Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Tippis posted:

Coincidentally, here are some links:

Grabbed Dark Forces. Thanks! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Tippis posted:

Replace the * with 7, and grab away!

Grabbed Jedi Academy, thanks!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
What idiot fucker map designer for Plutonia 2 thought a map needed to have 84 Arch-Viles and nothing else? What is loving wrong with people??

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

RyokoTK posted:

What idiot fucker map designer for Plutonia 2 thought a map needed to have 84 Arch-Viles and nothing else? What is loving wrong with people??

Arch-Violence is the best map ever made

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It's pretty, at least, but after like four or five Archies I think I get the point.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

You've not played all of Going Down, huh?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Dominic White posted:

Yeah I was going to say...I tried to play that map, but I just ended up IDCLEV'ing to the next one.

I forget which classic MegaWAD involves chasing (or being chased) around a maze by 16 or 17 Arch-Viles, but that's probably one of the only Arch-Vile-themed maps that I've really enjoyed.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah I was going to say...I tried to play that map, but I just ended up IDCLEV'ing to the next one.

I forget which classic MegaWAD involves chasing (or being chased) around a maze by 16 or 17 Arch-Viles, but that's probably one of the only Arch-Vile-themed maps that I've really enjoyed.
MAP11 of The Plutonia Experiment, "Hunted".

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

edit: oh are you kidding

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

That's Hunted, in the original Plutonia.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

You should play it, it works out wonderfully and thankfully is rather short.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Ah! Hunted! Yes, I really liked that map. Trying to track down the Arch-Viles one at a time and blammo them with the super shotgun; getting all twisted around in the maze. Good stuff.

Cerepol posted:

You should play it, it works out wonderfully and thankfully is rather short.

I did try it a couple of times, but it felt mostly like I was just spamming the BFG9000 while snapping up invulnerability spheres and soul/megaspheres. I think it falls flat with me in the same sort of way as slaughter maps, which I generally dislike. :sigh:

Side note, I loving love "Going Down". Haven't beaten it completely yet, but it seems like every couple of levels has a really neat mechanic going on that I don't usually see in MegaWADs. For example, "Demonology" has a narrow room that is filled with pillars, except there are triggers all over the place to drop each of the pillars, revealing an enemy. The first time, you might stumble over one, causing an enemy to appear from behind, and as you spin around and backpedal, you set off another pillar, and then two more, and it's just a hectic (but really cool) mess.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

so kaiser, the dude behind doom64ex, is working on another EX engine

can you say EXhumed???

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jia posted:

That's Hunted, in the original Plutonia.

gently caress I am trying to get through Plutonia right now and it's seriously just annoying and the worst. I want to skip it but I shouldn't.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Dominic White posted:

I have played all of Going Down, it's still annoying. The problem with Arch-Violence is that it's just really huge on top of everything else.

Shadow Hog posted:

MAP11 of The Plutonia Experiment, "Hunted".

Which is the "inspiration" for Arch-Violence (it's MAP11 of Plutonia 2), but yeah, that map sucks too. At least that one is pretty short.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There's a really great AV map in Vanguard, by skillsaw. Map 3 - 13 angry archviles. I liked it more than Hunted, though I can't remember why.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

kmxexii posted:

can you say EXhumed???

Where'd you hear this?

EDIT: nevermind, it's on his forum, the one I assumed was empty

EDIT 2: hmm, maybe not

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 5, 2015

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

kmxexii posted:

can you say EXhumed???

Oh man, I hope it's the console version.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I don't want to give the impression, by the way, that I don't like Plutonia 2. It's really good and the levels are mostly solid; Arch-Violence is super lovely but the other maps are good so far (I'm on MAP15 right now).

It's tonally consistent with the original Plutonia and it's leagues better than PRCP.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Jia posted:

Ha, what were the odds of a simul-post like that?

closeted republican posted:

Oh man, I hope it's the console version.
That's definitely the console version. Only question is which console. (I'm hoping Saturn, personally... I can rip the files from that quite easily, since I already own it.)

...I still need to finish that game. Pretty sure I'm close to the end!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tippis posted:

https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=82UXG*zTAwecftpz <- Jedi Academy
https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=vW*VZtn6DecK3XzB <- Dark Forces

Replace the * with 7, and grab away! Aaand… gone.

Well
https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=*NfWF322uU7pX7Nt <- _K_OTOR
https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=dffmn2DTfhE*wehy <- Jedi _A_cademy
https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=xv*WcreHDx3R4B7e <- Dark _F_orces
https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=q6kp4htFwq*VUsFN <- _K_OTOR 2
https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=s*rfbGxhtsau6Dt7 <- Empire at War _G_old

Guess the mystery letter replaced by * and claim the game! (Hint: they're all upper-case.)

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 5, 2015

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Thanks!

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Thanks a lot!

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

I grabbed this one. Thanks!

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
A guy on the Internet somewhere uploaded a ton of old Half-Life mods and maps that are mostly forgotten. Here are the download links for those interested:

https://mega.co.nz/#!M95A0AJA!MEZJGyUCH18e9sKgP4ZCVFAHYDQ_u6K7cGum6lF0J50
https://mega.co.nz/#!0lYFVYaL!EWSDaz2ocwPqH4x8ruLc0W1nbpUeoCtugA7WBImqrSA

Readme file says:

"Half Life & Half Life 2 Mod Collection

Hi guys.

