Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
The MR2 got jealous, so I gave it some much needed attention:

There's a lot of room in here now, despite all the junk and poor placement:

Anywho, on to ball joints and tie rods, the only loving servicable parts I haven't replaced on this god damned front end gently caress.

Well this wasn't supposed to happen:

Whatever we got there eventually:

The damage:

YAY NEW PARTS:

Jeep, and turbo swap, tomorrow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

:siren: HALF-TIME UPDATE :siren:

We have literally worked for one hour and we have the turbo out of this thing.

They went to go get food as I was wrestling with the oil return line, so here I am posting to Something Awful instead of being social.

You may remember this car (and butt) from a downpipe job a while back:

Taking the intercooler off:

So much room for activities. Now we can focus on the turbo:

Under the car, all the downpipe bolts off:

And the downpipe followed quickly:

Turbo out:

Parts collection:

More pictures? More descriptions? Feedback is appreciated.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
What are you putting in for a replacement turbo?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Such a cute widdle turbo. Just want to pinch it's compressor housing.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

VF43 going in? I dunno the specs but it doesn't exactly look any bigger. We're wrapping up the install now and I'll upload the side-by-side picture of them.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Yep so coming out was TD04 turbo (I guess they're also called 16G?) and going in was a VF-43. here's a comparison shot:

New turbo in the back. I guess the compressor side is around the same size, though the throat looks a bit larger...

Turbine side comparison (whoops spoiler alert):

Anywho, new turbo in:

Downpipe back on:

Everything buttoned up:

Payment:

And the beer fridge:

It seems I haven't been drinking nearly enough lately.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Adiabatic posted:

And the beer fridge:

It seems I haven't been drinking nearly enough lately.

Did...

Did someone pay you with Miller loving Lite?

:commissar:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

That is actually our very own iForge's Miller Lite :v:

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Adiabatic posted:

That is actually our very own iForge's Miller Lite :v:

I didn't bring miller lite, just that captain morgan :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

MrYenko posted:

Did...

Did someone pay you with Miller loving Lite?

:commissar:

He has to keep something for the peasants to drink so they don't get into his tasty delicious beer.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Yep so coming out was TD04 turbo (I guess they're also called 16G?) and going in was a VF-43.
The stock turbo in the 02-08 WRX is a Mitsubishi TD04L-13T. You're installing a previous-generation USDM STI turbo (the IHI VF43, 07 STI).

The latter number-letter combination in TD04-13T indicates the wheel setup; there is also a TD04-19T which, while not supplied by Subaru in any production car to the best of my knowledge, spools a little faster and is a little better matched to a 2.0L WRX than the stock turbo. It's not really worth it if you have a 2.5L WRX like the one shown (06-07) pushing on it though.

The TD04 spools really fast (ridiculously so with the proper gearing) but has very little top-end puff, while the VF43 spools almost as fast and has a little more top-end before it runs out of steam.

I think the L means "rotated," but I'm not sure.

A "16G" turbo is DSM-ese for their own popular Mitsubishi TD05H-16G turbo upgrade, which I don't think is the same thing. No idea what the "H" means. Some JDM WRXes had TD05s as well, but who cares about those, you guys drive on the right side of the road.

Usually when you upgrade to the STI turbo you also want to run the STI intercooler, which your victim has already done. Give them a hearty handshake and good luck with the remap.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 1, 2015

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Highlife was the house wine at the shop I did time with for awhile. Not really enough to get you drunk unless it was the end of the day with no lunch.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Anyone who brings Miller Lite should be banned from your lift/garage. And if they're a forums poster, well, I hope they have an extra :10bux:

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

SuperDucky posted:

Anyone who brings Miller Lite should be banned from your lift/garage. And if they're a forums poster, well, I hope they have an extra :10bux:

So I shouldn't bring some Milwaukee's BEAST when I stop by?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Every beer has it's place. Nobody ever wants a big heavy stout when they're sweating under a car on a concrete floor, that's what miller lite is for. Sometimes you want a full three day weekends-worth of beer but you don't want to pay over $60 for craft beer. 60 coors lights comes in at about $40, and you also don't need water any more.
:smug:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
but bar urinals have more alcohol content.

and probably better taste

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Astonishing Wang posted:

Every beer has it's place. Nobody ever wants a big heavy stout when they're sweating under a car on a concrete floor
I hear what you're saying, and that's when you buy a mass produced German lager or wheat beer.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

There's a reason I ask for Yuengling quite a bit. Nice and light with a good taste and the price of Coors.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Adiabatic posted:

There's a reason I ask for Yuengling quite a bit. Nice and light with a good taste and the price of Coors.

