Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Autothrusters, msn. Autothrusters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Fetterkey posted:

I dunno, the current X-Wing meta is pretty terrible IMO. I'm really not interested in two ship lists fighting each other, especially when one or both ships have turrets. The game of getting into your ships' best ranges to outmaneuver enemy fighters seems to pretty much be over, at least when it comes to competitive play. I'm hoping that Armada might bring back a more interesting and tactical gameplay style.

I agree with the first part, I'm tired of the current meta.

The last part is kind of silly. If you can tell me a reliable way to deal with a Phantom with a Y-Wing, X-Wing, B-Wing, or A-Wing by "outmaneuvering" I'll gladly hear it. Hell, the E-Wing sucks too for arc-dodging and it's supposed to be the most advanced Rebel fighter.

I think if we saw a 1 point astromech that gave boost and barrel roll, or just 1 or the other, things would be much much better. I'm just as tired of seeing Decimator/Phantom lists as I am of seeing Fat Han / Dash.

Edit: there's no guarantee Armada won't see the same issues.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I think S&V will do a lot to shake up the meta anyway. Also with FFG's track record, I wouldn't be surprised if Armada went through the same issues that a lot of other FFG collectible games have gone through.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
One point boost it barrel roll? Those things are four and two+stress right now. One point would be broken as gently caress.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Strobe posted:

One point boost it barrel roll? Those things are four and two+stress right now. One point would be broken as gently caress.

And who uses them currently? Engine upgrade goes on large ships in 2 ship builds. Nobody uses Expert Handling (which is an Elite Pilot Talent, Y-wings can get hosed)

edit: Most astromechs never see play, either

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

alg posted:

The last part is kind of silly. If you can tell me a reliable way to deal with a Phantom with a Y-Wing, X-Wing, B-Wing, or A-Wing by "outmaneuvering" I'll gladly hear it. Hell, the E-Wing sucks too for arc-dodging and it's supposed to be the most advanced Rebel fighter.
Jake and Tycho with VI, PtL and prockets, save points on whatever else so that you can bid for initiative, allow the Phantom to move first and do a 10 (if you don't kill him with the initial 5 dice, that is, especially if you have f.ex. Jan as the third ship in the list providing an extra dice). I've seen it rip Phantoms apart. You'll struggle against swarms though, which is why fat han/dash is still better overall.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

alg posted:

I agree with the first part, I'm tired of the current meta.

I think if we saw a 1 point astromech that gave boost and barrel roll, or just 1 or the other, things would be much much better. I'm just as tired of seeing Decimator/Phantom lists as I am of seeing Fat Han / Dash.

Edit: there's no guarantee Armada won't see the same issues.

I don't disagree. In fact, think the Phantom is a big part of the problem. Soontir Fel can do almost the same thing as a Phantom when it comes to murdering low PS ships, but he is much more vulnerable to turrets and susceptible to blocking, whereas Echo is almost impossible for lower PS ships to do anything against, and Whisper is somewhat possible to block if you're flying a swarm but still wipes out most light ships. To make matters worse, most of the old "four ship Rebels" lists basically have zero chance against a Phantom, so more people are playing turrets instead.

I think both Phantom (too easy to outmaneuver with) and turrets (makes outmaneuvering largely irrelevant) are pretty bad for what I consider to be the main appeal of the game, and unfortunately the presence of one reinforces the other.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Fetterkey posted:

I think both Phantom (too easy to outmaneuver with) and turrets (makes outmaneuvering largely irrelevant) are pretty bad for what I consider to be the main appeal of the game, and unfortunately the presence of one reinforces the other.

Yep, I agree with this too. I'd love to see what comes out of a few tournaments banning turrets and the Phantom in terms of meta.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

If you banned turrets every game would just be Soontir mirror matches.

Auto-Thruster is an elegant solution for turret problems, hoping to see something similar for Phantoms.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

alg posted:

And who uses them currently? Engine upgrade goes on large ships in 2 ship builds. Nobody uses Expert Handling (which is an Elite Pilot Talent, Y-wings can get hosed)

edit: Most astromechs never see play, either

This may be largely region specific, since I see engine upgrades on E-wings and the occasional X-wing all the time. Saw one on a Defender with PTL a few nights ago, even. It was expensive but drat it could cover space fast.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

alg posted:

If you banned turrets every game would just be Soontir mirror matches.

Auto-Thruster is an elegant solution for turret problems, hoping to see something similar for Phantoms.

As much as people don't believe it, it really is the phantom that messed up the meta. There would be way more swarms and BBBB to kill turrets and Biggs would be there to combat those like before. The baron was fine in the midst of all this but give it shields, extra maneuvering, and a crew or FCS and it might have turned out this way too.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I wonder if an upgrade that gave offense bonuses against cloaked ships would shake up the meta.

"Anti-Stealth Field" When a cloaked ship within range 1-2 of your ship is defending, the attacker may change one blank result to a hit result. Modification, 1-2 points.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Strobe posted:

I wonder if an upgrade that gave offense bonuses against cloaked ships would shake up the meta.

"Anti-Stealth Field" When a cloaked ship within range 1-2 of your ship is defending, the attacker may change one blank result to a hit result. Modification, 1-2 points.

Silver Bullets style balancing isn't the best answer generally. More cards like the S&V Hawk pilot that lowers your PS to 0 would do a lot more to combat the current meta than anything. Maybe a mod or EPT that lets you reduce the agility of another ship within range 1-2 would be good. Something like Intimidation or Outmaneuver, except actually useful against the arc-dodging high PS ships that it really needs to be used against.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

The Gate posted:

Silver Bullets style balancing isn't the best answer generally.

