expansion looks pretty cool. Some of the elements remind me of Sid Meier's Pirates!

Did M&M get trashed in this thread? I'm tempted to get it. I don't mind having some dice rolling and random elements once in a while.

I really like it and I know a couple other goons around here dig it too. I feel like it has some balance issues but in terms of making you feel like a fuckin' pirate its hard to beat.

Is there a preview of the expansion available anywhere?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Have only seen this on their facebook so far, but apparently Repos is putting out alternate-art versions of the original seven Wonders for...7 Wonders specifically to be used as tournament prizes. I had no idea there was a 7 Wonders tournament scene.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
I also bought and played the XCOM Board Game and I can echo my praise toward it. The game is brutal, the time phases can be pretty chaotic, prone to bad decisions made because oh god you have just five seconds left on the timer. We played a game on the tutorial difficulty, at 3 people. We followed the game's suggestion that the Commander plays also the Central Officer -- poor man had a lot on his hands to do, but it worked out fine.

Mind you, we still lost, horribly. One turn was just four alert cards, I played the Chief Scientist and had awful rolls, and the Squad Leader had several total squad wipes worthy of the best XCOM games and lost most of his soldiers on Turn 2. We never really recovered, despite our best efforts, and lost to two countries going into all-out panic on Turn 5. We still blew apart them 3 Muton attacking the base, mind you. Weapon upgrades are VERY useful.

I can't wait to replay this again with 4 people. I'm slightly bummed, however, that apparently your base's starting location is dependent on what Invasion Plan you choose, but I suppose they're adapted to specific plans.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

jivjov posted:

Have only seen this on their facebook so far, but apparently Repos is putting out alternate-art versions of the original seven Wonders for...7 Wonders specifically to be used as tournament prizes. I had no idea there was a 7 Wonders tournament scene.

Finding out there was a ticket to ride world championship and that in the last one some guy cheated in it somehow blew my mind.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ChiTownEddie posted:

This description makes me glad I backed, to be honest.
I think the bit of randomness without mega dice is a good step up for my friends...and there is enough that I'll have fun figuring out different strategies.

The best thing about Orleans is that the level of randomness escalates gradually and can be controlled. Turn 1 is perfectly symmetric; turn 2 is totally non-random; depending what you do turn 3 can be completely non-random as well, or only slightly random. After that, you are using more workers than you can draw unless you cull them via the Rathaus - but the more workers you cull, the fewer actions you can take.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
My girlfriend's brother has just got out of hospital after being treated for cronic cluster headaches. We bought him the XCOM board game as a get well present.

He doesn't deal with stress at the best of times, but he tried playing it solo last night and ended up back at a 7 on his pain scale where 5 is a migraine.

I guess it truly does simulate the difficulties and stress of saving the world from alien invasion.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

nonatomic retain posted:

Had an opportunity to play Deus tonight. I'm not sure I see what everyone else sees in it - it just seemed like a card churner with a fair amount of luck of the draw. Anyone else have experience with it?

I thought it was a decent combo-builder, though I can see someone getting a good/bad draw early on and the game running away from there. I liked what I played, but I'd want to give it a couple more plays first to see how balanced it is before I'd recommend it to people.

The Libearian
Nov 24, 2007
Return your books or face mauling
Heya, we played our first game of kemet last night and had a lot of fun. Probably a stupid question, but with the power tiles are their effects ongoing or is it just for the turn /action you use them?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Ongoing. They are yours forever and no one else can have them.

EDIT: VP tiles are only worth 1VP, you don't get extra on following turns. That would be stretching the definition of "ongoing", but just in case.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Avalon Hill recieved a letter from a scientist with a PhD (who was also an Avalon Hill fan) complaining he couldn't understand the rules.

Arnm616 posted:

I have recently been getting into board gaming and have been slowly introducing new friend groups to a few different games. I'm at the point now where I have a consistent 6-8 people who want to meet every week or so and the game that has been best received so far is 7 Wonders. My friends love 7 Wonders but I am getting a bit burned out on it so I'm looking for something else to add to my collection that can scale easily from 3-7 players, is fairly easy to learn but tough to master, and has some variety to it. Any suggestions?

Magic Realm?

Arnm616 posted:

...is fairly easy to learn...

Oh, never mind.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Rutibex posted:

Agricola only supports 5 even with the expansion, Caverna actually supports up to 7 so that might be a good choice.

I like that you are more ashamed of the Heroquest than the Pokemon.

The big thing to remember is just because a game says it supports up to X doesn't mean it's any fun with that many.

Chill la Chill posted:

Finding out there was a ticket to ride world championship and that in the last one some guy cheated in it somehow blew my mind.

I looked into it and it seems he somehow played extra turns. I don't know how something like that wouldn't be caught as it happened.

disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Avalon Hill recieved a letter from a scientist with a PhD (who was also an Avalon Hill fan) complaining he couldn't understand the rules.

