Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unlurked
Jan 20, 2006

Set phasers to HURT!

Emron posted:

iOS gaming teaches us all that life is meaningless, and that our greatest aspiration should be to wrench the last dollar from the last fist in everything we do.

If it's any consolation when we come back to iPad with v2 it will be as a premium app with no IAPs. If we don't get featured it will basically be a labor of love, because we will get virtually zero sales. But I like this drat platform so it will be released not matter what :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
drat. Thought this would never happen.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Has anything been said about the next Solomon game in the last like...two years?
Solomon's Keep was great and Solomon's Boneyard was an even better 10 minute "one more try" timewaster, and there hasn't been anything since :smith:

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Kaboobi posted:

Has anything been said about the next Solomon game in the last like...two years?
Solomon's Keep was great and Solomon's Boneyard was an even better 10 minute "one more try" timewaster, and there hasn't been anything since :smith:

If it came out now it'd be on an energy/gem system anyway, so it's a blessing in disguise.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Kaboobi posted:

There's some kind of long running lawsuit that's preventing them from finishing it proceeding. There's just not that much info out there and they haven't said much more than that.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 5, 2015

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I am also sad about Desktop Dungeons and it's lack of release.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

DNK posted:

I am also sad about Desktop Dungeons and it's lack of release.

This is from their forums a couple weeks ago (the second poster is the developer):

Been slow going but it's gonna come out! They've confirmed it won't release until after GDC, though (which is in the first week of March)

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Alright y'all, time for the Great February Fone Cleanup. Post all the games you've got on your phone, give 'em a two-sentence or so description, delete them if you don't like them, replace them with those other people recommend.

Spaceteam -- not a lot of opportunity to play it anymore, but it's the best mp game on iOS and it's free, so. Keep.
Hoplite -- fun and decently complex isometric roguelike. Keep.
ZONR -- a 'touch the biggest block' game. The best part is when you start it up and it goes zooooonrrrr in a way reminiscent of SEGGGAAA. Fun time-waster, but. Delete.
Friendstrap -- a weird and kinda fun two-player game from the sadly defunct Game Oven. Limited use. Delete.
Oquonie -- I have no idea what's going on in this game but I love it.Interesting art style, weird puzzles I only sort of get, captivating. Keep.
Threes -- another go-to poop game. You know what Threes is. Keep.
Blackbar -- an interesting word game where you 'decensor' correspondence. I've been stuck on a word for like a month but I'll get it eventually, right. Keep.
10000000 -- My favorite Match-3. And the sequel's coming out any day now, right? Keep.
Bounden -- another Game Oven joint. Two-player dancing game. Again, fun, but see Friendstrap. Delete.
ASYNC Corp. -- this game has GOT to have some deeper plot, right? I should delete it, but I won't. Kind of a Bejeweled-like. Match like-colors to make blocks, then tap the blocks to make them disappear. Keep.
Zengrams -- I have never actually opened this game. Delete.
Lamp'n'Vamp -- kind of like Hoplite, but with different powers and enemies. Vampires, son. Keep.
868-HACK -- another decent little roguelike, kinda cyber-punky // 90's Hacker-y. Keep.
Nightmare Cooperative -- the last of my roguelikes, this one's cool because you control multiple characters at once with different powers. Balls hard. Keep.

Recommendations -- Hoplite, Threes, 1000000, 868-Hack, Nightmare Cooperative.

Xenochrist
Sep 11, 2006

Bogart posted:

Alright y'all, time for the Great February Fone Cleanup. Post all the games you've got on your phone, give 'em a two-sentence or so description, delete them if you don't like them, replace them with those other people recommend.

This is a great idea, thanks for getting the ball rolling. I think I picked up Hoplite when it was free a couple months ago but forgot to check it out, I'll do so tonight.

Bitcoin Billionaire - tapper game. Bored with it after many weeks of tapping. Delete.
Kingdom Rush Origins - not as good as the first 2 iterations in KR series, but still fun now and then. Still haven't completed every stage. Keep.
Crusaders Quest - side-scrolling rpg-type game with pixel art. Stamina-timer and slot-machine hero acquisition with IAP. Might be possible to play without IAP but I'm doubtful. Delete
Pixel Defenders Puzzle - unsure, picked up for free via reddit thread. Couldn't make it past the tutorial. Keep because I'll try it someday.
Blackjack - simple mindless airplane game. Keep
MageGauntlet - I'll beat new game + sometime....right? Keep.
Wayward Souls - Still haven't maxed a single hero yet, will one day. Keep.
PunchQuest - Side-scrolling fun, collecting hats. Keep
Jetpack Joyride - Side-scrolling fun, developer still updates now and then. Keep.
Puzzle & Dragons - terrible game, still hopelessly addicted. Keep.
Clash of Clans - terrible game but still playing after a year and a half. Keep.

