Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Campus shootings are the worst. The surreal nature of seeing a place you love made into the site of some awful poo poo is deeply unsettling for anyone that can associate with that place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I was on campus at Texas for a shooting in 2010, thankfully nobody but the gunman was hurt. poo poo is messed up and I hope everyone is ok.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Rece Davis is taking over for Chris Fowler on College Gameday this fall.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Yea, just saw that being reported. Seems expected. Still weird that Fowler won't be there, though.

e:

Bobby Big Wheel @BobbyBigWheel · 15m 15 minutes ago

Congrats to Rece Davis, who never has to talk to Mark May again

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Rece Davis is cool, glad he's moving up the ESPN totem pole

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Those two are the same person in my mind so I probably wouldn't have even noticed.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Gameday really needs to free Marcus Spears and Paul Finebaum from having to listen to Tebow all morning

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

VDay posted:

Those two are the same person in my mind so I probably wouldn't have even noticed.

This is what I was thinking. On any given day, I wouldn't be able to name which one is on which program

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Campus shootings are the worst. The surreal nature of seeing a place you love made into the site of some awful poo poo is deeply unsettling for anyone that can associate with that place.

I was in the same building at Arkansas that a disgruntled grad student walked into and blew away his faculty advisor. We were one floor down in a Latin class and it sounded like several stacks of books getting dropped on the floor.

We paused for a minute, and carried on. Class ended and we were so surprised to see police cars around the building when we came out.

That happened in the fall of 2000. I think even a year later it would have been a much bigger circus.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tetrix posted:

Did Fowler get fired from the role or is he stepping down for something else?

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

pillsburysoldier posted:

He kept prodding hotlanta man

One man can only take so much

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Josh Lyman posted:

Did Fowler get fired from the role or is he stepping down for something else?

He's their #1 play-by-play guy and doing that + gameday was getting to be too much.

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

Regnevelc posted:

John O'Korn? Is he good? Why is he at Houston?

He basically came here because we were the first to offer him a scholarship and it meant a lot to him. Had an awesome freshman year and took home American conference Rookie of the Year in 2013. In 2014, he sucked somewhat hard and lost the starting gig to a guy that had officially transitioned to WR. I've read a rumor that he lost the locker room after speaking out about players smoking the reefer, but I always thought he was let down by our lovely coaching staff (our good OC left for TCU after 2013). I hope he does well at Michigan.

If you remember Houston's first half hail mary against BYU last year, that was him.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

kayakyakr posted:

He's their #1 play-by-play guy and doing that + gameday was getting to be too much.

He's pretty terrible at calling games. Way better as the studio stuffed suit.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Look Sir Droids posted:

He's pretty terrible at calling games. Way better as the studio stuffed suit.

Yeah it's sort of unfortunate that he's so good on gameday, they felt obligated to promote him, and the only way was to make him play by play guy, which he isn't good at. It's the Peter Principle in effect.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

tactlessbastard posted:

I was in the same building at Arkansas that a disgruntled grad student walked into and blew away his faculty advisor. We were one floor down in a Latin class and it sounded like several stacks of books getting dropped on the floor.

We paused for a minute, and carried on. Class ended and we were so surprised to see police cars around the building when we came out.

That happened in the fall of 2000. I think even a year later it would have been a much bigger circus.

The media circus is absolutely what makes it awful. At least at VT the overwhelming media coverage and presence on campus was just uncomfortable. Blacksburg is this small town, where everyone just kinda minds their own business. Having 2-3000 media heads and cameras all over the place seeing all the spots I'd been going to class to for 4 years splattered all over the TV with images of people you felt like you knew in a horrific spot, that's really the worst. Beyond the loss of life which sticks with me, how surreal and lovely it was to see it all over the national news (even though it warranted it) and then how long those folks stuck around just kept that nasty feeling around with them.

I can imagine in 2000 your situation would have been a lot easier to keep low key, even by 2007 information moved so fast.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The media circus is absolutely what makes it awful. At least at VT the overwhelming media coverage and presence on campus was just uncomfortable. Blacksburg is this small town, where everyone just kinda minds their own business. Having 2-3000 media heads and cameras all over the place seeing all the spots I'd been going to class to for 4 years splattered all over the TV with images of people you felt like you knew in a horrific spot, that's really the worst. Beyond the loss of life which sticks with me, how surreal and lovely it was to see it all over the national news (even though it warranted it) and then how long those folks stuck around just kept that nasty feeling around with them.

