Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Whizbang posted:

They were poor people so it's more like 300.

:captainpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

Whizbang posted:

They were poor people so it's more like 300.

Holy poo poo.

Hey, I thought Merlyn's wife was stabbed to death. Yes, no, maybe so?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Bad Moon posted:

All that parkour was nessessary :colbert:

His superpower is his arsenal of flips.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Merlyn is a republican.

He's a straight up job creator. The demolition work in the glades required quite a bit of research to get those Markov machines working, and can you imagine how many construction jobs the (now greatly reduced) population would have to fill? Had those meddling progressives not interfered, Starling City would be in an economic expansion right now!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

AGirlWonder posted:

Holy poo poo.

Hey, I thought Merlyn's wife was stabbed to death. Yes, no, maybe so?

Stabbed to death with a bullet.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

greatn posted:

That happened on The 100.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
And on Lost

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

greatn posted:

She fell down an elevator shaft. Onto some bullets.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lol if you think Merlyn is going to do anything but completely betray Oliver at a critical moment in the season finale. What do you think Malcolm is going to join team Arrow for the next four seasons. They aren't trying to rehab him or trying to give him a pass, everyone except Ollie and Roy are like "gently caress Malcom Merlyn" and Felicity is willing to tell him to gently caress off seconds after they reunite over it. And do you think that Ollie is really fine with Malcolm?

Oh and Amell says that the stuff behind his death shenanigans are a plot line that goes into next season

zoux fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 6, 2015

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well of course, that goes without saying. And Merlyn won't betray them in the finale, I'd be disappointed if he didn't betray them multiple times before that. Still they need to cut Ollie some slack and give Merlyn a chance. How can he betray their trust if they don't give him a chance first?

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

This season really hasn't been doing it for me. Currently, I would put it behind season one.

I'm guessing that the Flash has something to do with it. Did anyone completely leave this show to work on that one?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Ither posted:

This season really hasn't been doing it for me. Currently, I would put it behind season one.

I'm guessing that the Flash has something to do with it. Did anyone completely leave this show to work on that one?

It has definitely felt like Flash has gotten all of the attention, while Arrow has been phoned in all season. With Supergirl in the works as well, I don't expect things to improve any time soon. In addition, there are also four DC shows on the air, with two more on the way. Even if they aren't all in a shared universe, this limits the stories that can be co-opted for Arrow.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

TyrantWD posted:

It has definitely felt like Flash has gotten all of the attention, while Arrow has been phoned in all season. With Supergirl in the works as well, I don't expect things to improve any time soon. In addition, there are also four DC shows on the air, with two more on the way. Even if they aren't all in a shared universe, this limits the stories that can be co-opted for Arrow.

This is true, but hopefully the CW producers & crew will better learn how to manage production of two shows at the same time as they go. I'm sorta giving them a pass this season. With the kind of budget and personnel limits they've got, they must be doing a crazy cirque du soleil juggling-while-balancing act.

Between Smallville, Arrow Season 1, Arrow Season 2, and now Flash, the CW people have shown what I think is a really great ability to learn and grow. I have hope that next season, things may be better.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm over 1000 posts behind so I apologize if this has been ground out already....

I'm still enjoying this season and I've always/will always hold Felicity in high regard as a character but maybe they just had too many "Felicity cries and takes a stand" moments back to back but it's starting to grate a little...

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
She's had a tough few months. Sarah dies, Ollie goes off to fight a duel, apparently dies, her boss whom she likes more than a little seems intent on following, Ollie comes back magically and makes her look like an idiot.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
The success of how the character has connected with the fans has probably made them a bit complacent w/ Felicity at times. Sometimes I think they think that the actress can just sell ANYTHING and maybe this season is proof otherwise.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Bad Moon posted:

She's had a tough few months. Sarah dies, Ollie goes off to fight a duel, apparently dies, her boss whom she likes more than a little seems intent on following, Ollie comes back magically and makes her look like an idiot.

Ollie yanking her emotions around in general. Also getting taken hostage by Slade, even if it was part of the plan.

