Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Going back to Boxee for a minute - another way to look at that situation is that they were just a new spin on an old model. What Boxee really attempted to do - and what the "all in one" interface discussion we are having here is really centered around - is an extension of the Program Guide model, combined with the On Demand model and adapted for the streaming age. You want all your stuff, neatly organized, presented not by where it's from but by what it is because, of course, you are the viewer and that's what you care about. Also, it's what we are used to because ever since the advent of the DVR, and the interactive program guide 20 years ago that's more or less how things have worked.

The DVR/Program Guide model itself was simply an evolution of the original channel model - it took how TV channels worked all along and solved the problem that came when over time there were to many of them to manage the old-school way by entering in numbers or flipping through a TV guide. It was new and exciting, but an evolutionary change. To be more accurate, where we are now is an evolution of the On Demand model, which started to take off around 10-15 years ago.

Boxee (and others) attempted to essentially evolve that (On Demand model) even further. A noble goal and one no doubt that many of us would have been perfectly happy with. However we're in the middle of a truly revolutionary change - technology is finally being leveraged by the media business in a way that actually changes their business models. It had to happen because viewers themselves adapted first, some long ago. So they are adapting with the times, just like people have been screaming at them to do for years. That they are not adapting in a way that seems ideal to many viewers should come as a surprise to no one, big change is always hard and takes getting used to.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I get the feeling you like to think you know what you're talking about but you really have no idea and you're just tossing word salad.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ixian posted:

Because - whether you agree it's a good idea or not - modern streaming media business models are centered around destination branding.

Ok, I thought this is what you were thinking, but...this defense of your assertion that a unified UI is bad for revenue is just a tautology. I disagree that the above quoted assertion is a good idea, and your quoted assertion is just a rewording of your original assertion about a unified UI being bad for revenue.

You're going to have to do more than restate the current state of the industry to defend the original assertion about unified UI's. I doubt anyone disagrees that the industry is where it is at because it is where it is at. You still haven't defended the original idea that I questioned.

Industries assume standards all the time that aren't the actual best standard amongst all possible standards.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

wolfbiker posted:

I get the feeling you like to think you know what you're talking about but you really have no idea and you're just tossing word salad.

What the gently caress, did you even read what he said?

It's a pretty succinct breakdown of how streaming platforms have evolved. Go to the FireTV thread and see all the people who complain "can't I just see all the movies together, whether from Netflix or Prime or rentable VOD?" No, you can't, cause none of the providers want that.

Also check out the number of "where can i stream it" sites that exist to address this somewhat. A whole external 3rd party website has to be used to find where to get content based on the content itself and not where its distributed. Ixian nailed it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I wouldn't go that far. Roku has a unified search and Amazon is working with providers to integrate their stuff into the voice search. Of course, they'd prefer that you stay inside their little garden but they also want their service to be seen as an option when people are looking for stuff. If that means they potentially lose a sale because Netflix or Hulu or Amazon Prime has that title for free, so be it. Because there's also a chance that somebody will search for content they have as an exclusive or a new movie that's only available for rent.

But he's right that we'll never get a UI where it scrapes all the different subscription services in one place. They don't want you to forget where you are getting your content from.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 5, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Gozinbulx posted:

Ixian nailed it.

He nailed a description of the current state of things, which is nice as far as it goes.

It doesn't have much to do with the question he was answering, though.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

He nailed a description of the current state of things, which is nice as far as it goes.

I didn't know he was answering a question. I mean he nailed how it it is (as you said).

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Gozinbulx posted:

Go to the FireTV thread and see all the people who complain "can't I just see all the movies together, whether from Netflix or Prime or rentable VOD?" No, you can't, cause none of the providers want that.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Roku has a unified search

I guess I just didn't like how the tone of his posts were that it's a fact rather than his opinion. Unless he works for Hulu, Netflix, etc. he shouldn't be spouting off what their business models are and what they do or don't care about.

Streaming is still new and people will get used to paying for different services and going to different places to find what they want in the same way they have to change channels to find different programs or how they used to have to go to different video stores to find a movie they wanted to rent.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm still not seeing an explanation of why Netflix isn't running to develop a Netflix app for every drat phone, TV, and toaster so that they can dump their experience in front of you.

I don't care that Netflix movies won't be listed next to my mkv movies in XBMC. I do care that I can't back out to the main menu and go to the Netflix tab and be launched into a full Netflix "experience." I've got a Fire TV Stick on the way for that so it's not a huge deal, I'll have to change the input on the TV instead of going into a different section of XBMC. Whatever.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Netflix wants to curate apps for platforms and due to licensing agreements it can't just offer the app for platforms that don't have some sort of DRM mechanism that will satisfy content producers. That's been their reasoning in the past anyway. I am still pretty miffed they killed the third party API.