SolitarySolidarity posted:

Merchants & Marauders is very divisive, I love it but some gamers I've played it with (and some on this thread) dislike or hate it.

It's an thematic Ameritrash pirate game, the Sid Meier's Pirates! comparison is apt. I love the freedom it gives the player. A couple flaws: the glory cards include a few that negate player actions (I attack your ship, no you don't I escape) and the port actions are long and complex. I was thinking about printing out a step-by-step guide for port actions for the next time I play.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

disperse posted:

Merchants & Marauders is very divisive, I love it but some gamers I've played it with (and some on this thread) dislike or hate it.

It's an thematic Ameritrash pirate game, the Sid Meier's Pirates! comparison is apt. I love the freedom it gives the player. A couple flaws: the glory cards include a few that negate player actions (I attack your ship, no you don't I escape) and the port actions are long and complex. I was thinking about printing out a step-by-step guide for port actions for the next time I play.

It seems like being a pirate was incredibly rough as you get locked out of things pretty quickly. Has that been your experience or was I (probably) playing it incorrectly?

The Libearian
Nov 24, 2007
Return your books or face mauling

Fat Samurai posted:

Ongoing. They are yours forever and no one else can have them.

EDIT: VP tiles are only worth 1VP, you don't get extra on following turns. That would be stretching the definition of "ongoing", but just in case.

Cheers. It was more the "+1 to whatever stat " we were wondering about

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.

Sloober posted:

I looked into it and it seems he somehow played extra turns. I don't know how something like that wouldn't be caught as it happened.

Every table did apparently have a referee, but the guy's excuse was that what probably happened is he drew two cards just out of reflex, paused to consider his next move then had one of those "Wait, what was I doing?" moments and drew two more cards thinking he hadn't taken his turn yet. This wasn't picked up by his opponents or the referee due to the mental exhaustion of everyone involved, this was the final game is a very long day of nothing but Ticket to Ride and everyone was tired apparently.

It was only picked up because someone was watching it on a live web feed and noticed he'd played too many cards for the number of turns taken.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

The Libearian posted:

Cheers. It was more the "+1 to whatever stat " we were wondering about

The most important rule my group missed the first time around was no duplicate powers, regardless of tile color.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I listened to the latest SU&SD podcast on my ride into work and it dawned on me that when Quinns says "It was hilarious" in reference to a game they played it if his synonym for "It was fun" as the reason (thing) was hilarious was due to the people he was playing with and typically not the game itself.

Nothing earth shattering, I will now tend to discount any game that SU&SD recommends because anything about it was "hilarious".

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

disperse posted:

I was thinking about printing out a step-by-step guide for port actions for the next time I play.

Did you buy your copy used or was their a big reprint of the game or something? My box came with four copies of a quick reference sheet that includes every detail of the port action.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Has anyone heard anything about when the Tash Kalar reprints are supposed to be available in the US? I pre-ordered from CSI a while back but it still just says early 2015. Haven't seen any copies locally either.

Zylen
Mar 25, 2005

The third time, the exception becomes the rule
I'm on a bit of a board game bender at the moment, having bought Netrunner at the beginning of January, Doomtown last weekend and both Tash Kalar and Mage Knight should be arriving tomorrow.

Now I'm a huge fan of Vlaada Chvatil, already owning Space Alert and Galaxy Trucker, so I'm pretty excited for the new arrivals. However I was wondering if there are any tips or things I need know before the boyfriend and I dive in - most likely with regards to Mage Knight?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

CGE tweeted that Alchemists and Tash-Kalar should be off the boat soon, but that was a few weeks ago. I think I read somewhere that their crate has been stuck in customs for a month :(. I'm right there with you on waiting for TK

SolitarySolidarity
Dec 29, 2012

Evolve. Control. Combine.
I'm glad to see some positive reception. I love the theme and Pirates! is brilliant so I think this one will be in my next order. I'll grab the Universal Head player reference so I can avoid some of the confusion.

Flippycunt posted:

I really like it and I know a couple other goons around here dig it too. I feel like it has some balance issues but in terms of making you feel like a fuckin' pirate its hard to beat.

Is there a preview of the expansion available anywhere?

There's an overview of the Seas of Glory expansion here that was released on Feb 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Merchants and Marauders is a game I own, played about 5 times, and have had sessions of varying quality. It does make you feel like a pirate, but it's also really really really insanely random and dicey. It's one of those games where if you play it with 4 players, one guy might sail to victory (literally) and another guy might spend the game being a punk and unable to do anything all because of bad draws and bad rolls. I would advise anyone considering it to try to get a play in beforehand, because I don't mind the dice but a couple of my friends do and they probably wouldn't play this again.