Her points to Ollie when she was telling him off were pretty spot on and I'm glad she stood up to him.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Bad Moon posted:

This. The girl can be excused a bit of hysteria. When you stop and think about it for too long, you realize she's the center eye of an amazingly insane hurricane. Compared to Oliver, Roy, Barry, Merlyn, Sara and Laurel, motherfucking Slade Wilson, and the litany of other insane costumed vigilantes/villains/heroes/rogues, she's pretty normal and boring.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not real life. You have the option of not having a character cry and derail the more fun story all the time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I've been pretty irritated by the way the show has seemingly glossed over the fact Merlyn literally and gleefully murdered 500 people (and intended to kill many, many more), and characters going all "Woah I never thought of it that way" when somebody like Thea says,"Actually he was nice to me this one time" was pissing me off. I thought things had gone way too far over the top when Ollie shook his hand and Thea said,"Thanks for being cool about this" when the guy MURDERED 500 PEOPLE , so to have Felicity just straight up call Ollie out on this and completely refuse to accept Merlyn is the lesser of two evils or that they need to forgive and forget was like a breath of fresh air to me.

JohnSherman posted:

Merlyn killed 500 innocent people. I hate that the show pretends that this is the moral equivalent of cheating on your spouse.

Yeah, this sums it up nicely. He's basically one of the worst mass murderers in history. That gets glossed over so much (it was Merlyn himself who brought it up during the confrontation with Ollie over Brick!) it's like the characters dislike him because he bullied them in high school or something.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 6, 2015

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Ither posted:

I have to agree. It's like an off-screen wizard hit the the whole Arrow production staff with a -5 intelligence spell the last couple of episodes. The mass fight scene was particularly.... idiotic.

Knight2m
Jul 26, 2002

Touchdown Steelers

Did anyone else think there was a double meaning in the "only the student can defeat the master" line and that is why Ollie is going to train with Merlyn? To get Ras then also take down Merlyn? Maybe it's just wishful thinking Ollie actually had a plan for once.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The characters that aren't Felicity live in a comic book logic world.

Magneto is one of the X-Men. The Avengers blow up planets. There's like 13 Horsemen of the Apocalypse scattered across the X-Men and Avengers. Scarlet Witch is allowed to live. As long as you feel really sorry about it, it's okay.

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
I'm more surprised that Merlyn said he had only killed 503 people. 500 in the glades and the guy he thought killed his wife leaving only 2 kills in the 21 years since he joined the league excluding the under taking.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Jerusalem posted:

I've been pretty irritated by the way the show has seemingly glossed over the fact Merlyn literally and gleefully murdered 500 people (and intended to kill many, many more), and characters going all "Woah I never thought of it that way" when somebody like Thea says,"Actually he was nice to me this one time" was pissing me off.

That "He saved Thea and didn't have an ulterior motive at all!!!!" thing is really quite stupid (but then so is Roy), since they all do in fact know that Merlyn very likely did have an ulterior motive, since right after he saved Thea he immediately trained & brainwashed her as an assassin to orchestrate a scheme to save his own skin.

I guess it's possible that he saved Thea out of some kind of familial love, and then only afterwards thought "hey I got this kid just hanging around doing nothing! what a waste! I could be mind-controlling her into murdering people!" but it's not a certainty, and probably not even likely.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Cute n Popular posted:

I'm more surprised that Merlyn said he had only killed 503 people. 500 in the glades and the guy he thought killed his wife leaving only 2 kills in the 21 years since he joined the league excluding the under taking.

Actually during moira's trial wasn't a big thing made out of 503 being the exact number killed by earthquakes

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

XboxPants posted:

That "He saved Thea and didn't have an ulterior motive at all!!!!" thing is really quite stupid (but then so is Roy), since they all do in fact know that Merlyn very likely did have an ulterior motive, since right after he saved Thea he immediately trained & brainwashed her as an assassin to orchestrate a scheme to save his own skin.

