Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

ddiddles posted:

Another year of math? What else would I take after I've gotten the Math 143 and 144 pre reqs for Math 170?

Your CC doesn't offer any courses in calc, physics, or general engineering? Check with your university's ME program to be sure, but you'll almost certainly need to take Calc III, DifEq, and Physics II as prerequisites to a lot of your ME courses. I can take care of over half of the courses I need for my bachelor's at my CC for about a third of the price.

e:f,b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
You could probably find an easy job in campus IT. My experience with work study was $15/hr, 20 hr/week, and using 80% of that time for homework. But yeah definitely try to get a paid internship in the second half.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

My CC offered Calc 1, 2, 3, Linear Algebra, and Differential Equations. I took them all there rather than pay university tuition for them.

edit: also Discrete Math and Boolean Algebra. My degree needs a lot of random math classes that my CC thankfully offered.

Hello Sailor posted:

Your CC doesn't offer any courses in calc, physics, or general engineering? Check with your university's ME program to be sure, but you'll almost certainly need to take Calc III, DifEq, and Physics II as prerequisites to a lot of your ME courses. I can take care of over half of the courses I need for my bachelor's at my CC for about a third of the price.

e:f,b

Ah, I gotcha. My want to move out of my town is trumping my want to save money on tuition, so I'd rather do those classes when they are scheduled during the normal 4 year degree and University of Idaho.

You had me scared that there was another year of math before taking 170 :)

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Honestly, I'd really really consider taking calc and/or diff eq at the community college before you transfer. Get all your basic requirements taken care of first for cheaper in an environment with more personal attention and tutoring resources, so you can focus purely on the upper-level engineering stuff after the transfer.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

My CC offered Calc 1, 2, 3, Linear Algebra, and Differential Equations. I took them all there rather than pay university tuition for them.

Same here, and having linear algebra allowed me to skip some transfer success type class that generally all transfer students have to take. Apparently if you had a class that was a 300 level or above, they assume you'll be fine.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

The Chairman posted:

Honestly, I'd really really consider taking calc and/or diff eq at the community college before you transfer. Get all your basic requirements taken care of first for cheaper in an environment with more personal attention and tutoring resources, so you can focus purely on the upper-level engineering stuff after the transfer.

I appreciate the advice man, I'll definitely think about it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I can't comment on your desire to move since that sounds like a personal thing outside of academics, but I'll really just agree with what others have added: do as much as you can at community college (especially if you're going to be taking loans for university). You'll save money, get more direct instruction, and I found it a lot less competitive.

I also suggest popping into the non-traditional student thread over in SAL since you fit the bill at this point and we answer a lot of the questions you asked here.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

I can't comment on your desire to move since that sounds like a personal thing outside of academics, but I'll really just agree with what others have added: do as much as you can at community college (especially if you're going to be taking loans for university). You'll save money, get more direct instruction, and I found it a lot less competitive.

I also suggest popping into the non-traditional student thread over in SAL since you fit the bill at this point and we answer a lot of the questions you asked here.

I'm wanting to move to shake things up. I know if I stay where I am and continue to go to college for an extended period of time, I'll just slump back into my cushy job and drop out, it's happened before.

Thanks for that link, reading through it now!

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

ddiddles posted:

So at age 27 I decided that skating by through an IT career isn't where I want to keep going, and decided getting an actual degree is probably a good idea.

I hate IT, and am really interested in the internal mechanical workings of machines, so I'm going for a BSMS degree and I've got a couple questions.

Just as devil's advocate:

Taking all of your easy classes at CC means that your graduating GPA from your university will be based only on hard engineering classes. Kind of sucks if you transfer in with a 4.0 .

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

KetTarma posted:

Taking all of your easy classes at CC means that your graduating GPA from your university will be based only on hard engineering classes. Kind of sucks if you transfer in with a 4.0 .
Just crush the upper division classes, duh. :)

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
At least check the people at the university who teach Calc I and II, at mine they were taught by a rotating door of visiting scholars who had very little in the way of English skills. I think in some cases you can get better instructors at CC level for these lower level classes.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Uncle Jam posted:

At least check the people at the university who teach Calc I and II, at mine they were taught by a rotating door of visiting scholars who had very little in the way of English skills. I think in some cases you can get better instructors at CC level for these lower level classes.

Either them, or taught by math departments that take pride in teaching to math majors so making things more difficult than they need to be.

RedReverend
Feb 15, 2003

Just be careful to make sure your CC credits will transfer to your prospective University(ies). Having to retake classes can really slow things down for you.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Uncle Jam posted:

At the CC you'll get a rotating door of adjuncts that are severely depressed over the lack of tenure track jobs for PhDs.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

At the CC you'll get a rotating door of adjuncts that are severely depressed over the lack of tenure track jobs for PhDs.
My math professors were all Stanford or Berkeley PhDs who just legitimately loved teaching and wanted no part of the research side of academia. They were fantastic.

But my CC district seems ridiculously well-funded so I think they're pretty happy all around.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Yeah, I took a few classes in high school at Saddleback (SoCal) and the classes were indistinguishable from lower dividions at my UC.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Gorman Thomas posted:

Yeah, I took a few classes in high school at Saddleback (SoCal) and the classes were indistinguishable from lower dividions at my UC.
Hello SOCCCD student!

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

KetTarma posted:

I had an easier time with the upper-level engineering classes than I did with pure math. Heat transfer and fluids were easier than DiffEq, continuum mechanics was easier than LinAlg, etc.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I just want to say i'm a drafter at a post-tensioning firm in South Florida and i'm really happy to be paid hourly because all the project engineers work massive overtime and are salaried.

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it
I know of technicians that make 40+ dollars an hour and it sometimes makes me question my life choices.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Any recommendations for online resources to look for good mechanical engineering jobs, besides indeed and glassdoor?

Vaminn
Jan 29, 2003
I've used http://www.engineerjobs.com/ to browse jobs before. It's nice for letting you pick which engineering discipline you want to see.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

mitztronic posted:

Can anyone who has worked in several different industries comment on strategies for lateral movement between industries? Is it common/best/easiest to just accept a lower-grade job in the new industry?

I was just offered a prominent job with a bump in pay and a decrease in cost of living but I have rejected it in hopes of moving into the tech industry (I am in aero). I would like to have a job I don't have to worry about my company constantly going under. I would like to make this switch in the next 1-5 years, so I know I have plenty of time, I just don't want to get too far deep into this aerospace hole and never be able to escape.

I live in the bay area and there are less than a handful of companies that do aerospace. In other words, I'm worried my company will tank in the next 5 years and I will have no fallout plan. But here I am sitting in the middle of the tech/consumer electronics industry and I am equally interested in working in that field.

I worked for a large tech company in the Bay Area and have moved to Aerospace out of the bay area. I don't think you have to step down, but you need to be able to perform at the level required of you. If you go from aerodynamic stuff for Lockheed to manufacturing stuff at Apple, you can probably expect to drop quite a bit. But if you were going from some sort of systems eng job that had a lot of supplier management at one to roughly the same thing just in a different industry, I think you'd be fine. I am a Mech E for reference.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

fXQk9NclI3n1K9gqxUNI
EWEXylVuWlr9Ki5cjrYu
sRbXVFCin5bRnQgJ5OHF
W0M8g7PAVLEO29O5tI3g
KIIIewEoj5E53sPHGpkL
mFt5yH5qY2aUd7fN5LvI
qu1l8waGjEqe7R85Y5g0
kSfhY4HBxOtwRdXDMuoX
tv5aoJKuoXoRbNapLwpB
6wMNmqb0wJPNaUxNqJQu

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 27, 2023

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
The book I used to get up to speed with Python was A Primer on Scientific Programming with Python by Langtangen.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

The Chairman posted:

The book I used to get up to speed with Python was A Primer on Scientific Programming with Python by Langtangen.

Thanks for this. Googling the name of it produced a very helpful result. :filez:

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
So this firm I've been interviewing with wants me to fly out to meet with them so they can make me an offer in March. They're in LA, I'm in Nashville Tennessee.

I did some research and it was saying median ME starting salaries in LA are around 60-70k. Does this sound about right?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Maybe for entry level?

I wouldn't move to LA for anything less than 120k, personally.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Yeah, I'm just getting my BSME in May

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 10, 2023

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 10, 2023

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Thoguh posted:

Nobody is going to offer six figures for an entry level ME position that isn't on an oil rig in the North Sea or something.

It wasnt an entry level but yes, the tech industry in the bay area offered that to me. Though the bay area is one of the most expensive places to live in the country. My 1700 sq ft house in Florida on a river is $450/mo less than my 400 sq ft apartment in Redwood City, CA. And I get to have a boat and feed the fish :3

I found this to be pretty accurate between Florida and the bay area: http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/

There are several others you may want to use to get an average idea of what you'd need to make to have a comparable cost of living.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Thoguh posted:

Nobody is going to offer six figures for an entry level ME position that isn't on an oil rig in the North Sea or something.

Err, I know. That's why I said $60-70k would maybe be OK for entry level. When I said I'd need $120k personally, that's because I'm not entry-level and it's the COL-adjusted equivalent of what I make now.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Yeah, I had checked out that site before to compare cost of living and it appears that compensation is appropriate for it. I'm looking forward to not having to deal with seasonal depression out there.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

ObdVwPjAySmAzHnDRTwd
fpDRuT9e4X2WvOFQLSD4
V3A26BrLvEg1jqerCAvS
hAPADp0Tqm0imeacVfXY
Yhet4OytvwFpFfpSlxFv
hgDNShSJU0hXGprezVmv
NUKhH4Pv4Lmyjp3cev6Y
F26BDUGkubLlLeXB0NAg
omOFthz4RsANDVr0UKyb
UohldFNeBf8xaBS10JcY

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 27, 2023

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
I would advise any recent or soon to be EE graduates to try and get into Controls Engineering (PLC programming), it's a really nice niche to be into right now. I make way too much money for how easy my job is.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I wanted to ask some salary advice really quick, I figure some of you might have a good idea for these numbers. I have a company I interviewed that wants a salary number but they haven't made an offer. I'm going to try to avoid answering that until they make an offer, but if they keep pushing I want to be ready with a number.

I'm working in embedded software development in a midwestern city making ~$60k right now in my first job out of school. I was considering asking for $75k, hoping to end up around $70-$72k. Does that sound reasonable?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
That depends entirely on the job market and what you will be doing. Use Glassdoor, BLS, payscale and other resources you can find by googling. You should avoid naming a number if you can. If you can't you should blush just a little bit when you name the number, as long as it passes the laugh test.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

dxt posted:

I would advise any recent or soon to be EE graduates to try and get into Controls Engineering (PLC programming), it's a really nice niche to be into right now. I make way too much money for how easy my job is.

What is your job like as a Controls Engineer? I graduated last May as a Chem. E and have been working as a Controls Engineer at a manufacturing facility and am always interested to hear what life is like for others in my line of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I'm on the DCS side of things, but I'm validating a Pharma configuration. Yay regulated industries!