Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kami
Feb 10, 2004

GATTACA!!
GATTACA!!
Charlie slamming the stool every time he passed it was awesome, and the payoff was even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Charlie has always applied intense focus to things that are important to him (The Nightman Cometh, Charlie Rules The World) so it's completely in character. I love how this season has kind of dealt with the reality of Paddy's between none of the gang actually serving drinks in the group dating episode or Charlie apparently being the only thing in between the gang's crazy schemes and the bar failing health inspections. It's absolutely insane to me that a show this old is still firing on all cylinders.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

kami posted:

Charlie slamming the stool every time he passed it was awesome, and the payoff was even better.

It was brilliant, as was Dennis taking credit immediately after Mac prompted him to do so.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Did you flush your shirt? Yes.

I love Frank.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
That was a truly inspired episode, goddamn! :neckbeard: That has to be up there as among the best of the series are we're in season 10!

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
This and the boat episode will be how I introduce people to the show.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'm speechless, that was absolutely incredible. Unless there were some clever edits, that was a 10+ minute continuous shot.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
So on casual re-watching, "what happened to the glory hole cover" happens to point out that the confession hole is still there!

BCBUDDHA posted:

does anybody miss borderline retarded charlie??? this season he's pretty much the smartest one in the gang

He's always been casually competent at the bare minimum. When not completely sniffing glue, he ranges from not being able to read basically at all (The Gang Dances Their Asses Off) to having a functioning survival instinct (not getting in the car in Mac and Charlie Die) to Dennis-level masterminding (Dee and Charlie Find Love). It's not out of character for him to either completely gently caress something up or to completely surprise everyone by secretly running the show.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

ultramiraculous posted:

I'm honestly surprised they're not calling out a True Detective homage. I swear I remember reviewers saying this episode "put True Detective to shame" before Birdman's style became widely known.

Also this episode was great. I went into it thinking it felt a little "off" after last week, and I had a ~worried about the show~ moment, but drat did it deliver.

It's not really a new thing to have a continuous long shots, Hitchcock was doing that back in 1948 with Rope, and Scorsese did it in Goodfellas. It's not exactly groundbreaking. But it is a pain in the rear end to pull off.

Nothing against the directors and editors who made it happen, since that is actually a fine technical achievement. But the whole, 'They're doing a Birdman/True Detective homage' doesn't exactly ring true, since that's been a thing for almost 70 years.

Still, hats off to the director and editors who pulled that off. Lesser directors would have balked at the task, and being compared to Hitchcock and Scorsese is no slight.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Feb 5, 2015

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
What a goddamn masterpiece.

Easily my new favorite episode.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

thrakkorzog posted:

Nothing against the directors and editors who made it happen, since that is actually a fine technical achievement. But the whole, 'They're doing a Birdman/True Detective homage' doesn't exactly ring true, since that's been a thing for almost 70 years.

I still think it's an homage, of sorts, to True Detective and McConaughey because of Dennis' repeated use of the phrase "alright, alright, alright." It still makes me laugh every time he does that, even after the third rewatch. Yes, that's how great this episode is, I've watched it three times already.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
The look Dennis gives Mac when he "casually brings something up" is the epitome of disgust and hate.

Hands down one of the best episodes of the series. If people see it with no prior knowledge of the show they are going to have a serious wtf experience though.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
I don't know why but I thought Dennis mumbling "I was irritated" was the funniest line I've heard in a while.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

That was a great episode for my birthday. These guys!

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
This last episode was a pretty stressful viewing experience.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I'm speechless, that was absolutely incredible. Unless there were some clever edits, that was a 10+ minute continuous shot.

Someone linked an article that explained the entire process but yeah there were quite a few very clever edits. Whenever they go outside or down to the basement it's a visual effect edit.

Such a great episode. This is one of those episodes where commercial breaks really take away from the experience though.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
While Charlie Day completely owned in the episode, Glenn Howerton has really been perfect this season. They've really stepped up Dennis's insanity and Glenn has pulled it off great. He's gotten Dennis's crazy faces and mannerisms down so well I'd probably actually feel uncomfortable meeting him in person despite knowing he's just an actor playing a role.

His speech to Frank on the airplane where he goes over his thought process when picking his targets, his breakdown when getting scored 0 on date rating sites (and him glaring at Dee for rating men 0's), his reaction to the mental hospital being closed down and taxes, and his interaction with Mac in this episode.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Anosmoman posted:

The look Dennis gives Mac when he "casually brings something up" is the epitome of disgust and hate.

