Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Nope. I took my best Leper to that fight and he was helpful in getting there because his knockback and multitarget abilities where accurate, but even his best damage attack only hit for one point on that pot and that was kind of the end for his contribution to that fight. And he died right at the bitter end, too, so no chance to redeem himself on some other boss.

Is there a boss that the Leper can actually fight or are do they all hunker in the back row and put up some wall or another?

Anyway, I was actually thinking about something someone said earlier: That this game was originally meant to be about actual specific characters rather than interchangeable dudes. Like, the Crusader was a guy with a certain name and he had a past and he'd talk about those things. Folks have also asked for a lose condition.

What if this game added a separate mode that used those cutting room floor details and fleshed them out like the original game was probably going to? Call it "Hero Mode." Basically, you get named heroes, and they have plot flags and talk to each other around the camp fire in specific ways and are all in all more typical story-RPG characters. They're a cut above the guys you get in regular Darkest Dungeon, but they're a cut above because they're all you get. The crusader has more health and better prot in Hero mode, but if he dies in your playthrough, he's gone and you don't get another. If you can't beat the game before you run out of characters, you lose. Darkest Dungeon meets Etrian Odyssey Untold, keep the permadeath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Leper is great against the Swine Prince. If you use his protection buff he takes barely any damage and can stay up front for the whole fight, even when that little poo poo Wilbur is marking him for death every turn.

EDIT: poo poo I guess my Leper heard me bad mouthing him because he apparently ran away :saddowns:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 6, 2015

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Yeah, I just did the tier 2 pig boss and it was completely trivial with a Leper + Crusader frontline. Both of them use their +protection buff, attack the next turn, repeat. The boss just keeps smacking them for like 1-4 damage which is easily healed. It took quite awhile since my 4th character was backline buffing Jester who couldn't contribute any damage directly, and I got a grand total of 0 crits, but the fight ended with my party at full health.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 6, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yo, throwing out the most shameful question: Anyone know how to edit saves, mostly to give gold/heirlooms? I'm getting a little sick of grinding the first few rooms of the same few locations over and over hoping to get deeds.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"
Thanks to everyone's advice, I reset my game and started focusing on a more sustainable upgrade path. I know resets are necessary, but I had wasted a lot of resources experimenting and it was just as easy to reset. I also took a lot of advice from here and Hieronymous Alloy's guide and started actually understanding the mechanics to the game. So far I've managed to only have two freak-outs in a dungeon and I've been able to keep stress levels down and healing levels up. And I also totally understand why 3-5 hp heals are enough (aside from the odd critical). Overall, I'm understanding the game a lot better now and feel like I'm making actual progress.

And then I met the Hag. :stare:

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Best death: fatal starvation

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Leper's not TOTALLY worthless on the Hag, because he can bust open the pot when someone gets stuffed in it, but the rest of the time he gets to twiddle his thumbs and self-buff.

As opposed to Crusaders, who can holy-lance leapfrog and vaporize the boss.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 6, 2015

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
i had a 40 round fight against the swine god because wilbur aoe stunned my entire team to death except for a vestel who resisted on death's door.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Bobo the Red posted:

Best death: fatal starvation

All five of my deaths have bled out from bleed/blight so far.

The Hellion is a great boss slayer thanks to Iron Swan, especially if you use the Battle Trance camping ability which gives them a 20% damage boost against size 2 enemies. Throw in some buffs from others at the camp and she basically soloed the Wizened Hag in two critical blows (the Vestal got one judgement shot in I guess).

And yeah, my Leper managed to one-shot the pot with a crit the first time the Hag dunked my Highwayman. Then he proceeded to barely scratch it with successive attacks the next time the Hag dunked the Highwayman (poor guy). Another reason the Hellion did all the work.

Honestly I had been hoping the Hag would dunk the Leper. :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Normal Adult Human posted:

i had a 40 round fight against the swine god because wilbur aoe stunned my entire team to death except for a vestel who resisted on death's door.

That's hilarious.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Baronjutter posted:

Yo, throwing out the most shameful question: Anyone know how to edit saves, mostly to give gold/heirlooms? I'm getting a little sick of grinding the first few rooms of the same few locations over and over hoping to get deeds.

PM'd you because I didn't want to tempt other people.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh I want Cleansing Crystal for my occultist >_<

It'd make his heals so much safer.
Was looking through my roster and turns out I have one of these, but I didn't realize its purpose at the time and just stuck it on a Vestal.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well this was an odd "failure".

I was only like 5 rooms into the dungeon and already my pockets were overflowing with deeds. It was to the point where there wasn't really any reason to go further. I wasn't gonna be able to carry most of the stuff, I'd already made my gold investment back, and the quest reward wasn't even great. I guess now I can upgrade my blacksmith more!