Recommend: These games are all heavily discussed in this thread so no real hidden gems for me to recommend. But I do recommend that you stay the hell away from Pad and CoC.

Looks like I got rid of 2 games, not bad for me (I tend to hoard games on my phone that I never play).

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

I've been consciously trying to avoid games that are bigger time commitments, and hadn't cleaned out my phone yet, so thanks for this idea.

Threes: discussed already to death. Keep.
RGB Express: Trainyard-like game but with delivery trucks. Ramps up in complexity slowly, but has a LOT of levels. Keep.
Duet: An action/arcade game where you dodge obstacles with two dots that encircle each other. Picked up for free, surprisingly fun and challenging. Keep.
Framed: Puzzle game where you maneuver comic book panels to alter the outcome of a series of events. Keep.
Goblin Sword: colorful but very barebones platformer with modern goals like "collect all three crystals in a stage." Can be challenging at times. Keep.
Hoplite: Great roguelike - challenging, not too obtuse, lots of challenges to shoot for. Keep.
868-HACK: Same as Hoplite above. Keep.
Lamp and Vamp: Roguelike, avoid enemies using skills with health tradeoffs. Haven't played much yet, but I do like what I did. Keep for now.
MLB Perfect Inning: An always-online baseball game with player acquisition mechanics similar to buying real life baseball cards. Super stingy with real money currency and a huge pain in the rear end to progress in. I would delete this in a heartbeat if I didn't love baseball. Keep.

Skullduggery: Navigate stages by Angry Birds-style slingshotting a skull, meet time/collection criteria. Not my cup of tea. Delete.
Kingdom Rush/KR: Frontiers: Great, classic TD games, but too long a play period to commit to for me. Delete.
LostStar Tactics: Great SRPG, but also too big a time commitment for me. Delete.
XCOM: Enemy Within: I love XCOM but can't be bothered to play it on my small phone screen/lovely load times. Delete.
GTA: San Andreas: Same complains as XCOM - my favorite GTA game by far though. Also the controls are frustrating. Delete.
All Star QB: New Star Soccer for American Football, but way shittier. You only take over at select times, you only take over in passing situations, and the energy economy is borderline predatory. If I didn't like football I'd have deleted this game before I even thought about writing it. Delete.
King of Dragon Pass: A great game, but again just not something I have the time to sit down and enjoy for a stretch. Delete.
Shades: A weird Tetris-y/Drop 7 like game that was free on the AppStore. I forgot I had it. Delete.

Recommend: Very few games mentioned that I'd actively dissuade people from checking out, but for things I don't see mentioned a lot I'd say Duet and Goblin Sword.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Puzzle & Dragons - Freemium puzzle poo poo that's super fun
Terra Battle - Freemium puzzle poo poo that's super fun
Battle Cats - Freemium castle defense poo poo that's super fun
VainGlory - Freemium MOBA poo poo that's super fun
TwoDots - Freemium puzzle poo poo that's not really fun but can't be bothered to delete

and

XCOM: Enemy Within: I play this on my iPad 90% of the time but sometimes I like to give a mission a go on my phone when I have time to kill

It's me. I'm the guy killing iOS gaming. That said, Terra Battle is super fun and absolutely playable without spending a single cent. Puzzle & Dragons I've dropped more money than I care to admit but it's something I've been playing for over 2 years so all things considered I'm happy with it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Nimblebit games - Yeah, I kept them after I maxed them out because occasionally the more recent ones still get updates and I'm a sucker for time-tapping. I should probably delete all but Tiny Tower Vegas and Disco Zoo but I'm too lazy.
Deep Loot - Fun action game where you collect coins and complete collections. Recently updated with more stuff to do. Keep.
Words with Friends - I would delete except my wife and I still play each other. Keep.
Crossy Road - Unlocked nearly all the original characters and then stopped playing once I demolished my brother's high score. Fun but a regrettable delete.
Tiny Thief - A really, really fun puzzle and tap adventure game. I think it's time to let it go. Delete but really recommended for anyone who hasn't played it.
Trivia Crack - It's trivia with a Trivial Pursuit-style versus tilt. Six categories (History, Art, Science, Geography, Sports, and Entertainment) and you spin to pick a category. Answer three correct and you can try to grab a "piece". First to collect six pieces win. Keep, if you've got friends who like trivia.
HoldEm - I STILL HAVE THIS. Apple's own Texas Hold'em game when the app store first launched as a demonstrator. It still inspires me to loathe all the Apple employees they got to model all your opponents. Keep only because you can't download it anymore.

