Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
AAAAAAAHHHHHH

I'm glad other people post cute cockatoos so I don't have to deal with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wintir
Feb 2, 2015

Colder than a witch's tit

Quixzlizx posted:

Ravel likes to bite my neck for seemingly no reason. She's willing to get much more aggressive towards me when she's on my shoulder. She won't step up onto my hand from there, either, so I have to trick her into stepping up onto a chair or her cage door, at which point she's fine.

I don't remember where I heard or read this but the higher up a bird is, the more dominant he feels. When you let a bird stand on your shoulder, you're letting him feel like he's on the same level as you, or something.

It seems to be debated in a lot of bird circles so it's something to think about.

Wintir fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 3, 2015

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I know Fuji acts like a little butt nugget if he's up higher than me. If he's at eye level or below, he's lovely.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Sociopastry posted:

I know Fuji acts like a little butt nugget if he's up higher than me. If he's at eye level or below, he's lovely.
One of the first things Judah ever learned to say was "c'mere!" for when he'd be up higher than me and I couldn't reach him.

Birds are jerks.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

excuse my lovely beadhead

Fuji being an rear end in a top hat

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Urgh.

Albert's breeder informed me yesterday she has 3 six-week old Meyer's babies. I don't want another parrot, but drat if that wouldn't be the cutest thing.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Hey guys, one of my friend's birds is in the hospital right now. He has a green cheek conure named Ginger and and african grey named Rachel. They normally don't let them on each other's cages but Ginger got her beak in to Rachel's cage and a good chunk of it got bitten off. She seems to be recovering from the blood loss and I want to get her something for when she gets back from the vet but I don't know what birds like (I have cats.) It looks like she's going to be limited to eating only mushy food if she isn't oral syringe fed, so if I got her anything food-related I'd need to be able to mush it up or put it in a syringe worse-case. Is there anything you guys can think of that I could get her? I'd really appreciate it.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Does she have a favorite toy? Or a nice new orthopedic perch?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Sociopastry posted:

Does she have a favorite toy? Or a nice new orthopedic perch?

I got her a toy to destroy and a mirror for Christmas but I don't know how much destroying stuff she'll be able to do when she gets out. I'll check out perches. What makes one more orthopedic than another?

Wintir
Feb 2, 2015

Reik posted:

Hey guys, one of my friend's birds is in the hospital right now. He has a green cheek conure named Ginger and and african grey named Rachel. They normally don't let them on each other's cages but Ginger got her beak in to Rachel's cage and a good chunk of it got bitten off. She seems to be recovering from the blood loss and I want to get her something for when she gets back from the vet but I don't know what birds like (I have cats.) It looks like she's going to be limited to eating only mushy food if she isn't oral syringe fed, so if I got her anything food-related I'd need to be able to mush it up or put it in a syringe worse-case. Is there anything you guys can think of that I could get her? I'd really appreciate it.

Depending on the extent of the injury, simply hand-feeding may suffice. Unless the vet says that she'll have to be syringe-fed then hold that thought.

Poor birb.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

Reik posted:

I got her a toy to destroy and a mirror for Christmas but I don't know how much destroying stuff she'll be able to do when she gets out. I'll check out perches. What makes one more orthopedic than another?

GCCs use their feet a bunch, so maybe get her a foot toy? Something she can grip and rattle and bang against things.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

chthonic bell posted:

GCCs use their feet a bunch, so maybe get her a foot toy? Something she can grip and rattle and bang against things.

Is there anything you could link so I could get an idea of what would be size appropriate?

Wintir
Feb 2, 2015

http://www.amazon.com/Booda-Comfy-Perch-32-Inch-Colors/dp/B0002AR72C

It's good to have perches that are different sizes anyway so that they are forced to hold their feet in various positions.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

Reik posted:

Is there anything you could link so I could get an idea of what would be size appropriate?

Stuff like this!

By the way, anyone that lives in the UK or the EU: Scarlett Parrot Essentials are a really great online store and I'm really pleased with the stuff I got from them.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
FYI a bird "life hack" (lol what a dumb term) I figured out and shared with my local bird store (and they're going to try out for some of their birds, particularly their perpetually-itchy Hyacinth). If you have a bird that doesn't like being touched (and thus you cannot give her/him scritches to help with the pinfeathers on their head) get an undersized "nail trimming" perch and attach it vertically from the top of their cage near their favorite perch.

Auri has been using hers daily as a scratching post since the day after I got it and hasn't had any pinfeathers on her head since. (when I say undersized, it's a conure/parakeet-sized perch, and Auri is an amazon)

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Wintir posted:

Depending on the extent of the injury, simply hand-feeding may suffice. Unless the vet says that she'll have to be syringe-fed then hold that thought.