If Kastein is coming down, have him bring you some Narragansett.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Shampoo posted:

If Kastein is coming down, have him bring you some Narragansett.

Yuengling crushes gansett hands down.

Every beer has it's place. I go from fancy sours / IPAs to Schlitz pretty quickly.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Slow is Fast posted:

Yuengling crushes gansett hands down.

Every beer has it's place. I go from fancy sours / IPAs to Schlitz pretty quickly.

If you brought me fancy sours I wouldn't mind in fact id probably like it

Edit also holy poo poo if you and kastein come down we need to go to Mekong. It's ten minutes from my place and they normally have at least ten random sour beers.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 2, 2015

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Double postin!

Went to the junkyard yesterday morning and found a nice surprise:

It had a 5 speed, 4WD, and bucket seats. If only I could've towed it away...

Went to Richmond's gun show afterwards and picked up this hunk a junk:

Here's my buddy cheesing with it. he's an AR-15 fan...

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
AKs are fun because they are dead rear end simple and the ammo is as cheap as miller lite.

I have an SKS and its just fun to pop 10 rounds through it because Merica

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

If you brought me fancy sours I wouldn't mind in fact id probably like it

Edit also holy poo poo if you and kastein come down we need to go to Mekong. It's ten minutes from my place and they normally have at least ten random sour beers.

When I get down there next I'm bringing you some baller allagash poo poo.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Slow is Fast posted:

When I get down there next I'm bringing you some baller allagash poo poo.

Oh man allagash is the poo poo. I was chugging triple ale at an Oktoberfest one year and blacked out. Found out later it was like 9% but it so didnt taste like it. Good poo poo.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Land Rovers were a false flag operation. The real bane of my loving existence is the new VW GTI.

Oil catch cans are supposed to be loving easy right?

Here's one that took 2 hours and some cussing and blood to put in:

This is apparently a PCV valve:

This is where it goes:

This is what the engine looked like before I lit it on loving fire:

These are a bunch of dumbasses complaining about a rear sway bar install that I also want to light on fire:

I want so, so many things dead right now.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

My God as happy go lucky as I've seen you up against various cars the GTI must be loving horrible to have you in this mood.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

It's more that I thought it was going to be super easy and it turned into a shitshow due to the packaging on the line routing to the intake hose against the firewall.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

gently caress that VW and gently caress those idiots who can't do a simple sway bar job.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
You're starting to sound like my old shade-tree shop owner that I worked with for a few years :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You kill any burglars yet with your AK?

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

Man, on the 06 - 08.5 GTI the PCV is a plate on the front of the head that's way easier to work with, I just replaced mine with a block off plate not too long ago. I guess part of "fixing" the oil consumption issues with the later engines was that PCV redesign.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Adiabatic posted:

It's more that I thought it was going to be super easy and it turned into a shitshow due to the packaging on the line routing to the intake hose against the firewall motherfucking Volkswagen.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Hansolio posted:

Man, on the 06 - 08.5 GTI the PCV is a plate on the front of the head that's way easier to work with, I just replaced mine with a block off plate not too long ago. I guess part of "fixing" the oil consumption issues with the later engines was that PCV redesign.

Y'all are missing the point that a PCV valve is supposed to look like this:

Not that horse-poo poo German hot mess.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Adiabatic posted:

It's more that I thought it was going to be super easy and it turned into a shitshow due to the packaging on the line routing to the intake hose against the firewall.

The PCV Valve on a 06 ish ford focus can go right up there. Except its under the manifold. 2.1 hour book time gently caress you.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Let me tell you about the PCV on the Volvo 850...:kheldragar:

Please note the replacement intake manifold gasket.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 4, 2015

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Terrible Robot posted:

Came to post this. gently caress that job on the V70R. Timing belt took under an hour though.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Terrible Robot posted:

Volvo's PCV/Flame Trap systems have always seemed like an overcomplicated, overengineered hot Swedish mess.

piss boner
May 17, 2003

Preoptopus posted:

The PCV Valve on a 06 ish ford focus can go right up there. Except its under the manifold. 2.1 hour book time gently caress you.

And #4 doesn't come with the easily broken #3. Ask me how I know. Go on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylineboy08
Nov 12, 2010

Terrible Robot posted:

I paid someone to do this. :v: