Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Dandywalken posted:

Wish there was a "Dont pick up bricks/tiles" option, really.

That'd be delightful.

God, this. If it had something like Dungeons of Dredmor where you had a popup and could configure what items you automatically pick up by category (weapons, potions, armor, other junk etc) it'd go a long way towards making the game usable. Just one more item in the long list of items that might be fixed if only the developers actually bothered to play their own game?

And this thread has really swung around in the last page. I was beginning to think the threadshitting was gone for good. Every time someone shits in this thread, and angel gets its wings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Is it Brocalamity or Alienblade? Make up your mind, stupid game.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

nightwisher posted:

Nail on the head.

Terraria with map-hopping would be boring if every map were the same, which is what Starbound feels like.

You hit it. The maps look pretty different, but they play the same, it's surface-level. The monsters are a perfect example. They need to get the monster gameplay stuff they've talked about in the game ASAP. Make the parts give specific movesets & AI & stats. Different legs & bodies give different speed & HP/armor, different eyes/tails/arms give different attacks, and all of those things give different AI patterns. Also tie the bodyparts to biomes to some degree, so different biomes, planet types, and sub-biomes have unique challenges.

They've talked about it for a long time, some of the foundation is in the game, but now they need to get it in the game. That's the kind of stuff they need to do.

Now that I'm ranting, another example are the planetary hazards. The nanotech suit solution they came up with is awful. I mentioned how every planet feels the same. The hosed up thing is, there actually are a bunch of planets with unique challenges that are totally different than the normal planets... but before you go to them, they make sure you get a tech that completely neutralizes the thing that makes that planet special. Those suits are supposed to be an upgrade, but they actually remove gameplay mechanics from the game and make it even more homogenized.

Those planets should feel unique. Maybe only give you 90% protection against the elements, and then give you an active gameplay mechanic of some sort that you have to engage in to protect yourself against the other 10%. The way it was implemented was iffy, but I sorta liked the idea in the old stable where in cold worlds you could build bases and outposts to make exploration easier. Or like corruption in Terraria, maybe you have to do something to the ecology to transform the world into something safe for you, like introducing some kind of plant or animal or bacteria to the toxic world that clears up the radiation.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

boho posted:

Of course it would. Terraria is about solving the "puzzle" of a randomly generated (but ultimately limited) map. There is no such permanence in Starbound, therefore there is no puzzle, so the RNG starts to show and now you've lost suspension of disbelief and welp who the gently caress cares
This is really the crux of it for me. They've removed the core gameplay from Terraria and replaced it with lifeless, randomly textured filler and alpacas.

Terraria without the World you're playing in is basically just a mediocre platformer with items and stats, e.g. Starbound.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Koobze posted:

And this thread has really swung around in the last page. I was beginning to think the threadshitting was gone for good. Every time someone shits in this thread, and angel gets its wings.

The funny thing is that I occasionally read this thread over the last year and wondered why it all collapsed into trolling and shitposts, then I played the game for a few hours and it all made sense.

I'd love to say something really positive about Starbound. So, uh... it DIDN'T reformat my C: drive when I removed it, so it's better than Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor!

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
This game killed my family and ate my dog.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
No but it is a bad game, friend.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Pentaro posted:

Is it Brocalamity or Alienblade? Make up your mind, stupid game.

lmao does the game still do this?

Basically, go to buy a weapon, but keep clicking back and forth between different weapons and it'll keep giving you random results no matter what the vendor is actually trying to sell you.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
http://playstarbound.com/roadmap

:rip:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

I'm glad. Someone called them out on that recently and they were all "bitch whatever, i do what i want and no we ain't gonna take it down either" but I guess someone talked some sense into them.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Are there any mods that make it so animals aren't naturally hostile? I don't mind fighting bandits, or bosses, or special mobs, but I don't want to have to fight this stupid lizard thing 50x before I can circumnavigate the planet's surface.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Kly posted:

remember when they took months to make that roadmap?

