Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Brian Williams admitted he made up a story from the Iraq war:

http://www.stripes.com/nbc-s-brian-williams-recants-iraq-story-after-soldiers-protest-1.327792

He already apologized on-air tonight. But that's probably not gonna be enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Has anyone heard the latest talking point tonight?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Matt Walsh posted:

I couldn't control your body even if I wanted to; I lack the technological capabilities.

Can somebody explain to me what this means?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

It's always good to start with an image of who is typing this poo poo

Tbh I thought this was pajamas obamacare guy

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Let me tell you about the technological singularity...

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Liberals are the ones who really want to control women's bodies. As a white frat boy I am an expert on the menstrual cycle....

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Kenzie posted:

I wasn't talking about his skin color.

I know that; you were saying it's a problem with the photo, not the painting.

So I say let's colour-correct the painting to Jindal's actual skin tone, and see if that theory holds up; because I assure you, washed out the photo is not.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

He's disingenuously arguing that because he cannot literally control your body like a puppet on strings you cannot then say that people who want to ban abortion are trying to control your body.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

icantfindaname posted:

It just struck me it's very similar to fascist iconography. I would put money on there being some extremist right group out there using a very similar symbol

Nah, it is absolutely standard christian imagery. Been in use for forever, by all kinds of mainline christian groups, it isn't even some freaky 3%er dominionist thing. Been around since early church, and everybody uses it, Episcopalians, Lutherans, all kinds of nice, normal, gay-marrying just folks dominations have PX all over all their stuff.

Yes, it is Roman, and yes, Italian Fascists were big dorks for Roman imagery, but it isn't fascist. Just very generically christian. Getting it tattooed on you is pretty much the same as butt-sex according to Leviticus though.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 5, 2015

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I was raised in the church across several denominations and have never even heard of this poo poo so I don't think it's nearly as common as you think.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

big mean giraffe posted:

I was raised in the church across several denominations and have never even heard of this poo poo so I don't think it's nearly as common as you think.

Dunno what to tell you, it is super common. Like right up there with the ichthus, alpha-omega, and the lamb of god. It is more typically decorating chasubles and various altar drapery, or on corner stones and stuff. Not tattooed on people wearing dumb hats.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 5, 2015

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

big mean giraffe posted:

Were any of those denominations Catholic or Orthodox? It's far more common there than with Protestants, I see it pretty frequently in Catholic churches.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

RadicalR posted:

How about breathing? Mr. President, just say you're for healthy breathing. That'll take out the GOP.

Already got that covered, see the EPA regulations and coal-rolling(pick-up trucks modded to spew black smoke).

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

DrProsek posted:

Were any of those denominations Catholic or Orthodox? It's far more common there than with Protestants, I see it pretty frequently in Catholic churches.

I expect that is it. If your vicar is not rocking vestments, than it might be a lot less on-view. Episcopalians and Lutherans for sure have a few on this or that.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 5, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I just mean in the sense that it's a visually striking symbol for a reactionary ideology. I'm aware it's a common Christian symbol, but it's interesting to think about why the fascists adopted that sort of imagery and how it's similar to this guy's ideology

Like I'm saying this is the genesis of the fascist logo. "It looks cool, it comes from the time I wish we could return to and it showcases how I'm gonna stick it to those drat liberals"

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 5, 2015

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Slo-Tek posted:

I expect that is it. If your vicar is not rocking vestments, than it might be a lot less on-view. Episcopalians and Lutherans for sure have a few on this or that.

I was raised similarly to bmg and I'd never seen that either. I also have no idea what a vicar or a vestment is so that probably explains it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

comes along bort posted:

Mid-2000s actually. The last big push was plagiarism in his doctoral dissertation. The shift to King as a Republican is very recent and arguably the best example of the tight messaging control the larger conservative world enjoys.

