Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

mllaneza posted:

One day I'd called in "sick of" not "sick with".

I made the mistake of telling one of my co-workers about mental health days. The concept had never even occurred to him :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

gfsincere posted:

I know this is super ultra late, but putty and Cygwin suck rear end. Use MobaXTerm for locked down computers (my current job situation). You can thank me later.

I've been using conemu and it owns.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Potato Salad posted:

A ticket just came in:

Subject line: "Hello ladies and gentlemen, I would be greatly appreciative if you would come upstairs as soon as possible tomorrow morning and assist me with a sp..."

No body text follows. The subject is too long for our helpdesk app. This is not the first time this happened with this user by far.

Looking forward to hearing about this. I'm guessing he needs help killing a spider.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

A ticket just came in:

Subject line: "Hello ladies and gentlemen, I would be greatly appreciative if you would come upstairs as soon as possible tomorrow morning and assist me with a sp..."

No body text follows. The subject is too long for our helpdesk app. This is not the first time this happened with this user by far.

I had a user like that years ago. I started replying to all her mail in the same fashion - typing out the full reply in the subject, including initial greetings and best regards. She got pissy about it and went to her boss, who laughed at her and told her to use mail properly.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

We have one particular user who starts off every voicemail with "hi, how are you?"

She does this for every phone call and email too, so I'm sort of doubting the sincerity when it's so ingrained as a habit that she can't even skip it for a voicemail. It does make me laugh though (until the rest of the message because she is a pain in the rear end with annoying problems)

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Gilok posted:

Looking forward to hearing about this. I'm guessing he needs help killing a spider.

Sp...aghetti eating world record attempt.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I've been using conemu and it owns.

I use cmder, which is based on conemu.

I have not been able to setup SSH on it, no matter what I do. Works beautifully for the rest though.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

myron cope posted:

We have one particular user who starts off every voicemail with "hi, how are you?"

She does this for every phone call and email too, so I'm sort of doubting the sincerity when it's so ingrained as a habit that she can't even skip it for a voicemail. It does make me laugh though (until the rest of the message because she is a pain in the rear end with annoying problems)

So many people do that around here, that my response of "doing well hey how can I help you?" is so ingrained into habit that sometimes I say it when they don't ask me how I am. Though sometimes I just respond with an "UGHHHHHHHHHH" if I feel like making someone laugh.

We had one temp who didn't understand that everyone was just being polite and didn't actually care if he was laying there with a severed arm, and he'd go about telling them about his day. Our techs learned very quickly to keep it with business around that guy. That temp was really funny. Management denied my request to keep him in a giant hamster cage, far, far away from any phones, so he could entertain us without running any risk of screwing something up. I even promised to take him home during the holidays :smith:

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

My replies are usually either "hanging in there", "eh. sixty-fourty", or a very excited and happy sounding "TERRIBLE, YOURSELF? :D"

I've learned that most callers get caught totally off-guard with those, react positively, and it can break up their initial generic fury at whatever password they've mistyped a dozen times in a row when they first call.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

"good afternoon"
"how are you doing?"

no response

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Since I'm tech support for our clients, I've learned the unfortunate habit of ending my calls with them with "Did you have any other questions I can help you with?" before saying goodbye and hanging up. The reason it's unfortunate is that because most of the time, I only actually start my end-of-phone-call banter after I've made sure I've answered their questions.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Nerdrock posted:

My replies are usually either "hanging in there", "eh. sixty-fourty", or a very excited and happy sounding "TERRIBLE, YOURSELF? :D"

I've learned that most callers get caught totally off-guard with those, react positively, and it can break up their initial generic fury at whatever password they've mistyped a dozen times in a row when they first call.

"Eh, I'm alive, I suppose" is really good at defusing any previous hostility that may have been there because it's so unorthodox.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

neogeo0823 posted:

Since I'm tech support for our clients, I've learned the unfortunate habit of ending my calls with them with "Did you have any other questions I can help you with?" before saying goodbye and hanging up. The reason it's unfortunate is that because most of the time, I only actually start my end-of-phone-call banter after I've made sure I've answered their questions.

