Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

quote:

Kyle O'Quinn and Victor Oladipo are close friends. So when O'Quinn offered Oladipo a suggestion on what to do during All-Star Weekend's dunk contest, O'Quinn meant it sincerely, thinking it could help Oladipo win the event.

O'Quinn thinks Oladipo should borrow from the beloved Eddie Murphy movie "Coming to America."

"He wants me to come out as Prince Akeem and have rose bearers and the whole nine," Oladipo said Thursday. "I was like, 'That's not happening.' "

O'Quinn, a native of Queens, where "Coming to America" was supposed to take place, insists the idea would work.

"It's perfect," O'Quinn said. "The All-Star Game is in New York. Prince Akeem came to New York looking for a queen. So it's the perfect setting, you know what I'm saying? He's African. He could bring Semmi with him. He could jump over a Kia. It's perfect! It's a perfect set-up."

O'Quinn even would like to see someone sing "She's Your Queen," which actor Paul Bates sang in the movie in a high falsetto.

Oladipo dislikes O'Quinn's idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

aha Victor could see how this could go wrong, I like it smart move.

anyhow what he needs to do is dunk while singing because he's the best singer in the NBA by far, sorta like Evans' painting dunk but attractive and cool.

Tae posted:

Norris Cole inducted into dumbest turnovers Hall of Fame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seVaRfDua54

Rivaling Corey Maggette

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxhJvgKNUCI

And one of a few Lamar Odomisms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQtRXQpZHHg

JR's done it too but worse and different, walked out of bounds with an airball
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrgvBHS1hpE
CORNFEED DOT COM

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
Celebrity game field for anyone who's interested.

http://www.nba.com/2015/news/as.cel...&adbpr=25319414

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

I never know who any of the celebrity game people are. That's what keeps me from watching it.

The one celebrity game that I heard a lot about was one from the 2000s where I guess Richard Jefferson acted like the NBA player in a rec league game and tried to go off and it was embarrassing to watch. I need to see that.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
SI has a pretty good piece on MKG by Lee Jenkins.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

thompson posted:

No Arne Duncan? Well I'm not watching.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

thompson posted:

Oh wth they don't have that education administrator power forward that was dropping triple doubles the last two years.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

thompson posted:

Bachchan is kind of a A+ List celebrity back in India but all those other folks are footnotes and trivia

I wonder if it'll be a big deal in the Far East

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

euphronius posted:

I don't think the per 36 numbers are relevant in this case. Don't know why they added those.

They're relevant in highlighting the best rim protectors? If you want to see who has the most per game it's easy to check. Guys getting starters minutes do more than rotation bigs.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Igor Strelkov posted:

They're relevant in highlighting the best rim protectors? If you want to see who has the most per game it's easy to check. Guys getting starters minutes do more than rotation bigs.

He's saying instead of per 100 possession because 36 doesn't adjust for pace and now everyone hates it

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Good work Attackamole and Constellation explaining the Raptors problems. I woke up hungover this morning and was happy to see someone saved me the trouble of ranting/explaining why the team has become so frustrating.
I'll take the first shift after the all-star break.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Re: Celebrity Game

With Anthony Anderson there they should just have one team be the cast of Hang Time.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Sample size and all, but still:

http://www.basketball-reference.com...at=&order_by=ws

He's singed to a minimum contract next year too.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 5, 2015

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Intruder posted:

If anyone wants to know what Joey Dorsey is all about

https://vine.co/v/OFXY52zPi5K

Joey Dorsey does this so much that when he posted up and scored successfully last night like twice it just made me angrier at him for being Joey Dorsey.

nachos posted:

It's a good thing Miami has capspace in two years because they won't have bird rights for Whiteside and he's going to be getting a max contract

Riley seems to be catching a bit of poo poo for that contract but honestly I think Heat fans should be excited they have Whiteside for two years instead of one.

chunkles fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 5, 2015

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

https://vine.co/v/OFXL2pe6rD2

If this was a text message I'd be using the 100 emoticon a lot

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Pierce looks like he saw a ghost

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Sheriff posted:

Dwane Casey certainly isn't helping the Raptors, but I also don't think they currently have the talent to be real contenders. Their three best players are Lowry, Valanciunas, and... Amir Johnson? DeRozan? Don't get me wrong, it's well constructed and the players complement each other nicely, but I just think they need at least another top 15 player before they can be reasonably expected to get out of the conference finals and put up a fight against a team from the West.

The team's entire defensive scheme is more or less premised on Amir Johnson being a no-stats all star. Thing is, Amir Johnson doesn't have ankles any more. I think I read somewhere that the team's defence is at 105 points allowed per 100 possessions since he went down last season - he's never really coming back from that.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Declan MacManus posted:

https://vine.co/v/OFXL2pe6rD2

If this was a text message I'd be using the 100 emoticon a lot

Even if he wins a finals MVP or something Mike Scott will always be Randomly Generated Hawks Player to me

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Can't say I expected the Bucks to be two losses out of first with Cleveland and Chicago in their division. Giannis also had a career high of 25 points last night. It was against the Lakers but at least he is showing more confidence in his jumper.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Is Whiteside a particularly good or skilled rebounder? I've only seen him play a few games (I don't like watching Miami at all) and he's definitely improved offensively but are his rebounding numbers kind of pumped up by being a legit 7 footer in a league filled with thin 6'10 guys trying to box him out?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BIZORT posted:

Is Whiteside a particularly good or skilled rebounder? I've only seen him play a few games (I don't like watching Miami at all) and he's definitely improved offensively but are his rebounding numbers kind of pumped up by being a legit 7 footer in a league filled with thin 6'10 guys trying to box him out?