Nevz
Aug 13, 2009
Had no idea that there was a sequel coming out for 1000000 found out it's called you must build a boat. Anyone has any clue on release date? Is it nearly ready! Cannot wait!!

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Carcassone: A classic board game that I've never taken the extra step to figure out asynchronous play. I'll do it eventually. Keep
Disco Zoo: Pattern matching + nimblebros timer. I don't play it anymore and it keeps an annoying red number in the corner of my game folder. Delete
Dodonpachi Maximum: Bullet Hell. MAXIMUM BULLET HELL. Keep
Lili: A beautiful adventure game I got to see how pretty iPhone games could be. I should play more then the intro at some point. Keep
Nimble Quest: Snake + RPG characters by Nimblebros. Keep
Puzzle & Dragons: I do not regret the puzzle life I've lived. I could probably delete all the other games on this list and not notice. Keep
Ridiculous Fishing: It's title says it all. I'm pretty sure I've done everything there is to do in this game. Delete
Shantae: I like Way Forward, I hate virtual controls. It's on Steam now. Delete
Ticket to Ride: More board games in my pocket. I never learned to play, but I will. Keep
Golfinity: I really wish I could change the camera angles. Keep

Probably the only game that no one else will mention is Dodonpachi. It's $12 though.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
XCom
FTL
GTA Chinatown Stories
Kairosoft flavour of the month - currently Magazine Mogul
Frozen Synapse
Chess.com

They're all games you need to sink your teeth into so they're all keeps.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Oh cool, I've been meaning to clean up my phone so this is an excuse I guess

Keep
Motorsport Manager - This game is just fun and is easy to hop on and spend 5 minutes on when you've got a short wait. Usually play on ipad, but cloud sync works well and I occasionally open it on the phone and do a qualifying run.
Vainglory- mostly play on ipad, and for some reason I've convinced myself I should keep it on my phone even though i find it nearly unplayable on a 5s. Game occasionally makes my eyes cross with anger, definitely has that 'MOBA touch'
Fat Chicken- not sure why I'm keeping this. semi-clever tower defense game where you are a chicken farmer and have to inject your chickens with steroids and food/water to make them as big as possible before they reach the end of the path. Either this game has almost no strategy involved or I'm missing something.

Delete
Crossy Road- just tired of these type games
Township- am really into city builder type games (Banished on PC was amazing.. please help me find something like that on ipad/iphone) and keep falling for these freemium piece of poo poo timer games
Retry- Rovio airplane tiny wings-esque game (but much harder) just didnt care for this
The Firm- fun little swipe left or right as fast as possible game/diversion, but just never play it anymore
Nightmare cooperative- got this free during some sale, just not my cup of tea
Table Tennis- cool game, but prefer it on ipad
Viking Saga- this is the roads of rome guys, I loved RoR and didnt realize they've cranked out like 5 reskins since. Same old gameplay (time management/resource management.... thing), but I play this on ipad and not iphone

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

This is a great idea, though badly timed as I recently had a clear out of my own accord. I used to completely hoard iPhone games but never play most of them, so I'm now limiting myself to one page, no folders. Most of my deeper games are on the iPad unless the interface works really well on the phone, so most of my phone games are quick "pick up and play" affairs.

Words with Friends I have one friend that won't give this up, so reluctant keep.
Crossy Road Got sucked into this one over Christmas but I really don't need to be wasting time on it any more. Delete
ASYNC Corp I'm amazed this one has already come up, I thought I was the only fan. A great puzzle game from the early days of the App Store, loads of personality and I really wish it had done better for the devs. Not even updated for the 4" screen but I'll be taking this one to the grave, so keep.
Retry Physicsy pixel art plane "sim". Good fun, need to play a bit more. Keep
Out There Space adventure game. Keeping until something better in the genre appears.
Spaceteam Hardly ever play, but worth keeping around for parties.
80 Days Best example of interactive fiction around. Not sure I'll ever get back into it, but worth keeping just in case.
Threes Puzzle game, reputation speaks for itself. But I never play it anymore, so delete.
Puzzlejuice Stylish cross between Tetris and a wordsearch. Don't play very often but hard to let go. Keep
Orbitum Orbital trancey minimalist twitch game. Good fun but not launched in ages. Delete
Oquonie As already mentioned, a weird puzzle game with a great art style and no idea what's going on. Keeping to figure it out.
Sunburn Brilliant concept, orbital physics based morbid pseudo-puzzle/action game. Completed it on my iPad but keeping because it's great to show people.
Sonic 2 One of my favourite games ever, but never play on the phone. Delete
QuizUp Recently reinstalled, a great quick quiz game for on the toilet. Keep
Jetpack Joyride I hate to think how much time I've poured into this over the years, but I'm burned out now so delete.
Ski Safari Another endless runner. I wanted to like this more for the snow aspect, but Jetpack Joyride's better. Delete.
Hook Recent recommendation from a friend but haven't got into it yet. Keep

