Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Dessert Rose posted:

what either one of them actually added over emacs or vim

1. Useful mouse support
2. Plug-ins in a language that is not lisp or whatever dumb garbage vim uses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Arcsech posted:

I would probably use emacs if there was a way to make scrolling with the mouse wheel not poo poo

Is there a way to make scrolling with the mouse wheel not poo poo?

mouse user spotted!! :getout:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Scala.JS No Longer Experimental

quote:

Today, we announced the release of Scala.js v0.6.0, the Scala to JavaScript compiler, and dropped the experimental flag associated to it. Yes, you read it right: Scala.js is no longer experimental! After exactly 2 years of development, we finally feel comfortable calling it production-ready.

lol as if even a million years of releases would ever make a gd Scala to JS compiler "production ready". is the regular scala compiler even "production ready" or is it still a huge turd?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

is it scala that they keep messing with syntax on every release? one of those hipster languages has a big problem with redefining half the language every 6 months

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
jfc i've had it here. this loving job can eat poo poo.

i'm sprucing up the resume today.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Blinkz0rz posted:

jfc i've had it here. this loving job can eat poo poo.

i'm sprucing up the resume today.

oh shiiiiiittttttt

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

Luigi Thirty posted:

is it scala that they keep messing with syntax on every release? one of those hipster languages has a big problem with redefining half the language every 6 months

that's rust
but that's hit 1.0 alpha now hasn't it? maybe it's worth learning now

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Scala.JS No Longer Experimental

lol as if even a million years of releases would ever make a gd Scala to JS compiler "production ready". is the regular scala compiler even "production ready" or is it still a huge turd?

if it's production ready, then why isn't it version 1?

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Arcsech posted:

1. Useful mouse support

1. worksforme?? :confused:
2. oh i'm so sorry you don't understand lisp

enjoy writing plugins in python or whatever dumb garbage flavor of the week plang the successor to sublime decides to use

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Luigi Thirty posted:

scala's syntax has been pretty stable but I'm not sure if they've ever retained backwards compatibility between major releases.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Testiclops posted:

that's rust
but that's hit 1.0 alpha now hasn't it? maybe it's worth learning now

they're still breaking poo poo from what I remember hearing and it's run by/flocked to by a bunch of ruby devs so expect libraries to get written and abandoned as a common occurrence

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

and lol if you reach for the mouse when editing text

yes let me grab this analog device and meticulously attempt to point at the text when i could just type a few characters describing the motion i want to make

definitely way easier to scroll until i find what i'm looking for instead of just searching

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

scala's syntax has been pretty stable but I'm not sure if they've ever retained backwards compatibility between major releases.

from the few months I spent with it, upgrading even the smallest version point is impossible because open source scala projects have the loving slowest development process

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

also, after setting up an editor to work exactly how i like, i definitely want to spend weeks doing it again, only different this time, because one person got bored with writing a text editor (which is like one of the most common babby's first projects)

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
scala is bad and I really hate it. it's plang Haskell.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
there are a ton of bad emacs reinventions in progress right now and emacs will definitely outlive them all.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

there's no good way to browse the forums with emacs. although now i am considering it

there used to be pretty good emacs plugins for editing wikimedia and confluence. idk about the current state of the art

Vimium :getin:

Also I use vi(m) plugins for Visual Studio.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Arcsech posted:

1. Useful mouse support

emacs and gvim both have extensive mouse support

Arcsech posted:

emacs will never, ever support anything but elisp, (hopefully) scheme, and (hopefully) common lisp. at least one of these languages is good. if you just can't do what you need to do in elisp, which sometimes happens, emacs has pretty good subprocess management, so you can boot an external process and talk to it. this is how e.g. emacs/java and emacs/scala integration works -- the java/scala engines execute in an external process w/ reflection to get the AST

vimscript is poo poo for idiots, there's no excuse made for that. it sucks and it needs to die. neovim is a fork attempting to replace vimscript with lua.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

pretty much and the code ends up being completely loving unreadable (so I'm gonna quote that post in coc, you know which)

Fullets posted:

Ah, you're quite right – I was thinking of something like the following, which seems well behaved re: the stack and is lazy but, after further thought, doesn't seem to be representable as a right fold.

code:
def countRuns[A: Equal](fa: Stream[A]): Stream[(A, Int)] = {
  def impl(fai: Stream[(A, Int)]): Stream[(A, Int)] =
    fai match {
      case (ap@(a, m)) #:: (bp@(b, n)) #:: t =>
        if (a === b) impl((a, m + n) #:: t)
        else ap #:: impl(bp #:: t)
      case t => t
    }
  impl(fa.strengthR(1))
}

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

lol that code which looks like that is considered remotely acceptable

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

triple sulk posted:

pretty much and the code ends up being completely loving unreadable (so I'm gonna quote that post in coc, you know which)

if i found this code at work i'd have to carefully consider whether i want to fire the responsible individual or just do the world a favor and bury him in an unmarked grave

