Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Darthemed posted:

Point of order, none of those three were in the original MST3k line-up.
:goonsay:

I think Kevin was already Tom Servo when they did the Manos episode and Mike was writing. Still, Joe's dry delivery always worked better for me. I like Mike but he reminds me of a children's TV host.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Thanks Netflix, Pee-wee's Big Adventure is just what I need for a pick-me-up!

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

TrixRabbi posted:

I think Kevin was already Tom Servo when they did the Manos episode and Mike was writing. Still, Joe's dry delivery always worked better for me. I like Mike but he reminds me of a children's TV host.

He's just being pedantic that none of the three were in MST3K when it originally started.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

precision posted:

If you missed Drive when it was on Netflix and don't mind random commercials it's on Crackle now.

For anyone who refuses to use Crackle because of the commercials, AdBlock Plus solves that problem.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug
Now with Showgirls recently added I can marathon every Paul Verhoeven of the 90s. Thanks, Netflix!

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Can anyone recommend me something like Upstream Color or to a lesser extent Enemy? something where maybe you don't know what's going on but it really gets inside your head and forces you to feel something? Netflix or Amazon.

Under the Skin also sort of fits the bill as well.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Borrowed Ladder posted:

Can anyone recommend me something like Upstream Color or to a lesser extent Enemy? something where maybe you don't know what's going on but it really gets inside your head and forces you to feel something? Netflix or Amazon.

The One I Love :siren:GO IN BLIND:siren: and Coherence both fit the bill perfectly.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Borrowed Ladder posted:

Beyond the Black Rainbow, if its still on there.

e: it is

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Eukodol posted:

Now with Showgirls recently added I can marathon every Paul Verhoeven of the 90s. Thanks, Netflix!

Whaaaaaaaaat?

Showgirls is amazing. Guess i know what I'm doing Saturday.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
If you're looking for a decent comedy The Ref is a good watch. Decent laughs, some fun slapstick, holiday drama. It isn't perfect and Dennis Leary isn't for everyone (if they heard Hicks first), but I'd recommend it.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Eukodol posted:

I watched this again last night, and it had been quite a long time since I had seen the original version without the hilarious tv edits. Good god it is such a laughably bad bad bad movie. I love it dearly.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I don't know what's available to stream, but these might float your boat:

Primer
Pi, The Fountain, Black Swan
Donnie Darko
Any David Lynch film (Mulholland Drive is my fave, Lost Highway or Inland Empire are more obtuse)
Another Earth
Dogtooth
Antichrist, Melancholia
Irreversible, Enter the Void

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

outy posted:

I don't know what's available to stream, but these might float your boat:

Primer
Pi, The Fountain, Black Swan
Donnie Darko
Any David Lynch film (Mulholland Drive is my fave, Lost Highway or Inland Empire are more obtuse)
Another Earth
Dogtooth
Antichrist, Melancholia
Irreversible, Enter the Void

You can't go wrong with Lynch, his only outright bad film is Dune, but Inland Empire is just kind of boring and overly obtuse in an annoying way.

Another Earth isn't very good, it's kinda film student-y and most of the performances are a bit flat (except for the musician dude, he has a lot of bit parts but I can't place him). The story doesn't really raise any interesting questions other than "wouldn't it be crazy if!?"

I love weird, surreal poo poo but I just find poo poo like antichrist and irreversible kinda gross and lovely, so bear that in mind.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think Showgirls might be my favorite Verhoeven movie.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think Showgirls might be my favorite Verhoeven movie.

Every post I understand a little more of your damaged psyche.

Although I will say I haven't forgotten Kyle McLachlan pool sex...as much as I try.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Been watching Twin Peaks again and Showgirls and I always imagine that McLachlan's chin is huge. I mean it is big. However, straight on his face is very normal looking and good, but from three quarter all the way to profile all that can be seen is a commanding chin. I'm still a fan though even after the pool scene in showgirls and watching him act (I assume) like he jizzed his pants at a strip club.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Been watching Twin Peaks again and Showgirls and I always imagine that McLachlan's chin is huge. I mean it is big.

Kyle MacLachlan is a very strange-looking man.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Been watching Twin Peaks again and Showgirls and I always imagine that McLachlan's chin is huge. I mean it is big. However, straight on his face is very normal looking and good, but from three quarter all the way to profile all that can be seen is a commanding chin. I'm still a fan though even after the pool scene in showgirls and watching him act (I assume) like he jizzed his pants at a strip club.