If he's getting lots of rebounds either way does it really matter? A rebound is a rebound, you don't get a bonus possession or something for getting one if you're short.

thompson posted:

oh good we get Michael Rappaport and Win Butler to fill the "celebrity trying way too loving hard" role. And no Arne Duncan is criminal, assuming he didn't turn it down. He should play every year until he physically can't anymore, because a politician in his 50s whipping no look passes to WNBA players around a confused Common is what All Star weekend is all about.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 5, 2015

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Part of it is playing alongside Chris Bosh who is not a particularly interested rebounder who is more than content to let Whiteside gobble up all the defensive boards, but he seems to be able to just reach up from behind guys and pluck offensive boards out of the air astonishingly well.

He also plays pretty hard in general; I hate this term but he does seem to want it more than most guys right now.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

Doltos posted:

Oh wth they don't have that education administrator power forward that was dropping triple doubles the last two years.

That guy has had his reign. Time for some new faces. I remember the first time I was watching that guy play. I discredited him and wondered who the gently caress he was. Well...I was wrong. He ended up being the biggest celebrity game boss ever.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

MourningView posted:

If he's getting lots of rebounds either way does it really matter? A rebound is a rebound, you don't get a bonus possession or something for getting one if you're short.

what has Reggie Evans been doing all these years

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

thompson posted:

That guy has had his reign. Time for some new faces. I remember the first time I was watching that guy play. I discredited him and wondered who the gently caress he was. Well...I was wrong. He ended up being the biggest celebrity game boss ever.

He actually played professional basketball overseas so he was wildly overqualified for it, but it was still really funny.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The celebrity game will always be a pale comparison to Rock N' Jock

Bring back Bill Bellamy is what I'm saying

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

MourningView posted:

He actually played professional basketball overseas so he was wildly overqualified for it, but it was still really funny.

Still though. Dude was old and gray and was still balling out of control. I hope there's another diamond in the rough like him.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

MourningView posted:

oh good we get Michael Rappaport and Win Butler to fill the "celebrity trying way too loving hard" role. And no Arne Duncan is criminal, assuming he didn't turn it down. He should play every year until he physically can't anymore, because a politician in his 50s whipping no look passes to WNBA players around a confused Common is what All Star weekend is all about.

Win Butler is some poo poo but it'd be outlandish to play a Celeb Basketball game (in NYC nonetheless) without including "Rock'n'Jock" Rappaport

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

MourningView posted:

Because I'd like to know?
Ricky Davis scored 20 points. Who cares how it happened? A point is a point

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
They should make the worst coach in each conference play in the celebrity game. That way we can see if Flip has learned anything from Rubio and we can find out if Derek Fisher still has the look.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Also with Whiteside it's sort of an implicit question of sustainability

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

They should make the worst coach in each conference play in the celebrity game. That way we can see if Flip has learned anything from Rubio and we can find out if Derek Fisher still has the look.

I know what you mean but there is no way Flip is actually the worst coach in the West. He's probably not even top (bottom?) three.

Fischer probably is, though.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Mark Jackson is grandfathered into the celebrity game each year

Mike Brown draws iso diagrams for an Olsen twin at every timeout

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I won't call Fisher bad yet because he's working with such a trash roster. I'm leaning towards middling and insufficient but for now he's a question mark.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
10 minutes of Kyle Korver warming up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EikqY3_Jasc

I'm a dork and enjoy jump shots. A lot.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

EvanTH posted:

I won't call Fisher bad yet because he's working with such a trash roster. I'm leaning towards middling and insufficient but for now he's a question mark.

Admittedly I haven't watched much of the Knicks but any coach who just walks into a job and makes the roster work into his own dumb system rather than working with the talent he's been given is a moron, especially when it's Fisher, who has been given the benefit of the doubt as a head coach since like 5 years ago for some reason

Look, I know you're not good at X but god damnit, I told Phil that I'd do X so you're going to do it

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
hello New York please welcome the 2015 equivalent of Yasmine Bleeth, Dan Cortese and PRAS FROM THE FUGEES

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BIZORT posted:

Ricky Davis scored 20 points. Who cares how it happened? A point is a point

He scored 20 points while missing a ton of shots, that is not the same thing at all.

EvanTH posted:

Win Butler is some poo poo but it'd be outlandish to play a Celeb Basketball game (in NYC nonetheless) without including "Rock'n'Jock" Rappaport

he is a try hard rear end in a top hat who thinks he's a defensive stopper and he ruined an entire season of Justified

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

MourningView posted:

He scored 20 points while missing a ton of shots, that is not the same thing at all.

It's not. My point is that you can look at a boxscore and see the output but I'd like to see how the output is created. It give you a better picture of how the player is achieving it. I really don't want to watch the Heat and I had a theory so I asked for confirmation. "WHO CARES?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Woj reporting that Jacques Vaughn is about to get fired "imminently", but it feels like he's been saying that for weeks.

• Locked thread