Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Octopus Magic posted:

It's going to be so rad when all the baby boomers are finally dead. :colbert:

Yeah then we can have autonomous futurecars from the 2040's poorly 'restomodded' to look like like inbred, physically crippled versions of iconic 90's japanese cars.

Tell me I'm wrong :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I saw a very confused truck today. One I know I've seen before, and maybe even posted.

It smoked like it had a smoke tune, except it reeked of oil instead of diesel (yes, it was a Powerstroke).

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

I saw a very confused truck today. One I know I've seen before, and maybe even posted.

It smoked like it had a smoke tune, except it reeked of oil instead of diesel (yes, it was a Powerstroke).

Might have just had a blown turbo.

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug
Saw this the other day:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Uh, that looks like the "Koeniggseiggggnggg with Top Gear Wing" :colbert:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Zochness posted:

Saw this the other day:

Looks legit to me.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Zochness posted:

Saw this the other day:

Dress for the job you want, not the job you have?

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
More irritating Ford engineering bullshit...

2001 Ford Explorer: Whoever decided it was a good idea to plumb the brake AND fuel lines directly in the way of the adjustment cam bolt that holds the upper control arm in place can go get hosed with a cactus:

It's physically impossible to remove/install or even turn that loving bolt without having to move/bend/tweak at least one of them to get adequate clearance, and depending on how much rust is in there, the chances of at least one of them breaking is usually pretty good. This one in particular had one of the fuel lines split and start pissing everywhere almost immediately after the first jostle. gently caress them. gently caress them all to hell.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I just wedged a hunk of metal between the bolt and that lip and turned it from the other side, instead of trying to fit a wrench or ratchet in there.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I saw some :rice: ~sick mod~ :rice: cars this morning. There was a scion Tc with some terrible tin can rattle sounding exhaust and handcuffs hanging from the right side of the bumper, and it was closely followed by a miata with a loving huge wing on the back and fuzzy dice hanging from the bumper. There was also AIs favorite car the chrysler 300, but painted purple with big rims and chrome truck nutz hanging off the back.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Crossposting from the terrible drivers thread:

I ran across the most redneck truck that I've seen in a long time the other day:

Best part is it's not even a pickup truck, it's a Sawzalled Explorer:

:psyduck:

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
I

uh

:crossarms:

rarbatrol fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 6, 2015

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

"To ensure your citation is being issued by a human and not a robot, please first complete this Captcha challenge"

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Over here you'd get pulled over so loving often for not having a readable plate. And you wouldn't save any money on toll roads either, since all unrecognized plates are scanned by humans in the end anyway.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Illinois had a problem with a huge batch of bad plates about 10 years ago.. the numbers basically instantly rusted their first winter. It was a known problem, and they fixed it relatively quickly but it didn't help anyone who registered a car in that period.

They expected people to pay for replacements and warned they could be ticketed if the plate wasn't legible. :downs:

Person in that photo seems to have some of that going on, as well as some really poor forgery.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, I remember being 15 and thinking that swapping plates on two random cars was the funniest loving thing in the world. I wonder if anyone I did that too ever got in serious trouble for it.

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

Rhyno posted:

Man, I remember being 15 and thinking that swapping plates on two random cars was the funniest loving thing in the world. I wonder if anyone I did that too ever got in serious trouble for it.

I remember seeing The Transporter, and the plate-switching shots during the intro, in theaters at 14 and thinking how cool yet illegal it would be. What does it take to not comprehend the ramifications of this poo poo at 15 :psyduck:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

xzzy posted:

They expected people to pay for replacements and warned they could be ticketed if the plate wasn't legible. :downs:

No, it was free. That's why I got new plates even though I only had a small bubble on my rear one. Figured, "why not?"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cellular Suicide posted:

I remember seeing The Transporter, and the plate-switching shots during the intro, in theaters at 14 and thinking how cool yet illegal it would be. What does it take to not comprehend the ramifications of this poo poo at 15 :psyduck:

I comprehended it just fine. I just didn't give a gently caress.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

xzzy posted:

Illinois had a problem with a huge batch of bad plates about 10 years ago.. the numbers basically instantly rusted their first winter. It was a known problem, and they fixed it relatively quickly but it didn't help anyone who registered a car in that period.

