Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

qirex posted:

non-california-compensation.txt [this is in houston]

hi yes we'd like you to design our brand, user experience and implement it in code while providing ux strategy oh and also hire and manage your own team for 50 grand and maybe some equity

ooh, they're offering up to 100k for a "Software Architect and Lead Developer" how generous

more like the-actual-reasons-behind-the-Texas-Miracle.txt

housing costs have meanwhile skyrocketed to the point that businesses are starting to whine that they can't get people to move to take the job (because they aren't paying enough).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

another health metric would be "reduced patient readmissions" or "reduced drug conflicts"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

and I don't see how you can discredit the use of frickin computers in pharmaceutical research

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shifty Pony posted:

more like the-actual-reasons-behind-the-Texas-Miracle.txt

housing costs have meanwhile skyrocketed to the point that businesses are starting to whine that they can't get people to move to take the job (because they aren't paying enough).

just for reference someone willing and able to do all of that would get like 200k in the bay area maybe they'd take 150 if the equity situation was good enough

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

theflyingexecutive posted:

and I don't see how you can discredit the use of frickin computers in pharmaceutical research

getting more candidate molecules is great, but you still have to run it through the same trials you did 50 years ago

(also the easy wins are behind us)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

theflyingexecutive posted:

computers can't get drugs through trials

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

qirex posted:

just for reference someone willing and able to do all of that would get like 200k in the bay area maybe they'd take 150 if the equity situation was good enough

for 2% equity you could get a web-writing designer down to $100K, I bet.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

computer parts posted:

reduction of errors is intrinsically tied to increasing productivity

the less time you have to spend loving up and cleaning up your mess, the more time you have to actually do your job

reducing error rates isn't going to get us the orders of magnitude improvements we see in other fields. it's just not. if doctors went from spending four hours a day on their prior errors, to 0 hours a day, that would still only be a 2-fold improvement. not 10-fold. not 100-fold.

it is categorically different from other things in society. more concert violin, less factory worker.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

in a place with $3k rent?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
great, we've stretched the definition to 'anything involving talking to another human'

guess all consulting will face the same terrible fate

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

concert violin

restaurants are a way better comparison imo

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

reducing error rates isn't going to get us the orders of magnitude improvements we see in other fields. it's just not. if doctors went from spending four hours a day on their prior errors, to 0 hours a day, that would still only be a 2-fold improvement. not 10-fold. not 100-fold.

it is categorically different from other things in society. more concert violin, less factory worker.

you're right, the other constraining factor is labor

sd6
Jan 14, 2008

This has all been posted before, and it will all be posted again
I don't think you're entirely wrong about the constraints on productivity increase in healthcare, but I also think you're kinda glossing over rampant price gouging and fraud as part of the healthcare cost issue

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

(also the easy wins are behind us)

idk, new methods to finally culture soil bacteria are pretty goddamn promising

there's a whole fuckign ton of poo poo out there that we haven't yet been able to study simply because we can't grow it in a lab

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
a big part of rising healthcare costs is the rising cost of education. new doctors have 400k+ student loan debt to pay off and the cost of creating a NP or PA is creeping up too - sort of like what happened with lawyers/law schools.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

sd6 posted:

I don't think you're entirely wrong about the constraints on productivity increase in healthcare, but I also think you're kinda glossing over rampant price gouging and fraud as part of the healthcare cost issue

that's not specific to healthcare :smith:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Mad Wack posted:

a big part of rising healthcare costs is the rising cost of education. new doctors have 400k+ student loan debt to pay off and the cost of creating a NP or PA is creeping up too - sort of like what happened with lawyers/law schools.

and the government still literally has to pay people to be doctors out in the rural south because you can't make any money doing it out there compared to cities full of white people

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Munkeymon posted:

restaurants are a way better comparison imo

restaurants are achieving outstanding productivity gains. the number of covers is essentially fixed per seat, so the gains come in the form of labor reductions instead of output increases.