I collected all this from old CDR's I burned years ago, and some more recently. Basicly a large colelction of Mods for HL1 & 2. Some will work with STEAM, some will require the old Disc Based Version of HL. Some may not work at all.

There are SP & MP Mods, some for Oppposing force.

All credit of course to whoever originally created them, I've just compiled them all as a colelction of fun stuff that might be hard to come by these days with long lost files etc.

Have fun, think, shoot, live."

Image of the archive contents

Commander Keenan fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 5, 2015

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Looking for a really solid co-op megawad for Doom. A friend and I already finished MM2 and crave more stuff like it.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

kmxexii posted:

can you say EXhumed???

:vince: :pusheen: :nsavince:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

A proper PC port of the real Exhumed would be fantastic. It was a great game, held back only by obscurity and a lack of proper analogue twin-stick controls. If it's up to the quality of his Doom64 port, I will be overjoyed.

I've not played the PSX version, but the Saturn version was excellent. Far more creative and unique than the PC version.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 5, 2015

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There was a reference on his barely-used forums to "SlaveDriverEX" alongside the previously-revealed TurokEX, so I suspect that yeah, he really is going to go for the console stuff.

Doom64 and Strife have confirmed he definitely knows his poo poo, so I'm looking forward to whatever he cooks up.

Speaking of Doom64, @frankcifaldi posted these on Twitter like a year ago and nobody told me, so I'm reposting them now: High-res promo renders Midway sent to EGM some 17 (well, 18 now) years ago.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I love how Playstation 1 that Mancubus looks.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

RyokoTK posted:

I remember getting the issue of Nintendo Power with that mancubus render on it :allears:

I'd be excited to finally play console PowerSlave/Exhumed. Metroid Prime is one if my most favorite games ever and I'd like to have more of that.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Commander Keenan posted:

A guy on the Internet somewhere uploaded a ton of old Half-Life mods and maps that are mostly forgotten. Here are the download links for those interested:

https://mega.co.nz/#!M95A0AJA!MEZJGyUCH18e9sKgP4ZCVFAHYDQ_u6K7cGum6lF0J50
https://mega.co.nz/#!0lYFVYaL!EWSDaz2ocwPqH4x8ruLc0W1nbpUeoCtugA7WBImqrSA

Cool, thanks for sharing this - the death of fileplanet didn't affect Doom that much but games like Quake and Half-life took quite a hit when all of that stuff went offline.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hey CyRaptor, finally got through your udoom lp. Good stuff! You've really mellowed out lol. I've never been great at doom so finally seeing how all the secrets work was a plus, and getting to see all the alphas was awesome. Definitely looks a lot better than the previous lps as well.

e: did have one question from the video though: you had mentioned in the inferno levels (i think) that one of the demon head wall textures was actually an arch-vile and that there was a story behind it or something, but you never got around to talking about it. Do you remember anything about that?

site fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 5, 2015

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Cacodad posted:

Looking for a really solid co-op megawad for Doom. A friend and I already finished MM2 and crave more stuff like it.

Vanguard is a solid 13 maps of ramping difficulty, split into mini-episodic structure.
Equinox is also a great 13 maps, featuring a very fancy sci-fi and alien take on things, and a final map that reminds you this was the same guy that made Nuts.
Hellcore 2.0 is 12 maps, and all of them are loving massive. Very intricate detail, looks gorgeous as hell, and gameplay is a lot more slowed down--more emphatic on exploring and figuring out where to go next than kill-and-march-kill-and-march.
Jenesis is an overall solid romp by Jimmy, the guy in charge of all those awesome songs you keep hearing again and again. Inspired by the classics, and it shows--a few maps are straight-up remakes of iconic older maps.
Beyond Reality is an extremely surreal trek through a whole bunch of crazy levels. There's a whole bunch of imaginative environments and battles against weird-as-hell enemies, all topped off with incredible music. And then there's AVGN posters on the wall for some reason.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

RyokoTK posted:

Mid to late 90s pre-rendered graphics are my favourite thing - remember when you saw those grainy FMV pre-rendered videos and thought 'one day the actual game will look like that'?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

EvilGenius posted:

Mid to late 90s pre-rendered graphics are my favourite thing - remember when you saw those grainy FMV pre-rendered videos and thought 'one day the actual game will look like that'?

Oh come on, you just want to see that Unreal magazine cover posted again.

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

RyokoTK posted:

The same guy who made Diablo's Heart in Kamasutra. Seemingly innocuous start leads to 'OH poo poo!' when you see the archies, its beatable though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujt4UzVKg20

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Arch-Violence only ever puts you up against maybe three Archies at a time, it's just super tedious to fight that many for that long.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

EvilGenius posted:

We're probably better off.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

EvilGenius posted:

Haha yeah i remember when i got my ps1 it came with a demo disc with Tekken that had a prerendered video at the beginning and my reaction was just so :O :O :O i actually pulled my parents in to watch it too lol. Ah to be young again...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Took this one, Thanks!