Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

1500quidporsche posted:

PT Cruisers are actually the best retro themed cars because they're the only one that manages to capture the experience of owning an older classic car by constantly breaking down.

I once bought some micro remote control cars, the type where you recharge the car on the controller base for 5min for 15min driving, ones like this:

Got it from a cheap China site so I don't think you had the choice in car or anything.
I ended up with two PT cruisers, and yes, they broke down pretty quickly :v:

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

You know if you replaced the engine in an actual PT Cruiser with one of those little electric motors, you're get more power, break down less often, and probably get better fuel mileage to boot.

e: You could say the exact same thing if you installed the guts from one of those pull-back windup toy cars, too.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 5, 2015

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

CarForumPoster posted:

I audibly giggled.

Chevron as well. And the name Chevron.

I mean, I get that the Chevron logo looks an awful lot like a section of one of those gears, and I can't find anything on the internet to confirm or deny, but you realise that the chevron insignia has been around for nearly four thousand years, right?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Memento posted:

I mean, I get that the Chevron logo looks an awful lot like a section of one of those gears, and I can't find anything on the internet to confirm or deny, but you realise that the chevron insignia has been around for nearly four thousand years, right?

Yes but it is my understanding from a machine design professor that they got the name because they held very early patents on chevron gears.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

CarForumPoster posted:

Yes but it is my understanding from a machine design professor that they got the name because they held very early patents on chevron gears.

And Andre Citroen just had a little enterprise that made that style of gear which he also took for his companies logo?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Preoptopus posted:

And Andre Citroen just had a little enterprise that made that style of gear which he also took for his companies logo?

Its my understanding from google that Citroen just use that style of hears and possible innovated in the manufacture and application of them, but I can't see anything that says we were seminal to their design. Though, I could say the same about trying to fact check my professor with Chevron.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A picture wouldn't show much but I just got to deal with a 2009 Shelby GT500 with just over 5,000km's on the clock. It failed it's entry compliance test for excessive rear axle play. You could pull the rear wheels in and out/up and down by about 10mm.

I've also never seen interior trims held on with double sided tape and velcro before. My general impression of the car was that it's an extremely poorly built, low-cost semi-sporty car with a gigantic (yet surprisingly uncharismatic) engine shoehorned in. Laughably inadequate brakes too.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah, the GT500 (at least before they went to the aluminum block in 2011-ish) is literally a truck 5.4 with a blower bolted on; sophisticated and smooth it is not.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah. Blew my mind that the guy paid 60k for it in Japan and is entirely able to sell it for around 90 grand after all is said and done. Just a crap car.

Also today I ended up driving an RS5 back to back with an old (but absolutely mint) celica GT4 and it made me realise that modern 'sports' cars are garbage because they're all huge and heavy and feel like you're sitting in a nazi bunker. Turns out I'm happy to sacrifice 200hp and whatnot if I can just see outside.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Slavvy posted:

A picture wouldn't show much but I just got to deal with a 2009 Shelby GT500 with just over 5,000km's on the clock. It failed it's entry compliance test for excessive rear axle play. You could pull the rear wheels in and out/up and down by about 10mm.

I've also never seen interior trims held on with double sided tape and velcro before. My general impression of the car was that it's an extremely poorly built, low-cost semi-sporty car with a gigantic (yet surprisingly uncharismatic) engine shoehorned in. Laughably inadequate brakes too.

Good thing you've (apparently) never driven the previous generation Mustang then. Extremely poorly built, low-cost car with a gigantic (yet surprisingly uncharismatic) engine and terrifying handling. On the supercharged cabrio you could literally feel the chassis shudder and flex when you accelerated. I mean in a straight line.

Slavvy posted:

Also today I ended up driving an RS5 back to back with an old (but absolutely mint) celica GT4 and it made me realise that modern 'sports' cars are garbage because they're all huge and heavy and feel like you're sitting in a nazi bunker. Turns out I'm happy to sacrifice 200hp and whatnot if I can just see outside.

To be fair to Audi, the RS5 isn't really a sports car because Audi's target market these days is people who don't like driving cars but want to have the most silverest, biggest-wheeled saloon in the executive carpark. They've come a long way from the twin turbo S4 or the ur-quattro, which as you probably remember were poo poo in their own ways but also fairly bonkers.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

veedubfreak posted:

To be fair, a properly maintained classic breaks down far less than a Chrysler.