FireTV satisfies me in that regard (XBMC/Netflix) but I really wish it supported external storage natively.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
If i'm not mistaken, the DRM requirements only apply to anything above 480p. Thats why only select Android devices can get HD, cause they carry SoC's with built in DRM in the hardware decoder that's been whitelisted by whatever cartel imposes it on Netflix.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

wolfbiker posted:

I guess I just didn't like how the tone of his posts were that it's a fact rather than his opinion. Unless he works for Hulu, Netflix, etc. he shouldn't be spouting off what their business models are and what they do or don't care about.

Streaming is still new and people will get used to paying for different services and going to different places to find what they want in the same way they have to change channels to find different programs or how they used to have to go to different video stores to find a movie they wanted to rent.

I shouldn't have to explain this (here of all places) but I always just post my opinion. Trying to suss out "tone" in a forum post is usually a losing proposition - see above, some people totally got it, others like you didn't. I usually assume by default that whatever someone is writing is opinion...because it is.

I don't work in the streaming media industry but I do work with them and understand their business models beyond layman's terms. You're still free to disagree, I'm not offended.

Thermopyle posted:

I may have misunderstood then because I though the question was asking about how the current state of things came about.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Webbeh posted:

I've always wondered: why aren't you using the default scrapers? They seem to work incredibly well for me.

Mostly because I need to rename everything due to my wacky naming convention for a few things and sometimes I want to change the artwork and stuff from whatever pulls from the default.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Holy poo poo I'm pissed with viral video licensing companies buying the rights to videos and then restricting playback to only the official youtube app/site. This means I cant send a youtube video from my phone to xbmc to watch on the TV. This is bullshit that some third party wants to make money for nothing by restricting playback, I want my loving free cat videos, assholes.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003
The Most Pop-tastic Man of Action.

r0ck0 posted:

Holy poo poo I'm pissed with viral video licensing companies buying the rights to videos and then restricting playback to only the official youtube app/site. This means I cant send a youtube video from my phone to xbmc to watch on the TV. This is bullshit that some third party wants to make money for nothing by restricting playback, I want my loving free cat videos, assholes.

youtube-dl.py just rips right through that poo poo, use it.

Then you've got your best vids ready to rock forever and no buffrin.

KKKLIP ART posted:

Mostly because I need to rename everything due to my wacky naming convention for a few things and sometimes I want to change the artwork and stuff from whatever pulls from the default.

Did you try FileBot? Cross platform and will take whatever poo poo-tastic naming convention you want for all your animu.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

eltoozero posted:

Does this work with xbmc? I don't want to download the videos just cast them from my phone to xbmc.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

eltoozero posted:

Did you try FileBot? Cross platform and will take whatever poo poo-tastic naming convention you want for all your animu.

Never heard of it but I'll give it a try

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
So, if I've got some movies named "Moviename (year).ext" will XBMC be able to scrub information for them?

All the movies are in the same directory, so no sub directories.

Like this:

Movies
I________Moviename (year).ext

and so...

To prepare the movies for a XBMC setup, I've downloaded ViMediaMAnager for OS X, and it works fine with TV shows, but can't seem ti get any information for the movies.

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

Kidney Stone posted:

So, if I've got some movies named "Moviename (year).ext" will XBMC be able to scrub information for them?

All the movies are in the same directory, so no sub directories.

Like this:

Movies

and so...

To prepare the movies for a XBMC setup, I've downloaded ViMediaMAnager for OS X, and it works fine with TV shows, but can't seem ti get any information for the movies.

This is exactly how I store my movies and Xbmc seems to have no problem finding info for them.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
All of my movies are dumped into one directory. I do movie.name.(year).resolutoin.source.format.ext So debbie.does.dallas.2.(2014).4k.bluray.x264.mkv

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003

r0ck0 posted:

Does this work with xbmc? I don't want to download the videos just cast them from my phone to xbmc.

You will cry when they eventually get taken down like all the best videos do, take the high road and rip them for life so you don't have to watch YouTube ads either.

XBMC casting of any sort has never worked reliably for me, get a chromecast if you must YouTube cast, nothing else lets you queue up videos on the fly as easily (even from iOS/Mac/PC).