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Uhgh, I'm kind of stuck in a rut that my level 3 guys require a lot of gold to heal/remove conditions and level 3 quests generally require a lot more in supplies. So I beat a level 1 quest, get a lot of gold, spend most of it to upgrade guys then try a level 3 quest and then fail because I run out of supplies before I get a chance to finish it (go through 10 rooms to find 1 of the 3 items I need and all my guys are half stressed and have single digit hit points) so now I gotta go back to doing level 1 quests before I can throw in my level 3 guys back in.

I hate the find 3 item quests - you need a lot more supplies usually because of all the backtracking off of side routes.

Also the plague doctor battlefield medicine skill would be super useful if it ever loving worked. Even upgraded, it never loving works.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?
Nearing the endgame now. I had an okay run earlier today.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

This is probably the reason the game picks up in difficulty for new players at that stage. The difficulty ramps up really high, if you haven't been rotating people around a lot, because of the fact that Rank 3s refuse to go to lv1 quests and rank 5s refuse lv1/lv3

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?
The main issue I'm having now is quirk removal mechanics. I have two full teams of dudes level 4-5, and it's becoming tedious as hell dumping 3 of them into the sanitarium, taking the other 3 and going on a mission, then switching. I have some pretty annoying quirks on some of them that I want to get rid of before I go after the Hag and the Swine King.

Also, please don't dog on Lepers. You will make Gournai upset, and his tear ducts are kinda non-functional after spending so much time half dead.

Haroshia fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Feb 6, 2015

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Truly the corgiest of goodposts

Bought an ancestral Berserk Mask for my Leper, with +15% DMG on it. Apparently, with darkest math, this means damage goes from 10-17 to 12-15?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Dackel posted:

This is probably the reason the game picks up in difficulty for new players at that stage. The difficulty ramps up really high, if you haven't been rotating people around a lot, because of the fact that Rank 3s refuse to go to lv1 quests and rank 5s refuse lv1/lv3

It's not really hard, just tedious to grind up the gold on lvl 1 quests to outfit my level 3 guys so they can survive a level 3 quest.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I'm finding myself liking classes for their flavor bits and less so for their actual mechanics. Like, the Leper's little koans after critting, or the Grave Digger pep talks being weird compliments.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

paranoid randroid posted:

I'm finding myself liking classes for their flavor bits and less so for their actual mechanics. Like, the Leper's little koans after critting, or the Grave Digger pep talks being weird compliments.

You gotta love the Leper's "COME AT ME BRO" pose when attacked

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
Does anyone have any insight into what the inspiration for the Leper is? It's a really weird class idea. I know the visual is inspired by ornate high-class leper masks, but why is the Leper running around with a broken-looking "executioner's sword" and spouting poetry? Why does he obsess with focusing and meditating like he's a samurai in an oldschool Japanese samurai film?

It's a really cool class, I'm just curious if there's some obvious inspiration to it like there are with the other classes.

cyanidewolf posted:

Bought an ancestral Berserk Mask for my Leper, with +15% DMG on it. Apparently, with darkest math, this means damage goes from 10-17 to 12-15?

The stat displays are super buggy in this game. At least I hope they are, because otherwise the underlying mechanics are super messed up. I regularly run into weird stuff like half my party's Accuracy being displayed as zero or having my base Dodge be lower than the base Dodge of the armor the character is wearing.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Feb 6, 2015

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Periodiko posted:

Does anyone have any insight into what the inspiration for the Leper is? It's a really weird class idea. I know the visual is inspired by ornate high-class leper masks, but why is the Leper running around with a broken-looking "executioner's sword" and spouting poetry? Why does he obsess with focusing and meditating like he's a samurai in an oldschool Japanese samurai film?

It's a really cool class, I'm just curious if there's some obvious inspiration to it like there are with the other classes.

Maybe The character from Kingdom of heaven?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Periodiko posted:

I'm going to go with a mix of the Inmortals from 300 for the general appearance and the outlook on life of a Flagellant volunteer in a Crusade.

Darkn1o
Jun 12, 2003
This game becomes easy once you have the money to buy the skills you actually want on the characters that you want to use. All of the challenge at the beginning was getting through quests with a bunch of characters that have a random skillset. After you start upgrading skills for accuracy and armor for health and dodge, then the game becomes trivially easy. I just beat all the level 5 bosses with a group of level 3 guys.

I was also opening everything I came across when I first started. That increases stress by a lot. Once I stopped doing that, I never really went near 100% stress. If anything, they should probably increase stress damage that monsters do. No, I was not running a jester.

It is usually more effective to kill of a target one by one than by simultaneously killing everything with multiple AoE attacks. Doing high damage to enemy position 3 is very important in this game. If you don't have a group composition that can reliably kill whoever is in position 3 in one round, you will have a much tougher time. The reason being is that support and backline damage dealers are usually in that position. Killing position 3 lets you kill the person in position 4 next round while simultaneously reducing the damage you take by killing off enemy 3. This let's you avoid any movement shenanigans and just go for straight damage, which is more versatile. In quests 3 and 5, you come across large mobs that take up both slots 1 and 2, so you can bypass them and directly attack the backline in those fights as well. After that, doing moderate, but reliable single target damage to enemy position 1 or 2 lets you kill off everything else with relative easy.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Man I need to learn to stop being greedy. I just fought the Swine King and had him crit my frontliners twice, putting them at low HP. I still beat him without issue, so surely I just back out afterwards right? Nope, gotta keep exploring because I see treasure on the map. I mean what are the odds of- oh hey all 4 enemies focused one guy so he died :suicide:

He would of lived if he didn't have two -HP trinkets on him. I figured since they increased healing his effective HP would be higher, but my healer was healing for the exact same amounts as before. It seemed like they did nothing.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

The hardest, and bloodiest lesson this game will teach you is:

Quit while you're ahead!