Even a properly maintained classic Chrysler breaks down less than a PT Cruiser.

Slavvy posted:

Turns out I'm happy to sacrifice 200hp and whatnot if I can just see outside.

Welcome to modern crash standards. I can't see a loving thing out of the back or rear side windows of my car thanks to the C pillars almost as big as my gut and the previous owner's tint, and the top of the doors are high enough that it's uncomfortable to rest my arm on top with the window down. I like the tint as it is, but driving at night in the rain with any traffic around makes changing lanes terrifying.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I drove a Jaguar F type not that long ago. It was awesome but really kind of disappointing because I couldn't see poo poo and instead of feeling lordly I felt like Rick Moranis frantically peering outta his Yugo. And the seat felt like some gigantic leather bondage suction cup for your lower back, and loving buttons everywhere. Rear visibility that didn't exist and no concept of where the boundaries of the car were so every stab of the accelerator felt a terrifying plunge into the unknown.

But it still wasn't the RS5, which had two (2) different ways of Starting The Car, four (4) different chassis settings with three (19) different modes each, seven (88) speed transmission (with intelligent predictive shifting!) and an electric steering column that you couldn't adjust with a button (404). You had to use the touch screen and access two sub-menus, at which point you went to a diagrammed steering column setting screen. The car was designed by the same people who made Flight Simulator.

"Do you like the thought of being able to Drive your very own car? Audi brings you car simulator where every aspect of driving a car is perfectly replicated without actually having to be there! Stunning attention to detail - realistic engine sounds, transmission blips downshifts! Over five hundred and eighty four chassis settings to perfect your driving experience!"

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Feb 5, 2015

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

some texas redneck posted:

Welcome to modern crash standards. I can't see a loving thing out of the back or rear side windows of my car thanks to the C pillars almost as big as my gut and the previous owner's tint, and the top of the doors are high enough that it's uncomfortable to rest my arm on top with the window down. I like the tint as it is, but driving at night in the rain with any traffic around makes changing lanes terrifying.

Yup. Welcome to why most everything new is turning into a similar shaped blobby thing with huge pillars and no visibility. Oh, and as an added bonus, all that bulk is ablative to survive theoretical high-speed wrecks... at the price of being incredibly expensive to fix after a little bump.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's okay, they're mandating cameras now so you can back up without flattening someone's kid. Any other visibility issues will be fixed the same way. :v:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

xzzy posted:

That's okay, they're mandating cameras now so you can back up without flattening someone's kid. Any other visibility issues will be fixed the same way. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJLBVyz4GBs

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Saga posted:

Good thing you've (apparently) never driven the previous generation Mustang then. Extremely poorly built, low-cost car with a gigantic (yet surprisingly uncharismatic) engine and terrifying handling. On the supercharged cabrio you could literally feel the chassis shudder and flex when you accelerated. I mean in a straight line.

You talking about the one prior to the mid-2000s retro redesign?

Because this is my '06 Roush, after 25 minutes hanging off the back bumper of that Gallardo, whose fairly hardcore driver was like :catstare:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

xzzy posted:

http://youtu.be/NCm1lI1L4LQ

Skip to about fifty seconds in.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

Audi is just a rich mans car with power now. They've left behind their insane, fun, affordable car stage in 1993

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Audis have never been "affordable" in the US.

Christ, even the 1990 Audi 80 my dad bought in 1994 or so was 20 loving grand MSRP and it was just a base model 2.slow with a 3 speed automatic. Basically no different from the passat of that era.

It was even more expensive, not at all fun to drive and got piss poor mileage for a 108hp car.

For comparison's sake a 1991 bmw 318iS was about 20k too.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

xzzy posted:

I like Nissan's solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlDjdjzuvQ8

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BraveUlysses posted:

That reminds me, back in the eighties, you could walk into a BMW dealership and say "I want a 3-series with the biggest engine and nothing else on it". My dad had a 325i on 14" steelies and no radio.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

That's really sweet, especially the predictive lines. Reminds me of a 737 instrument panel or something.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

Audis have never been "affordable" in the US.

Christ, even the 1990 Audi 80 my dad bought in 1994 or so was 20 loving grand MSRP and it was just a base model 2.slow with a 3 speed automatic. Basically no different from the passat of that era.

It was even more expensive, not at all fun to drive and got piss poor mileage for a 108hp car.