And IMO, chromecast is even better at YouTube than AirPlay to AppleTV specifically because of the dynamic queue feature.

redhalo
May 19, 2009

Bigfabdaddy posted:

Just wondering if anyone that is using Gothem has had any problems so far.

Gotham is old though, why not Helix?

edit: As in you speak as if Gotham just released. If you are concerned that Gotham is buggy, it's never going to get any better.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I wish Genesis or any of these add ons would show you which stream is 2.0 audio and which is 5.1. It's really annoying trying to find the one with the full Dolby audio.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

lignicolos posted:

This is exactly how I store my movies and Xbmc seems to have no problem finding info for them.

Thats good to hear - looks like I've just need to tranfer the movies then.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

eltoozero posted:

You will cry when they eventually get taken down like all the best videos do, take the high road and rip them for life so you don't have to watch YouTube ads either.

XBMC casting of any sort has never worked reliably for me, get a chromecast if you must YouTube cast, nothing else lets you queue up videos on the fly as easily (even from iOS/Mac/PC).

And IMO, chromecast is even better at YouTube than AirPlay to AppleTV specifically because of the dynamic queue feature.

You just sold me a Chromecast. We were using the WIIU to queue up a video while another was playing, but that functionality isn't there anymore for some reason. For getting drunk and watching terrible music videos, it's imperative to have a queue.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

eltoozero posted:

This was amazing and stopped me from hand-doing the tagging of junk by hand. I have my Kodi install to take stuff from TVDB, so telling it to rename everything in a directory the way that it will scrape from TVDB within Kodi worked like a charm. Thanks a ton for this!

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003

EC posted:

You just sold me a Chromecast. We were using the WIIU to queue up a video while another was playing, but that functionality isn't there anymore for some reason. For getting drunk and watching terrible music videos, it's imperative to have a queue.

More like YouTube-cast, amirite?

I hate that it's so convenient actually; device as remote works pretty drat seamlessly.

KKKLIP ART posted:

This was amazing and stopped me from hand-doing the tagging of junk by hand. I have my Kodi install to take stuff from TVDB, so telling it to rename everything in a directory the way that it will scrape from TVDB within Kodi worked like a charm. Thanks a ton for this!

FileBot FTW, dude used to take donations but doesn't anymore because he got enough apparently.

I only wish there was an equivalent "recursive unpacker" such as what SABNZBd uses on the back end post-download, never found anything even close to that good.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So I did a fresh install of Kodi on my FireTV and when adding a share via SMB, I get an "invalid argument" error and Google is useless to me at the moment. Any ideas?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

eltoozero posted:

I have never had a problem sending youtube videos to my xbmc or queuing videos either, me and my wife are able to both add videos to the queue and they play in the order they are added. We use yatse xbmc remote on our phones, works great. The problem is lovely third parties buying the rights to lovely "viral" videos and preventing playback on anything other than the official youtube app/site.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

r0ck0 posted:

I have never had a problem sending youtube videos to my xbmc or queuing videos either, me and my wife are able to both add videos to the queue and they play in the order they are added. We use yatse xbmc remote on our phones, works great. The problem is lovely third parties buying the rights to lovely "viral" videos and preventing playback on anything other than the official youtube app/site.

I think he/she gets that and hence the recommendation to rip them, otherwise no one is quite sure what you are asking - certainly the trend of companies and people who post videos doing this will continue and in fact probably increase as long as the financial incentive is there to do so.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Ixian posted:

I think he/she gets that and hence the recommendation to rip them, otherwise no one is quite sure what you are asking - certainly the trend of companies and people who post videos doing this will continue and in fact probably increase as long as the financial incentive is there to do so.

Yea, I know. Mostly just ranting. Its stupid that people sell their rights to a thirdparty for a stupid cat video. First clue is huh this company wants to buy my video, maybe its worth something?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

r0ck0 posted:

Yea, I know. Mostly just ranting. Its stupid that people sell their rights to a thirdparty for a stupid cat video. First clue is huh this company wants to buy my video, maybe its worth something?

Annoying, sure. But stupid? You make a cat video, probably without even really thinking about it, and upload it to for the entire world to see so you can share it with the 10 people you think will care because that's the incredible trick Youtube managed to pull off.

Then a million "eh why not" thumb presses later it's shared all over and some fringe opportunist offers to split some money with you for promoting it further. In return, they run ads and non-sanctioned sites can't view it off Youtube.

I don't know if I'd call allowing that stupid. The whole system is kind of stupid, maybe.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003
My logic is chromecast is pretty much the only 1:1 option for YouTube's best features and getting around stupid restrictions because Google.

youtube-dl.py has never failed pulling content when I don't have a cast setup handy.