I feel like I should throw a special mention out there to Evoland which finally got an iOS release this week, but to be honest it's not great in its current form. Once the controls are improved it's a brilliant concept though, I completed it ages ago on PC and still insta-purchased this one. Might be better on iPad rather than phone as the game goes on.

Edit: I also have Reversion on there (Bejeweled++ with bonus word mode), but that has to stay because I made it..

Froist fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 6, 2015

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
After trying a handful of each, I've settled on MobilityWare's solitaire, MightyMighty Good's sudoku, and Zoo's mahjong nagomi (Japanese/riichi 4 player mahjong, not the solitaire kind).
Otherwise, wasting time with Tap Titans, Punch Quest, Deep Loot and Desert Golfing. Current weakest link is Deep Loot.
Also been playing Combo Queen, which is hard but has a neat design.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Glad everyone likes the idea! :D And again for my iPad, which is my usual collect-games-like--a-squirrel-stuffing-its-cheeks device.

FTL -- Firefly Spaceship simulator roguelike. Owns. Will probably never get rid of it. Keep.
Wayward Souls -- great game! Hope it gets that PC release that was talked about a while back because even with the pretty good touch controls I still get frustrated. Delete.
Hitman GO -- great aesthetic. Fun game. Hitman as a kinda boardgame. Ave Maria. Keep.
80 Days -- my favorite Sorcery!-alike. Looks great on the big screen. Keep.
CounterSpy -- the controls kinda suck, but again, I love the aesthetic and all that. Third person spy game with occasional first-person shooting. Has upgrades and a bigger metagame in a kinda XCOMy way. keep.
Monument Valley -- used to be on my iPhone but I figured it'd look better on the bigger screen. Still a staggeringly pretty game. Keep.
Valiant Hearts -- beautiful looking WWI puzzle game. Proof that Ubisoft can make good games in between Assassin's Cry: The Crew. Keep.
Jack Lumber -- Fruit-Ninja, kinda, with a pretty funny story and levels. Not that far into it, but I like it. Keep.
Beat Sneak Bandit -- rhythm-based puzzle game. Fun, but short enough that it would do better on my iPhone. Delete.
Sailor's Dream -- I love all of Simogo's stuff, but this one might be the weakest. Go around and look at things. Pretty things. Delete.
Radiant -- Space-Invaders with weapon progression, a kinda-there story, and is hard as balls. One of the first games I ever bought on iOS, but it's so sloooow. Delete.
Cook Serve Delicious -- hardcore restaurant management sim. Perfect for tablets, just long enough to burn some time. Keep.
Calculords -- if DOTA2 was a card game, maybe. Not really. Fun little witty cad game, but too much grind. Delete.
rymdkapsel -- Difficult to describe. Build a base in space? With little tetris dudes? And stave off red-line invasions. Delete, maybe? I feel like it's a game that you need to have a lot of sleep after to understand.
Democracy 3 -- Great little politics simulator game, now mobile. Keep.
FRAMED -- comic-book game where you can change the sequence of events to continue. Weird, but fun. Keep.
Kingdom Rush Origins -- the elvy dudes just aren't grabbing me right. Tower Defense with heroes. Delete.
Icewind Dale / Ending -- bought on a lark. Haven't touched it yet. Keep, for now.
Year Walk / Device 6 -- owns. Everyone should play these. Keep.

Recommends -- FTL, Cook Serve Delicious, Democracy 3, Year Walk, Device 6.

Downloaded Deep Loot and Reversion based on recommendations so far. :D

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
Just got an iCade, and it's awesome with Pinball Arcade and the Midway collection. What else would go great with it? I would think the Atari Greatest Hits, but it's apparently delisted.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Here is my iPad.

The action section
Punch quest Probably the best endless runner. I usually don't play much anymore, but my nephew loves it. Keep
Time surfer I got it for free but haven't tried it yet. I'll keep for now.
Ramboat another endless runner. Brand new and pretty fun. Though I'm starting to hit a wall so I might toss soon
Hookshot escape with tobe and friends another fun little endless that was free recently. It bit harder than the other and I have unlocked most the stuff now. I'll probably toss.