Back when I manned the phones, I learned to ask that question only once, then start into closing the call.

Otherwise my AHT was like, 45 minutes.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
Part of my duties involve administrating certificates for a third party website my company uses which means whenever the lovely website starts loving up, which is frequently, for its brief 10-15 minute spells I get an email and or call. I started getting real salty cause I ran out of ways to politely say "we do not have any control over this site, and I only make sure your certificate is taken care of." Now I just ignore the emails and calls and when the problem inevitably fixes itself on their end I get a follow up "oh its all good now, thanks" like I did something.

I am learning the ways.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Now I just ignore the emails and calls and when the problem inevitably fixes itself on their end I get a follow up "oh its all good now, thanks" like I did something.

I am learning the ways.

This is how I handle most calls and emails.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

Trastion posted:

This is how I handle most calls and emails.

haha I couldn't in my desktop job, now that I'm out of support hell I have some leeway. It is glorious.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I'm from Jersey, so fortunately, "Good, how ya doin" is an appropriate and expected response to questions of well-being.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Apparently I talk like an airline pilot from the South when I'm on the phone with clients.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I think a while back we were talking about users with funny names. I'm working with a Blatt-Gross right now.

Tumbleweed Hank
Jul 27, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

Apparently I talk like an airline pilot from the South when I'm on the phone with clients.

That is a very specific accent. I understand southern, but how do airline pilots speak?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tumbleweed Hank posted:

That is a very specific accent. I understand southern, but how do airline pilots speak?

Very even affect, with a lot of "uhhhhhhhh"s sprinkled throughout.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

myron cope posted:

I much prefer the version prevalent throughout the UK, where "Alright?" is simply a different pronunciation of "Hello", and nobody has any illusions about anyone giving a poo poo how we're actually doing unless they're close mates.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
There's a BBC travel show I watch (Great British Railway Journeys) and the host always says "nice to see you" when meeting people instead of "nice to meet you" which is weird to me.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

A ticket just came in:

Spell check?

I had a user who sent subject emails such as 'can you call pls EOM'

End of message apparently to indicate don't bother opening the mail... It would have been ok but no one really knew what it meant and no one liked her so no one asked!

Today a ticket didn't come in when someone rang the out of hours emergency line at 2pm 3 times... Shame they didn't leave a voicemail because I'd love to know which retard that was and which one of our IT departments were hiding at that point! :D

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Business owner arranges a run of our branded t-shirts or whatever, tells me to e-mail the design to the printing company. I send it, no response. A week later I ask the owner when the shirts are coming in, and he says the printer told him the image I sent was unusable. So not only did they tell him instead of answering me directly so I can fix it, but he sat on it for a week instead of telling me. But they did manage to convince him to order a thousand of the old design instead! (Business cards, that time)

This time there're some new wrinkles, though! For fuckery like that, we're moving to a new printing company. However, the story above just repeated itself; it turns out the old printing company sent the wrong type of file and the new company can't use it with their software. And this time it took almost a month for that nugget of data to be relayed back to me!

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Tumbleweed Hank posted:

Check out The Right Stuff sometime. Tom Wolfe goes into a bit of detail about the pilot accent and its origins.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Javid posted:

Business owner arranges a run of our branded t-shirts or whatever, tells me to e-mail the design to the printing company. I send it, no response. A week later I ask the owner when the shirts are coming in, and he says the printer told him the image I sent was unusable. So not only did they tell him instead of answering me directly so I can fix it, but he sat on it for a week instead of telling me. But they did manage to convince him to order a thousand of the old design instead! (Business cards, that time)

This time there're some new wrinkles, though! For fuckery like that, we're moving to a new printing company. However, the story above just repeated itself; it turns out the old printing company sent the wrong type of file and the new company can't use it with their software. And this time it took almost a month for that nugget of data to be relayed back to me!

