Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Dragonatrix posted:

I'm gonna let you in on a secret: being a silent protagonist and having a personality are not mutually exclusive.

the other guy said "explicitly defined," which i took to mean "actually says things".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Dragonatrix posted:

I'm gonna let you in on a secret: being a silent protagonist and having a personality are not mutually exclusive.

True, but I feel like SMT's style of silent protagonist is really pretty generified

Like, describe Serph, Raidou, Yuki, and the Demi-Fiend without using physical descriptors.

Inflammatory posted:

the other guy said "explicitly defined," which i took to mean "actually says things".

Or, at the very least the dialog options have a clearly defined sense of the person. Even Maya and Tatsuya when they are the silent protags have dialog choices completely outside of what we understand their personalities to be.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like describe Raidou

A delinquent.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like, describe Serph, Raidou, Yuki, and the Demi-Fiend without using physical descriptors.
If by 'Yuki' you mean the P3 protag, he has a decent personality between his blunt and cold dialogue options and his hands-in-pocket slouch. It's just that it runs completely contrary to how 99.9% of people are actually going to play the game, since playing him the way he acts in the manga/movies would lead to a bunch of reversed S. Links and, like, maybe a 10 with Tanaka.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Terper posted:

Just link

Someone at Atlus is a figure skating fan.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Endorph posted:

Jokes aside, yeah. I wouldn't mind if, say, there's a a single scene of some cops chatting about your crimes, and Akihiko and Chie are there, but I wouldn't want them to be major characters.

Given that the protagonists of 5 are a crew of phantom thieves, I'm hoping for a Naoto cameo or mention. Like the police ask for her help, only for her to turn them down due to other commitments.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Do you have a gif of the move he made earlier in the trailer?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

Given that the protagonists of 5 are a crew of phantom thieves, I'm hoping for a Naoto cameo or mention. Like the police ask for her help, only for her to turn them down due to other commitments.

gently caress no, she joins the case and then you have an awesome boss fight with her.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The P3/P4 protagonists actually do have personalities, they are just flexible ones.

The P3 protagonist is quiet and kind of sullen with dialogue options that let him be a bit of a dick or surprisingly thoughtful.
The P3 fem protagonist in comparison is more outgoing and cheerful and has overall more positive dialogue choices.
Yu is more openly sarcastic and tends to have more blunt or joking character dialogue than either of the P3 protagonists.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

His school is actually the Ministry of Silly Walks.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The P5 protagonist is nerd by day, funky as gently caress by night.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

littleorv posted:

gently caress no, she joins the case and then you have an awesome boss fight with her.

I would love more boss fights against persona users in general.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DrManiac posted:

I would love more boss fights against persona users in general.
Hey, you fought Strega like three times.

But yeah, I think this'd be a good game to bring back the 'rival persona using team' concept. You're thieves and ne'er do wells, the recurring gag team could be the Upstanding Moral Citizens.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

And they had grenades!

But yeah I want the Shadow Ops Unit to hear that cool dudes and ladies are using Persona to commit thefts and then come get stomped.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Given the seven deadly sins themes, I'd hazard a guess we've either got 6-7 party members in total or seven major bosses similar to the 12 shadows of P3.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Thanks.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The entire trailer is available, now in gif form!

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

With us getting back to fighting demons I hope we get a new negotiation system. I can't wait to see what dumb poo poo our new party says to get stuff from monsters.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Guesses on the protag's persona? My bet is going back to Greek myth so they can use Prometheus, who stole fire from the gods. Otherwise, they might go Norse with Loki.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

If those twins with Igor aren't named Aki and Locke, someone at Atlus screwed up.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Nessa posted:

Guesses on the protag's persona? My bet is going back to Greek myth so they can use Prometheus, who stole fire from the gods. Otherwise, they might go Norse with Loki.

Dante.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Nessa posted:

Izanagi and Orpheus both have similair journeys to the underworld to rescue a loved one. Are there any more myths like that?

That is, if they are even trying to have similar thematic goals as the last two games.

EroticBlacksmith
May 13, 2010

Nessa posted:

A previous poster guessed Garuda, which seems the best fit to me. Between the wings on the MC's persona, the mask having a bird-like shape, the fire imagery, and the red color scheme I think it fits pretty drat well.

Edit: Also a noble thief.

EroticBlacksmith fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 6, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chexoid posted:

Izanagi and Orpheus both have similair journeys to the underworld to rescue a loved one. Are there any more myths like that?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Chexoid posted:

Inanna/Ishtar went to the underworld for kicks and then needed to use one of her lovers as a scapegoat when she got stuck there. Does that count?

There's also Odin sending his son Hermod to try to get his other son Baldur back.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 6, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Chexoid posted:

That is, if they are even trying to have similar thematic goals as the last two games.

Gilgamesh, the loved one being himself since he wanted to live forever.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

It does kind of look like a Devil Trigger...

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Vengarr posted:

It does kind of look like a Devil Trigger...

Yeah, it's half "Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series!" and half "Actually it does look like it could be a Dante's Devil Trigger"

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Nah its gonna be Dante Alighieri, the author.

the blonde kids persona is ernest hemmingway.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
God damnit, I'm trying to think of something of value to say, but this game just looks way too :krad:.

I don't think I expected this game to be so stylish.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Agean90 posted:

the blonde kids persona is ernest hemmingway.

Does that mean we're back to persona 3 evokers?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

EroticBlacksmith posted:

A previous poster guessed Garuda, which seems the best fit to me. Between the wings on the MC's persona, the mask having a bird-like shape, the fire imagery, and the red color scheme I think it fits pretty drat well.

Edit: Also a noble thief.

Yeah, Garuda seems like a good choice. It would also mean a different mythology background from the previous two games.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Agean90 posted:

I'm actually thinking this is it. It works with the 7 deadly sins motif from the trailer (there were actually 8 historically though, and in the Inferno) as well as the "going into the underworld" theme of the previous two protagonists.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Zoness posted:

the joke is that he uses shotguns in his guns slot

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Vengarr posted:

I'm actually thinking this is it. It works with the 7 deadly sins motif from the trailer (there were actually 8 historically though, and in the Inferno) as well as the "going into the underworld" theme of the previous two protagonists.

What's this about a seven deadly sins motif? I've watched the trailer like a half dozen times now and haven't picked up on anything like that yet.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Now that we have seen all the wonders that P5 is going to give us, my kokoro wish is for more granularity in costumes. Let me purchase and receive dozens of tops, bottoms, and headgear that I then combine as I like. A sentai mask to make a tux really pop perhaps. A Yaso High blazer atop board shorts. Surely a PlayStation 4 and many earnest Japanese men can offer me this.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dexie posted:

What's this about a seven deadly sins motif? I've watched the trailer like a half dozen times now and haven't picked up on anything like that yet.

The words that flash over the bit of the cat running are the Latin names for the seven deadly sins.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Dexie posted:

Endorph posted:

Also in further copy/pasted from tumblr news:

Seven deadly sins. 'Irritum' means 'useless.' Cavum means 'depression' (as in a low point in the ground, but they might have gotten the meanings mixed up.)

Later on you can see some bars with those words, so maybe a deadly sins gameplay element? Or your party members are meant to represent them?
Luxuria is the only one they explicitly throw in your face and that's Lust. Definitely not what I expected.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Zoness posted:

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

BFC posted:

Luxuria is the only one they explicitly throw in your face and that's Lust. Definitely not what I expected.

I count nine separate words in there, so I doubt whatever those are meant to be are based on the seven deadly sins.