RPGs
SMT the first game of the series. And a pretty good port. But it is a huge time commitment and I lost my place in the story. Delete.
Monster Hunter:Freedom unite Probably one of the best ipad games out there. But holy gently caress is it difficult. Basically it is the closest thing you will get to dark souls for the iOS. I got something like 60 hours in the game and I'm not even half way through it. Though I'm almost to the grindy part. I'm going to keep it.
Avernum I haven't started it yet, but I do love me some spiderweb software games. I'm going to keep it.
Dues ex I had my doubts when I got it, but since then I have a blast. I am sure there is a story but hold on there is a gang over there with some phat loot so I'm gonna kill them instead. Keep
Battle arena a fun little free to play. The IAP isn't too bad and it is very simple. Just fun battles and crafting equipment. Keep

Puzzles
World of goo well I don't play often but it is a fun game. I already beat the wii version years ago. Delete
Hoplite I'm keeping this.
Ballons TD 5 I just got this from free sales yesterday. I have beaten a few levels on medium. Keep
Tiny Thief a great game. My nephew will play it for hours whenever I see him. Keep
Kingdom rush: frontiers another great TD but I rarely play it. It is small enough I'll keep it.

Freemium games
Hearthstone I love it. I have a pretty decent collection and enjoy completing the daily quest.
Seabeard A fun little animal crossing esque game. I have gotten past the slow start and now I have too much to do on the game and I haven't even unlock the temple full of rock golems or the archeologist crew member. The upcoming update is designed to make the early game a lot more fun. The current update removed all the major paywalls, I actually think it is a little too generous. I have all the premium poo poo I want for free and I'm still getting pearls a good rate. I'm not sure what to do with them now.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I have like 65 games on my iPad. Guess I'll write this up soon! haha.

edit: someone could diagnose ADD from this games list. or some weird hoarding. remember, this is on my iphone.

Edit:
IPhone
Delete - Wayward Souls (got it on iPad, where it's better)
Delete - Terraria ""
Delete - Out There ""
Delete - Siralim (never played it)
Delete - Hero Emblems (it's good but too grindy)
Keep - Hitman Go (it's great)
Keep - Strata - very pretty weaving puzzle
Delete - Perfect paths - programming puzzle that i freakin suck at and it just makes me feel dumb
Keep - Qatqi sort of like scrabble mixed with a dungeon crawler.
keep - interlocked - one of my favorite games. tactile wood block puzzle game that I'm good at and it makes me feel smart!
delete - zengrams - pretty but doesn't grab me
keep - third eye crime - fun stealth game where you play a telepathic thief
delete - BAMF - mindless beat em up. decent streets of rage clone, but There's a reason I loved streets of rage when I was nine.
keep - daddy long legs - fun flappy-like where you try to make a two legged spider (or horse) walk. demented and funny and addictive.
keep - bean dreams 2 - kumobiousssssssssss and it's a good platformer. haven't got to that point in it that it's just too hard for me yet.
keep - device 6 - need to finish this freakin thing
keep - 80 days - it's great
delete - monsters ate my birthday cake - good puzzler, just not my thing
keep - mayday - gotta play this, impulse bought
keep - shadowmatic - fun shadow puzzler game
keep - zen garden - awesome if graphically basic puzzle game where you're always within three moves of solving the puzzle
keep - socioball - fun puzzler, haven't got sick of it yet
delete - conquerers dice - what the heck is this game??? its taking forever to patch (it patched) what the hell is this game?
keep - all the mikey games
keep - the battle cats
keep - cosmic crown - one finger rogue like
keep - hoplite - favorite
keep - pathogen - favorite
delete - terra battle (better on my ipad / better team on my ipad)
keep - boson x
keep - sneaky sneaky
keep - crossy road
keep - kapsula (really fun sort of soviet endless racer game where you have to avoid getting "stuck" to other cars)
keep - octagon - another twitch favorite
keep - duet - my favorite twitch favorite
delete - inferno 2 - fine twin stick shooter, just sorta w/e
delete - golf is hard - golf
keep - flappy golf - always good for killing a few minutes
delete - golfinity - it's golf
keep - desert golfing - something about golfing in the desert
keep - valiant hearts - got this for free apparently it's good?
keep - power grounds - will delete this once i beat it
keep - new star soccer - don't judge me
keep - lamp n vamp - hoplite-ish
keep - particle mace - my favorite part of starborn anarkist without the change of colors
keep - beat hazard ultra - twin stick shooter that creates levels based on tracks from your itunes
delete - beat sneak bandit - recently redownloaded this because i thought hey maybe ill like rhythm games for once
delete - groovecoaster - more of the rhythm kick
keep - dropchord - not a rhythm game more like a two thumbed avoidance game set to ultra music festival beats which im in favor of
keep - wavetrip - sort of an level based flyer mixed with a rhythm game. keeping it
delete - active soccer two - disappointing, although the faked named for major teams were enjoyable. Danilo Stooraj, the striker for Liverpool.
keep - lost cities - fun reiner knizia game that's great on iphones.
keep - pukka golf - sort of like flappy golf but different
keep - dark echo - sound game i just dled that sounds cool
----
deleted 28% of the games on my iphone. my ipad, which is a whole other nightmare, to come. if anyone wants deeper impressions, lemme know. also re-added 100000000000000 to my phone cuz it's greaaat