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

was there any word on a mod making the MM mining area larger/ faster? even at fully upgraded it still drags on a bit for me

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Kly posted:

remember when they took months to make that roadmap?

If their design document for the game wasn't coherent enough to put online without spending months refining it, then it was worth spending that time refining it. Even if they've torn out big chunks and re-made other pieces since then.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

victrix posted:

I've been keeping an eye on this, it sounds like the worst issues are still janky combat/armor balance and (moddable) annoyances with mining/delving, anything else major?

The first boss gates a lot of the game behind it. Some people are having trouble with it because it requires Actual Platforming and not just swinging a big-number-ma-jig at something until it pops.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Rocketlex posted:

The first boss gates a lot of the game behind it. Some people are having trouble with it because it requires Actual Platforming and not just swinging a big-number-ma-jig at something until it pops.

To be fair, until a recent patch, it was impossible to avoid getting hit by his lasers in the third phase if you didn't know exactly the right spot to stand at the beginning of the phase, a lot of people wouldn't have discovered shields at that point, and there's the bug some people are experiencing where the lasers' visuals don't match up with their actual path. It's a bit of a mess but hey, at least they made the third phase a bit less "gently caress you."

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Rocketlex posted:

I was watching some Terraria recently and man, some of those bosses really suck and are little more than what you're saying. The only reason they work at all is because you can get hit a million times, so it doesn't matter if the boss is some dumb shallow bullshit like Skeletron. Some of 'em are good, but some of them are just huge damage sponge sprites that fly around and smack themselves into you while you also deal with whatever other enemies are around.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Pakled posted:

To be fair, until a recent patch, it was impossible to avoid getting hit by his lasers in the third phase if you didn't know exactly the right spot to stand at the beginning of the phase, a lot of people wouldn't have discovered shields at that point, and there's the bug some people are experiencing where the lasers' visuals don't match up with their actual path. It's a bit of a mess but hey, at least they made the third phase a bit less "gently caress you."

actually, you just need to get good at the game, all of these problems are in your head, you just aren't MLG enough for starbound

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

digging straight down through boring, solid dirt on a variety of palette-swap planets for 19 hours straight is what got me my doritos sponsorship

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Rocketlex posted:

I think the largest issue with the first boss is the fact you have to play through the entire dungeon again in order to reach it. The entire dungeon is also pretty poo poo, and the only way I could figure out how to survive it was to exploit the AI's retarded pathfinding while plinking away with the terrible weapons. Falling off the top of the boss area and instantly dying convinced me that I should just uninstall the game.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I'm really curious why you always respawn on your ship instead of at the last bed you slept in. That worked so well in Terraria and would fix so many complaints about the mine mission instantly.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I think the largest issue with the first boss is the fact you have to play through the entire dungeon again in order to reach it. The entire dungeon is also pretty poo poo, and the only way I could figure out how to survive it was to exploit the AI's retarded pathfinding while plinking away with the terrible weapons. Falling off the top of the boss area and instantly dying convinced me that I should just uninstall the game.

Don't bother killing anything. Just run. 80% of the enemies will be too slow on the draw to hit you even if you run directly through them. For the rest, just keep your bandages in hand as you're running and apply one when you're in danger.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I don't blame you for getting frustrated, but all the enemies before the boss can be skipped if you just run, and if you don't mind sacrificing the bounce bubble tech, you can take a huge shortcut through the facility with the morph ball tech.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Rocketlex posted:

Uh yeah no, I just got to that thing and wow, that whole area is just poo poo city.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Yeah, I like how all the lovely monsters there apparently got the old monster AI where they just try to goomba-on-speed you to death.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Just /admin for that part, not only is the difficulty way off but you'll probably get hosed by invisible lasers in phase 3 anyway.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

boho posted:

Just /admin for that part, not only is the difficulty way off but you'll probably get hosed by invisible lasers in phase 3 anyway.

Guys don't worry this game is perfectly fine as long as you play it in debug mode!