It seems larger in Showgirls somehow. Like, my mind goes "Yep, Agent Cooper has a manly chin, as befits him but in Showgirls he's just a big old pervert with a huge chin"

Also the pool scene is amazing and is worth the price of admission alone.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Not Netflix, but a free streaming thing from Shout Factory: http://www.shoutfactorytv.com

It's apparently stuff they already have on Youtube and Hulu, but I guess they're going to do more with it. Definitely something to keep an eye on.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Is showgirls a get drunk and enjoy it because it's so bad it's good sort of film?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

hemale in pain posted:

Is showgirls a get drunk and enjoy it because it's so bad it's good sort of film?

The Special Edition DVD came with a few shot glasses

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

hemale in pain posted:

Extremely so.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

I know I'm probably the last person on Earth to have seen it, but Leaving Las Vegas is very good. Very dreamlike and well acted.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

morestuff posted:

The Special Edition DVD came with a few shot glasses

Oh man I found that for like 5 bux somewhere years ago but lost it in a move. I had the shot glasses for years though. Didn't it come with something else that was really ridiculous?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

NESguerilla posted:

Oh man I found that for like 5 bux somewhere years ago but lost it in a move. I had the shot glasses for years though. Didn't it come with something else that was really ridiculous?

Special Features
— "The Greatest Movie Ever Made": a commentary by David Schmader, with video commentary on the strip-club dance scene by the girls of Scores
— Lap-dance tutorial featuring the world-famous girls of Scores
— A Showgirls Diary: storyboard-to-screen featurette
— Pop-up trivia track
— Original theatrical trailer
— Set of Showgirls shot glasses
— "Pin the Pasties on the Showgirl" game with pasties and blindfold
— Deck of Showgirls playing cards
— Six photo cards with party games

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh yeah. It was the pasties I was thinking of!

I still haven't ever seen that movie. I lost the DVD almost right away. Maybe I'll finally get around to watching it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

hemale in pain posted:

It's just good. All movies are worth getting drunk to.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I feel like The Interview would have been better without James Franco. Seth Rogen is decently funny but just every single scene with franco was so awkward and bad that I had to stop watching it.

The Eminem scene was okay, I guess.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

GreyPowerVan posted:

I feel like The Interview would have been better without James Franco. Seth Rogen is decently funny but just every single scene with franco was so awkward and bad that I had to stop watching it.

Yeah he did a real bad job with the acting thing. It wasn't a good movie overall though.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Franco owns actually

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

GreyPowerVan posted:

The Eminem scene was okay, I guess.

I don't know if I thought Franco was BAD but for sure Rogen was the better guy in that duo yea.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I usually like Franco but he was pretty meh in the Interview. The whole movie wasn't great. It wasn't the worst thing I've seen but it was definitely their weakest effort so far.

I'm admittedly suffering from a bit of Rogen/Franco fatigue though even if I do usually enjoy them.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I was entertained by Franco through the whole thing. He was just so lovably stupid throughout the movie. Ended up laughing at that movie way more than I expected. Hell, I probably wouldn't have even watched it if it wasn't for all of the publicity it got from being kept out of theaters.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The One I Love was awesome. Thanks for the repeated urges to go into it blind. I ignored your first five pleas, and finally went in and watched it.

Holy gently caress it was good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Between that movie and his new HBO show I'm starting to become a Mark Duplass fan.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

NESguerilla posted:

Between that movie and his new HBO show I'm starting to become a Mark Duplass fan.

Now get Katie Aselton a show and you'll have the good half of The League doing good.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

hey supercop! owns

da weed wizard
Feb 19, 2005
Anything good on Netflix or Amazon in the vein of Lock Stock/Snatch or Trainspotting? Funny UK folk saying oval office a lot, basically.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

I was pleasantly surprised with The Interview. I actually thought Rogen was the weaker of the two, not really creating any kind of interesting character, just floating by on his safe but sound shtick (I'm still not sick of him, but I could see it happening). Franco however was absolutely hilarious and, like Jolo said, so lovably stupid. Dave Skylark totally worked for me. I thought the bookends of the film were the strongest parts, with the CIA stuff and everything before the actual interview being a really mixed bag. The On the Town with Kim Jong Un montage was great, but the entire drone/tiger/buttplug sequence was one of the worst scenes those guys have written.

fake edit: ok maybe not the worse, that whole don't fight the tiger exchange had me rolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Darthemed posted:

Point of order, none of those three were in the original MST3k line-up.
:goonsay:

Mike was there for the original riff at least, he plays Manos in the skit at the end.

• Locked thread