Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

sonic can always escape with spring jump, excellent

diddy gets trapped after 40%, excellent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

I prefer Duck Hunt for the match-up anyway.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I used to be excited for custom moves opening up gameplay but having tried out and fought against a bunch of custom moves and minmaxed miis I feel like all of the custom elements of tihs game are kind of unpleasant to fight against, and sometimes feel more like you're fighting a hacker than fighting someone with alternate movesets. It sort of isn't fun at all.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm usually surprised how little people bring up Kirby's Pinball Land when they talk about their favorite Kirby game. It's sometimes Dream Course but usually it's Adventure, Super Star, 64, or even Air Ride.

I played the poo poo out of Pinball Land and I want a remake. Also, give us the Tilt n Tumble sequel already. The Wii U tablet controller is just asking for it.

But the best Kirby game is none of those games you mentioned, it's Amazing Mirror followed by Canvas Curse.

On the other hand, echoing that Dream Course does own a whole bunch

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Great, a combo completely useful to all those android gamers who can perfectly time 1/3 of a second in their heads.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Haha, finally something I figured out on my own!

...I should have made a video.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Reiley posted:

I used to be excited for custom moves opening up gameplay but having tried out and fought against a bunch of custom moves and minmaxed miis I feel like all of the custom elements of tihs game are kind of unpleasant to fight against, and sometimes feel more like you're fighting a hacker than fighting someone with alternate movesets. It sort of isn't fun at all.

Can you give some examples of unfun customs to fight against? Just curious since I don't have them all unlocked yet

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
A lot of customs are bad (samus shotgun charge, Marth better recovery), some are sort of lame (Jigglypuff up B changes), but I like them because they open up a chance for interesting counterpicks that aren't really offered by the stage selection.

Customs are cool.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I hope they patch it so custom moves are legal in online For Glory mode, I'd love to see character picks shaken up.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I also want the ability to play online 1v1 in actual stages.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

I hope they patch it so custom moves are legal in online For Glory mode, I'd love to see character picks shaken up.

Yeah, I really like a lot of the customs (particularly Palutena, I think I'd actually play her if they were allowed).

It would also let me use Shulk's alt counter which is the standard all counters should live by

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I would use customs if they weren't an enormous pain in the rear end to unlock. I unlocked ROB's wide-angle laser like five times.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Chaltab posted:

Great, a combo completely useful to all those android gamers who can perfectly time 1/3 of a second in their heads.

Street Fighter has 1 frame link combos, 20 frames is an eternity in most fighting games.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

whalestory posted:

Can you give some examples of unfun customs to fight against? Just curious since I don't have them all unlocked yet

Any of the ones that throw out gigantic windboxes like Mario's heavy cape or Ike's neutral B end up throwing you around and make it super tedious to recover. A Mii Brawler with max shortness and max thickness also feels like cheating almost. Being able to mix and match the stats on your Mii by controlling its attributes gets really broken when you put it to the extreme ends of the scale.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

I've really enjoyed most of Little Mac's customs. One of his side-b's let's him spike people off the ledge (or into the ground for some follow ups) and bury his opponents, the other let's him ignore knockback and shields when he recovers with it. His flaming lunge can sorta be used as a recovery when he's launched upwards, while his shocking lunge, though useless on its own, could be useful when playing 2v2. His tornado recovery isn't as useful as it sounds since it doesn't let him go that much higher and loses its KO potential, but the other one sacrifices height for massive KO potential, putting people in danger at around 60%. Both his counters are also solid choices. You can either use the weak counter to follow up with a smash attack and KO uppercut or use the long-range counter to deal with projectile spam and other long-ranged attacks.

It's really the jumping haymaker that makes him so much fun for me.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

It would also let me use Shulk's alt counter which is the standard all counters should live by

Which one?

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Tae posted:

Street Fighter has 1 frame link combos, 20 frames is an eternity in most fighting games.

That just doesn't seem humanly possible. No wonder I'm terrible at games.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Glimm posted:

That just doesn't seem humanly possible. No wonder I'm terrible at games.

Its like playing Rhythm Heaven, but more punchy

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Blackheart posted:

Which one?

I think it's counter 3, the one that can't be spammed but makes them go to plaid when you trigger it

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

laplace posted:

A lot of customs are bad (samus shotgun charge, Marth better recovery), some are sort of lame (Jigglypuff up B changes), but I like them because they open up a chance for interesting counterpicks that aren't really offered by the stage selection.

Customs are cool.

customs are cool, but i wish there was an option for disabling equipment separate from disabling customs.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

e: wrong thread... poo poo I accidentally let on that I'm way into D&D. I'm ruined!

F. Lobot fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 5, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

F. Lobot posted:

I don't understand how character creation can take two hours. Why do they put so much thought into it? Just combine a bunch of words and play the game.