cool 97 games on my ipad right now

xian fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 6, 2015

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Keep:
Super Hexagon: You know what this is. I don't really play it much anymore but it's good for a quick run sometimes.
Forget Me Not: I love this zany Pac-Man roguelike.
Puzzlejuice: Eh. I like it, but I've been stuck on the same challenge for ages, so I feel a deep loathing when I see the icon.
Glitch Tank: Good to have around for occasions when some 1-on-1 same-screen multiplayer is just what the doctor ordered.
868-Hack: I keep plugging this game in this thread. It's fantastic, I've been playing it regularly for, what, two years now? Absolutely perfect distillation of the roguelike into a form so compact it's almost like playing puzzle game. Like Hoplite but better.
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite: This is a shockingly great port of a hard-as-nails action RPG which works grinding into its gameflow more nicely than I thought possible. It was very playable on my 4S, but it's the reason I upgraded to a 6 Plus.
Hitman GO: I like puzzles, but I dunno about these. They're OK. Nice presentation. Maybe it'll get better when I get further in but I can't quite work up the enthusiasm.
Desert Golfing: Kind of a surprise, this one. Just check it out.
King of Dragon Pass: This is in the running for best game ever made, but I wish I could gather the energy to play it more seriously on my phone.
Crossy Road: I mean, whatever.
Monument Valley: This one gets a lot of praise from people I respect, but I dunno. To me it feels like a yuppie design firm's impersonation of an Artsy Videogame
English Country Tune: This game doesn't get the attention it deserves. My absolute favorite puzzle game - these puzzles are on another level. It's prettier on the PC, but having it on your phone is great. Whip it out whenever you need a brain teaser.
Mind Wall: This one's newer, but I can tell I'll be keeping it. One of those easy-to-learn-hard-to-master games, which slices your visual perception right open.

Delete:
Shades
A Ride
Framed
Blendoku
Ridiculous Fishing
Tainted Keep
aa

Space Hamlet fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 6, 2015

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
So Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition is on sale from 9.99 to 4.99. Anyone buy this and have any opinions of it on a mobile device? Tablet or whatever.

http://appshopper.com/games/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

rotaryfun posted:

So Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition is on sale from 9.99 to 4.99. Anyone buy this and have any opinions of it on a mobile device? Tablet or whatever.

It kicks a lot of rear end, and is an excellent port. As a side note, a recent update made it compatible with iPhones, but I wouldn't recommend it, even on a 6+ unless you have small fingers and excellent precision.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

rotaryfun posted:

Last time I tried, the only glaring annoyance was that you couldn't rotate your formation, so you had to move each character individually. To me, it was a pretty big annoyance when inside a dungeon, but YMMV. Maybe they have patched it, though.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
I've actually never played Baldurs Gate so I'm kind of excited to give it a try since I've always heard that it was basically the RPG game to play.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

xian posted:

cool 97 games on my ipad right now

Please do the iPad version of this list - I'm trying to fill up my new Air 2.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
My iPhone has four folders full of games that I've never touched. Just gonna leave that alone...

iPad Mini:

Keep:
FTL: speaks for itself
Carcassonne: Every time I delete this I end up downloading it soon after.
Bug Heroes 2: Good dual-stick shooter that I play with my wife sometimes.
80 Days: See: FTL
Crimsonland: See: Bug Heroes 2
Turbo Dismount: It's silly and fun to tinker with sometimes.
Papers, Please: Still working my way through this.
TripleTown: I prefer this to Threes!
Out There: Still working my way through this as well.
Galaxy Trucker: See: Carcassonne.
Agricola: See: Carcassonne.
Kingdom Rush: Don't have any other TD games so why not
Earn to Die 2: I play this sometimes.
The Walking Dead: I swear I'm going to play this someday!
Only One: I don't want to delete this for no good reason. It's pretty shallow and crappy.
BH: Legacy: Like a much better Only One. Why keep both? I don't know!
Chess: Gotta have some chess.
SpaceTeam: Gotta have some spaceteam.
Shades: Soon to make the delete list, but not quite yet. I'm pretty sure it's better on the phone anyway.

