Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
All it takes is a throwaway line hinting at a Lazarus Pit to make him being rezzed off screen bearable. I really don't think there is any way they can take the story in the direction where him surviving that stab/fall at Ras hands satisfying.

So him having not died is far worse in my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Ras Al Ghul: World's worst executioner

Yes, exactly. It's just one of those strange but true facts, like how you can fall 100 feet onto solid rock without breaking any bones or skulls. It actually happened to this guy in real life.

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah it would be pretty bad if that had happened.

I am assuming that you're being snarky and are in the "Oliver actually died" camp, but yes, Oliver's body being brought to a cabin and then the next scene is him waking up alive does actually count as offscreen.

Timett posted:

All it takes is a throwaway line hinting at a Lazarus Pit to make him being rezzed off screen bearable. I really don't think there is any way they can take the story in the direction where him surviving that stab/fall at Ras hands satisfying.

So him having not died is far worse in my mind.

You're right, there's nothing really satisfying about any part of this.

But I don't understand how anyone can possibly say "Oliver died, but was brought back to life by completely unexplained means" is somehow a better idea and makes more sense than "he didn't actually die".

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 5, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Or it's some weird League stuff where Ra's intentionally didn't take a killing blow as some kind of test to see if Oliver is worthy or some junk.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It actually happened to this guy in real life.

Oliver Queen isn't real :v:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yes, exactly. It's just one of those strange but true facts, like how you can fall 100 feet onto solid rock without breaking any bones or skulls. It actually happened to this guy in real life.

I am assuming that you're being snarky and are in the "Oliver actually died" camp, but yes, Oliver's body being brought to a cabin and then the next scene is him waking up alive does actually count as offscreen.
I'm going to assume unreliable narrator in this instance. Just because they told Oliver that Tatsu used some stupid tea to bring him back doesn't mean that's the case, it just means Maseo doesn't want to get even more in trouble than he already is with the LOA for helping Oliver and letting Oliver think Tatsu has some kind of magic herbal tea instead of there being a pit that brings people back from the dead is a lot safer for all three of them than the truth. Oliver was unconscious/dead the whole time so he doesn't know anything other than what they told him.

I mean, Maseo does have a history of not telling Oliver poo poo like that, as shown in last episode where he was willing to exchange what he thought was the real vial for his wife.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Somewhat off-topic, but my wife and I are heading to Walla Walla, Washington at the end of April for one of Stephen Amell's winery parties. Has anyone else here been to one? Anyone from the Pacific Northwest have any suggestions on things to do in the area?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Oliver Queen isn't real :v:

Yeah, but Amell likes to do his own stunts.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

greatn posted:

Oliver isn't just teaming up with Merlyn for expediency, he believes he can be saved. He's really not being a dick this time. He probably should have at least said as much to Felicity, but she hardly let him get a word in edgewise.

He teamed up with Merlyn because he thinks the only way to kill Ras is by learning everything about the man and using the power of DARKNESS since it turns out that the power of 'I'm doing this for Thea' does jack poo poo.

It's going to be so utterly hilarious when Ras guts him a second time.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Kegslayer posted:

He teamed up with Merlyn because he thinks the only way to kill Ras is by learning everything about the man and using the power of DARKNESS since it turns out that the power of 'I'm doing this for Thea' does jack poo poo.

I took it more as learning literally the sword technique from the student of the master, not learning to harness his darkness.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
why bother with a drat sword at all

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Looks like Diggle Is going back into the field soon

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

You're right, there's nothing really satisfying about any part of this

But I don't understand how anyone can possibly say "Oliver died, but was brought back to life by completely unexplained means" is somehow a better idea and makes more sense than "he didn't actually die".

I guess because we watched him die and we were all but told he died and we can sort of fill in the blanks as to how he was brought back in a comic book show. Trying to accept that Ras either didn't kill him on purpose or because he isn't as good a killer as we thought basically doesn't fit with what we know about that character.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Because if Oliver beats Ra's in a duel the League law allows that to happen.