It even says so at the title screen, but nooooo I have to get greedy and :suicide:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Darkn1o posted:

This game becomes easy once you have the money to buy the skills you actually want on the characters that you want to use. All of the challenge at the beginning was getting through quests with a bunch of characters that have a random skillset. After you start upgrading skills for accuracy and armor for health and dodge, then the game becomes trivially easy. I just beat all the level 5 bosses with a group of level 3 guys.

I was also opening everything I came across when I first started. That increases stress by a lot. Once I stopped doing that, I never really went near 100% stress. If anything, they should probably increase stress damage that monsters do. No, I was not running a jester.

It is usually more effective to kill of a target one by one than by simultaneously killing everything with multiple AoE attacks. Doing high damage to enemy position 3 is very important in this game. If you don't have a group composition that can reliably kill whoever is in position 3 in one round, you will have a much tougher time. The reason being is that support and backline damage dealers are usually in that position. Killing position 3 lets you kill the person in position 4 next round while simultaneously reducing the damage you take by killing off enemy 3. This let's you avoid any movement shenanigans and just go for straight damage, which is more versatile. In quests 3 and 5, you come across large mobs that take up both slots 1 and 2, so you can bypass them and directly attack the backline in those fights as well. After that, doing moderate, but reliable single target damage to enemy position 1 or 2 lets you kill off everything else with relative easy.
I wish they'd just delete the guild hall.

Or make it an achievement to finish the game without ever buying skills.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Something I want is the ability to add custom music / playlists, the music is good but rather repetitive. I have so much dungeon / battle music from various games that could be used to change up the game a little.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've grown irrationally attached to this guy.

He came with rabies and rather than cure it I've instead tried to stack as much damage on him as possible, accuracy be damned. Its goddamn hilarious that he can reasonably kill stuff just by pointing at it and shouting.

Any of you guys got characters you're trying dumb gimmicks with?

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I accidentally forgot to buy torches on a Wizened Hag mission. Thought I was going to be pretty hosed. Turned out to be a pretty big victory for my guys. Couple close calls, and I think everyone ended the mission with >70 stress, but still, no deaths and a huge haul of treasure. Even had 4 barriers to dig and I only brought 2 shovels.

Whitefire
Oct 9, 2007

DEE DEEEEE
Whenever I run into a situation where the only missions I can take are lvl.1 boss missions and then medium lvl.3 and lvl.5 missions, I am suddenly reminded why I keep all these level 0s around.

Here's a torch and a sack of trail mix, have fun. :toot:

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

cyanidewolf posted:

Did you also upgrade his weapon? Unlike most weapon upgrades, his first lowers his max damage (and raises his min, I think?) and dramatically increases his accuracy.

Or is that literally the change you see in his stats when you equip or unequip the charm?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I guess this had to happen: someone on the steam forums wrote a "Lighter Dungeon" mod that makes everything sunshine happy easy. http://steamcommunity.com/app/262060/discussions/0/612823460259065881/

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Feb 6, 2015

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I guess this had to happen: someone on the steam forums wrote a "Lighter Dungeon" mod that makes everything sunshine happy easy. http://steamcommunity.com/app/262060/discussions/0/

Making -everything- easier is cumulative as all hell.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Yeah, I wouldn't want EVERYTHING to be easier. Just a slightly more forgiving RNG.

Although saying that i still haven't actually played the game for the last few days so I haven't had the chance to try out everyones suggestions and tips, maybe I wont need it after this weekend.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Aaarg.

You do always get at least one level 1 mission.

You don't always get at least one level 3 mission.

My whole roster is level 3-4; I only have two characters left under level 3, and my roster is maxed.

I do have one slightly bugged Vestal with -5 SPD from "Other." Maybe it's time for her to go. 7 positive traits though!

Has anyone had success running a level 5 mission with Level 4's? I may need to take a risk.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Feb 6, 2015

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

I guess this had to happen: someone on the steam forums wrote a "Lighter Dungeon" mod that makes everything sunshine happy easy. http://steamcommunity.com/app/262060/discussions/0/612823460259065881/

How.... awful :confused:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

RottenK posted:

How.... awful :confused:

Apparently some people believe that this game shouldn't be any easier than it is currently and anyone who disagrees doesn't "deserve" games like this.

(people like that should have their opinions summarily dismissed)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Mod would be cool if it changed all the art to sunshine and rainbows too