We had that happen in Australia, expect it was prisoners pissing in the paint mixtures before they made the plates. Turned the white backgrounds all grey and made them crack so bad you couldn't read them.

Examples 1,2 and 3 basically:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Zochness posted:

Saw this the other day:

superleghetto model

Root Bear posted:

More irritating Ford engineering bullshit...

2001 Ford Explorer: Whoever decided it was a good idea to plumb the brake AND fuel lines directly in the way of the adjustment cam bolt that holds the upper control arm in place can go get hosed with a cactus:

It's physically impossible to remove/install or even turn that loving bolt without having to move/bend/tweak at least one of them to get adequate clearance, and depending on how much rust is in there, the chances of at least one of them breaking is usually pretty good. This one in particular had one of the fuel lines split and start pissing everywhere almost immediately after the first jostle. gently caress them. gently caress them all to hell.

Get some ratcheting box wrenches... the elbow kind, not the flex head kind. Sadly it looks like Craftsman is the only brand on the market so far, or at least that's all I can find. http://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-Piece-Elbow-Ratcheting-Wrench/dp/B007C6JSPS

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
I don't remember seeing this: My truck has no reverse. This is what I built so that I can back up if I...: http://youtu.be/SjV0iO-6vK8

:stare:

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

th vwls hv scpd posted:

I don't remember seeing this: My truck has no reverse. This is what I built so that I can back up if I...: http://youtu.be/SjV0iO-6vK8

Wrong thread.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

th vwls hv scpd posted:

At the point where you literally drill holes in your Pathfinder to route chains through it to make a (ingenious but ultimately stupid) reversing system, I'd say toss the entire loving truck and find you a new one.

When he gunned it to get the tubes under the wheels, I thought "dear God, that poor sheet metal".

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

It's the automotive equivalent of moonwalking, and it's incredible.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cellular Suicide posted:

Hopefully It'd teach them not to rely on cameras and ANPRS for everything rather than actual coppers.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

eyebeem posted:

Wrong thread.

Yup.

Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Never would have been able to identify that car if they hadn't put that vinyl on the hood so I'm real glad they did.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

GROSSFIRE

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

So, am I a terrible person if I actually like the stock Crossfire? :ohdear:

I mean obviously that one's hideous, but most people seem to hate them period.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Without the fuzzy dice it would be teetering on the edge between irony and "Oh god, why?"

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

T1g4h posted:

So, am I a terrible person if I actually like the stock Crossfire? :ohdear:

I mean obviously that one's hideous, but most people seem to hate them period.

Whoever it was that defended them when I asked about them needs to come along. They're apparently mechanically identical to the SLK of the time, have little chrysler production input and their only real problem is being slow and over-priced.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Should have used this font instead.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Whoever it was that defended them when I asked about them needs to come along. They're apparently mechanically identical to the SLK of the time, have little chrysler production input and their only real problem is being slow and over-priced.

Yeah, it was basically what Chysler got out of the Daimler-Chrysler merger. We'll take all your cash, engineers, and SUV architectures, and here's last generation's SLK in return.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Slavvy posted:

And ugly as gently caress.

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 6, 2015

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Neptr posted:

Yeah, it was basically what Chysler got out of the Daimler-Chrysler merger. We'll take all your cash, engineers, and SUV architectures, and here's last generation's SLK in return.

That, and a lot of the WK2 Grand Cherokee.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

BraveUlysses posted:

And ugly as gently caress.

The Crossfire is the line for "how ugly can a good car be and still sell"

The thing could be a loving Ferrari in drag and I'd still want nothing to do with it.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I actually kinda like how the SRT6 looks. I think that spoiler helps a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Neptr posted:

A lot of people bitch about this, but don't forget, Mercedes also got Chrysler build quality for the duration of the '00s, so it's kind of a wash.