If he assassinates him, they'll come after him for it.

Timett posted:

I guess because we watched him die and we were all but told he died and we can sort of fill in the blanks as to how he was brought back in a comic book show. Trying to accept that Ras either didn't kill him on purpose or because he isn't as good a killer as we thought basically doesn't fit with what we know about that character.

Told he died by a guy who isn't known for telling the truth.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

More Cupid, too!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kegslayer posted:

I would be ok with this. Every season Oliver faces Ras and gets clowned badly. Add in a slide whistle sound effect for when Oliver is pushed off the cliff.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

rapeface posted:

This was one of this season's better episodes, but it was still pretty silly. It's been weeks and the League hasn't done poo poo to Merlyn except send a lovely DJ to spy on Thea. Brick was also a pretty underwhelming villain that wasn't really explained/explored. The mob scene was pretty dumb too.

I don't mind the League thing, but I have to agree that the mob scene was pretty weird. Bunch of thugs with guns decided to duke it out hand to hand instead of just mowing people down with their assault rifles. Because that's what any reasonable criminal would do after they've taken control of part of a city, I'm sure.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
I felt like Felicity was laying on the melodrama a little too thick. Merlyn is a lovely guy, but I didn't see her coming up with any better ideas to stop an impossibly powerful murder with immense resources including an army of trained killers, no mercy, a proven capacity to murder innocents, and a clear motivation against our lead hero. Working with Merlyn, who's at least trying to be a better person, is the lesser of two evils.

I'm really glad Olli is back, and I hope we don't have to spend too much time bored by his recovery while Laurel figures things out. My god, Laurel is the worst.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I don't think Felicity is that inconsistent w/ her logic, they're just poorly expressed when they intersect w/ her feelings for Oliver. She was fine if Oliver killed Ras because of the stakes at hand and its limited to Oliver because of his sister. She's not for a Merlyn team up because it compromises the values of her & Diggle. Outside of Ras, Felicity was against killing from season 1 and that was a big pill that could only be swallowed because of Ras. Not even a day goes by after she gives the counter-point to Roy's position based on 'Teaming up w/ Malcom doesn't live up to Oliver's standard' and Oliver shows up alive and says, "Good news, I'm teaming up with Malcom." I think she's got a right to being pissed off.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, Ollie could have handled that better.

"We're calling a temporary truce and Merlyn will be teaching me how to fight with a sword so when Ras comes back I don't get killed again." vs "Good news! We're moving the Arrow Cave to Merlyn's penthouse!"

I didn't really get the impression that Merlyn is joining team Arrow, which is sort of how Ollie presented it to Felicity.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The problem is she doesn't know Merlyn is trying to be a better person and he didn't mention it.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
You guys are right. I can't believe the writers are so arrogant that they expect us to believe that some herbal tea and sutures healed Ollie, rather than the much more believable magical healing water. As a very occasional comic book reader, this is why I hate other comic book readers.

Also,

JohnSherman posted:

It's hilarious the number of words written in defense of a lovely plot device invented way back when by some hack comic book writer who didn't want to deal with the consequences of killing off a character.

e:

greatn posted:

The problem is she doesn't know Merlyn is trying to be a better person and he didn't mention it.
Merlyn killed 500 innocent people. I hate that the show pretends that this is the moral equivalent of cheating on your spouse.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 5, 2015

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hey he said he's sorry. Come oooooon.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Klungar posted:

Somewhat off-topic, but my wife and I are heading to Walla Walla, Washington at the end of April for one of Stephen Amell's winery parties. Has anyone else here been to one? Anyone from the Pacific Northwest have any suggestions on things to do in the area?

Eastern Washington is a poo poo hole and the only thing to do in that particular part of it is the vineyards and wineries.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

hcreight posted:

This happened in the CTV preview that's up on spoilertv, but *not* the CW preview.

So go to spoilertv if you want to see an interesting subplot happening next week.

CTV did the better preview, WTF

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

JohnSherman posted:

Merlyn killed 500 innocent people. I hate that the show pretends that this is the moral equivalent of cheating on your spouse.