And it's a great example of the Big Lie at work. There's no evidence that MLK ever voted for a Republican, but a lot of liberals assume it was true because of the Southern Strategy and realignment. But by the time King came to prominence, that had already happened. He was non-partisan in identification but aligned with Democrats and campaigned for them.

quote:

When a Hollywood performer, lacking distinction even as an actor can become a leading war hawk candidate for the Presidency, only the irrationalities induced by a war psychosis can explain such a melancholy turn of events.

-guess who

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
That quote is from 1967, wow. Was Reagan really considered a viable Presidential candidate in his first year in office in California?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Also of note, I have heard conservative Christians interpret the verse "For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished" two different ways to be able to do what they want without experiencing dissonance. First is, of course, that every single one of the Old Testament laws are still valid - used to justify being a dick to everyone from adulterers, gays, tattoo-havers, and anyone else who would have been stoned to death in ancient Israel. The 2nd interpretation is that Jesus was pointing out how irrationally hung up on the law the Pharisees were (as in, the end of the world will happen sooner than the Pharisees deciding to be flexible on the law.) Used most often to justify enjoying bacon, shellfish, cotton-wool blends, tattoos, and anything else the Old Testament doesn't like, I have also heard my boss at work use it to justify his belief that singing at church is evil even though the Old Testament says "make a joyful noise" and has a whole book of psalms and a song about loving. (lol he is a neo-Puritan.) it's the ultimate FYGM interpretation of Jesus.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What Church doesn't have singing?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

McDowell posted:

Not sure his exact denomination but he went on to explain (not quite as directly) that if someone was good at singing and was singing a song of worship, the listener might enjoy what they were hearing because of the sound and not because of the message and that is a Bad Thing. Therefore nothing related to Jesus should be intrinsically enjoyable. (I guess if you REALLY loved Jesus anything related to him would be so much fun that any more fun would just distract you from your Jesus fun.)

That's why when some guy fell out of a window and died while one of the disciples was preaching, the disciple looked at his body and was like "gently caress THAT guy".

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Slo-Tek posted:

And it's not even ubiquitous in the Lutheran denomination, either. The Lutheran church I went to not only didn't have the symbol on anything, but the pastor referred to it as a "Catholic thing".

Having been raised Catholic, with the Chi-Rho on EVERYTHING, I didn't have much reason to argue.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

How are u posted:

He's disingenuously arguing that because he cannot literally control your body like a puppet on strings you cannot then say that people who want to ban abortion are trying to control your body.
Right. He's implying women can, on their own and without contraception, control whether or not they get pregnant. And liberals offering them birth control pills are only trying to weaken or control them.

It confused me at first too, until I realized it was just a roundabout way of saying, "Sluts should keep their legs shut."

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Vertical Lime posted:

http://www.stripes.com/nbc-s-brian-williams-recants-iraq-story-after-soldiers-protest-1.327792

Woof. That's not going to go well for him. It's actually pretty interesting how malleable our memories are, but no one's going to cut him any slack. He'll be labelled a LIEberal from now on.

On an unrelated note, I caught some Mark Levin on the ride home from work tonight. We was ranting about immigration and taking pointed shots at Jeb Bush. ... I really hope Jeb wins the nomination now.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lowercase16 posted:

He'll be labelled a LIEberal from now on.

He was already labeled this way, there were homophobic jokes about him and the President from day one. These people don't actually care, and liberals who play these 'troop' games are idiots. gently caress all of 'em especially in this climate, they don't deserve any decency.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

lowercase16 posted:

Woof. That's not going to go well for him. It's actually pretty interesting how malleable our memories are, but no one's going to cut him any slack. He'll be labelled a LIEberal from now on.
:magical:
On an unrelated note, I caught some Mark Levin on the ride home from work tonight. We was ranting about immigration and taking pointed shots at Jeb Bush. ... I really hope Jeb wins the nomination now.

Might it mean that we never get to hear the words of Mastershake again as he drops dead from a anger induced heart attack?:magical:

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

lowercase16 posted:

He'll be labelled a LIEberal from now on.