I randomly get CC'ed into emails like this:

"Hey m.hache, can you provide them with high quality vector images of our logos?"

Uh yeah, let me just magically generate vector files for our logos'. I must have forgot that section of my resume that said "Graphic Design".

I've also have seen my boss take our logo in paint, expand it and send that thinking it would be higher quality. Made me laugh.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

m.hache posted:

I randomly get CC'ed into emails like this:

"Hey m.hache, can you provide them with high quality vector images of our logos?"

Uh yeah, let me just magically generate vector files for our logos'. I must have forgot that section of my resume that said "Graphic Design".

I've also have seen my boss take our logo in paint, expand it and send that thinking it would be higher quality. Made me laugh.

*blows up image in photoshop and mashes sharpen tool over and over again*

"Works for skyrim modders, good enough."

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
It's sounding like they missed the link to the PDF in the text of the message and tried to print a t-shirt based on a photo of an existing t-shirt that I just included for reference. :downs:

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer
A job interview came in....... and went seemingly well.
It would be a bit of a scope change from what I've been doing but that could be good. Who knows might be :yotj: for me finally.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Ha, company charity runs... totally not doing that again.

We were getting T-shirts printed as well, and someone came to me to ask if this logo file they sent out would be good enough to use full size; it was something like a diddy 150x50px .jpg

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

CitizenKain posted:

It seems incredible to me that a company could gently caress up the process of notifying users in that situation.
That seems to just beg for someone to find out they are shitcanned while still in a situation to do something really stupid about it.

Funny thing, this actually happened AGAIN this week while I was on call - got a call overnight Tuesday near midnight to deactivate a user email. So I deactivate it, let the guy who requested it know, he thanks me.

Come into the office today, and the main engineer for that client told me the same guy requested the email be reinstated. :cripes:

Inspector_666 posted:

Very even affect, with a lot of "uhhhhhhhh"s sprinkled throughout.

Ha, this reminded me of an old former client who told me my voice sounded like the Delta airlines voice at the airport

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 5, 2015

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Oh god, logo work. "Hey they said this 300x300 JPG I sent them wasn't big enough so I'm trying to send them the source file, why isn't this 80MB bitmap going through?"

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Nerdrock posted:

The orientation/training guy at an old job would tell a story. It was about the time he went to a Red Robin (a restaurant franchise that he assured us he likes), and when his waitress asked him how he was and he responded in kind, she said, "Oh, I'm SURVIVING" or something along the same lines (I can't remember the wording exactly). Sounds fairly normal right? He went on to tell us that her reply put him off so much that he's never been back to that specific Red Robin. In ten years.

Seriously dude? There was a lot of pettiness from a lot of people at that company, but that goes beyond the pale. I understand if they serve you like a hunk of raw chicken or are repeatedly surly or something, but one offhand, non-standard comment that wouldn't be given a second thought by most reasonable humans and you write off the place forever? There probably isn't even a single person working there now that worked there when they were so impertinent as to not fake bubbly, unambiguous joy for the sake of your porcelain feelings one single time.

The context of this story is always training the people at this company (the place I worked, not Red Robin) to affect happiness and use positive language 100% of the time. For example, never using the phrase, "no problem," and instead using something like, "I'd be happy to," in response to a request or, "it was my pleasure," in response to thanks. Because it apparently leaves a more positive impression in a customer's mind, something subconscious to add to their whole experience and leave them thinking that this place is special. Okay fine, I can go along with that as a policy. But that story you tell just makes you look like a chode, it's not a good example of the way normal people react to things on a conscious level.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Che Delilas posted:

The orientation/training guy at an old job would tell a story. It was about the time he went to a Red Robin (a restaurant franchise that he assured us he likes), and when his waitress asked him how he was and he responded in kind, she said, "Oh, I'm SURVIVING" or something along the same lines (I can't remember the wording exactly). Sounds fairly normal right? He went on to tell us that her reply put him off so much that he's never been back to that specific Red Robin. In ten years.