(not a shot at you)

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Again, I made a post at top of page 19 about the mine boss. If you're using a steel 2h sword, basic guys should die in 2 swings. Make the steel bow, use it and the platform I point out to cheese the hammer guys if you want. Full steel+food buff lets you take 5 hits from the lasers before death, so just take the platforming slow and steady and spam bandages when you get hurt, go clockwise around the boss, and try to parry with said 2h sword when you pass a beam. Even with invis lasers in phase 3, you should be able to hit the 2 left switches and make it to the safe spot, then heal to full, do the right and trigger the cannon killing him.

The boss is stupid for a first boss, but it is do-able with some prep work. I think what happens is that the quest only requires steel chest, so people go in with that and then either basic head+legs or at best iron, which means you're only taking like 2-3 hits before death instead of 5. Also instead of a bandage basically healing all the damage, it only heals like half so you need twice as long to recover from a hit.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The second boss is downright relaxing, because penguins with machineguns or tanks can barely harm you and die in a single hit to your "Bring at least this much crafted gear before I give you the mission" stuff. A ranged weapon to plink at the UFO between it stunning itself on the ground helps make it go by faster. Floran stuff went probably easier than it would have otherwise because I found a rocket launcher right before that... And the boss just rubbed it's face into the door that shuts itself clearing intending to trap you in the room with them for me to splash damage through.

Lunar base can get hosed outside of the fact it can give you some nice crate and locker schematics. Though I cheated in the lunar locker to shove into my 3D printer my 5th time through it getting three copies of the chair schematic. There is no defending invisible lasers causing bullshit damage for no reason even if you are otherwise playing it perfectly :darksouls: One can only wonder at the thought process that put the Protips Log on "How to beat the first boss", in a chest directly AFTER the boss.

Flagrant usage of Admin so far: Giving myself just enough materials to upgrade my Manipulator to the point it's asking me for rubium tier ores once it started asking for Uranium. Giving myself uranium so I can just add a second room to my ship already yeesh. Spawning Voxels to pay for shoving furniture into my 3D printer (Why does it cost pixels to scan and destroy the item in the first place still what).

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 6, 2015

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

The White Dragon posted:

Guys don't worry this game is perfectly fine as long as you play it in debug mode!

(not a shot at you)

To be fair, it's early access (not even sure if it's alpha/beta anymore) content that just made it to the public for the first time. I'm not shocked that it's overtuned and buggy.

Normally I hate cheating, but after getting smoked on phase 3 since the animation has nothing to do with the hit boxes for the lasers, I had no qualms about /admin-ing through it.

boho fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 6, 2015

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Zombie Samurai posted:

I'm really curious why you always respawn on your ship instead of at the last bed you slept in. That worked so well in Terraria and would fix so many complaints about the mine mission instantly.

I'm sure I'll get poo poo on for this but you asked and there's an answer.

The reason is cause they have a different system in development to answer these needs (teleporters) and they try to avoid putting in half-baked "while you wait for the real thing" systems whenever possible. The reason they avoid doing that is because it's a waste of time to create the same system twice, and also lovely for the players who have to use some cobbled-together BS placeholder. See: current quest system, the old sector system, etc.

At least they've realized the teleporters are extremely needed and have prioritized that as the next update. You're gonna be able to have a whole network of placeable teleporters, it's a pretty rich system.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
You know what this game really needs, especially with all the mods coming out that use new crafting? A single big sortable, searchable list of every recipe your character knows, listing both ingredients and crafting station. Running between multiple stations searching for a recipe is something that I hope gets done away with.

XboxPants posted:

The reason is cause they have a different system in development to answer these needs (teleporters) and they try to avoid putting in half-baked "while you wait for the real thing" systems whenever possible. The reason they avoid doing that is because it's a waste of time to create the same system twice, and also lovely for the players who have to use some cobbled-together BS placeholder. See: current quest system, the old sector system, etc.