Delete:
A Dark Room: Loved it, but no point in replaying.
Device 6: Not a fan of adventure games like this so much.
Valiant Hearts:/\/\
Shattered Planet: Meh.
Eclipse: This is good, but I'd rather play Agricola or Carc.
Autumn Dynasty: Good game but I haven't touched it in months.
Democracy 3: See: Autumn Dynasty.
Sword and Glory: See: Autumn Dynasty.
Collassatron: See: Autumn Dynasty.
KoDP: gently caress I love this game, but I haven't played it in forever and I have 80 Days for this sort of thing.
Knock-Knock: See: Device 6.
The Room: See: Device 6.
Trials Frontier: Ugh.
Deep Loot: Kind of burnt out on this and pocket mine.
Pocket Mine: /\/\
Frozen Synapse: Fun for awhile, that time is over now.
Starborn Anarkist
Motorsport Manager: Yeah, too repetitive.
TownCraft: Kind of a janky, incomplete, pos of a game really.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Now that's something I'm surprised I'm not seeing more of. Chess actually spent the last 400 years waiting for a device like the iPad to render the wooden chessboard obsolete.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
You only need one game on your iPad. My game folder has only:

Spacechem: Greatest puzzle game of all time.

If you're a hoarder or animal and need more than on game, I have another game folder with:

Baldurs Gate: RPG of Epicness
BG II: See Baldurs Gate
FTL: Yes it is as good as everyone says.
Battle Academy: The premier war game of choice for choosy war gamers
Battle of the Bulge: Who doesn't enjoy visiting France?
Carcasonne: Because you still need a board game and this is the best one.
Ascension: For goon tournaments.
Hoplite: I didn't get this for ages because I didn't like the name - now I play it every day.
Lamp'n'Vamp: See Hoplite.
Fist of Jesus: Boooom.

Recently deleted:
Pixel Boat: Fun for a while.
Necrorun: blargh
Bloodstroke: Jon Woo why?
Skullduggery: Why so angry birds?

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
iPad owner. Here is what I have going on.

Keep:
Boardgames - The main reason I switched from android to iOS. Lords of Waterdeep, Carcassone, Agricola, Summoner Wars, Caylus, LeHavre, Ra, Ascension
Hearthstone - Not the best card game, horribly luck based, but I can't stop playing it.
FTL - Nothing more needs to be said about this amazing game.
X-Com: Enemy Within - Great game on console/PC, but even better being able to play it on the go.
Kingdom Rush, Frontiers, Origins - Essentially all the same game that I have been playing for years and I keep coming back.
Dream Quest - Graphically barebones, but the gameplay is rock solid and has that one more go magic.
Tap Titans - Cute graphics, mindless "gameplay". Great game to mess around with while watching sports.
Hoplite - Took a few games before it clicked, but now one of my favorites.
Bonza - I don't normally get into word games, but this one clicked with me.
Clash of Clans - Thought I had broken it's hold on me after playing for a year, but Liam Neeson pulled me back in.
Vainglory - Well done MOBA on the go. I love the fact that matches usually take half the time of a game of LoL/Dota.
Infinity Engine Games - BG1, BG2, IWD. All classics that I haven't played. Currently working through BG1.

Delete:
Magic 2015 - Love this series, but with 2015 something felt off and I couldn't quite place my finger on it.
Crossy Roads - I don't get it, but it's probably more of a phone game.
Hero Emblems - Way to grindy and extremely simple in the beginning. It might pick up, but I don't feel like playing hours to get to that point.
Theatrythm Final Fantasy - A look at the IAP scared me off along with the questionable support they give their other titles.
Civ Rev 2 - Love Civ, hated this.
Deep Loot - May put it on my phone, but don't see me playing it over something else on my iPad.

Waiting to be played:
Badland, Infinity Blade 3, FFT, FF6, Bastion, 868-Hack, Wayward Souls, BH: Legacy. A Dark Room. Framed, HoMM3

Waiting for a Sale or the backlog to be cleared up:
Sorcery! 1 &2, 80 Days, Hitman GO, Fiz, Pandemic: The board game, Ticket to Ride, Small World, Suburbia, King of Dragon Pass, Galaxy Trucker

Malt fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 6, 2015

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

porktree posted:

You only need one game on your iPad.

Respectfully, I disagree!