more and more components are made off-site. some casual dining restaurants literally do not have anyone who cooks at all. dishes are assembled from par-cooked components and passed through a conveyor belt to apply the necessary heat

there's a reason that fine dining is moving towards seasonal ingredients, local ingredients and "tasting menus" designed daily/weekly. all three trends are ways to demonstrate that you are avoiding centralized preparation and unskilled assembly in the kitchen

five years from now, your local casual dining outlet might have literally two people per shift, down from a staff of dozens.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

restaurants are achieving outstanding productivity gains. the number of covers is essentially fixed per seat, so the gains come in the form of labor reductions instead of output increases.

more and more components are made off-site. some casual dining restaurants literally do not have anyone who cooks at all. dishes are assembled from par-cooked components and passed through a conveyor belt to apply the necessary heat

there's a reason that fine dining is moving towards seasonal ingredients, local ingredients and "tasting menus" designed daily/weekly. all three trends are ways to demonstrate that you are avoiding centralized preparation and unskilled assembly in the kitchen

five years from now, your local casual dining outlet might have literally two people per shift, down from a staff of dozens.

That's okay. All those people who lost their jobs will suddenly have the free time to learn how to program at a code camp and get a job making six and a half figures.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Mido posted:

not sure what any of these things have to do with anything, sorry about your sad pathetic intern

it's a ~cloud startup~

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

triple sulk posted:

That's okay. All those people who lost their jobs will suddenly have the free time to learn how to program at a code camp and get a job making six and a half figures.

yeah six and s half figures: $6.50/hr

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

pls tell someone ill take a paycut to $100k for 2% equity

sd6
Jan 14, 2008

This has all been posted before, and it will all be posted again

triple sulk posted:

Sounds p deece

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Wild EEPROM posted:

yeah six and s half figures: $6.50/hr

In Bill and Mark's America, this is what things will be like in about 20 years, give or take.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I guess I should have specified real restaurants not the gussied up fast food joints that pretend to be restaurants but at least can sell alcohol

of course even the real ones would still have escaped some of the cost increases since real wages for unskilled labor have fallen even faster than everyone else's since the 70s which would also make the ingredients cheaper so yeah maybe it's not a great example but it's something more people will have some experience with than classical violin

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

As a Millennial I posted:

what are the pinball machines

The old Data East Simpsons and Batman Forever. Despite being such a horrible movie the Batman table is far more fun than it had any right to be. When it's working that is.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mad Wack posted:

i wonder what people are blaming for that since obviously "olympic style academics" aren't a mainstay of med school

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Munkeymon posted:

I guess I should have specified real restaurants not the gussied up fast food joints that pretend to be restaurants but at least can sell alcohol

of course even the real ones would still have escaped some of the cost increases since real wages for unskilled labor have fallen even faster than everyone else's since the 70s which would also make the ingredients cheaper so yeah maybe it's not a great example but it's something more people will have some experience with than classical violin

ok that's fair

i actually considered using fine dining as an example, but it dawned on me that then tori would try to tell me applebee's was 100% comparable to the tasting menu at per se

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mad Wack posted:

well, education is driven by some of the same phenomena

• professor/lecturer productivity per hour doesn't scale with other components of the workforce -- just like doctors' and nurses' labor

• universities are cesspits of corruption, leading to hilarious price-gouging -- just like medicine

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Mad Wack posted:

becoming a doctor costs you around a million dollars nowadays if you include lost wages during the 11+ years of higher education required as well as the debt

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

if you include lost wages during the 11+ years of higher education required

lol shut up

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

other jobs get no improvements whatsoever. a concert violinist produces exactly the same amount of hours playing violin as she did in 1950 and 1850 and 1750. a teacher can get exactly as much one on one time with students as 50 years ago. but the most important, and frightening, consequence is in healthcare: doctors and nurses have the same number of hours in the day as they ever did.

what this means is that the costs of products in high-productivity industries fall (consumer products, software, cars, electronics) while the costs of products of fixed-productivity industries skyrocket (education, healthcare, classical music).

wages have been falling for forty years. cheap imports protect the middle classes from a falling standard of living, because their lower wages can buy the same amount of goods at a lower price. no amount of import substitution will protect them from skyrocketing costs in health and education.