Brian Williams posted:

WILLIAMS: I do listen to Rush. I listen to it from a radio in my office, or depending on my day, if I'm in the car, I will listen to Rush. And he will tell you I've been listening for years. I think it's my duty to listen to Rush. I think Rush has actually yet to get the credit he is due, because his audience for so many years felt they were in the wilderness of this country. No one was talking to them.

[...]

Rush said to millions of Americans, you have a home. Come with me. For three hours a day you can listen and hear the like-minded calling in from across the country, and I'll read to you things perhaps you didn't see that are out there. I think Rush gave birth to the FOX News Channel. I think Rush helped to give birth to a movement. I think he played his part in the Contract with America. So I hope he gets his due as a broadcaster.

http://mediamatters.org/research/2005/01/24/nbc-nightly-news-anchor-brian-williams-thinks-l/132611

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

McDowell posted:

I have been to a funeral for someone whose church did not believe in instrumental accompaniment to hymns. It's just singing, nothing else.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Vertical Lime posted:

Was reading this and had a thought, what the gently caress happened to Jessica Lynch?
That other made up story, where the gently caress is she these days.
Wonder how much hush money it takes not to write a book or go public over it.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Feb 5, 2015

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

That quote is from 1967, wow. Was Reagan really considered a viable Presidential candidate in his first year in office in California?

There were movements from the right to get him nominated over Nixon in '68.

Badera
Jan 30, 2012

Student Brian Boyko has lost faith in America.

happyhippy posted:

Was reading this and had a thought, what the gently caress happened to Jessica Lynch?
That other made up story, where the gently caress is she these days.
Wonder how much hush money it takes not to write a book or go public over it.

She went to college for a while (I was in grad school at the time and occasionally saw her) and as far as I know now has a family and is living as an average citizen.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

skaboomizzy posted:

I have been to a funeral for someone whose church did not believe in instrumental accompaniment to hymns. It's just singing, nothing else.

My grandparents went to a church like this. A very tiny church in hicksville northern Michigan. It's pretty creepy IMO.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
A former co-worker was big into a church like that - lots of songs with no music whatsoever. IIRC, like most weird one-off churches, their whole justification was some interpretation of a single line in the Bible that made it seem as though music from instruments was the devil.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Hazo posted:

Right. He's implying women can, on their own and without contraception, control whether or not they get pregnant. And liberals offering them birth control pills are only trying to weaken or control them.

It confused me at first too, until I realized it was just a roundabout way of saying, "Sluts should keep their legs shut."

Not to mention that he's probably never been close to any woman who's had less than enjoyable periods. I remember late in high school that a lot of girls had just started taking birth control not as a pregnancy prevention measure, but because the cramping and everything else was just too much. Birth control was far more effective at stopping all this than just taking something like a Midol.

Oh wait, women are just supposed to enjoy those "gifts".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

robotsinmyhead posted:

A former co-worker was big into a church like that - lots of songs with no music whatsoever. IIRC, like most weird one-off churches, their whole justification was some interpretation of a single line in the Bible that made it seem as though music from instruments was the devil.

It's also an Islamic thing so I think it's more that music = people being wild = sex.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Fox and Friends: Frozen is bad for boys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqthM6eQDnI

and this line is a cherry on a top

quote:

Doocey also welcomed his female guest by saying, "thanks for having your children allow you to come be with us on TV while you're normally getting them ready for school and whatnot."

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Doocey also welcomed his female guest by saying, "thanks for having your children allow you to come be with us on TV while you're normally getting them ready for school and whatnot."

"Actually I took time off of work being the primary breadwinner of my family while my husband takes care of the children while working part time from home."

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Fox and Friends: Frozen is bad for boys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqthM6eQDnI

and this line is a cherry on a top

This makes me pretty sad because I thought Kristoff and Sven and even that stupid snowman were great male role models.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Brian Williams' explanations for this poo poo are hilaaaarious

I don't know how it happened but me hearing about something happening hours away somehow got conflated in my brain as something that happened to me. Please do not continue thinking about the ramifications a condition like that might have on my career as a newsman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I don't see how he can survive this.