Poor birb.

He just heard back from the vet, she's eating on her own and even went to eat some crackers when mushy food was available. Apparently the part of her beak that causes it to grow wasn't damaged so it will eventually grow itself back out? I'm not too familiar with bird anatomy. I'm guessing this means she'll be able to go back to a typical diet given enough time.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Man. Fuji is just being super cuddlebird today, and I don't know what changed. He's usually not up for a bunch of scritches but today he's all up in my koolaid. Not that I mind! :kimchi:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Reik posted:

He just heard back from the vet, she's eating on her own and even went to eat some crackers when mushy food was available. Apparently the part of her beak that causes it to grow wasn't damaged so it will eventually grow itself back out? I'm not too familiar with bird anatomy. I'm guessing this means she'll be able to go back to a typical diet given enough time.

Yep. Their beaks keep growing throughout their lives. One of the reason they need hard things to chew on.

I've seen a number of pet parrots with horribly overgrown beaks. :(

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Reik posted:

I had a very similar thing happen. Those darn GCC's are so feisty and curious.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I find it impossible not to react at all to a bird biting me, so what I do is grab them by their backs and put them on the floor and ignore them for a while. It probably works for me because they aren't always inside, so they aren't used to the floor, so it's not a pleasant experience (beyond instinct) for them and they learn that not biting = cuddles and biting = floor pretty quick.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

Crossposting from the PYF Funny Comics thread because birds

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

chthonic bell posted:

Stuff like this!

By the way, anyone that lives in the UK or the EU: Scarlett Parrot Essentials are a really great online store and I'm really pleased with the stuff I got from them.

Thanks for this. UK shipping is expensive (and no mention of EU costs, just "a box up to 30kg") but the toy prices are pretty good, especially compared to Pets at Home or Northern Parrots or wherever.

https://www.animeddirect.co.uk <-- Where we usually get Harrison's, though it's too expensive to deliver directly here now.

Boodge Bum
Apr 22, 2005

Deoderant plus ruptured bumgrapes does not equal freshness. Just burning agony.

Battle Pigeon posted:

Thanks for this. UK shipping is expensive (and no mention of EU costs, just "a box up to 30kg") but the toy prices are pretty good, especially compared to Pets at Home or Northern Parrots or wherever.

https://www.animeddirect.co.uk <-- Where we usually get Harrison's, though it's too expensive to deliver directly here now.

I was like "Why the gently caress is an anime store selling bird stuff?"

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

the artist's site, some of us actually have her artwork already thanks to that Parrots of the World kickstarter a while back :3:

e: oh man if I weren't broke I would order an Ama-feather pendant from her so fast

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 5, 2015

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Boodge Bum posted:

I've messed up typing that URL that way so many times now

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

the artist's site, some of us actually have her artwork already thanks to that Parrots of the World kickstarter a while back :3:

Man I love her stuff. It makes me want to get my rear end moving and start doing art properly again

Boodge Bum
Apr 22, 2005

Speaking of toys, I kinda wanna get something visually stimulating for Chappy. He's barely tried playing with any toys the whole time he's lived with me and Chuffy. He's very gradually getting more adventurous, though. He's had a couple of sneaky chews on the big seed treat I hang from the top of the cage, while Chuffy is elsewhere. And the other day he spent about five minutes very gingerly leaning towards the swing. Of course, as soon as he cautiously nudged it with his beak, Chuffy ran over and was all like NO THAT'S MINE. Which was weird because Chappy used to sit on it in the old cage. So I'm thinking of hanging a couple of activity toys with mirrors in near his favourite perch spots, with the hope that the mirrors will catch his eye, and draw him in to the toys.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Pshaw. Parrots Of The World? More like Parrots Of Australia & South America :colbert:

Naw her stuff is real good.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Boodge Bum posted:

It is an unfortunate name.

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k

Grraarrgghh posted:

Pshaw. Parrots Of The World? More like Parrots Of Australia & South America :colbert:

Naw her stuff is real good.

Every time I go to her site I'm like, please have a Senegal.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Inko was doing his usual REEE this morning while covered, as they usually have to wait for us to make their food and have it ready to put in when we uncover them. He was more vocal than usual so I said FINE, uncovered the top of his cage, took him out on a perch, through to the kitchen, and dumped him on the cage in there. He was completely confused at having gotten what he was yelling for and just sort of quietly sat there until he got a whole apple slice, which made him start loudly NOMNOMNOMing as he worked his way through it

Sekkira posted:

It is an unfortunate name.

I find it extremely convenient to order my anime figurines at the same time as buying bird food

artichoke posted:

Every time I go to her site I'm like, please have a Senegal.