doctor/nurse productivity has gone way up, since there's all sorts of machines that reduce the amount of actual face-to-face time nurses and doctors have to spend with any particular patient. and although teachers have less one-on-one time than before, advancements in curriculum and educational science have the potential to make the time they spend more effective. in both cases, any failure to harness productivity gains is due to some major fuckedupness in the entire industry as a whole

it's not like they're rising 100x every year or whatever, but it's not like there's infinite productivity gains to be had in other fields either. for example getting faster computers isn't going to meaningfully increase a programmer's productivity nearly as much as it would thirty years ago, the main bottleneck in coding productivity now is that all programmers are stupid assholes

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

http://www.er-doctor.com/doctor_income.html and that assumes you only go 100k into debt which well lol I guess your parents were pretty well off then

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Munkeymon posted:

http://www.er-doctor.com/doctor_income.html and that assumes you only go 100k into debt which well lol I guess your parents were pretty well off then

you can't get a job as a ups driver at 18 though, the numbers are a bit bad all around

its also illegal for a UPS driver to work as many hours as a doctor in his 3rd/4th column

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

oh I forgot to mention have you heard of IBM's Watson™ :smuggo:

it's cancer!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Main Paineframe posted:

doctor/nurse productivity has gone way up, since there's all sorts of machines that reduce the amount of actual face-to-face time nurses and doctors have to spend with any particular patient. and although teachers have less one-on-one time than before, advancements in curriculum and educational science have the potential to make the time they spend more effective. in both cases, any failure to harness productivity gains is due to some major fuckedupness in the entire industry as a whole

yeah see this is the techno-futurist poo poo that is just really poorly supported in literature. people talk about huge gains but the cost structures and measures of efficacy we have in the real world don't support it.

if productivity in education is going up, why are the best results coming from the same pedagogies we've used for centuries? is there some mega-school somewhere getting knockout results with 1,000-child classes? please don't pitch khan academy

if doctors productivity is going up, why do we not have GPs seeing 10x or 100x as many patients a day ?

i don't doubt that improvements are made, but they are categorically different from what's happening in other industries

Main Paineframe posted:

it's not like they're rising 100x every year or whatever, but it's not like there's infinite productivity gains to be had in other fields either. for example getting faster computers isn't going to meaningfully increase a programmer's productivity nearly as much as it would thirty years ago, the main bottleneck in coding productivity now is that all programmers are stupid assholes
you're successfully identifying the problem, but in the wrong place. no one (sane) imagines that better technology will make programmers produce 10x or 100x more code

a programmer's productivity can go up hugely because cheaper hardware and compute makes software useful for more things. it's not that the programmer physically touches more software, or produces more lines of code, it's that the code he does produce is more useful. same with factory workers: individual workers aren't doing more stuff, it's that the impact of their work product is magnified by technology. building and repairing welding robots is way the gently caress more productive than being a welder

professions like teaching, live music performance, and medicine are left behind on the productivity gains specifically because there's no power factor like that. the work involves direct interaction with other human beings. productivity can't go up the same way

unless you think you're going to automate diagnosis or pedagogy, you're not going to get the orders of magnitude gains. you will only ever chip away at the edges of productivity issues.

lastly, this isn't a bad thing. it is in no way bad or wrong that some things cost more relative to other things. not seeing productivity gains doesn't mean that medicine or education or concert violin are somehow low-tech fields, left behind by the rest of the world.

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 5, 2015

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Munkeymon posted:

oh I forgot to mention have you heard of IBM's Watson™ :smuggo:

it's cancer!

"expert systems" for medicine were hyped just as hard in the 1980s. medicine was supposed to be de-skilled by the AI revolution. funny how that turned out

all the AI vendors went broke

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

hobbesmaster posted:

you can't get a job as a ups driver at 18 though, the numbers are a bit bad all around

its also illegal for a UPS driver to work as many hours as a doctor in his 3rd/4th column

I think it also ignores that you need to byo truck driving license for which you'll have to take classes of some sort

where do you see a minimum age? pretty sure a friend of mines dad got in right after high school and retired at the ripe old age of 53

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

"expert systems" for medicine were hyped just as hard in the 1980s. medicine was supposed to be de-skilled by the AI revolution. funny how that turned out

all the AI vendors went broke

:thejoke:

I thought the spoiler would give it away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

look at all these cj babbies freezing up at the idea of having to wrench on a pinball machine

• Locked thread