It is, however, the answer you're going to get from Fantasy Flight Games.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Official X-Wing playing mats from FFG. They'll probably be more expensive than other alternatives.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Tekopo posted:

Official X-Wing playing mats from FFG. They'll probably be more expensive than other alternatives.

Ah yes, I can put these right next to the X-Wing tile sets.....oh wait.

EDIT: Oh man, I didn't even notice those things get mentioned in the article.

FFG posted:

What Happened to the X-Wing Starfield Game Tile Kit?

After extensive testing, we have determined that the Starfield Game Tile Kit is no longer the best option for an X-Wing play surface. The X-Wing Playmats will replace the Starfield Game Tile Kit.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

They even have a little blurb talking about the tile sets in the article :v:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I love how "extensive" testing was required to determine "hmmm, an set of tiles that don't snap together in any way...maybe not the best idea"

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Wish the deathstar image was smaller or was the more interesting DSII + endor on the back or something.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Tekopo posted:

39.95. Not terrible for what you are getting, especially if they are the same material as their playmats for the LCGs they give out. (It's the same material)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, on Sunday is my FLGS tournament. Now I am not sure if I go or not (Dependant on weather. If it's poo poo, I will.), but I am having a crisis. As mentioned in my last post, I did run my list very well but the dice kinda screwed me. I am thinking of running it again.

however, I am also thinking on a completely untested list in which I replace dash-of-doom with an x-wing and b-wing. Please tell me I am being stupid.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I'm new and kind of nervous about buying new ships. Is the game fairly balanced right now or are there ships you *have* to have?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

CelestialScribe posted:

I'm new and kind of nervous about buying new ships. Is the game fairly balanced right now or are there ships you *have* to have?

You need a Falcon and a Decimator at the moment if you're planning on doing tournaments. Nobody knows what's going to happen after scum and villainy. Any other ships you'll get will be support ships for these two.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Chill la Chill posted:

You need a Falcon and a Decimator at the moment if you're planning on doing tournaments. Nobody knows what's going to happen after scum and villainy. Any other ships you'll get will be support ships for these two.

In a pinch, if you live in a city where these aren't availible, like me, an Outrider is a poor man's compromise.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

CelestialScribe posted:

Whichever ones you want. Unless you are going to entering sanctioned events, just buy what you like to start and then get sucked into the vortex of 2-4 of every ship later

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

How well do the random list generators work? I'm thinking of trying those out in super casual games, maybe even giving someone new a decent list and giving myself a random one.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
http://www.avclub.com/article/rip-star-wars-actor-richard-bonehill-214906

I wonder how many people run Nien Nunb at my FLGS Store Championship tomorrow in memoriam.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Got the official store tournament tomorrow and did some practice today. I came to the sad (for me) realization that for the 35 points that I spent on Vessery (Defender), I could just spend 37 to get Whisper with ACD and VI. I practiced with that today and to be honest, the list is a LOT better with the Phantom. So that's what I'm gonna be flying at the store tourney is:

Soontir 27 Points
+ PtL 3 Points

Whisper 32 Points
+ ACD 4 Points
+ VI 1 Point

Bounty Hunter 33 Points

Total is 100 unfortunately so no bidding for influence but there isn't anything I can drop really, everything is a necessary part of the list without any chaff. Should be fun tomorrow anyway!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I've been playing casually with some locals and we've decided not to fly any Phantoms, Falcons, or Decimators, just on the theory that everyone seems to find their presence a bit constricting.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That's probably a good thing. Phantoms, Falcons, and Decimators is a good way to succinctly describe "the winning meta" right now anyway (and also Corran, but he's at least tolerable in other lists).

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Fun thing we tried to add some variety without pidgeonholing people too far - Randomise one ship, and three upgrades.

After deciding factions, each player was given one ship card entirely at random, and three upgrade cards. After that, you can build what you like, but you've got to include these things in your list somehow. Yes, occasionally it would break the game, but it certainly created some interesting matchups we'd never expect to see otherwise.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Store Championship starts in 2 hours- am I crazy to run with:

quote:

Omicron Group Pilot

Bounty Hunter

Patrol Leader w/ Darth Vader, Rebel Captive

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

I would put Vader on the shuttle, at least.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Not a fan of naked shuttles especially in this meta

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

zVxTeflon posted:

Not a fan of naked shuttles especially in this meta

Yep. At NoVA the best counter-list to all of the big ship nonsense was made popular again: BBBBZ. Naked shuttles are p bad right now especially since the phantom/decimator build tears it apart. Funny enough, nobody is running the Falcon up here so I think it'll be nice to play it again since it kills BBBBZ and is decent enough against phantom/decimator with the gunner.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

My list when S+V hits

7x 7-95s with Dead mans switch

Get wrecked by Space Allah.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Langolas posted:

My list when S+V hits

7x 7-95s with Dead mans switch

Get wrecked by Space Allah.

I might end up buying a second Most Wanted. I don't see myself buying 4.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Is BBBB Z95 actually viable for tournament play?

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Just doing a quick cursory search, it looks like it has won at least 2 store championships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Partial Octopus posted:

Is BBBB Z95 actually viable for tournament play?

Yes. It's the "secondary list" of a lot of people at nova squad. It's the fall back when a lot of people start using big ships, especially decimators, but a good Han player will still tear it apart. (Like the last time Paul and I won the monthly tournaments at games and stuff when everyone took 4B lists.)

It took down Ashburn and Fairfax since Ron's a good player and nobody was running Falcons. It's a really weird meta up here but we like to pride ourselves on staying ahead of the curve when it comes to the meta and I might assume the Deci/Phantom will be the go-to list once S&V hits. I will of course continue running Fat Han because I like the paint job, as bad as it is.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 7, 2015

• Locked thread