Seriously dude? There was a lot of pettiness from a lot of people at that company, but that goes beyond the pale. I understand if they serve you like a hunk of raw chicken or are repeatedly surly or something, but one offhand, non-standard comment that wouldn't be given a second thought by most reasonable humans and you write off the place forever? There probably isn't even a single person working there now that worked there when they were so impertinent as to not fake bubbly, unambiguous joy for the sake of your porcelain feelings one single time.

The context of this story is always training the people at this company (the place I worked, not Red Robin) to affect happiness and use positive language 100% of the time. For example, never using the phrase, "no problem," and instead using something like, "I'd be happy to," in response to a request or, "it was my pleasure," in response to thanks. Because it apparently leaves a more positive impression in a customer's mind, something subconscious to add to their whole experience and leave them thinking that this place is special. Okay fine, I can go along with that as a policy. But that story you tell just makes you look like a chode, it's not a good example of the way normal people react to things on a conscious level.

He probably tried to hit on the waitress and she politely turned him down. So you know, she's a bitch.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Che Delilas posted:

Was his name Jeff?

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Maybe I'm just completely embittered, but when I hear a lot of that stuff that you KNOW someone at a call center is faking, it just makes me feel like I'm speaken to a completely broken down human. The best (and most productive) calls I've ever had have been pretty casual sounding because I try to joke around a little with people I interact with, especially if their job is to talk to the public all day. The public are largely terds to anyone who is the face of the business they interact with and I feel bad, as should anyone who's ever had a job where they do that exact thing.

Then again I'm not a cranky old rich guy with tons of purchasing power so I guess gratz on being in the position to punch down HR guy

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Eldercain posted:

Maybe I'm just completely embittered, but when I hear a lot of that stuff that you KNOW someone at a call center is faking, it just makes me feel like I'm speaken to a completely broken down human. The best (and most productive) calls I've ever had have been pretty casual sounding because I try to joke around a little with people I interact with, especially if their job is to talk to the public all day. The public are largely terds to anyone who is the face of the business they interact with and I feel bad, as should anyone who's ever had a job where they do that exact thing.

Then again I'm not a cranky old rich guy with tons of purchasing power so I guess gratz on being in the position to punch down HR guy

My favorite customer at the web hosting company sold dick enhancement pills and he was loving hilarious, because he was upset that he was having to call in, but had such an gregarious personality that it was hard not to have fun on his calls.

Super deep NY NY accent "Eh... I forgot why I was calling I've been on hold so long, I think it was to hear the voice of a rational human that isn't my wife, no wait my server is down."

"Hey... hey kid I got the deal of the century for you, I need my server up, you need a bigger penis. Do they work? gently caress no they don't work, I'm pretty sure they are sugar pills."

He died of a heart attack. We left his servers up for a year afterwords out of love and respect.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Che Delilas posted:

I worked places that took it farther. For example, we were not allowed to say 'the PROBLEM with your software' we had to say 'the ISSUE with the software' because 'problem' was negative, and 'your' would make the customer feel like we were blaming them.

Sad part is, I experimented a little on my own with it, and they were right. By avoiding that language, and using only neutral to positive terms and never actually saying who had the issue(broken computer would be 'this computer' not 'your computer') my overall interactions with customers were better, to the point that I could defuse 99% or more of the irates, and people who were anywhere less than irate loved me within the first minute of the call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

My favorite customer at the web hosting company sold dick enhancement pills and he was loving hilarious, because he was upset that he was having to call in, but had such an gregarious personality that it was hard not to have fun on his calls.

Super deep NY NY accent "Eh... I forgot why I was calling I've been on hold so long, I think it was to hear the voice of a rational human that isn't my wife, no wait my server is down."

"Hey... hey kid I got the deal of the century for you, I need my server up, you need a bigger penis. Do they work? gently caress no they don't work, I'm pretty sure they are sugar pills."

He died of a heart attack. We left his servers up for a year afterwords out of love and respect.

Too many sugar pills finally did him in.

• Locked thread