At least they've realized the teleporters are extremely needed and have prioritized that as the next update. You're gonna be able to have a whole network of placeable teleporters, it's a pretty rich system.
Basically, the game isn't done yet.
But that statement gets a bunch of laughs here because if a game's not finished in 2 years it never will be.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 6, 2015

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
A big irritation to me in this build is that you only find certain biome conditions on certain worlds and the danger level of said words ties to the biome.

What that means is I will never find a rainbow sword that dosn't suck!! :negative:

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Feb 6, 2015

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Motherfucker posted:

A big irritation to me in this build is that you only find certain biome conditions on certain worlds and the danger level of said words ties to the biome.

What that means is I will never find a rainbow sword that dosn't suck!! :negative:
Hey you're in luck, that's exactly what my mod is meant to fix. All biomes at all threat levels and in any combination.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

boho posted:

To be fair, it's early access (not even sure if it's alpha/beta anymore) content that just made it to the public for the first time. I'm not shocked that it's overtuned and buggy.

Normally I hate cheating, but after getting smoked on phase 3 since the animation has nothing to do with the hit boxes for the lasers, I had no qualms about /admin-ing through it.

Early access and alpha/beta release is an excuse for lazyness only for so long.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Michaellaneous posted:

Early access and alpha/beta release is an excuse for lazyness only for so long.
It's not like there's a magical limit on how long a game is allowed to be in development. And 2 years is far from an industry record. In regards to this whole discussion I'm not even excusing their laziness, I'm just talking about the state of the game itself, and its content.
I'm not disagreeing that they're being super slow but when it comes to features being unpolished or just absent, "it's not finished yet" really is still true. If you think they should be finished by now, that's fine, but that's a whole other argument.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
It's sorta amazing but I installed the "ores galore" version of More Ores mod, which basically makes your screen full of all ores all the time, and it still feels tedious. Definitely better, but still feel like something's missing.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Pochoclo posted:

It's sorta amazing but I installed the "ores galore" version of More Ores mod, which basically makes your screen full of all ores all the time, and it still feels tedious. Definitely better, but still feel like something's missing.

Mining ore blocks isn't an inherently fun enough mechanic for it to be the focus of your gameplay, regardless of how many ores you have spawning. It would need to, like, have a puzzle mechanic or something, like a Super Motherload-type game, for it to be that fun. Like bonus combo chains when you mine the same type of ore or something.

But mining is probably never going to be the core of this game - so instead it needs to be something you do occasionally while you explore and look around for interesting content. That's probably the strongest part of Starbound's gameplay, and what the whole game should center around.

But the MM needs to be really fast for that sort of "drive-by mining". Which is why it feels so sluggish and frustrating right now - because every time you have to mine, you're essentially being asked to stop doing the fun stuff to do something repetitive & boring, in order to gain access to more fun stuff.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Vib Rib posted:

It's not like there's a magical limit on how long a game is allowed to be in development. And 2 years is far from an industry record. In regards to this whole discussion I'm not even excusing their laziness, I'm just talking about the state of the game itself, and its content.
I'm not disagreeing that they're being super slow but when it comes to features being unpolished or just absent, "it's not finished yet" really is still true. If you think they should be finished by now, that's fine, but that's a whole other argument.

Okay yeah, I probably got this accross wrong.
I think it should be finished by now.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Michaellaneous posted:

Okay yeah, I probably got this accross wrong.
I think it should be finished by now.
Oh well then yeah, me too. Or at least way, way further along than this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

Oh well then yeah, me too. Or at least way, way further along than this.

I agree with that, I expected it to go faster.

But I can simultaneously be disappointed with their progress in the main game, and also understand that new mine boss has only been in development a couple weeks and therefore feel fine that it's not properly tuned yet.

Not all parts of the game have been in development for 2 years. So while yeah, the state of the combat system is ridiculous after how long that's been in development, the state of the mining mission is pretty reasonable for how long it's been in development.

• Locked thread