I guess it's possible that he saved Thea out of some kind of familial love, and then only afterwards thought "hey I got this kid just hanging around doing nothing! what a waste! I could be mind-controlling her into murdering people!" but it's not a certainty, and probably not even likely.

This is the thing, it seemed to me that he saved Thea out of a sense of possession. He returned to Starling City when he discovered Thea was his biological daughter and talked to Moira like he was claiming a piece of furniture or something, and his conversation with Thea during the escape from the city made it clear that he views her pretty much as an object or tool that BELONGS to him, essentially replacing the inferior quality son (who he loving murdered! He murdered her half-brother and Ollie's best friend but hey it's cool, shake hands and don't be a dick about him hanging around now) with another model.

I was kinda hoping that Ollie would say something like,"You're going to help us get clear of Ra's and then you're handing yourself in to the authorities and pleading guilty to 503 counts of murder. THEN you can try and form a relationship with your daughter from prison. Those are my terms, that's all there is to it."

Edit: I hope Diggle agrees with Felicity and joins Team Atom and actually teaches Palmer how to fight, and gets to go out in the field and use his highly trained skills instead of standing in the basement giving directions to Sara as she fumbles her way through botched fights with street-level thugs.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 6, 2015

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

The characters that aren't Felicity live in a comic book logic world.

Magneto is one of the X-Men. The Avengers blow up planets. There's like 13 Horsemen of the Apocalypse scattered across the X-Men and Avengers. Scarlet Witch is allowed to live. As long as you feel really sorry about it, it's okay.

I started laughing when I realized that Oliver was basically spouting Jedi nonsense at Merlyn about being able to be saved.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Jumping back a bit to the replies in defense of Felicity because of what she's been through...

I don't disagree with any of that. Going through all that would make you emotional and angsty.

All I was saying was from a TV-watching perspective, it's basically been her only shtick for a few weeks now and it was just wearing a bit then.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I'm not a comic book reader, can someone explain how the LoA works? Is there a 1-800-ASSASSIN number anyone can call to take out hits on people? Do they just do work for high ranking politicians and filthy rich people? Does Ras have his own motivations for who is taken out, like trying to manipulate politics for personal gain?

I'm still baffled everyone was all okay with Sara going back to them at the end of last season. I want to assume there was some logical reason they were okay with it and they didn't just all wish her well and she just went off to be a killer of random people for some dick with enough money and a petty axe to grind.

Feenix posted:

All I was saying was from a TV-watching perspective, it's basically been her only shtick for a few weeks now and it was just wearing a bit then.

I can see that, but it doesn't bother me because she's pretty much always been right with what her issues are and what she says. I like that even though she's completely in love with Ollie to the point of being a bit obsessed and can barely ramble a sentence out, she's not weak willed and will stand up for whatever issue is at hand and tell him off.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Feb 6, 2015

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

KilGrey posted:

I'm still baffled everyone was all okay with Sara going back to them at the end of last season. I want to assume there was some logical reason they were okay with it and they didn't just all wish her well and she just went off to be a killer of random people
That is exactly what happened and it was super weird to have her family cheerfully waving her off.

Another reason the S2 finale was so disappointing and tonally dissonant after the amazing television that came before it.

And with this season now it looks like it was a sign of things to come. :smith:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The plot of the last 2 episodes has been so loving dumb. There is absolutely no reason at all the police wouldn't have stormed the place and ended it near instantly.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Some of those guys had bats, man. What can the police do against that?

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

KilGrey posted:

I'm not a comic book reader, can someone explain how the LoA works? Is there a 1-800-ASSASSIN number anyone can call to take out hits on people? Do they just do work for high ranking politicians and filthy rich people? Does Ras have his own motivations for who is taken out, like trying to manipulate politics for personal gain?

Depends on the story. Sometimes they work for hire (usually for rich arseholes such as Lex Luthor, who have vague connections to Ra's) but mostly they're just a bunch of disposable ninjas working for a thousand year old warlord with strange cares.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

KilGrey posted:

I'm still baffled everyone was all okay with Sara going back to them at the end of last season. I want to assume there was some logical reason they were okay with it and they didn't just all wish her well and she just went off to be a killer of random people for some dick with enough money and a petty axe to grind.