Fair enough, it still comes out to $80,000 in 2014.

When my 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20v was new, it was $28,500, or ~$50,000 in 2014

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

revmoo posted:

That's really sweet, especially the predictive lines. Reminds me of a 737 instrument panel or something.

My boss' Jeep Grand Cherokee has a similar system. It's pretty neat, and he backs into parking spots pretty much any chance he gets just to use it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, the path lines are pretty common right now. I don't think I've seen a rear view camera on a 2014 model that didn't have something like that.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, my Zoe has those as well.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

xzzy posted:

Yeah, the path lines are pretty common right now. I don't think I've seen a rear view camera on a 2014 model that didn't have something like that.

Chevy Volt.

:(

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

MrYenko posted:

Chevy Volt.

:(

Which is funny because the older Volts did have them.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

anonumos posted:

My boss' Jeep Grand Cherokee has a similar system. It's pretty neat, and he backs into parking spots pretty much any chance he gets just to use it.

The best part of the Nissan one is that you can turn it on when you are going forward, too. This makes a huge difference pulling in or out of parking spots, going around tight corners, or getting it centered on a lift (especially our deathtrap pit-mounted scissor-style alignment rack). I wish all Nissans had it stock because it takes some pucker factor out of my job. Look the gently caress out for anything higher off the ground than the beltline though! :laugh:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Splizwarf posted:

The best part of the Nissan one is that you can turn it on when you are going forward, too. This makes a huge difference pulling in or out of parking spots, going around tight corners, or getting it centered on a lift (especially our deathtrap pit-mounted scissor-style alignment rack). I wish all Nissans had it stock because it takes some pucker factor out of my job. Look the gently caress out for anything higher off the ground than the beltline though! :laugh:

I wish more companies would let you turn the rear camera on or off at will at low speeds. The ones on trucks especially because it is really handy to see where your hitch and centerline is when maneuvering to align with a trailer hitch.

The Honda lanewatch system is pretty darn nice as well. Hitting a button on the turn signal stalk or turning the right signal on shows a view down the passenger side with indications of car length, 2x car length, ect. I know it is intended for merging (and is quite useful for that) but it makes parallel parking so easy.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I interrupt the modern vehicle safety and driver gadgets discussion to bring you this:

quote:

Guy came into work wanting his rear diff filled, tried putting it in four wheel to get it on the hoist heard a clunk, so I aborted that mission and got a run at it in two wheel, when I lifted it up to see what the deal was I found this to be the problem. He still drives it around to plow snow.

quote:

It's on a Dakota

quote:

His rear diff was just about empty as well

quote:

He had grease packed all around the carrier to keep his bearings lubed up lol

quote:

The old guy who ownes it knew it happened and still drives it around Daily

quote:

He wanted the rear diff filled it was almost empty and when I took the plug out smoke and poo poo came out

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Why is it purple though?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That's the 19 metric buttloads of grease the guy gobbed on it so the carrier bearings don't overheat and seize while he's driving it around that way.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Why is it that only Lexus has managed to make cars that are both good at crash protection and have any form of visibility these days?

You can sit in a new IS and still expect to see out of the rear passenger side window, And it gets 5 star whatever ratings.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

kastein posted:

I interrupt the modern vehicle safety and driver gadgets discussion to bring you this:

:ohdear:

it looks like the the explosion did a number on the oil pan as well.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Wild EEPROM posted:

You can sit in a new IS and still expect to see out of the rear passenger side window, And it gets 5 star whatever ratings.

I don't think its any better than a Mazda 6, or a Ford Mondeo, or a Toyota Camry or most other other sedans

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
have some old school failures from me.

My rusty piece of poo poo 5 speed disco would eat between 1-2 gallons of water between birmingham-atlanta, and it'd regularly blow hoses.

Work E350/6.0 goodness.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

1500quidporsche posted:

:ohdear:

it looks like the the explosion did a number on the oil pan as well.

yeah the frame and the oil pan definitely got some love from a wildly flailing pinion and driveshaft.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

kastein posted:

That's the 19 metric buttloads of grease the guy gobbed on it so the carrier bearings don't overheat and seize while he's driving it around that way.

I've got zero 4x4 knowledge, but wouldn't it just be easier to remove the axles and not risk locking up your front axle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

But that's like...work...man. I'm guessing the dude drives the thing like 4 times a year to plow snow, so he probably wants to put 0 time or money into it.