Wise thief mage dwarf. Back story: I studied at Larceny University and practiced magic on the side. Got kicked out for stealing textbooks but not before I had the chance to read them. Weapon: the mighty pen.
I mostly play Ike.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Reiley posted:

Any of the ones that throw out gigantic windboxes like Mario's heavy cape or Ike's neutral B end up throwing you around and make it super tedious to recover. A Mii Brawler with max shortness and max thickness also feels like cheating almost. Being able to mix and match the stats on your Mii by controlling its attributes gets really broken when you put it to the extreme ends of the scale.

lmao I didn't know that actually affects how the mii plays

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJu40f2IbHI

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Can we get this in the OP?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Now this with Dedede

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

That description is hilarious for all the wrong reasons.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

here are some pictures with friends

well, thanks for reading my post.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
VGBootCamp will no longer be streaming Project: M and will be removing its content from their Youtube channel.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

RIP

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

RIP

Sucks for everyone but it's understandable, I really hate the bullshit "legal action" blanket excuse though I don't think him saying "I want loving money" would be too becoming of him.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
produrrrrdenject mayhem is in effect

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Nintendo unofficially knows perfectly well about Project M, so it's all about gauging at what point plausible deniability crumbles and they have to act to protect their copyright. Pretty understandable move on VGBC's part.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Was it here or reddit where i read that I guess Nintendo's donated consoles, games, gamecube adapters, etc, for the tournament was something like added up to like $30,000-$40,000? All because of Nintendo's sponsorship? Forgoing Project M is a no brainer here. I can't wait to read all the "SELLOUTS!!!" posts.

Also kind of related, I'm getting more and more on board with the idea of "E-Sports" and Esports being included with real sports stuff. I was still like "no that's silly" until I saw a picture of the Smite world championship and it was a loving massive arena just filled with thousands of fans watching it. I mean they have Poker on ESPN so why not.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If the smite championship blew your mind, check out pics from the Dota 2 international. They rented out the old NBA Supersonics stadium which was filled out almost immediately.

Also, Dota 2 was on ESPN last year stream-wise.

And donating equipment isn't new, Evo tournament used PS3's for years despite being the worse console because they were given by Sony years ago and the TO is a cheapskate.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

Nintendo unofficially knows perfectly well about Project M, so it's all about gauging at what point plausible deniability crumbles and they have to act to protect their copyright. Pretty understandable move on VGBC's part.

No one has to act to protect their copyright. Otherwise Valve, Blizzard etc would probably be out of business right now. You're probably thinking of Trademarks. Plus Project M would arguably fall under Fair Use outside of violating the EULA you agree to whenever you boot up the Wii.

VGBC is really being scummy as hell about this. They're in a legal grey area but so is streaming itself, as Nintendo has tried to prove in the past. Worse still, VGBC got popular because of S@W and various Project M streams in the first place. I'd feel better about this if he just said it was because of the money rather than some legal excuse.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Macaluso posted:

Was it here or reddit where i read that I guess Nintendo's donated consoles, games, gamecube adapters, etc, for the tournament was something like added up to like $30,000-$40,000? All because of Nintendo's sponsorship? Forgoing Project M is a no brainer here. I can't wait to read all the "SELLOUTS!!!" posts.

Also kind of related, I'm getting more and more on board with the idea of "E-Sports" and Esports being included with real sports stuff. I was still like "no that's silly" until I saw a picture of the Smite world championship and it was a loving massive arena just filled with thousands of fans watching it. I mean they have Poker on ESPN so why not.

Oh man the various Smash sub-reddits have been pretty toxic on all sides of the PM matter. It was only a matter of time I guess before "They need to accept modding as something every company accommodates and accept." as the next talking point in what Nintendo needs to do to improve itself.

Granted there's a hella lot of things on that list already, really legit things. But the sudden mass of people wanting a company that would most likely rather immolate itself than ever become a publisher on PC and the Steam marketplace to endorse the modding scene is really...dumb.

Viewtiful Jew fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 6, 2015

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

FZeroRacer posted:

Plus Project M would arguably fall under Fair Use

Hahahaha

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

FZeroRacer posted:

No one has to act to protect their copyright. Otherwise Valve, Blizzard etc would probably be out of business right now. You're probably thinking of Trademarks. Plus Project M would arguably fall under Fair Use outside of violating the EULA you agree to whenever you boot up the Wii.

VGBC is really being scummy as hell about this. They're in a legal grey area but so is streaming itself, as Nintendo has tried to prove in the past. Worse still, VGBC got popular because of S@W and various Project M streams in the first place. I'd feel better about this if he just said it was because of the money rather than some legal excuse.

It is about money though. I guarantee that they are working on some Melee/Sm4sh partnership with Nintendo, who would be donating a small fortune in consoles/games/venues/publicity. In exchange though, Nintendo can't be directly associated with anything PM related for legal reasons. If nothing else the shareholders would have a fit with Nintendo supporting a mod that could very easily be seen as "costing them money".

It's honestly in PMs best interest to not pull any attention from Nintendo. Even if Nintendo upper management has no problem with PM they could easily be forced to take action against it by their lawyers for legal reasons or their shareholders for financial ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Nintendo's new Youtube partner system is most likely the reason for this. Basically Nintendo will be more closely monitoring the videos they upload, and submitting PM videos for approval would be too risky.

Nintendo always backslides on their Youtube policies, so it's possible when the grip is loosened that Project M will return.

• Locked thread