I can imagine in 2000 your situation would have been a lot easier to keep low key, even by 2007 information moved so fast.

I didn't read the quote and thought you were talking about national signing day for a bit.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

pillsburysoldier posted:

Or

þ@cecejeferson7
Coach Williams really left?.......

Maybe the dad caught wind of it before it happened. Or maybe some combination of both.

UGA coaches sent him a few links the morning of Signing Day hoping to get him to flip.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

KKKLIP ART posted:

UGA coaches sent him a few links the morning of Signing Day hoping to get him to flip.

Did they remember to include a few inspirational Bible verses to seal the deal???

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Ha that really was some weird poo poo, man. Seeing Geraldo Rivera while walking around in our tiny-rear end college town was real strange in the aftermath too.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tetrix posted:

Towards the season end I found myself watching the SEC Gameday show more. Get Stone Cold and Katy Perry to go on with Rece!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
So is there any analog for NCAA football to the NFL's Game Rewind product (lets you view games after 24 hours, lasts until the preseason)? I'm considering looking at some of the potential draftees (and/or actual draftees depending on timing).

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

ulmont posted:

So is there any analog for NCAA football to the NFL's Game Rewind product (lets you view games after 24 hours, lasts until the preseason)? I'm considering looking at some of the potential draftees (and/or actual draftees depending on timing).

Not exactly, at least as far as I know. This site has most P5 games, though.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 6, 2015

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ulmont posted:

Not officially (it'd be a huge mess between schools, conferences, and the NCAA), but people upload a lot of games to youtube and games featuring really popular teams aren't especially hard to find.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

As a general news item, I'm starting in on the 1909 season and the continued development of the modern game of football in the Football History thread for those who might be interested that aren't aware of it or don't have it bookmarked.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

Deteriorata posted:

As a general news item, I'm starting in on the 1909 season and the continued development of the modern game of football in the Football History thread for those who might be interested that aren't aware of it or don't have it bookmarked.

quote:

5. Limited substitution. A player removed from the game was generally done for the day. Substitutions were rare, and most teams had the same 11 players on the field the entire game. All players were expected to be able to rush, block, tackle, and kick, and the entire roster was often less than 20 players. The general offensive strategy was to run plays as fast as possible to tire the defense and make breakaways easier late in the game. Most games had more plays in a half than games today have in total. Football was less a game of skill and more of sheer endurance. Also, sideline coaching was prohibited. All plays were to be called by the players themselves, on the field. Communication with the sideline during play was penalized.

I sort of wish this were still the case.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

That sounds an awful lot like that other football

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

Are you doing it from memory heh heh heh...owned...

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Duke started spring practice

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

pillsburysoldier posted:

Wait, what?

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

Clemson approved a 157,000 sq feet/62 million dollar football operation center near our indoor practice facility. IIRC it is supposed to have a frankies fun park in it for the students.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Thoguh posted:

Wait, what?

Getting ready for the GREs.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

lamentable dustman posted:

Clemson approved a 157,000 sq feet/62 million dollar football operation center near our indoor practice facility. IIRC it is supposed to have a frankies fun park in it for the students.

:what:

In unrelated news, Clemson hikes tuition 30% effective fall 2015.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

LeeMajors posted:

:what:

In unrelated news, Clemson hikes tuition 30% effective fall 2015.

Haven't found any article on it yet but from someone I know who works with the football team "well we are building a huge covered area with 18 hole putt putt, go carts, full length outdoor basketball court" and it is supposed to have a movie theater too. That was from August so things could of changed.

It is the brain child of our director of recruiting Thad Turnipseed (GOAT name) who has been awesome and one of the reasons our recruiting has been so good. Dabo poached him from Bama and has been one of his best hires.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Was that a token thing to get student/university fees to pay for it?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

It is the brain child of our director of recruiting Thad Turnipseed

That can't be real

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Turnipseed (GOAT name)

This name can't be real :stare:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

pillsburysoldier posted:

I believe it's called "residency" in the med-school world.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I bet you could literally kill an academic from the middle of the 19th century if you described a college to them from now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.F. Hoodrich
May 16, 2006
welp

How the gently caress are you supposed to recruit against that?

• Locked thread