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if i found this code at work i'd have to carefully consider whether i want to fire the responsible individual or bury him in an unmarked grave

the answer is: both

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

that's the point

you can have some of those cool functional features without giving up your 100% java compatibility and working man's OO

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that's the point

you can have some of those cool functional features without giving up your 100% java compatibility and working man's OO

the real problem with scala that I have, as I've probably said before, is that because the language does basically everything possible within the confines of the jvm, the disparity of code is off the charts

like I can't speak for something like c++ so I'll plead ignorance there, but the code you might write and the code another person writes can appear to be two completely different languages

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
yep that's a major problem. but you gotta pick your battles. nothing is ever gonna be perfect

if it were up to me, i'd rather have the fancy type system and added interactivity, at the risk of having to get very angry with coworkers who mis-use their fancy new tools

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
scala not only includes, but revels in my least-favorite language feature of all time: operator overloading. scala has a lengthy and elaborate set of syntax rules for methods with operator-like names, which encourages people to write terrible libraries full of lovely names you can't google, pronounce aloud, or remember easily

the precedence order of methods literally depends on the method name, just to support the "operator" use case. it's fuckin horrible

but i still like scala

i would just rather they hadn't done that

p.s. the biggest abuser of scala's operator-like syntax rules, scalaz, has essentially abandoned "operators" in favor of human-readable method names with normal precedence rules in its newest version. the "operator" names are retained for backwards compatibility, but removed from the default namespace and the tutorial material. i'm clearly not the only operator-hator

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Dessert Rose posted:

please, tell me what sublime actually added over textmate, and what either one of them actually added over emacs or vim

textmate
sensible hotkeys that cross over to every other professional application out of the box
good colors out of the box
good folder management out of the box
basically good everything built for people who use computer for anything other than just writing text.

ST
Identical cross-platform support and design
preview sidebar
faster and global regex highlighting as you write
fuzzy file grepping out of the box

Vim does some of these with plugins and lots of customization but never as well.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MeruFM posted:

textmate
sensible hotkeys that cross over to every other professional application out of the box
basically good everything built for people who use computer for anything other than just writing text.

ST
preview sidebar

Vim does some of these with plugins and lots of customization but never as well.

emacs can do all of these things. none of them were "added."

you just like the defaults better in ST

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
please do not discuss text editors in the programming thread.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

ok let's discuss git

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

scala not only includes, but revels in my least-favorite language feature of all time: operator overloading. scala has a lengthy and elaborate set of syntax rules for methods with operator-like names, which encourages people to write terrible libraries full of lovely names you can't google, pronounce aloud, or remember easily

the precedence order of methods literally depends on the method name, just to support the "operator" use case. it's fuckin horrible

but i still like scala

i would just rather they hadn't done that

p.s. the biggest abuser of scala's operator-like syntax rules, scalaz, has essentially abandoned "operators" in favor of human-readable method names with normal precedence rules in its newest version. the "operator" names are retained for backwards compatibility, but removed from the default namespace and the tutorial material. i'm clearly not the only operator-hator

i had to quit scala completely when i got sick of trying to google ::{."}}===+_)( bullshit

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
going fully down the rabbit hole, why are you using any language other than asm

give me an easier installation of emacs that works identical to ST across at least windows/mac and I'll switch to that immediately.

i get vim and emacs at a philosophical level, i just don't care.
And I could never get all my vim plugins to work right on windows, or even natively on a mac.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Shaggar posted:

this is the other thread

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MeruFM posted:

going fully down the rabbit hole, why are you using any language other than asm

use intel i432 apx assembly

it's fully object oriented :q:

MeruFM posted:

give me an easier installation of emacs that works identical to ST across at least windows/mac and I'll switch to that immediately.

i get vim and emacs at a philosophical level, i just don't care.
And I could never get all my vim plugins to work right on windows, or even natively on a mac.

install linux; problem solved
(really)

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

MeruFM posted:

textmate

ST
preview sidebar

so what i'm getting from this is that there are some things which i can easily find plugins for in emacs but instead it works "out of the box" in these editors so i should totally move to a new editor and relearn a bunch of crap so that i can have them

or, i could just get plugins for the things i want emacs to do, once, and all my previous things that i already got working are still working

"good colors"? are you loving serious, you want to change editors for a color theme?
"global regex highlighting as you write" are you trolling me because vim and emacs have had this literally forever

the preview sidebar was neat for about two weeks. it's useless. it doesn't provide any useful information whatsoever.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

all of that poo poo is totally worth $25 or $50 or whatever + the hours I'm going to waste figuring out how this editor does a common task that is slightly different from my previous editor. yup. definitely.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
you seem angry

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MeruFM posted:

you seem angry

but he's right

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

MeruFM posted:

you seem angry

mostly mad at myself for not starting on this train the last time I was looking for a new editor, I could be so much more of a wizard now

the hours I spent customizing and learning their particular idiosyncrasies, lost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

but he's right

she, btw

• Locked thread