I found it hilarious that his reaction was to claw Mac in the face.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Accretionist posted:

This and the boat episode will be how I introduce people to the show.

This was a stellar episode but a horrible choice to introduce people to the show. It was full of callbacks to previous events and references to character traits of the gang that weren't explained in the episode in a self-contained way.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I loved how the entire gang had no clue why they were doing any of the things they were doing, but just kind of decided to go with the flow because I guess either they figured it was part of the steak plan or just for the hell of it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Someone linked an article that explained the entire process but yeah there were quite a few very clever edits. Whenever they go outside or down to the basement it's a visual effect edit.

Ah. Yeah after re watching I can tell how they did the edits. I guess I should have figured that anyway since the exterior shots are not the interior bar set. Still a very awesome sequence though, playing out in real time you can really feel then intensity of it. Plus a stellar performance by Charlie Day.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

thrakkorzog posted:

It's not really a new thing to have a continuous long shots, Hitchcock was doing that back in 1948 with Rope, and Scorsese did it in Goodfellas. It's not exactly groundbreaking. But it is a pain in the rear end to pull off.

Still, hats off to the director and editors who pulled that off. Lesser directors would have balked at the task, and being compared to Hitchcock and Scorsese is no slight.

Yeah, those are massive Hollywood productions. This is a niche sitcom.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

HEY YOU! ... Alright alright alright

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Criminal Minded posted:

Yeah, those are massive Hollywood productions. This is a niche sitcom.

Meaning what? That still doesn't make it something new.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

ChesterJT posted:

Meaning what? That still doesn't make it something new.

It's not about newness, it's about how impressive of a feat it is considering time and budget constraints as compared to a huge Hollywood studio production. Something not being new doesn't make it unimpressive.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
After the 'Goddammit' compilation, I want one of every time Dee gets called a bitch now. I feel like they've really ramped that up in the recent seasons.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

King Vidiot posted:

It's not about newness, it's about how impressive of a feat it is considering time and budget constraints as compared to a huge Hollywood studio production. Something not being new doesn't make it unimpressive.

And it's still not something you regularly see on TV. Not to get too hyperbolic with the analogy, but in the late 60s the reaction to the Beatles using orchestras in their music wasn't "Psshhh, write a full symphony and get back to me."

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Wait, is someone really not impressed with that episode?

gently caress that. That was some extraordinary television.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This is one of the best episodes ever. Really impressed.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
That episode was like a Rube Goldberg machine. I can't believe the AV Club only gave it a B+.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
AV Club has been really down on Sunny for years in a weird way.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
That was a phenomenal episode.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Waltzing Along posted:

Wait, is someone really not impressed with that episode?

gently caress that. That was some extraordinary television.

Oh it was fantastic, one of my favorites, but it's not groundbreaking or more impressive just because it was done on tv or that they don't have a "hollywood budget". And calling a show on it's tenth season with at least two more bought and paid for hardly qualifies as niche tv.

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

Meatwave posted:

That episode was like a Rube Goldberg machine. I can't believe the AV Club only gave it a B+.

Same reviewer gave "The Gang Desperately Tries to Win an Award" a B+. To me, that episode and this one are top 5-10 all time. Guy just seems like a dipshit to me.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
What's wrong with a B+ :psyduck:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I've been kind of laying off It's Always Sunny, because it's one of the few shows I prefer to binge watch, but I had to see this episode. Goddamn, was it worth it.

Dee being the only one who hosed up her part was hilarious, as was no one even knowing what Charlie was having them all do.

Irish Joe posted:

What's wrong with a B+ :psyduck:

Eh, I think it was better than that, but it's not like the guy called it an average episode. He actually heaped a ton of praise on it.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 6, 2015

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Holy poo poo, I haven't read anything in the thread, but I'm just getting caught up.

That might have been the best episode they've ever done.

Khaba
Oct 29, 2011
That was an absolutely phenomenal episode, right up there with "The Gang gets Trapped" for me.

Also, I saw it mentioned here a bunch of times, but Dennis has just gotten better and better, dear lord it's amazing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What exactly was the scam though? They bought airline miles and used those to buy steaks. They planned on contaminating the steaks (how would anyone even detect the contamination with the original plan?) with the chickens and then sending the steaks back to get cash. Where do they make money? They'd have to just pay off Frank's credit card as well as pay for those chickens. Not to mention that vacuum sealer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
You mean the gang jumped into an ill thought out plan for short term gains, without taking other costs into account??

:aaaaa::aaaaa: