Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I have no clue. That whole arc is pretty weird in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
So fan voted combiner's gonna be an Autobot. Can't say I'm really surprised!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Zaa Boogie posted:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
well Cons already outdo bots in terms of number of combiners (unless you count Japan only ones like raiden, road ceaser, etc) so that's okay I guess.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
My guess, concerning Megatron's returns, is that they wanted to give time for other Big Bads to take center stage and give them some time with the ball, so that when Megatron came back his turn made sense not only in a storyline way, but in a balance way (look at all these bad guys already filling the stage, it's time for new blood).

There's probably better ways to do it, but for all my problems with Dark Cybertron (which I think was overall very solid), Megatron having a big hammy villain return co-opted into sense finally being driven in his head was actually something I liked about it a lot.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Yeah I liked it too. Dark Cybertron was probably the strongest IDW tf event. It had a lot of character moments and development, it resurrected Nightbeat, and it introduced autobot megatron, team Windblade, and the Rod Pod. In fact the the universe-threatening event has a character driven solution instead of finding and applying a mcguffin. Then again, I barely remember the other events.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The thing about Dark Cybertron was that it had a torturously slow start and was interrupting MTMTE so that garned it a degree of ill will but once it finally got going, it really worked and the climax was one of the few genuinely satisfying ones to an event in years. It was a breath of fresh air compared to the damp squibs of, say, pretty much every Marvel event in recent memory, the joys of seeing something actually nail the landing.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Well first and foremost Dark Cybertron is based on some hilariously forced retcons that don't make any sense (a project started by shockwave in reaction to a disaster during the disaster at the behest of Thunderwing's loopy research was ACTUALLY a project he began millions of years before then as a reaction to a retconned in message from his former teacher who he thought was a loon while Shockwave wasn't Shockwave as we know him. Brilliant! Makes perfect sense! Also, somehow Shockwave + Time = MAGIC!), and then it interrupted MTMTE's natural progression to dick around with Ammonites and so on. The middle acts are also pretty terrible in parts.

On the other hand the conclusion really does stand on its own as a quietly brilliant little piece of writing, and it did have lots of good character moments plus lead to a more settled in reshuffling of the elements. Galvatron the Barbarian is awesome. Spacebus is awesome. Co-captain Megatron is awesome. These are things they came up with and wanted to do, but were restricted by the direction of the canon at the time they first launched the two book idea. They needed a big reason to bring the Lost Light home.

But seriously let's compare the logic of the ending to the ending of AvX and/or Age of Ultron. Jokes on you! Those books were so boring I can't even loving remember anything other than Namor going surf's up Wakanda!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I didn't like that the entire race of ammonites was just exploded out of existence like that though because they seemed like a neat other mechanoid race to cybertronians. But no, shockwave's pawns.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Presumably they's some Terradores kickin around. Though knowing what transforming robots are like, they'll pick up on some ethical or physical difference that divides their remaining society into two warring factions and proceed to duke it out for half a billion years

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

That was what the hu-mons refer to as a "joke."

Yes clearly. There's some things you just don't joke about though, like rape or having Joe Mad take over a book you want to read. I mean, the universe is listening.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Got some bots today

Almost done with Animated. I think I have three left in this line.

Baby's first KO

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Zaa Boogie posted:

TFW already losing their minds over the possibility that it could be all fembots.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
if they do that then I hope the torso ends up the Motormaster/Prime mold

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Acne Rain posted:

IDW Strongarm

ANYWAY

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Acne Rain posted:

That or Hot Spot could make for a pretty good Strongarm.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Rhyno posted:

Got some bots today

Almost done with Animated. I think I have three left in this line.

Onslaught is one of my favorite 'bots ever. I dunno why, his robot mode just hits every right mark for me. He's like a big beefy Mega Man enemy. Even if one of the plows on his shoulder is a little loose so it flops around while the other stays nice and solid no I'm not mad about it still what are you talking about

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Onslaught is one of my favorite 'bots ever. I dunno why, his robot mode just hits every right mark for me. He's like a big beefy Mega Man enemy. Even if one of the plows on his shoulder is a little loose so it flops around while the other stays nice and solid no I'm not mad about it still what are you talking about

Yup, I played with one at a local shop a month ago and thought he was cool but they wanted $50 for an incomplete one. Scored that guy for $20 off a FB group.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

"Swords and rifles? That is just adorable."

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Saw a CW Prime in stores today (in the dollar section for some reason, whatever). He's pretty beefy, I'm kind of pumped for Motormaster, though gently caress knows when I'll see him.

And god dammit Amazon I'll buy the drat Arcee from you. Just had to advertise the drat thing right above this post, mocking me.

Keldroc posted:

That new SUV/Truck guy for Menasor could be Littlefoot, too. Hmmm, maybe they had this planned... (my god, Groove for Chromia)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Keldroc posted:

I ALREADY DID

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

ALREADY DID WHAT

Anora posted:

(my god, Groove for Chromia)
Pfft, make a Flamewar out of Groove for proper thumbing nose at fandom funzies

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

It was only a matter of time, really.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Do... does...

oh my god

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Weird, what 3rd party company would want to resurrect the gobots?? Seems like a niche market to me!

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Weird, what 3rd party company would want to resurrect the gobots?? Seems like a niche market to me!

None. That's Bandai's Soul of Chogokin line.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

It's also Machine Robo based, hence "Cykill's" friendly appearance.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

Holy poo poo. Are you telling me those are Chogokin Gobots??

gently caress me....

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Keldroc posted:

None. That's Bandai's Soul of Chogokin line.

I was not being serious!

They look pretty sweet, but they're pointless without that weird futurecar

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh no no no. Leader-1, Turbo, Scooter.. Is that two different bots making up Spay-C?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The Goon posted:

Holy poo poo. Are you telling me those are Chogokin Gobots??

gently caress me....

We can call them the Cho-Go-Kin-Bots!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
No car roof acting as the head, no dice. :colbert:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Nice, they even have in the second photo the unreleased to the US/Canada Machine Man/Go Bot Snoop.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Please Bandai keep those wonderful toys out of America. Between Combiner Wars, Masterpiece Figures, and the new M.A.S.K. toys which are apparently GIJoe scale...

:negative:

I really wonder if Hasbro getting the new GoBots copyrights had anything to do with the new machine Robo toys?

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Feb 6, 2015

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

Keldroc posted:

Oh man, I was just getting ready to upload these very same images when I checked the thread.

I really hope this generates a lot of hype for Gobots and Machine Robo!

Also, I really really hope there's a new Puzzler or a new motherfucking DEVIL SATAN 6!(Monstrous)

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So I bet that fan-built combiner is going to have Alpha Trion as a guy.

He's never really gotten a real mass released transforming toy before ever. And with the whole press release they did today about a Combiner who would melt the internet, he's probably going to be part of it.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
Man ain't no one's gonna give that big a poo poo about a Alpha Trion involved combiner,

Lepecard posted:

Oh man, I was just getting ready to upload these very same images when I checked the thread.

I really hope this generates a lot of hype for Gobots and Machine Robo!

Also, I really really hope there's a new Puzzler or a new motherfucking DEVIL SATAN 6!(Monstrous)
Bandai apparently showed off concept art for a SoC at least of one of those a few years ago and if that's true it's certainly possible

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Ugh, I want the car with the flip head so bad, and Cykill, and the drill head guy. At least they didn't make Strika, Zero, and those monster dudes.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Keldroc posted:

Oh man.... they look so awesome. Unfortunately, since they're Soul of Chogokin they're probably too rich for my blood and I can't afford them. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No Rocklords, no buys.