Also pro-tip youtube-dl.py works with pretty much any streaming/embedded content, I was able to rip the Tune-Yards concert hosted on NPR's page and clips from NBC with zero problems.

Also Ixian better be a Dune reference or I'm gonna drop a thumper and call Shai-Hulud up in here.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

eltoozero posted:

My logic is chromecast is pretty much the only 1:1 option for YouTube's best features and getting around stupid restrictions because Google.

youtube-dl.py has never failed pulling content when I don't have a cast setup handy.

Also pro-tip youtube-dl.py works with pretty much any streaming/embedded content, I was able to rip the Tune-Yards concert hosted on NPR's page and clips from NBC with zero problems.

Also Ixian better be a Dune reference or I'm gonna drop a thumper and call Shai-Hulud up in here.

You'd be surprised how often people don't get that. I've taken to explaining it's just a play on the Roman numeral nine and not because I am a nerd who picked a screen name after the planet of technology in the Dune books.

Fake edit: Actually you probably wouldn't be surprised, it is pretty obscure-nerd.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Ixian posted:

Annoying, sure. But stupid? You make a cat video, probably without even really thinking about it, and upload it to for the entire world to see so you can share it with the 10 people you think will care because that's the incredible trick Youtube managed to pull off.

Then a million "eh why not" thumb presses later it's shared all over and some fringe opportunist offers to split some money with you for promoting it further. In return, they run ads and non-sanctioned sites can't view it off Youtube.

I don't know if I'd call allowing that stupid. The whole system is kind of stupid, maybe.

Except you can do all that yourself, minus the promotion part which isnt needed with a viral video. Selling your rights just makes you a chump. Its not like we're drilling for oil, you don't have to do anything.

Call me a commie but one cat video isn't going to make you rich, unless you grumpy cat the poo poo out of it.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

r0ck0 posted:

Except you can do all that yourself, minus the promotion part which isnt needed with a viral video. Selling your rights just makes you a chump. Its not like we're drilling for oil, you don't have to do anything.

Call me a commie but one cat video isn't going to make you rich, unless you grumpy cat the poo poo out of it.

We're probably veering way off topic but: I understand why you think it's dumb, and why it's annoying, just pointing out that I think - in my opinion - someone uploading a stupid cat video probably doesn't know about the consequences of signing over rights to said stupid video (such as not being able to fling it to XBMC) and definitely wouldn't give a poo poo if they did. Maybe they could collect ad money, etc. themselves, or maybe they could just click another couple of buttons and let some other company send them money instead.

What I am really saying, I guess, isn't that it isn't stupid, but that it isn't hard to understand.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003

Ixian posted:

What I am really saying, I guess, isn't that it isn't stupid, but that it isn't hard to understand.

Plus Google makes it stupid easy, I did a review of a thing and when it got enough views I got an email to check a box to get $.

Hence, it's really common to have to rip YouTube (not to mention Vimeo, or some other poo poo that all of a sudden you want to watch on a big screen) via youtube-dl.py :pimp: or bow and get a Chromecast since its lower-case bux and has "added benefits" free hand-jobs.

Re-railed bitches.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just FYI the nexus player sort of has a unified experience. On the home screen I have YouTube suggested videos showing up next to pay on demand google play movies next to movies from my Plex library. Selecting whichever video launches the appropriate app to play it. Its an api that xbmc could also take advantage of I believe.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

eltoozero posted:

Plus Google makes it stupid easy, I did a review of a thing and when it got enough views I got an email to check a box to get $.

Hence, it's really common to have to rip YouTube (not to mention Vimeo, or some other poo poo that all of a sudden you want to watch on a big screen) via youtube-dl.py :pimp: or bow and get a Chromecast since its lower-case bux and has "added benefits" free hand-jobs.

Re-railed bitches.

I fixed it! I simply boycott those videos, I aint giving views to some hollywood "rights" management company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

jonathan posted:

Just FYI the nexus player sort of has a unified experience. On the home screen I have YouTube suggested videos showing up next to pay on demand google play movies next to movies from my Plex library. Selecting whichever video launches the appropriate app to play it. Its an api that xbmc could also take advantage of I believe.

Not if their player doesn't support DRM for content that requires it, such as Play movies or locked Youtube videos. Unless you mean having XBMC/Kodi launch the actual appropriate player too (assuming it is running on the right platform), which is possible for some stuff now but removes a lot of the point of using it - just turns it into another launch screen, really.