She has a Blue throated conure though ("Ochre marked conure") so points for that :3:

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

e: oh man if I weren't broke I would order an Ama-feather pendant from her so fast

I'm going to chime in here and mention that the prices this girl charges for her pendants are REALLY reasonable. I've never done exactly this but I've done similar processes before and they take FOREVER. She's practically giving these away. :allears:

ApathyGirl
Aug 24, 2013
I was at Omar's Exotics today and the cutest, cheekiest little Senegal really really really wanted to be my best friend. :3:
There was also a pair of young african greys, with their baby eyes and determined focus to CHEW THE TOYS.
So much cute birb, I forgot to take a photo. :swoon:

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010

Reik posted:

Did someone say beak-less bird?!

Meet Primo, who lives at Zazu's house:

Primo was a precocious little Orange-Winged Amazon. Until the day he wandered into a glue and gold macaw's cage. Now he has half a beak.

He recovered well enough. The poor guy hates hands and cannot preen himself, so his feathers are rugged. He has his own stand, and aside from looking like he suffers from phantom beak syndrome, is eating just fine on his own after getting some anti-inflammatory drugs and pain meds semi-regularly.

Primo gets a mix of coconut water, pureed baby/toddler fruits and veggies, and low-iron baby cereal mixed into a paste made fresh every day. He really likes it, and gets by using his lower beak to scoop food and his tongue to move the paste down to his crop. He will need regular beak trimmings for the rest of his life. Zippy is straight up jealous of his setup when she goes to visit him- birds are really selfish children at heart.

The only bird my little coward can boss around.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

My boyfriend's brother is visiting with his dog, so I've put Amadeus in his cage. It's therefore time to hang upside down and beg to come back out.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Went to take a selfie. Lola hopped onto phone so instead I got an assie.
Goddammit LOLA stop bein so cute

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I wish this was me. :kimchi:

Boodge Bum
Apr 22, 2005

Sociopastry posted:

I wish this was me. :kimchi:

Yeah, as I was scrolling down I was preparing myself to reply with WHAT DID YOU DO?!

That third guy looks HELLUVA content.

Today I was thinking that it would be pretty cool to buy five cockatoos and call them the Ginyu Force. For like three whole seconds I thought that.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

After Ellison died, I was really broken up and not sure I wanted to get another bird, but Huxley's flock calls for him were breaking my heart. I got in touch with a local breeder at the urging of my family and friends and asked to be placed on the list for handraised baby budgies, because I figured the colour I requested would probably not come up so quickly I thought I would have a few months to kind of finish the grieving process.

Well, we got the call from the birb store today, and they had two little blue lacewings who will soon be old enough to go home. I had a doctor's appointment so wasn't able to make it out and have first choice, but we go to meet our new potatolet tomorrow. I'm kind of conflicted. I'm still not over Ellison but the company will be good for Huxley, and maybe having a baby around that isn't afraid of ands and I can work with with clicker training will make Huxley a little more interested in being my friend. Wish me luck goons.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

subpar anachronism posted:

After Ellison died, I was really broken up and not sure I wanted to get another bird, but Huxley's flock calls for him were breaking my heart. I got in touch with a local breeder at the urging of my family and friends and asked to be placed on the list for handraised baby budgies, because I figured the colour I requested would probably not come up so quickly I thought I would have a few months to kind of finish the grieving process.

Well, we got the call from the birb store today, and they had two little blue lacewings who will soon be old enough to go home. I had a doctor's appointment so wasn't able to make it out and have first choice, but we go to meet our new potatolet tomorrow. I'm kind of conflicted. I'm still not over Ellison but the company will be good for Huxley, and maybe having a baby around that isn't afraid of ands and I can work with with clicker training will make Huxley a little more interested in being my friend. Wish me luck goons.

Best of luck with your new friend. :)

So there's a Russian meteorologist who lives in utter solitude in the Arctic, taking weather measurements.

He has a budgie. I've been trying to find information on the budgie online, but there's none. I can't believe people don't care that this guy is a bird crazy!

EDIT: And in budgie news, Gnosis now steps up on command! Onto a perch, granted, not onto my hand, but still. Hubris is catching up, I think.

And they like the new toys I got them. :3:

painted bird fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

chthonic bell posted:

Best of luck with your new friend. :)

So there's a Russian meteorologist who lives in utter solitude in the Arctic, taking weather measurements.

He has a budgie. I've been trying to find information on the budgie online, but there's none. I can't believe people don't care that this guy is a bird crazy!

EDIT: And in budgie news, Gnosis now steps up on command! Onto a perch, granted, not onto my hand, but still. Hubris is catching up, I think.

And they like the new toys I got them. :3:

That's probably, statistically, the loneliest budgie on the planet