Yeah they generally don't do much assassinating in the comics. The ninjas are basically just footsoldiers for Ras and in the comics he's more of an environmental terrorist than the way he's portrayed in Arrow. The named characters associated with the League like Merlyn tend to do their assassination stuff as random badguys to be foiled by the hero and then are just Batman fodder in actual Ras stories.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I too thought the first half of this season was pretty underwhelming, but Laurel is finally coming into her own, Vinnie Jones is awesome, and Oliver coming back while not executed as well as everyone here would like should make the show interesting again.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lycus posted:

Some of those guys had bats, man. What can the police do against that?

I still can't get over that throwaway line near the start of the episode indicating the police were helpless because they didn't have enough evidence to arrest Brick, even though he'd just recently been witnessed by basically the most powerful authority figures in the city committing extortion/blackmail, murder, and otherwise threatening violence on a citywide level - amongst those witnesses were the Chief of Detectives, the District Attorney, and the goddamn Mayor! Also I'm fairly certain they had him on camera killing one of the Aldermen!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Pillowpants posted:

Vinnie Jones is awesome

yes

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
I've been underwhelmed this season. I feel like they really bungled Ollie's death and wasted opportunities to develop Thea and Laurel throughout the season.

Felicity is getting kind of whiny, but her final chat with Ollie this past episode was pretty on the nose, and I feel summed up how stupid it is to give Merlyn the time of day. Going along with that I think the real success of the past few episodes were making me actually kind of feel conflicted about Merlyn. He's a monster who killed 503 people, but they do a decent job humanizing him.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Boru posted:

I've been underwhelmed this season. I feel like they really bungled Ollie's death and wasted opportunities to develop Thea and Laurel throughout the season.

Felicity is getting kind of whiny, but her final chat with Ollie this past episode was pretty on the nose, and I feel summed up how stupid it is to give Merlyn the time of day. Going along with that I think the real success of the past few episodes were making me actually kind of feel conflicted about Merlyn. He's a monster who killed 503 people, but they do a decent job humanizing him.

I'm glad they ripped the bandaid off, if nothing else. There really was no weight to his death, at all, to the point where his return fell flat to me.

Merlyn is dumb as poo poo if his plan was really for Ollie to kill Ras. How the gently caress did he not realize that Ras was going to murder Ollie without breaking a sweat? And, if he's lying, I fail to see what his actual end game is. Maybe it'll be brilliant, but, based on the way this season has gone, I'm guessing its going to be very convoluted and not make a ton of sense. I mean, not only are they teaming up with a monster, they're teaming up with one that appears to be stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Jerusalem posted:

I've been pretty irritated by the way the show has seemingly glossed over the fact Merlyn literally and gleefully murdered 500 people (and intended to kill many, many more), and characters going all "Woah I never thought of it that way" when somebody like Thea says,"Actually he was nice to me this one time" was pissing me off. I thought things had gone way too far over the top when Ollie shook his hand and Thea said,"Thanks for being cool about this" when the guy MURDERED 500 PEOPLE , so to have Felicity just straight up call Ollie out on this and completely refuse to accept Merlyn is the lesser of two evils or that they need to forgive and forget was like a breath of fresh air to me.

Yeah it's annoying, but this is basically par for the course with CW shows. Think about how the Vampire Diaries' repeated plotline seems to be "character feels bad for mass serial killer, because he flirted with me once." Logic is thrown to the side for drama.

Personally, on the episode where Merlyn walked into the Arrowcave and Diggle pulled the two guns on him, it would have been awesome if Diggle would have just started firing at Malcolm Merlyn, Mass Murder Who Just Infilitrated Our Base. Even if Merlyn got away (which is fine, because Barrowman rocks), it would have felt better, because Merlyn is one of the biggest enemies of the city, a terrorist, an all-around horrible guy.

Instead we get "well, he was nice to Thea once and maybe he could be saved, I'm sure the relatives of the 503 (known) people that he murdered will understand."

• Locked thread