Let's not pretend Ollie is a saint here, he murdered the poo poo out of a lot of people when he got back to Starling and flashbacks have him torturing people on minimal amounts of information. And frankly those flashbacks still have a pretty big gap between "reluctant Ollie working for Argus" and "dropping bodies at a moment's notice Ollie" that we saw in the pilot.

This whole show has been Ollie's redemption tour so far, so its not really that much of a stretch that he'd be willing to give Merlyn the benefit of the doubt when he says that he wants to change. Ollie just witnessed Merlyn having mercy on the man that killed his wife which is a hell of a step.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

sbaldrick posted:

CTV did the better preview, WTF

CTV always has the better preview.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Azhais posted:

Let's not pretend Ollie is a saint here, he murdered the poo poo out of a lot of people when he got back to Starling and flashbacks have him torturing people on minimal amounts of information. And frankly those flashbacks still have a pretty big gap between "reluctant Ollie working for Argus" and "dropping bodies at a moment's notice Ollie" that we saw in the pilot.

This whole show has been Ollie's redemption tour so far, so its not really that much of a stretch that he'd be willing to give Merlyn the benefit of the doubt when he says that he wants to change. Ollie just witnessed Merlyn having mercy on the man that killed his wife which is a hell of a step.

Murdering a few dozen baddies and their henchman =/= Murdering 500 innocent men, women, and children.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Why would brick want the glades anyway? The glades is trash.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

My favorite part was where Thea suggested to Malcolm they should go to the police about Brick. :lol:

edit: Also Malcolm - "all I ever wanted to do was help this city [by destroying the ghetto and killing all the poors]!"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

JohnSherman posted:

You guys are right. I can't believe the writers are so arrogant that they expect us to believe that some herbal tea and sutures healed Ollie, rather than the much more believable magical healing water. As a very occasional comic book reader, this is why I hate other comic book readers.

Also,

The Lazarus Pits were introduced around the same time as Ra's al Ghul and were always part of the character.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The problem I have with Felicity right now is that her motivations are totally selfish. It's not about the smart thing or even the right thing, but the thing that makes Oliver closest to being her ideal hero.

It would even be perfectly okay if I thought it was a plot point and anyone was ever going to call her out on it, but they won't.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

hcreight posted:

This happened in the CTV preview that's up on spoilertv, but *not* the CW preview.

So go to spoilertv if you want to see an interesting subplot happening next week.

Any chance you could link it? I only see two Canaries previews on spoilertv, the CW one, and an extended one with not much else. Searching Arrow 3.13 CTV preview gives me nothing.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

About drat time we got Deadshot back

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

thrawn527 posted:

Any chance you could link it? I only see two Canaries previews on spoilertv, the CW one, and an extended one with not much else. Searching Arrow 3.13 CTV preview gives me nothing.

What did the two previews you saw on SpoilerTV contain? Because the CTV preview showed Ollie showing Thea the Foundry.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

King of Solomon posted:

What did the two previews you saw on SpoilerTV contain? Because the CTV preview showed Ollie showing Thea the Foundry.

Wait, poo poo, the extended one does have a literally 1 second shot of the it. I missed it, guess I was expecting something longer, and was just seeing all the Vertigo stuff.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

thrawn527 posted:

Wait, poo poo, the extended one does have a literally 1 second shot of the it. I missed it, guess I was expecting something longer, and was just seeing all the Vertigo stuff.

Here's a terrible quality video of the CTV preview, if you want to see it. The Thea section is a hell of a lot more than a second in it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Ah, okay. This one was the only one I was finding on SpoilerTV. Thanks.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Rarity posted:

About drat time we got Cupid back

:unsmigghh:

Edit: just to be clear did Wildcat die?

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 5, 2015

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I forget, did Merlyn say "sowwy" for killing Sara too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

hollylolly posted:

edit: Also Malcolm - "all I ever wanted to do was help this city [by destroying the ghetto and killing all the poors]!"

Merlyn is a republican.

• Locked thread