Here we go:
Keep - Vainglory - babby's first moba. love this game.
Keep - Terra Battle - my main f2p game
Keep - Tales from the Borderlands - Will Delete When I beat
Keep - Duet - Favorite Twitchy Game
Keep - Threes - The GF Loves Threes
Delete - Tiny Thief - Just Doesn't Do It For Me
Keep - CLARC - Good Block Moving Puzzle With Nice Graphics and Personality
Keep - Transmission - Very Pretty Circuitry Puzzle game that has gotten too hard for me. Will probably Delete soon.
Delete - The Weaver - Weaving Game
Delete - Cubut - Cube Puzzle w the everything moves at once threes mechanic
Keep - Socioball
Keep - Zen Garden
Keep - Broken Age (Will delete when I Beat, until act 2 comes out)
Keep - 10Billion
Delete - Battle Arena
Keep - Sneaky Sneaky
Keep - Dark Echo
Keep - Mikey Games
Keep - Space Expedition
Keep - VVVVV
Keep - Traps N Gemstones
Keep - Bean Dreams
Keep - Thomas Was Alone - Great PLatformer
Keep - Geometry Dash
Keep - Fotonica
Delete - Ninja Smasher - Controls just didn't do it for me
Keep - PRy - some IF thing
Delete - Potatoman
Delete - Yet it Moves
Keep - Miner Z - Dug Doug meets zombies
Delete - Rayman Fiesta Run
Delete - Lowlander
Keep - FFT
Keep - Knights of Pen and Paper
Keep - Paper's Please
Keep - FTL
kEep - Out There
Keep - The Sorcery! Games
KEep - King of Dragon Pass
Keep - 80 Days
Keep - English Country Tune (just got this from this thread)
Keep - Letter Quest
Delete - Word Mage
Keep - Bonza / Puzzlejuice / Qatqi - Spelltower / Letterpress (in my word games folder)
Keep - Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (gonna get into this one day)
Keep - Oddworld Stranger's Wrath (same)
Keep - Continue?987654321 (this is a cool trippy game)
Keep - Wyaward Souls
Keep - Battleheart
Keep - Space Age (gonna play through this eventually)
Keep - Space Marshals (same)
Keep - Terraria (my building game of choice)
Keep - #Sworcery (gonna finish this eventually)
Keep - Mage Gauntlet (why not?)
Delete - Linear (decent abstract board game)
Keep - Frozen Synapse (one day I might get into this?)
Keep - Cube Sieger (awesome quick little abstract board game)
Keep - Waterdeep
Keep - Agricola
Keep - Catchup
Keep - Carcassonne
Keep - Pathogen
Delete - EMPIRE - I never play this, but 4X people should get it cuz it's good
Delete - Starborn Anarkist - now that I've got Particle Mace
Keep - Daddy Long Legs
Keep - Deep Loot
Keep - Pako Car Chase Simulator
Keep - Alone
Keep - Kapsula
Keep - Octagon
Delete - SHREDD
Keep - Doug Dug
Keep - Desert Golfing
Delete - Flappy Bird
Keep - Crossy Road
Keep - Unpossible
Keep - Shadowmatic

deleted 15 games. didn't go so well. eh. whatever

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

tuyop posted:

My iPhone has four folders full of games that I've never touched. Just gonna leave that alone...

iPad Mini:

Keep:

Delete:
Looking over your list of games, I think you might enjoy Ghost Trick. The graphics and controls are kinda iffy, but it probably has the best story of any modern videogame, mobile or otherwise.

Get this: you just got murdered, and now you have to solve your own death, as a ghost!

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
iOS Games Megathread: Ghost Trick has the best story of any modern videogame

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I really like the part of Ghost Trick where they repeated what was just shown and explained before they let you take control of the game to solve a quick puzzle before they reiterate what just happened and vomit some more exposition.

The game is poo poo and could be finished in 20 minutes if it didn't take so loving long to get from one point to another.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
I've heard Out There is decent. I don't have an iPad, but was wondering if that was a decent alternative to FTL (which is what someone I know compared it to). Anyone?

Mayostard
Apr 21, 2007

In the Chamber of Understanding
I have an iPad, but I don't really keep a bunch of games on it. I usually delete games once I get bored of them.

Right now I have the following installed:
Hearthstone
Hitman Go
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Marvel Pinball

I haven't really played anything other than the first two though because of all the free games I played for a week or two and deleted when I hit the pay wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

virinvictus posted:

I've heard Out There is decent. I don't have an iPad, but was wondering if that was a decent alternative to FTL (which is what someone I know compared it to). Anyone?

It's good but you're going to be disappointed if you go in expecting it to be like FTL. Instead it's better likened to a choose your own adventure with a prominent resource managing element and a roguelike bent.
No combat.
A borderline malicious RNG.